Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Love that loving thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ionizing radiation is good for the soul

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is the combine fleet button gone or am I stupid? I'm drag and dropping fleets together rn

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I bought fifteen cruisers from the nomads in 2243 more than tripling my fleet power. Also I am only paying one naval capacity per CR, barely any upkeep and they seem to not take part in the fleet manager thing. Is this intended?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Setting primitives policy to hunting doesn't appear to actually give food. It shows 6 food on the tile but it doesn't collect it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is the AI food implosion thing fixed in any beta patch or mod I could download. Clicking around and I noticed about 1/3 of the dudes in the galaxy are forevereally starving and loving it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

I am trying to figure out how to murder corvette spam without using corvettes.

Use corvettes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dropbear posted:

Are federations just completely broken? I just formed my first one, and the only other member (so far) keeps spamming me to declare war on someone I def. don't want to. I decline.. and he instantly asks again, forever, until my relations are infinitely in the negative and they leave.

You just have to accept everything anyone suggests in a federation, then? Odd oversight, considering the game has been out so long..

If you were trying to get two guys who hate eachother to join a federation with you it's probably not going to work. Just pick one and kill the other.

That said the way fleet manager interacts with Federations is terrible (namely it doesn't) but I'd expect the "diplo update" that includes to the space UN to also include some love for federations. Though they are a bit annoying sometimes I find that the current incarnation is better than any previous one. Before, you were inevitably hamstrung by your fedmates as Idiot 3 System Rump State On The Galactic Rim vetoed all of your war declarations/attempts to include new members.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 2, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah the platforms/stations need more survivability later. Gimme something like a planetary shield module that fits on it for -75% damage received and make the last starbase tier have significantly more HP

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There should be a deskeletonization purge mode.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Maybe they're going to roman numerals instead of stars? You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen people get confused because they don't realize that Big Star = Rank 5

If they go with roman numerals we will get to instead experience the surprising number of people who never learned how to read roman numerals in grade school.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I don't even look at the amount of research I just give them sensors and research agreement and add energy on top until they say yes. Gimme my influence.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

Gallant uses emitters against Morrigi
Goofus puts emitters on his own drones

...I may have been Goofus.

always be goofus

morrigi who rolled emitters was the only thing that could stop "zuul garbage scow fleet with purple lasers in every slot" early on. You'd just end up with large expanding fields of debris as they spawned in and died instantly to lightning.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm playing as Passive Aggressive Psychic Pacifist Turtle People right now. The rules are simple:

1) Only build military ships in a defensive war.
2) Retrofit all military ships after a war to have nothing, not even FTL drives.
3) Retrofit them back to your top-tier military ships the instant someone declares war on you, preferably tailored to counter their ships.
4) Insult everyone who shares a border with you, every time you can.
5) Be Fanatic Pacifists
6) Be turtles.

I'm probably going to get a Domination victory through habitat spam. It's 2300 and I have about 10 habs, pull in 1k/month in minerals, and am within a couple years of my final tradition tree. I'm at my starbase cap, all of which are Citadels and have a full compliment of defense platforms. I literally can't spend all my money.

Question: If I take the colossus project as my final Ascension perk, will defensive wars against the AI be total wars where I can take territory in a war? I'm influence-limited and can't afford to claim my neighbor's space.

Why would you take it when you can just bubble all their planets until you control the required percentage of habitable planets to win? Who needs a claim when you can just delete their side?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I forgot about the bubble.

Yeah, I'm gonna put everyone into a shell.

That's turtle as gently caress so it fits.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They may not have had the chance to flee, if migration was banned under in their former 'main' empire there would be no way for them to get to you (also check your own migration and refugee policies to make sure they're compatable). And unlike Displacement purge which encourages them to get out the actual extermination purge may not have left enough time to get anyone out before they got turned into hamburger.

Also, today's diary on the Niven update:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...gation.1096931/

Some of them should be able to independently acquire means to emigrate even if it's banned imo. I am literally exterminating a species I don't think they'd care too much about following my prohibitions against finding whatever flying scrap heap they can find and attempting to flee by whatever means necessary.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It was apparently one of the ideas they had during the 2.0 rework. Mining bases and poo poo would just get built automatically and for free by the starbase, since every system is guaranteed to have one anyway.

I think they probably should have done it - yeah it's a big change, but nothing of value would be lost.

Even if I still have to pay for them, being able to right click a system or planet with resources and tell the station to build a mine with some little local construction drones would be nice.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Death to tiles

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I just want to be able to build worlds into enormous overpopulated megacities which are fed and supported by my other systems. If I'm allowed to do that then I'll be happy. When you have an entire planet to work with and future technology the population limit should be astronomical.

Limiting the number of mines and farms is fine but it has always felt wrong to have the nexus of your empire pretty much stop developing once you fill the tiles aside from the occasional upgrade. Megacities are a pretty standard trope.

Oh and the micro. I run multiple mods to automate upgrading and improve sector AI but the planet micro still gets pretty bad as the game progresses.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

How the bel do I stand a chance against the contingency as a robot hive mind? And the war in heaven hasn’t even ended despite these new robofleets overpowering everyone else

Did you do the signal special project? You are pretty hosed if you don't.

If you did then it should be fine. They seem to die easiest to direct hull damage weapons. Take the perk for bonuses vs crises if you need it and try to kill the hub(s) near you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Stellaris 2: These Space Butterfly's are Brutal

I wonder if the most common player selected govt with cuties is fanatic purifier?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The new tech that lets you teleport science ships around owns. I don't have to manually fiddle with switching leaders to different ships anymore!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have a save that crashes every time i try to do stuff involving merging troop transports and also at random hopefully this will fix it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I've started this game multiple times but have yet to live through any kinds of wars or crises, I always end up getting ground to paste. Is there a (good) quick start guide or anything online?

The entire objective of the early game is to make the red gem number go up basically. If you have resources you can afford things like fleets and stations to not die.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can sell food so it feels less bad to have a lot of it now. Cold or dry is still better but I pick planet pref mostly on theme.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Let me build organic ships that are like 50% food as a civic. Meat ships from meat planet plz.

https://youtu.be/ZP7K9SycELA

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I just wish there was a button that said "auto upgrade and if there's not enough energy to do it then remove a shield and replace it with armor."

The ratio can change a lot earlier depending on tech rolls for systems vs reactor upgrades.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I always put afterburners on everything. Gotta go fast

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shoot lightning guns at them and disruptors.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I don't like playing robots because of the robot micro that is required to minmax your robots/tiles.

Especially since the sector AI goes absolutely insane with any planet you give them and scrambles them while ignoring all of their bonuses, even if you've fully queued the construction of robots and placed them how you wanted.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

So a guy I just clobbered in a war snuck a fleet through my territory while the open borders treaty was still in effect and murdered the curator station in my borders.

What the gently caress?

TURMP. You should always do this as exterminators/devouring swarm/fanatic purifiers.

Aethernet posted:

Badboi civics getting open borders after a war might be dumb.

Probably. The current implementation is pretty funny though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How do you all get so many megastructures. Do you play on larger maps? I rarely get more than repaired ones plus habs and gates. I'd rather build more fleets and declare more wars. Payoff is so slow on stuff like Dyson spheres.

Also I have decided my favorite flavor of war crime committer is devouring swarm. Dat early ramp up is without peer.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

:eyepop:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nightgull posted:

Those things aren’t unique to xenophile.

This is why Xenophile is trash. You don't get anything from it that you wouldn't get otherwise if you had just taken some other non-shithead ethics. Migration is slow and bad and the border friction reduction doesn't matter pretty much at all. If you want more pops with different climate preferences, doing it via migration treaties and waiting is slow as gently caress. Far far better/faster to go take some pops from someone who hates you anyways.

If you are a Good Guy type of nation looking for allies you will probably get it from mutual rivalry and shared threat modifiers vs a hated enemy before you get it from the border friction bonus. And once this happens you will get those migration treaties same as any Xenophile.

Egalitarian is the most important Good Guy multicultural empire ethic and is rather strong in its own right. Hopefully the Xenophile diplo bonus will actually matter once the space UN or whatever is around.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The best bit about xenophile is really the diplomacy buff, because it allows you to make friends with everyone a lot easier.

Maybe my maps bias towards shithead empires since I have so many saved ones but I usually only have 1 or 2 empires nearby that would even conceive of being friendly. There's so many reasons for people to hate you or at least not like you terribly much. If they are a badboy civ, xenophobe, have an opposing ethic, or are a hegemonic imperialist they are not going to want to be friends with you to the point of getting pacts going unless there's some other neighbors that you can hate together (if ever).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jazerus posted:

this isn't true since migration isn't slow and bad if you're a xenophile, see

You have to own a planet that the pops will move to which requires having a gaia honeypot, robotic colonization, or a bunch of hab bonus which takes tech. Then you have to have a migration treaty with someone who has a full planet and then wait for the migration to happen, which gives you one pop at a time.

OR you could just send a bunch of hicks with guns to some neighbor's first colony and round up a whole bunch of them in one go in 2210.

Xenophile should let you build colony ships using the pops of people who you have migration treaties with even if they don't currently live in your borders. Could just make it a diplomacy tradition or something.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 11, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rainbow space wood and rock candy required to make ships now!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

Yes. Every way in fact

:hai:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Build more gateways

Yeah once you get to the mid game and it becomes cumbersome to traverse your increasingly unwieldy empire, you should totally try to turtle up with stations to augment your defense and get gateways ASAP if you can't take all of your neighbors at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Razorbeak Wood is a city name too

And I thought I was a smac nerd wow you guys have an encyclopedic knowledge of this poo poo lol