Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Section Z posted:

Note to self. "Building immune" artillery does not apply to satellite launch rockets :sigh:

It does apply to ice covering a building, so if you want to break five layers of ice for a star, maybe don't use your artillery.

Artillery is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've got a Harold Schmidt pilot (on repair, push all adjacent targets) who has +reactor, and he's been oddly effective on my Fog Team. Stick him in the pulse mech, and his power completely replaces the repulsor gun, allowing me to move the electric fog to the science ship and thus rush to +1 fog damage as soon as I get a single reactor core. (also this is the only way to get levels on that stupid push mech)

This dumb game's got options. Don't be afraid to switch off Archimedes!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 28, 2018

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Those 420 Smoke Erry Day guys seem hard to use, the jet's constraints on attacking and the artillery guy's awkward smoke placement leaves me confounded. :(

Mostly you don't use the artillery's smoke, you just shoot chumps with him. On the back row, he can strip vek away from the other side of buildings.
But in a pinch you can walk up to someone and then shoot away from them to stop an attack, and if you can get your Artillery BETWEEN two units, you're golden. Eventually he's doing four damage a shot, and at that point it almost doesn't matter what added effects you have.

I dunno what's hard to use about the jet, he works great, turns things off, and is generally amazing. Upgrade him to extra range to make him even better.

The pusher's super awful though, especially if you accidentally kept some rando +3 grid def generic pilot instead of Harold Schmidt at the end of a mission. :(

e: Schmiiiiidt! Come back!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 28, 2018

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

judo team is great when you can move dudes around to kill each other, but that often isn't possible and they kind of suck at killing anything otherwise.

maybe the problem is that i'm playing on easy, though.

If there are no enemy robots nearby, you have three perfectly good friendly robots you can smash the enemy into.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
So, wrapping up the last of the achievements. Doing them all on normal, not easy, because how hard can they be?

OH GOD SPIDERS EVERYWHERE actually I'm doing pretty OK here.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Just beat the game on normal with three ice mechs. That thing is ludicrous, and slapping Harold into one of them made all three even better.

Harold is ludicrously powerful, and he's got a dumb face. Who could ask for more?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Prav posted:

yeah the satellites are set as units with attacks (red marking, easily lost in the mess of vek attacks) rather than an environmental hazard (yellow marking) for some dumb reason

Because they are units, as you will learn if you try to clear a satellite stage with three lightning chain robots.

I like three bolt bots, but MAN there are a lot of missions they stone cold can't do.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

In my very first run I completed all four islands and made it all the way through to the final enemy turn of the second stage of the final battle. I don't know if there's a third stage but if I had taken exactly one less grid damage or gained exactly one more along the way I would have made it :negative:

No third stage! If you had been one damage better you would have won.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea PSA: swap out the cryo weapon for the last mission unless you have a way to not self-freeze. The random environmental hazards are too significant to risk immobility.

Back at ya: A flying mech with the cryo weapon can fire it over lava, and the frozen iceburg will fall into the lava, instantly melt, and free your mech.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Xaris posted:

Probably going to try out Flamers again for something different, I believe someone had a pretty big writeup on it but I can't find it. Anyone have any tips to get them up and running? My first two times were fairly disastrous and I noticeably felt the lack of direct damage to get poo poo off

They’re the team Judoka pretends to be. Just shuffle things around and remember that if a Vek has 1hp left and is on Fire you can ignore it.

Best upgrade is probably teleport range, oe flamethrower range. Extra damage isn’t essential before island three or so.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I feel like I don't really have a grasp on how to use the smoky boys. making GBS threads electric smoke all over the map is cool and good right up to the point where you need an enemy dead and there's smoke everywhere you could conceivably attack from. Still managed a 2-island win, but I'm guessing more will be rough.

I do have to say though, this game feels a lot more "solvable" than FTL. Part of that is deliberate design I guess, but I still haven't lost a game on Normal. Is Hard a big jump in difficulty?

Basically Hard is just more alpha vek. Hard is much more difficult if you're trying to kill things and very slightly more difficult if you're trying to freeze everything or otherwise use control effects to win.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Argue posted:

Will FTL pilots start appearing in regular pods once you've unlocked them, or are they exclusively in mountains even after the first time?

You can start a run with one, but no, never in normal pods.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I only thought of taking a screenshot after I'd hit reset specifically to find a way to deal with that one Scarab anyway.

But I'm pretty sure that - with my starting setup - there was no way, since both Scarabs went to hug the tanks, which meant the lightning mech had to watch from the sidelines for that turn.

Dude! Don’t mock a thread full of nerds with a puzzle that is too hard, bro, you’ll never do it, I ain’t even gotta show you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dammit I swear I've only seen like two of those secret glowing cracked mountains and I missed the first one because I wasn't paying attention. I'm not gonna keep playing just to get all the pilots but it would be nice to have another weird thing to screw around with. Again I hope they patch/release DLC for the game since it's fun but is now feeling samey after I've sunk a ton of hours into it.

Find a stage with mountains.

Hit tilde.

Type secret