Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kurieg posted:

Right, but the game was built on a foundation of "Things were better back in my day" and had a grognardy developer who made a mathematically impossible fight and mocked the community for not being able to beat it.

Sorry what? He just push a boss to hard or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

FMguru posted:

There's even a Dying Earth fantasy RPG set on the Dying Earth.

(It's great).

Dying earth as a setting is so dope.... I just wish the source material was better. Pretty hit or miss

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

Paizo just announced their plans: they are releasing a new license, the Open RPG Creative License ("ORC"), under which they will publish future work. They are working with other TTRPG makers to make this license, including Kobold Press, Chaosium, Legendary Games, Rogue Genius, and Green Ronin. This license will be owned by an organization which has a history of managing open licenses, and they floated the Linux foundation as a possibility.

Announcement here.

Yeah, honestly going to be really funny when it works out and none of the Hasbro executives can quite understand what happened

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dexo posted:

My guess is by the end of this, the rule from either WotC themselves or a Judge is going to be something to the effect of

"WotC is able to update the OGL and make the changes they want, however they are unable to retroactively enforce that on things published before *insert date here" under the 1.0 OGL

I don't think any judge or legal proceedings would end in WotC being allowed to after the fact grasp control over the things released with the OGL, which is what happens if WotC is allowed to just publish changes like in that leaked document.

The dream would be wizards taking it to court and losing a bunch of copyrighted material like GW did through some disaster of a trial

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I just caught up on all this insanity, so basically dont ever play D&D and MTG or anything under WOTC and Hasbro ever, got it!

The mtg thing is bonkers. Some exec truly looked at a cash cow and tried to milk it harder.

$1k for 4x boosters that aren't even usable is truly funko/nft level weirdness

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

FishFood posted:

The Pathfinder Adventure Path is kind of like a very-thick magazine and is basically a successor to Paizo's old version of Dungeon magazine. The bulk of it is devoted to that month's adventure, but there's always a couple of articles that give a deep dive into parts of the setting, monsters, etc. It's the most subscriptiony thing they offer but it's still pretty substantial.

This looks cool as hell. Monthly curated campaigns that slowly get put out to a theme seems like a really smart "subscription" service

I think Hasbro execs are seeing this stuff and not realizing they need to actually put the work into cranking out monthly content to charge for it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

By this reading, Paizo, Kobold Press, etc, can just infinitely publish new material under 1.0a, since they have a perpetual license. Indeed, anybody who used 1.0a, even somebody who did it just now, can use OGL 1.0a perpetually.

Is this what ultimately brings in a court case?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I suspect the damage is done now. Good luck Wizards....

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I think the cancelled subscriptions really spooked them.

Coupled with paizo selling a poo poo ton of books all of a sudden

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, they are licensing the use of the name slaadi or mind Flayer to refer to an aberration. None of the specific expressions of those creatures as they exist in D&D,

Which is why Strahd is the big deal here, you are now licensed to make derivative works featuring the vampire, Cound Strahd von Zarovich, as long as he does not resemble the copyrighted expressions of that character in D&D materials outside this.

Which would be limiting if anyone gave a poo poo about official art, descriptions or backstory for Strahd showing up in stuff.

E: like, for Strahd it is very specifically his name as a dracula that is valuable.

So my mindflayer that's just a big brain with a whip is good to go?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dexo posted:

Rip android netrunner

agreed. that game was the poo poo

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nah. Some exec stormed in one day after sustained community backlash, byond cancellations, and other companies like paizo making record sales.

Someone got told to fix things in a hurry

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dnd will be fine for a long time. If anything's going to collapse Hasbro/wizards it will be do to over-monitization of magic. There's a lot more cardgames, boardgames etc pulling attention away from it lately and you can only burn so many bridges before people stop putting money into it.

I know I played as a kid pretty heavily and wouldn't ever suggest it to mine nowadays with how they've ramped up monetisation. I imagine there's a lot of people like me out there who feel the same and mtg relies on new generations being pumped into the ecosystem

Now that said, funkopops have never been doing better and seem to follow the same sort of model so what do I know...

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't think Magic can really fail. I think you need something to take the throne. Magic sits on a throne built from the bodies of failed pretenders.

Next up: Lorcana. Will the House of Mouse finally unseat Garfield's juggernaut?

Weirdly I think for a lot of people it fills the same void as a good boardgame etc. It's not that another cardgame will necessarily dethrone it so much as young nerds will go play boardgames, videogames etc instead.

Especially when the costs are a few decks vs a console, stack of solid boardgames, etc. I think a parent is more likely to throw a deck of pokemon cards etc at their kid than ever get them into magic nowadays.

I was really hoping lcgs etc overtook ccg's, but the community angle is always going to be really difficult to overcome vs magic/pokemon/etc.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Didnt they just have to dump millions of dollars of unsold product in a landfill three weeks ago
Wasn't aware of this, owns.

$30million getting shredded because of overstock at warehouses

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 9, 2023

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Best cardgame ive played In ages is still keyforge and I really hope it makes a comeback post covid.

Richard Garfield "deck builder" where the decks are randomly enerated by a computer before theyre even packaged and you aren't allowed to modify them.

Reaaaaly cool discovery process trying out a new deck. Because you can't modify the deck it lets them make some really busted rear end cards that you couldn't get away with with a traditional deck builder

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Kalman posted:

So it’s a deck builder where you can’t build your deck and where money can completely buy wins because decks aren’t balanced with one another?

Can’t imagine why it isn’t more popular.

I bought a dozen or so decks to play with my wife and it ends up working weirdly enough. nothings perfectly balanced, but balanced enough to make it more about finding what a deck does well

the format for local store's was more or less buying a deck for the night for $10 which is super reasonable vs showing up with a $500 net-deck like magic

Didn't know about the algorithm issue, that's nuts/amazing

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Kinda beside the point, but is gencon the avenue for pitching games?

Id feel incredibly award taking that avenue at a convention

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

But also battle nuns

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

jarofpiss posted:

the gw judge dredd minis were great

GWs whole 40k gig started because of dumb poo poo licensing stuff on the backend of making judge Dredd minis.

(a series that does fascist parody/critique much better imo)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Paranoia rips, and is a really goofy version of what your looking for

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah I was going to say, dooms whole thing was that Mick Gordon said he wasn't allowed full review of masters etc and theres been a bunch of back and forth over it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Keyforge getting hacked/whatever and beginning to pick upstream right as covid hit sucked.

Legitimately one of the best card game experiences I've hasa really nice back and forth, and it dodges the issue the magic has where some rich nerds spend $500 to net-deck and win a bunch of events.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Theres a star trek thread right?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Magic is definitely on my death watchlist, but I'm really not psychic enough to know if it's going to be a year, or 10.

Hasbro does not give a poo poo about its longevity, and it seems to be sliding into the realm of Funko pops more everytime I look at it. As per usual, the 1 thing it has going for it is that it's everywhere, and rich nerds are happy to throw money at it.

I played a stack of magic as a kid, and would get my kids into it if the business model weren't such a cash grab. Maybe I'll just proxy a big cube one day

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 8, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nystral posted:

All of the last year or so has made it so I want to just sell out my collection and just move on with my life. But I don’t know of a service that I can just ship my stuff to and let them buy it all at once.

Go find an enthusiastic lfgs, or some friend enthusiastic about pricing it out

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just give me a new dnd flavored hexen IMO

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

I used to collect heroclix, I really liked the game, and was collecting a bunch of marvel figures (mostly from amazon), but stopped when I got a bunch from free RPG days and realized that the power creep of newer figures kept outpacing the old ones, so I'd have to keep keep buying brand new figures all they came out, and I didn't really know anyone in my area who played it.

Like there's power creep in a lot of games, but this wasn't even close. The newer figures had clearly better stat blocks from what I saw.

it's a shame, since people here have said, the base game was fun, but the only way I'd get back into it is to play some sort of limited format. I honestly didn't know there were still making the game and there's still people playing it.

Yeah this reminds me of the dirty time I played heroclix.

I think at the time there was a convention superman you could buy off of eBay that completely dominated everything else.

That and it was very much a booster pack style format where you'd buy random minis and hope you didn't get multiples of the common ones which is stupid as hell

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Larian will pair up with critical role or something crazy IMO

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Old management also thought they were directly competing with Pokemon so you know, not the brightest.

I mean, they're sort of right in a broad sense. Card games, boardgames, miniatures etc are all filling that silo of "things to occupy your nerdy child", and if everyone's spending all their money on magic or pokemon less of it's potentially going into miniatures.

That said, not putting out a videogame because it's going to eat into tabletop profits is a pretty bad take. Those 2 audiences are pretty far removed from each other a lot of the time, and has a lot of potential to double dip into people who have the money to spend.

GW lives or dies based on bringing in kids bugging their parents to get into the hobby. Mid 30's IT guys definitely bring in the lion's share of money for them, but as those guys die/leave the hobby they need to be replaced by new buyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

gently caress this nerd lol

Real cones of dunshire energy