Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nifara posted:

Kevin Crawford is, in my eyes, the uncontested champion of RPG kickstarters. The man never misses a beat and even if you're not someone who goes for his stuff normally you have to admit it's superbly and expertly done, with solid production values and, yes, delivers ahead of schedule.

There's literally no one else I can think of who I can say all of those things about. If he ran a course on how to be a consummate professional in the field of RPG kickstarter delivery I'd sign up immediately.

I think he’s written up what he’s done in various places but IIRC it boils down to having the work (writing, lining up artists, etc) done before you launch the kickstarter. Makes everything else run smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kai Tave posted:

I'll be honest, I've dropped like $100-150 on Kickstarters before but it's usually for pledge tiers promising something along the lines of an art commission, and for commissioned art that's not an unreasonable price on top of getting an RPG. I can't really think of an RPG, just an RPG, that would make me want to spend $200-500 on it. Like I get that it comes in a cube and has a plastic hand and there's something there about bestoke adventure paths, but I just can't wrap my head around something that would make me think "this is totally worth it" even if it was made by someone who I didn't relentlessly make fun of. Greg Stolze might have a fuckin amazing idea for a brand new RPG but if he wants that much money for it I'm still gonna need a hell of a lot of convincing before jumping in and even then it might be more a case of "I'll wait 'til someone wants to offload their copy."

I did like $130 on the last Delta Green kickstarter but that was specifically for buying several hardcover books at a set price point each, it wasn't on one product. It's hard for me to imagine spending that much on one book, but if it was big enough and nice enough I can understand having to charge that much.

IDK if I'd buy it, but I can imagine charging it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jimbozig posted:

There are already competitive minis games and they don't do much as a spectator sport. What makes anyone think that watching a dnd battle arena will be better than watching a Warhammer tournament?

Nobody thinks this except for the idiots throwing money at anything vaguely e-sports sounding to try to cash in on it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder how likely they are to walk back or spin off Age of Sigmar. It seems like people have come around on some of the new factions but all the new names for things are stupid and forgettable.

There is a 0% chance, it's a good game that does well in sales.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hyphz posted:

Partly. And the fact that a friend who saw my shame shelves commented that he wondered if they “saw me coming”. And the other gold panning sales that tend to pop up at this time, and some comments on Discord about Savage Worlds. Did ya know Chuubo is a platinum seller on DTRPG? How many successful games of it do you know?

There tends to be a problem when what gets rewards in the industry does not match what customers mostly actually want, and that seems to be the case here.

You know it's ok to just, like, buy books to read

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basically none of those games are really going concerns, and if more stuff comes out for them at some point as long as the same people keep working on them they'll be fine

I mean, if anything, they're already games where the rules are written according to the settings' physics

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanlis posted:

Justin Alexander's "disassociated mechanics" crap pissed me off as much as anyone, and still does. As far as I know he has never apologized or given any indication that he knows he was being a jerk.

I'm not worried about him screwing up Atlas' RPGs, because at some point in his life he went from "the core concept of GUMSHOE is stupid" to "here's how I spent 90+ hours of my life running a Trail of Cthulhu campaign." I dunno what happened. Doesn't make up for anything, and in particular the dead naming stuff is ugly. But he is capable of writing competent, useful gaming material.

He's a complete loving tool but I'm not particularly worried about him running roughshod over Robin Laws and Greg Stoltze and ruining their games

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Like I said earlier, as long as he's not like launching a new Ars Magica line that he's got rules input on he's in charge of a bunch of properties that he can't really damage, unless Atlas Games is going to just chuck the psuedo-Auteur-driven model they've got going on and let him start cranking out Unknown Armies books or something

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

Also donating what he got paid by Zak to a charity for abused women was a good touch by Hite. All Magpie Guy can fall back on is 'Hey, wha' happun?'

I think this is the main difference. Concrete action and a promise for more action is the only thing that really backs up an apology from someone in Hite's position.

If he doesn't do anything else and just lets it lie, it'll be incredibly disappointing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jimbozig posted:

1. Hite's apology was very good, and giving away his cut of the money from Zak's project is a convincing show of good faith.
2. Hite is a republican in 2019 and thus I already wasn't going to buy any of his stuff. He's the reason I don't back KARTAS on Patreon even though I like the show quite a lot.

If Hite doesn’t follow through on what he said about taking further actions to try to address what he’s done then I think he belongs in the bad pile too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This ain't it, chief

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hm, I got called out for using fake statements to defend myself, what should I do?

Ah, yes, write a long lovely post centered around a statement from someone else that “totally exonerates” me

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PST posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a zak sock puppet

https://twitter.com/Bethhmm

Created 2 days ago, minimal tweets, suddenly jumps in and within a couple of exchanges with Zak is saying:

https://twitter.com/Bethhmm/status/1096037812170706945

Zak's doing that 'discussing with myself' thing again.

Yep, here's where he got the profile picture from:

https://twitter.com/chaydacassa

l
m
a
o

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It is, for example, more than I get.

Which is not to say that they don't deserve it.

That’s sad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If he wants to embrace Nordic LARP so much he should just stay contained within that community.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

Wait is he ruining Black Dog Games now? Because if anyone can, it's him.

No, he just named his blog after it because that imprint represents everything he wants the WoD to be

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I found the gamescience dice to be very light and unsatisfying to roll, which was a real disappointment.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hadn't heard of the *DREAM stuff before reading this thread, it's really cool

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Maybe Holden has turned the corner but stuff like this still makes me raise an eyebrow

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/1212727688085090305

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Here's a post-mortem for one of the more highly-backed ZineQuest projects: https://uncannyspheres.blogspot.com/2021/03/zine-quest-3-post-mortem-drain.html

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

Does Battletech still have an advancing plot, or does everyone ignore what happened and just use the part of the timeline they like? What was the state of the galaxy at the latest point in the time line?

They just came out with a big metaplot book advancing the timeline like last week, but yes also most people just use the part of the timeline they like. It's a bigger deal to choose a time period to play in BT because of how it determines what tech is available for mechs on the table, it's a really big part of gameplay.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

EdsTeioh posted:

Speaking of that Avatar KS, is that company legit? I see that this is their 3rd project, but I'm not sure if the previous ones even shipped or not. Insight?

They're a real company who makes real games, yes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Our local Gaming Goat franchise is changing it's name, so looks like that dude's actions are having some lasting consequences.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

Um...what? Like, can someone go into more detail of what "AMA on 8chan" is referring to?

They decided to run an ask me anything on 8chan before people told them it was a horrible idea

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

So GW did a 2 minute massively expensive video that says The Squats are back. The community did not appreciate it.

WotC did a press release to say Spelljammer is coming back. The community did not appreciate it.

Warlord Games did a picture of their next release- a 1-1 scale M5 Stuart tank. The community did appreciate it and would certainly buy it.

Anyone else do crappy pranks at the expense of their fans?

The best part about the GW video is that, according to some leaks that have accurately predicted basically everything to come out this and most of last year, it's not a prank.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

OtspIII posted:

determining the price of wheat in a fishing village versus a forest town is crunchy and cumbersome. I really don't know who it's for

Me, it's for me. I'll never use it because of who made it, and there are close enough alternatives, but if Macris wasn't Macris I would be trying to work it into games.

I also spent a while running a traveller game that was all merchant focused, stupid excessive commodity tracking in games just appeals to me for whatever reason

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 8, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's your take on Ultraviolet Grasslands` various economic mechanics? Do they scratch the right itch for you?

You're the first person I've seen mention them, but I'll definitely check the book out, it's kinda flown under my radar.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

An article I read made it sound like the other security measures around the game (CCTV delay, signal scans, whatever) along with the, uh, physical specifics, make the anal bead hypothesis extremely unlikely to the point of being impossible, but it's still really funny so I want to believe in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Love all these elitist arguments getting wrapped up in a bunch of words to make them seem less elitist, like people can’t just like playing D&D