Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm hoping the remaining 10 just walk the gently caress out. It's clear he hasn't learned since he continues to focus on calling the behavior consensual, despite that being something of a fraught concept when you have so much loving power over another person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i don't think many of the players will survive the outbreak

Seeing this, I was wondering: "What were the event attendance requirements?" If everyone had to show proof of vaccination, I'd feel differently than if they had not, even if they required masks. BGG Con is going through a bit of this too, as they require you to sign a napkin that says, "I pinky swear I've been vaxxed or have a negative test but will not prove it."

According to this: https://www.fabevents.gg/safety: They require masks, have sanitation protocols, etc but nothing there regarding vaccines, tests or anything else to bar entry. They also say they are spacing people out, and it looks less crowded than some PAX's I've seen, but it looks like people are still within arm's reach of each other.

Here's hoping it's not a catastrophe. I certainly would have stayed home.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

oWoD was very bad. This isn't even the worst stuff I could find

Goddamn it's so weird looking at this 20 years later for so many reasons.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FMguru posted:

But yeah, the real reason they're in there is that Phil liked them when he was in college, therefore they are by definition the peak of what real important music is.

That is one thing millennials will always have over other generations. The music from that time period loving sucked.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Forgive me if I cannot tell if this is a joke or something he actually wore.

It's a reference to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617?lang=en

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

HBomberguy's video is good but his claim that the original stories were fairplay mysteries isn't really accurate.

I've been reading the stories for the first time recently (just finished The Blue Carbuncle, which I feel was the best short one so far) and I've noticed this too. Like, Sherlock will sometimes just do something away from Watson, then appear back later and have solved everything. However, at least Doyle normally has the decency to explain how he figured it out even if the audience's chances to grasp it ahead of time were slim. Instead of "I've got someone who has his internet searches" it's like, "Okay, based on these postmarks all being different, the culprits was traveling on a ship, so I found the ships that made port in those towns. I looked on the passenger manifests for Americans because blah blah blah." The two novel-length stories I've read so far were much better at than than the shorter ones have been so far, which makes me sad that there are only two more novels to look forward to.

Also, reading the multi-chapter background of the Mormons traveling to Utah makes it so extremely clear that he just wanted to write historical novels and backed into this popularity by accident.

To make this about trad games, I started reading these stories because the cooperative campaign board game Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars was so loving good, I had to get more.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I highly recommend Conan Doyle's The White Company, set during the Hundred Years' War.

Thank you kindly. I'll put that one my ever-growing pile of 'to read' :sweatdrop:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of big streamers were astroturfed by their parents hiring marketing companies, always keep in mind.

Citation needed? Not that I think it's impossible or untrue, but it also sounds like the type of thing people say without attribution because its so plausibly nefarious.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

in order for Dark Souls TTRPG Edition to be a true Dark Souls game, the game needs to be great to start, flounder near the end, and most importantly the fans need to loving ruin everything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

They've been using this excuse since 2018. It just didn't get any traction till now.

There is precious little reason to believe this is tactic is anything except an anti-gay and anti-trans canard. I mean, calling gay and trans identities 'fetishistic' is so loving disgusting and out of line that it's impossible to 'charitably' misinterpret this as some sort of "big tent, all ages, everyone's welcome" capitalist bullshit, which would still be wrong. This just screams past that level of "potentially innocent but unacceptable harm" to pure naked bigotry; that specific language makes me think that they perhaps adhere (knowingly or unknowingly) to some fringe hurtful anti-trans anti-scientific bullshit.

It's literally so simple: "That mod was wrong. We will endeavor to communicate better, and are reviewing our moderation policies." That's it! Then the controversy goes away. From a purely tactical perspective, I cannot fathom why they aren't immediately capitulating, but apparently they can't do that because they must loving hate gay and trans people so drat much they can't stomach the idea that they might visibly exist on their service that they paid to use with green spendable dollars.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

i fuckin wish autogynephilia was fringe bullshit the way the discourse goes these days :smith:

Yeah :smith: I was a tiny bit afraid to even bring it up and afford it even an iota of legitimacy, but them using the word 'fetishistic' just seemed super informative towards their motivations. So, I was trying to find a way to raise the thought while adequately dismissing it for the hurtful tripe that it is. However, you're right that its apparent broad subconscious pop cultural status probably means 'fringe' is not the right word.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I think the distinction is:

Crunch cookie: plain oatmeal is better
Chewy cookie: oatmeal raisin* is better

*You can replace raisins with some raisin-adjacent like dried cranberries or chocolate chips I guess. Just be careful because this dark sorcery is how you get oatmeal scotchies and then you'll never gently caress around with anything else :getin:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Who the gently caress is Ecklund again, the name is familiar but just barely.

A very helpful goon :razz: has put some information in the second OP of the Board Gaming thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

They sell Love Letter.

Not anymore, Z-Man does now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Was it built in Notepad, the right way?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Crossbows and Catapults is getting a reboot from Restoration Games who have brought back other 80s faves like Fireball Island as 'Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar' and Dark Tower as 'Return to Dark Tower'. Though arguably, they have had greater success (critically, if not financially) with Downforce and Unmatched.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

The April Fool's Joke being "haha, you thought this was an April Fool's joke" is the funniest thing GW has ever done.

I mean, that was how WOTC announced Unglued 2: Unhinged back in the day. But then again, that was a comedy set and before the Disinformation Age.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

The thing that gets me is when people like this NFT guy or the person working for him (who I've never heard of, they have credits on D&D and Pathfinder) complain about how articles like this unfairly portray them, "don't get it," etc, it's like they can't just be happy with trying to get the bag, they also insist that everyone pat them on the head while they're at it. If you're so convinced that your idea is so incredibly amazing that it's gonna revolutionize and disrupt everything then just do it and laugh all the way to the bank.

It's actually necessary for them to constantly reinforce themselves and dismiss doubters because the whole thing is a gigantic loving obvious scam and even stupid people might eventually cotton on to that fact, so you have to reassure the rubes somehow.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The same type of MLM bullshit gets pulled in virtually every NFT scam. To keep it in the trad games sphere, here's one of the head honcho asswipes at Van Ryder Games when he heard people were shittalking his NFT project.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/6704364/tzer

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I got into the only face-to-face DnD group I've ever had because my sister watched the episodes of Community about DnD and got interested, so I agreed to run it for her and some friends and we ended up having an amazing time. So I am in favour of it being on TV. Though I think those Community episodes are pretty accurate to what DnD is like, at least filtered through the sitcom lens of everything being extreme.

The only episode of that show I ever saw was Chevy Chase powertripping over the players with a super OP antagonistic player character, and the others having to find a way to defeat him It was wild how realistic it was.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

"I remember going to the door to let him in. He looked me dead in the eye and said, 'My friend, we failed at so many things. Let us also fail at making a video game.'"

That's so loving metal.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

DressCodeBlue posted:

I think you mean "HARDCORE."

If that's a reference to the game, I only played it for like an hour.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

loving crybaby chud shitweasel so buried in their own privilege they think that espousing white supremacy is "non-political" because they literally have never experienced anything else. It's just the wallpaper to them.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

People like this have no ability to stfu with, often works against them

Yeah, this is what it is. If someone believes this white supremacist nonsense but doesn't espouse it, in a practical sense there isn't much we can do short of reading their mind. The ones that 'get in trouble' (aka get a bunch of dumbfuck avowed chuds to buy their poo poo to 'stick it to those uppity so-and-so's' and start the gravy train selling brain pills) are the ones that compulsively cannot shut up, probably because they've been told from the cradle that they were super loving special so they are in love with the idea of their own genius and need to remind us all about just how fantastically S-M-R-T they are. But it's the left that are the snowflakes, right.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Which game lets you be a skeleton bard and play your rib marimbas?

Got ya covered (not really)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Splicer posted:

I've said it before but anyone organising a con that doesn't make masks mandatory and put a booth of nerdbait masks at the front door hates both people and money.

I'm wondering if we'll hear about an outbreak at BGG Spring. I think that considering the state it takes place in and the self-selection for people who are not conscientious about masking we won't hear about it, even though an outbreak will almost certainly happen/have happened (I forget if it's happened yet). But of course, we hear about things like the tragic death of an enforcer at Pax East (which has strict masking requirements and seems to take it quite seriously) and people will pretend it doesn't matter no matter what, despite the very big difference between a few isolated incidents at PAX and something like 1/3rd of people at The Gathering testing positive very rapidly (which had a permissive mask policy), according to anecdoal reports. But then again, it's not all bad. Origins sensibly put their mask policy back into place after the completely predictable spike.

Not that it matters for me. I will almost certainly not be at a convention for many years, perhaps not ever again. It's just not worth the risk of dying because some dumbfuck podcast listener coughed on me. I can't play games with 10,000 people anyway, so I'll just play with my friends who I know are vaccinated (except the one guy who legitimately medically cannot).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I think it's important to let people know, particularly if the person is alive and potentially making money off something and thereby still potentially continuing to cause harm.

I don't own any games from serious bad actors (that I know about) but I can imagine saying, "This game is called X. Before we begin, let me say that I do not suggest you buy it, because the designer Y'd. I would not have bought X but I had not found out that before doing so. I think it's important to tell you all this because bad actors prey on a lack of awareness, which is why I'm specifically telling you this. I still like the game in and of itself, which is why I'm suggesting we play it."

If you tell someone they don't care for whatever reason, ok. And, yeah, as I said, I have no history in actually attempting this. It will depends on your friends and how they would answer that same question. I did have to tell a friend about The Broken Token allegations after he bought an insert and was considering getting others, which was a bit awkward but there was no question to the importance of such a matter. Other cases might be slightly harder sells.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've been reading this and all it reinforces to me is that there are sooooo many people who are suuuuuper famous that I've neeeever heard of.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

With no sign of stopping, this post included.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm not a big 40k guy, but didn't they recently introduce the Primaris, aka a itsy-bitsy bit of heresy but they were better at killing xenos so no one cared. Why wouldn't or couldn't this be the same sort of thing? I forgot, we are only allowed to make one change per decade that doesn't actively reinforce hurtful sterotypes about the gender binary from the loving Thatcher era.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I only started re reading this thread recently, what page should I go to to learn more about the dude in the screenshot?

I think it mostly started here? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3849301&pagenumber=837&perpage=40#post524017181

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Dexo posted:

Organizing at WotC?

Maybe instead of Magic cards based on corporate icons like the Coca-Cola polar bears (broken in standard for costing a crisp refreshing Coke-Zero mana) and the cartoon guy from the 90s Home Depot in-store advertising, maybe we'll see Bakunin and Kropotkin legend cards :sickos:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an ellipses leading into an exclamation mark before. And boy howdy, I'm not enjoying the experience

Trailing off.... loudly...!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

WotC is a division of Hasbro.

It is also Hasbro's largest division now, I think? Or at least their most growing. They had over $1b in revenue. It's been massively perverted into a huge money grab.

Also, gently caress not offending these anti-choice women-hating coworkers. If they don't want to get dirty looks from their coworkers, then they need to have the common sense to keep their shameful, offensive, disgusting misogyny to themselves.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Covermeinsunshine posted:

It is interesting that a company so dedicated to having image of progressive and lgbt friendly has to put out a statement like this, so it does not offend its chud employees? You would think that a truly progressive company wouldn't have those, or they would be the ones scared into not opening their mouths.

You hit the nail on the head. They are dedicated to the image rather than the ideal.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Darwinism posted:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's nothing really wrong with them milking MTG as hard as they are. I've yet to meet a FLGS in existence that doesn't make a significant chunk of its revenue from MTG.

MTG is popular and FLGSes stock it because of that, therefor Hasbro should squeeze them as much as they want because they're often necessary to the FLGS surviving? Seems kind of bad, to me, to leverage your power solely for your own benefit in the short term, even if that's a basic tenet of capitalism. Like... Hasbro isn't at risk if they don't make 10% higher profits on their card game, a FLGS can go through an existential threat if they lose the consistency of MTG income.

"We want all the money we've made before that's turned us into the giant we are, and now we want a bigger cut of your profits because you can't say no," is perfectly legal, but it's absolutely wrong.

I'm going to concur with this dissent. M:tG is keeping lots of game stores afloat, and I am happy for that, because it gives me a place to play board games and Netrunner. However, let us not be confused into believing WotC is the ally of FLGS's.

They've turned their backs on FLGS's by favoring Amazon and Walmart in distribution, letting them get massively undercut by behemoths despite the fact that you can't actually play M:tG at Target unless they have a Starbucks inside. They've also cut out the FLGS's by offering direct sales with massively overpriced and needed reprints in the form of Secret Lairs. In those Secret Lair products, they've also started hoovering up product placement buxxx by polluting their game with diarrhoea like Stranger Things and The Walking dead, and yet for whatever reason none of that extra profit goes to the FLGS's who keep the game alive and playable. On top of all that, they've provided FLGS's with their greatest possible competitor: MTG Arena: a very Magic-like experience with none of the gamer funk. You just have to give up the ability to buy cards directly or sell out of the game. Instead, you must buy into a horrible live-service lootbox economy, casting your money into the sea as if you were a boat owner. Like all live service garbage, it's an exercise to make the executive class momentarily turgid as they siphon money out of the wallets of the nerds worldwide.

So yeah, I'm not exactly willing to give Wizards a pass just because they (massive air quotes) "support" local game stores. It's true that most FLGS's need M:tG to survive, but WotC isn't doing it because they just love local game stores so much; it's because they need them. For now, at least.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

So I don't reddit much at all, but this "blocking people to suppress dissent and artificially elevate your ideas to make them appear popular and uncontroversial" seems like a problem I would have heard of before now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanlis posted:

You are correct. It started rolling out in January 2022 and the abusive potential wasn’t apparent to all subreddits immediately.

That's what I figured. Well, I look forward to Reddit dealing with it in like 6 years.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

With me Amazon likes to play "would you like more Transformers" (which is valid) or "how many toaster ovens do you need?"

What about a Toaster Oven Transformer? They could be called Preheat or Broiler or EZ.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Eastmabl posted:

https://tabletop.events/conventions/ffa-gaming-event

"Sponsors & Vendors Will be kept Confidential until the day of the Event. To keep Retaliations down"

"sign-ups will only be in-person starting Friday, March 24, 2023. (The Early Bird gets the worm, as they would say in 1968)"

Uhh don't they realize that by making anything remotely public that people could contact the event venue and tell them "Hey these guys are loving Nazi Alt-Right Fash Fucks, maybe don't let them come around"?

edit: Unless they own it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Talked about more in the Battletech thread, but Catalyst Game Labs announced they were cutting ties with one of their most prominent authors (both of books and game-material) due to their "online activities which do not align with (CGL)'s publishing vision".

Probably because the writer is doing a series of fiction books where a "left-wing extremist" government "force conservatives into concentration camps", with all the foaming at the mouth tropes about "woke culture.

Said author is having a big mad about it online.
Weird that this so-called conservative author is such a detractor of the free market :thunk: