Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gyrotica posted:

New Horizons appears to already be updated.

They must have had early access of some sort, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

I was actually surprised that the different Marauder clans on the map are all different species. The pre-release info we got about them gave me the impression that they were competing factions of the same race.

I believe the fiction is that each on map clan is ACTUALLY split into countless squabbling factions which are just abstracted out, which is why they are ineffective little enclaves. After they unite they become powerful.

But is just story fluff to explain why they aren't conquering the galaxy from year one.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Early game land grab is super cool, but yikes I have no idea what to prioritise anymore.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t there a way to rename systems?

Rename the star. The system name is just the stars name. It will auto rename all the planets too.

That's how I name things. If I want a planet called Neo Tokyo I don't call the planet Neo Tokyo, I call the star that, and the planet name changes appropriately (Neo Tokyo IV). That way I always know which planet is in which system.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 23, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Influence cost to claim could also vary by system quality somehow? System with four planets costs 125, system with 2 minerals and a lint ball costs 25.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Fleet manager sounds messed up enough (deleting fleets?) that I'm not touching it until people start saying good things about it. I'll just do things the old way. :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

jealous tbh

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

QOL request would be to allow ships with +1 sensors to path into the fog, because they can absolutely do it, I just don't want to have to keep clicking.

I keep clicking "explore" on a new system instead of "survey" and then noticing my science ship has been sitting idle for a couple years having done nothing but enter the unexplored system.

:negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The gap between 1.0 hyperlane connectivity and .75 is pretty vast. I think I'd enjoy something in-between, closer to 1, but with more breaks/gulfs. Especially in elliptical galaxies.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cock hero flux posted:

I managed to do the event chain despite the fortress constantly repairing itself. It comes back online with like 1 hp so just park a fleet in front of it and it'll get swatted back down every couple of days. Then you can have a scientist with his ship on passive stance do the projects in the system. Make sure the scientist is waiting nearby before you engage the fortress for the first time, though: you'll start getting "fortress repowers" events 700ish days after you kill it for the first time, there's no way to avoid them and they cancel all progress so you have to finish the chain in 700 days or it becomes impossible. You will continue getting fortress repowers events for like 5 years after the end of the chain but they won't do anything because the fortress disappears when you finish the chain.

I'm sort of amazed that some of these event chains are still so screwy. Seems like they must be pushing the limit of what the event engine was designed to do...?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

The year is 2264, our civilization has spread among the stars surrounding our homeworld and we have explored further into the depths of galactic space. One of our far ranging scout vessels has encountered a terrifying threat, an unimaginably advanced alien civilization, posessing the power to reshape planets at will, construct vast, system spanning habitats, and reforge their species into living demigods. Our sole salvation in the face of this incalculable potency, is that their society appears to have stagnated. Once, perhaps, this empire spanned the vast gulfs of space, now it is reduced to a mere fraction of its former glory. Upon initiating a tentative contact, our scout craft recorded the following exchange:

"Know, young ones, that we alone serve to contain the destroyer of galaxies, the greatest threat to civilized life in the universe, it resides in the unclaimed space at the center of our last vestige of power, and all our once great might is focused on ensuring it can never escape...

"What is the threat? Can we help contain it if it is a danger to all of us? Can it be destroyed for good?"

The threat... Is piracy! There is no destroying it, no besting it, we are locked in an eternal struggle with a foe which twists the minds of our citizens and sends them against us...

"Wait, pirates? Have you tried building infrastructure in that system?"

"NO!!! The system only contains 2 energy and It would add 2% to our research and unity costs, and we would rather die than abide this insult!"

Those who do not follow the Sacred Path of Pretty Borders deserve the cold void and annihilation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

As long as it doesn't mean some AI nations will just refuse peace forever...

Maybe amend it so that if you're at 100% AND someone holds your capital they can 'Dictate Peace'.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really like the idea of the slower travel times, but they need to be offset by engine tech as the game goes on. Haven't played long enough to see if this is the case...But sounds like maybe not.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gadzuko posted:

I don't have any modding experience with this game, so I'm not sure how feasible this is: Would it be possible to make a mod that allowed ships to enter hyperlanes to any linked system from anywhere outside the gravity well, as opposed to having to fly all the way through to go to a system on the other side? I think this would be big improvement over the current system although hyperdrive charge time would have to be nerfed somewhat. Maybe also a further reduction in charge time in enemy territory, so that you can't just easily gank someone's capital before they can react. It would also have the side benefit of making hyperdrive research the main limiting factor for FTL movement as opposed to sublight being king like it is right now.

That's how it used to work, and I hated it. A enemy fleet would enter your system, you'd truck your fleet towards them and they'd warp out before you could reach them, effectively using the exit point behind you. They could basically teleport past you and leave you chasing them into your own territory. Sucked.

I think the real solution is buffing sublight engine tech more.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Grouchio posted:

Are any of you using 2000+ galaxy mods like I am?

Game runs to slow past mid-game on way less. :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It struck me that Ascension picks should each have a pool of cool random events tied to them. Like how in EUIV taking financial can trigger inflation reduction events and such.

They could also unlock unique anomalies or new choices for existing ones.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Strudel Man posted:

Ah, well there we go then.

Good old Paradox math.

I always 'liked' it in EU, when you'd get the option of doing something like paying some heavy cost to "Increase tax efficiency by 2%". Hardly seems worth it.

Except... hidden away on the income screen is the fact that your current 'tax efficiency' is only 1%, so adding 2% makes it 3% and triples your monthly tax income. :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Rescanning would be awful busy work, but you could make it so any scientist assisting research had a chance of discovering an anomaly in the "old survey data" of planet X, and you could dispatch a ship to check it out.

Maybe add a new pool of midgame anomalies, more subtle things, less hard to miss giant skeletons.

Chance would be low, but getting a bunch of scientists online would help.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Inward perfection is a weird civic.

It gives you lots of bonuses around being peaceful and keeping to yourself. However there are no win conditions which allow you to be peaceful and keep to yourself. Like you can't get a science or culture victory like you can in Civ, so it's a civic that you're pretty much required to drop at a later point, and loose all those tradition trees you spent time building out to actually win the game.

War and conflict are such central parts of Paradox games, that I don't feel like pacifism really belongs in the game. It's just inherently awkward given the gameplay. I'm not quite sure what you could put as the opposite of militarism. Maybe change it to 'Aggressive/Diplomatic', but it starts overlapping with xenophobe.

On reflection, my inclination would be to maybe allow fanatic pacifists to make claims and do agressive wars, so they can join the rest of the game, but just put penalties in there. Claims more expensive, factions get more upset, penalties to firerate, tank unity when at aggressive war, etc. I'm really, really, really NOT a fan of the 'LOL you just straight up can't do this' mechanics.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Throw me in with the lot that thinks the current pirate system sucks. There used to be something similar in EU and it's long gone, thank God.

Maybe have fleets and stations put out anti-pirate pressure to nearby stars. Any system without a planet/starbase (even one in your borders) can begin to build up pirate points. Starts as a little green skull next to the star, turns yellow, then red. The more pirate points you have in/near your empire (relative to your size) the more resources you lose to piracy. You can't just send a fleet to wack them, you have to build up at least some infrastructure even in the backwater of your empire or else pirates will begin to become an issue.

Remove them as on map fleets, because pirate wack-a-mole is never ever fun.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AG3 posted:

there's definitely a significant extra overhead for big empires to be human.

That's really weird to me, but I saw similar reports on the Paradox forums well before 2.0. I wonder what is causing that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GotLag posted:

Found an interesting mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1328587257

Can't see poo poo until you explore it.

Huh. Tried this out. I really like the concept. You'd have to allow some sort of survey map exchange, like Civ map trading, but hostile empires could keep their starmaps/layouts secret. Very cool.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Let me tell you about the Rixi. The Rixi are sad because they were conquered. Actually they were conquered twice in quite a short space of time.

The second empire to conquer them were my noble bird men warriors, who took additional casualties because we skipped the pre-battle bombardment in order to make sure we 'conquered' the colony before the Rixi were all eaten by the Devouring Swarm that was chomping through them at a rate of knots. I didn't realise it was a private genocide or I wouldn't have so rudely interrupted. (I couldn't intervene earlier and prevent the Invasion in the first place because the Rixi Star Clans kept their borders closed throughout the war).

I feel like foregoing the 'Recently Conquered' modifier for pops being purged/enslaved/assimilated/whatever might be a good idea?

I thought that got fixed a while back. :confused:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

Also it's weird how much of this game is now the spaceship of theseus in terms of stuff that's been torn out and replaced.

The long term goal is to turn Stellaris into a Korean War flight simulator, so gradually and so slowly that nobody notices.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If it works a little like MOO (although Wiz seems to suggest not), it might be neat to have some sort of XP bar for each production type, a bit like the gearing bonus in HOI4. So the longer a pop works minerals/energy/food or whatever the better they get at it (up to a certain point), and moving them resets that. Just to minimize excessive micro of shuffling your farmers in and out of the nuclear power plants and then back to the fields a couple months later.

EDIT: Did wiz's future of stellaris show not get streamed? I don't see it on the paradox twitch.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 19, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The original designer of Stellaris passes Wiz in the hall at the office.

"Mr. Anward," he mutters, with a barely perceptible nod of his head.

He retreats to his office to mournfuly boot 1.0. "No one ever appreciates an artist in his time..."

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Captain Monkey posted:

Wait, are we losing tiles on Tuesday, or is that a 'way later down the line' feature?

Way down the line. Assuming they make it work. It's "very early prototype".

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Torrannor posted:

There's probably not very many game systems as difficult and labour intensive to overhaul as tiles. I guess this takes time anyway, so that even if you put every Stellaris dev on overhauling tiles, it wouldn't be much faster than churning out different stuff in the meantime.

It does seem like the sooner you do something that huge the better. I mean I assume diplomacy and especially trade will have heavy impacts on planet surfaces with new buildings and such, and chunks of that will have to be torn out and redone too

I mean, I'm sure they've thought of this, it just surprises me a little.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You don't have to care about spoilers one way or another, I don't, but it's nice to show a little respect for those who do. :shobon:

/Ethos: Fanatic Polite

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

I'm not sure I really like the new hyperlane generation system. This is with the slider turned all the way up. There are too many long, snaking gaps and systems that are right next to each other that aren't connected.

Edit: loving hell, did imgur make their image compression even worse lately? That poo poo looks more .jpg artifacted than a boomer facebook meme.

I really like it, but I like chokepoints and 'geography' to space.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hyperlanes Only is the best change to the game ever, and enshrines Wiz amongst the Pantheon of the Wise and Great.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So, what's going on here?

My science ship ought to be able to path there.... but can't.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Annoying glitch(?). Because the newly spawned system wasn't around when your ship first visited the neighbouring system you don't have any sensor information on it so it counts as completely unexplored. Just send your ship to Pennek and you'll get some data on the new system, allowing you to send ships to it.

Yeah, this worked. Thanks! :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah, even the beta patch only does so much to fix performance at the moment. It's not quite monthly for me but in my current game I'm into the 2550's and it freezes every ~March and ~October for a bit while things are sorted out; always on the first of the month, too. Not sure if it's related to the L-cluster (since they've been dead for some time now) or just the AI rework in general. It can get pretty obnoxious so I hope they find a solution soon.

Honestly the daily ticks are slow enough now for me that I may end up having to give up on the game for a while, until I get a new computer.... maybe next year? It used to be the early game was fast, late game slow, but with 2.0 forward it feels like the game starts slow for me and gets slower. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Of course we're not going to make a basic starting ship require you to have resources you can't produce in your home system.

Ugh, catering to casuals and twitch gamers again, I see. :mad:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aethernet posted:

That revving sound you can hear is the Hype Engine entering overdrive.

Stellaris 3.0 looking good.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ice Fist posted:

Goddamn I want this update very bad.

I'll be shocked if we see it before 2019, so don't hold your breath.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

turn off the TV posted:

Actually the game will continue to suck and be totally unplayable and garbage until my personal demands have been met. performance is improved or I get a better computer.

:smith:

Actually its sort of okay on medium or smaller galaxies. Kinda.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
A cheesy sci fi movie pack is a great idea, and I'd like Paradox to do some more goofy fun stuff like that.

Sunset Invasion may have traumatized them too much though. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Taear posted:

Nothing is more poo poo in Stellaris for me than being a pacifist who is unable to create Federations because everyone has a -50 malus towards you because you can't declare aggressive wars.

IMHO pacifist should not exist in a game like this. Instead of militarist/pacifist, it should be something like expansionist/isolationist, where expansionist gets stuff like the extra core worlds pacifist does now, and other "wide" play style bonuses like combat themed stuff, and isolationist is more about "tall" play, but they can still declare war and fight.