Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
So did Cherryh put the last nail in the coffin of the one-planet Nexus strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Hahaha, if you use the Planet Cracker on Earth (even if it generated as a tomb world), there's a chance of a "Hyperspace Bypass" wormhole spawning with one opening in Sol :allears:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
My Driven Assimilators game is hilarious. Boxed in by the Automated Dreadnought at the system connecting the two spiral arms, the Guardians of Zanaam block my expansion north into the rest of the arm, and the Ancient Caretakers are chilling out to the south. No other sentients but some Stone Age cyclopes occupying the system just before the Zanaam bottleneck, and two(!) enclaves, one of them nerds and the other theater kids.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Agreed, but I don't mind stacking whacky ones so you can have your psyonic genemodded cyborgs that build space elevators. Also stop gating all the cool megastructures behind five ascension picks.

I would like to see cyborg supersoldiers and psychics engineered to the pinnacle of their species' potential for flavor reasons, but also because the prospect of organizing all the ascension paths apart under one banner using the current vassal mechanics makes smoke come out of my ears. Yet the challenge calls to me.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
If nothing else roll Machine Age into World Shapers, ffs

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's a good thing my Fanatic Purifier ruler was Influential when he ascended to an immortal robot body, because all 100+ of my pops that used to be an even split of belonging to the Xenophobe faction or the Militarist faction are almost to a synth Materialists now and not nearly as happy and Influence-producing as when they just wanted to scour the galaxy of life. All the ethics attraction modifiers in the universe can't seem to make even one pop switch back, either

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I have a bug in one particular save where every time I establish communications with a new empire, I have to go through the greetings options dialogue at least three times before both it and the pop-up alert for away. Otherwise the patch and Distant Stars are good (but would be better without planet tiles)!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The fleet pathfinder AI seems to still poop itself where L-Gates are involved, because while the Fanatic Purifiers have zero problem nearly overwhelming my gate starbases with wave after wave coming through their L-Gate, if I don't hand-hold my fleets who are in or decide to route through the L-Cluster they'll get stuck warping out of the very first system they start autopiloting out of until I tell them to do something else. As soon as I complete a regular gate network to shore up this weakness though, suddenly navigating L-Gates are no problem at all for the gremlins steering my ships :iiam:

e: the Dyson Sphere I built around a red giant ended up being just a bit smaller than the star itself, so you can't even see it, and I can't resize with planet_size because the Dyson Sphere is blocking me from selecting the star :catstare:

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 1, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Staltran posted:

Assimilation fixed, hive/machine worlds keep rare resource deposits

oh ffs, I was wondering why as soon as I tried synth-esizing all the errant pops in my empire my economy went to poo poo and stayed there

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Fixing a Colossus is just like the Covenant in Halo repairing a Forerunner Dreadnought.

edit: I'd also like it if Ringworld's were Halo sized, that would make much more sense given their limited space. If they were just like an artificial planet you built in orbit that would make more sense to me. And/Or a project for the Ark to make Halo rings en mass that are also Cossossi.

The habitats occupy the same niche that Halo/Culture satellite-sized ringworlds do, even if none of them really convey it with their designs. I mean, nothing in game is to scale, but even being generous to the Niven Ringworlds they stand out only giving 6.25 Earth's worth of building room when they should give millions of Earth's of space. Of course there's no way to sanely implement anything close to that but four size-25 planets has never made them feel really worth building, especially now that Ecumenopolises are in and so much easier to use.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

LogisticEarth posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but i had a thought about the problem with the First League chain being so overpowered. Part of the problem is Ecumenopoli being so radically different. However, having radically different planets like that is great, and Id rather see other megastructures buffed rather than cool ones "leveled out".

For the First League specifically, Fen Habbanis is a unique ecumenopolis because it has the "ruined arcologies" blockers. The other thing that makes it unique is that it gives you an ecumenopolis without using an ascension perk, which is huge. Even at 1000 energy a pop, the blockers are only a nuisance past the early game.

The rational and quick solution to this would be to lock the "ruined arcology" blocker clearing tech behind the Arcology Project perk. That way, you only get a gimped (but still quite useful) Fen Habbanis unless you snag the perk.

Clearing the Ruined Arcology blockers is actually 1000 energy AND 1000 minerals base, though that's still not enough to significantly slow developing it. I turned my Feb Habbanis III into a Forge World, used the absurd return you get selling alloys to fund turning most of the rest of my planets into Tech Worlds, and even from a start where I was blocked in by Xenophobes, a Marauder Clan, two FEes, and quickly force vassalized by the powerful local "democratic crusaders", by the mid-game date I'd set at 2325 I was researching nearly all repeatable techs and had a military to match Fallen Empires. So of course the one I'd set my sights on next with their own Ecumonopolis Awakened :v:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
ughhh they still haven't fixed Dyson Spheres clipping into or becoming entirely enveloped by their star, this bothers me more than it should!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I hope you still get the achievement for leading the League of Non-Aligned powers if you didn't let anyone else join because a) they're not even good enough for cannon fodder and I didn't want to miss the achievement from not being Federation leader when the war was won, b) I think I would have instantly won a Federation victory if I let everyone who wanted in join.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

binge crotching posted:

If you're lucky you get the Hell Dimension version of the Dimensional Portal colony event. Spiritualist empires can pray it closed, which gives them Psionic Theory, and 80% of the research needed to complete it.

drat, I always end up with it as a Materialist empire and just leave it open. Apparently as godless empires if you send Doomguy or whatever in to close the portal, you get a tech that increases Technician output by 10%. I'm gonna start doing that, I usually end up terraforming the planet anyways

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
same but 5x costs :getin:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

You can spin a sector off as a vassal, or just trade those systems away to a neighbour who might want them.

But the correct answer is to ignore the admin cap, you're not supposed to stay under it.*

*unless you've developed your research to the point where you're adding another 15 admin cap about every year through the repeatable tech

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Anyone who claims Fen Habbanis isn't a game-changer, enabling tall empires or at the very least shaving a hundred+ years off a snowball, is a liar. Even then, a powerful hostile empire or crisis could fire and glom over a turtler without the boost of a city planet, as the only thing that allows them to be viable on higher difficulties and denser galaxies is just not getting attacked for the first 200-300 years of the game--cutting that to half or a third of the time spent researching with a thumb up your rear end is huge.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Save scumming the last research project can also help with finagling the Precursor system spawn

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
credit reddit

:3:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The Ringworld didn't snap apart because it was made of unobtanium; the attitude adjusters were used to keep the Ringworld from just sliding off or colliding with its host star because it doesn't actually orbit. After a bunch of nerds pointed out "the Ringworld is unstable" it became the plot point of the second book.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
If you have an Ironman save you need to unfuck with the console (or make less boring by helping the AI cheat more), just load up Cheat Engine, there's a table that enables console without breaking achievements and is compatible with all the 2.2 releases so far

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Black Pants posted:

Synth ascension is pretty boring imo. Cyborg gives you a bunch of perks, whereas last I bothered taking it, the only benefit of synth ascension (other than being immune to the strange signal, which is unique amongst machine races, not biological ones) was immortal leaders - which you can get by just letting your pre-synth robots be leaders anyway. Also it makes every spiritualist empire (including the FE's) super-hate you rather than just considering you scum. And what's most egregious is that if you use the 'assimilation' default species rights, as I think you're forced to(?), every species in your empire becomes the same robot 'species' as the base one you got.

I'm not sure how it works in the post-2.2 rework, but not having the double-dipping growth of biological pops AND robot pop at the same time sounds awful too. But I'm on my first real game since then and I'm playing materialist without ascension, so I'm not sure how ANY other empire type handles growth yet.

Robot pops can't be leaders, only synths can and only with the Synthetic Personality Matrix tech that's required for the Ascension Perk anyways. Synthetic Ascension is possibly the most powerful build in the game right now: I say possibly only because Machine Intelligences start out with most of the same benefits, especially the ability to ignore habitability that allows them to expand in the early game easier (which is usually the only phase of the game that ends up mattering) while Synths remain gated behind numerous techs that can take forever to appear on top of the prerequisite Perks. In return they get all of the flexibility and bonuses of organic empires while getting to ignore food, have inherent bonuses to production, never die, grow stupid fast, and unlike Gestalts can build Ecumenopoleis (though I wouldn't mind being able to terraforming my Mining Worlds into Machine planets--which you can take from Machine empires without having to re-terraform! Do wish you could build Mega-Warforms too).

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I have to start cutting down on habitable planets in Huge galaxies, I can't get past thirty planets under the Le Guin sector rework without going bugfuck insane from moving pops and queuing builds. though a couple hundred years in and I'm spamming habs and ringworlds anyways so idk

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
thinking about starting a game with x.25 cost Tech/Traditions where it's twenty advanced start Inward Perfectionists on broken Ringworlds with console commanded Science Nexuses vs my killer robots

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Peachy Poo posted:

Good god, I started my first machine empire game since the loss of tiles, and yikes. Is it just me or is this absolute micromanagement hell? Anytime I build something that adds amenities jobs, it adds like 5 of them and they get filled to the detriment of everything else - it feels like 90% of my game is spent manually adjusting the allowed amount of maintenance drone jobs on every single planet. Just going through them all every year or two to adjust. I hit 100 years in and I think I'm done with this save, which is a bummer because I really got just a perfect start and galactic setup for my machines.

Are bio hiveminds this bad too?

im i a similar boat where the absurd pop growth robots can get with the Cybrex relic means every few months having to shuffle robots around, and though my economy is at the point I can spam ringworlds (or as much as the game allows you to do so) though I have to manually set the maintainence drones to high priority until I fill the sections up a bit or they will inexplixably ignore them for more complex jobs while sitting at 0 stability from a huge amenities shortfall

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

binge crotching posted:

Isn't there still the Chosen One event that swaps your civics?

You have to be pretty deep into the Psionic ascension path, which with the way techs work in this game is no sure thing, and even then the event can fail and pop your leader like a grape

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
oh thank god someone else is supporting APM, the original creator quit Stellaris modding in 2.5

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

deathbagel posted:

Yeah, but I'm weird and feel like I'm cheating if I'm playing with mods. I might have to just do it though because resettling manually annoys me enough to possibly not care about cheating (same as disabling agents in Total War Warhammer.) Can I still get achievements with that mod? I only need a few more to have them all!

pretty much any mod that doesn't just add additional color options or rescale the UI is going to break achievements. there are two relatively easy ways to get achievements with mods: by downloading CheatEngine and its Stellaris table maintained by recifense, then the extension for the table by CompactDisc (the latter is not up to date for 2.6.3 yet though), then enabling Modded Achievements while the game is loading into the main menu, or by downloading Steam Achievement Manager and giving them to yourself

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lol awesome bug where even though my workshop mods show as say 14.7/14.7 MB downloaded the download will go back into the Steam download queue as "MISSING DOWNLOADED FILES" no matter how many times you force re-initialize it, and in the Stellaris launcher will show as "Downloading 100%" perpetually preventing them from being enabled or even re-ordered. hope a clean reinstall works because nothing else has

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

pmchem posted:

if you start a new ironman game, what can you do at the console before achievements are disabled for the rest of that game/save?

open it?
toggle observer mode on/off?
anything at all?

nothing in vanilla but if you use CheatEngine with the table extension you can use it the whole game and still earn achievements as long as you enable modded cheevos before the main menu loads. even when I'm not using it to help the AI present a challenge it's useful when Real Space bugs out and makes a star that swallows the whole solar system

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: I almost forgot, there was supposed to be a question here: Is there a console command to force my next Shroud visit to involve popping in on the End of the Cycle? I feel that this is a good world state to give him a visit.

there's not one to make your next manual visit to the Shroud pop as one event or another, but the command "event utopia.3308" will fire End of the Cycle. I can't remember if it also puts you on Shroud cooldown or not though

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
yeah I keep APM off until I'm at the point in the game where the most annoyance the shuffling does is ruin a few buildings on a planet or two they yeeted too many pops from, but it can't suddenly cripple my economy, and usually this only happens when I designate a newly completed ecumenopolis or ringworld section as a priority planet anyways

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
has anyone else playing with mods run into a bug where a new empire establishes communications with you and the game crashes? if so, is there a fix or did you at least figure out which mod/mods are doing it? it's brought three of my games now to screeching halts, and while I think it's only empires that come into existence after the initially generated ones, I've ruled out Better Rebellions as the culprit.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 2, 2020

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's nice that it's useful for meatbags now but it sucks that it isn't as grossly overpowered for machines anymore, and gives other empires the ultimate machine gestalt army but even better (well except Cybrex Warforms use alloys instead of being one of the few late game mineral dumps). meanwhile the Zroni relic still loses a huge amount of utility for non-Psionics

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
EU4 and CK2 already had if not identical than very similar displays, HOI4 too I imagine. imagine getting mad about it lmao

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Anticheese posted:

Let's not use that word? The idiots on social media thread already went through this and it's basically cuck 2.0 complete with all the implications of the kind of person who uses it

hope she sees this bro

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I haven't figuered out if they're being moved or deleted but some bug keeps disappearing my drones on the beta patch, and not in a way that follows the supposed logic for the galactic community resolution in the unlikely event it's that somehow affecting my Determined Exterminators. It's really annoying when it ruins a robo factory too and it could go a while without me noticing.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah you were all right about the auto-teansfer of pops to newly conquered planet, it's still annoying as hell they depopulate my growing habitats instead of my overpopulated core worlds. Speaking of barely working features, was the fleet manager always this buggy? Not registering certain ships, being unable to reinforce from the menu or the fleet popup because the queue is filled with dozens of entries that show like "1/-" time remaining, etc. I don't think I appreciated how much even small mods like the Tiny UI stuff were duct taping this game together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

now here's an actual for real, not quite game-breaking, but certainly broken bug.

yanno how you get 4 art monuments per playthrough? well, I have 83 art monuments, one on every single world in my empire. I simply clicked "exhibit art monument" on every single planet while paused and they all completed at the same time, so they all went through, so now everyone gets an art monument.

YOU GET SOME ART, AND YOU GET SOME ART! EVERYONE GETS SOME ART!

yeah that's been the case for a couple patches now, it's annoying if you want to add them to future well-developed planets because whoops you're already over a hundred art monuments over cap!