Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have the day off work today, which is nice. Still won't be able to get anything done because daycare is also closed.

Sure beats work, though.

E: toll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Today is moving day :toot:

I simultaneously know exactly where everything and nothing is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm doing car body repair, replacing the incredibly rotten arches which have been a complete dick to remove.

Currently hitting sheet metal into shapes and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

BigPaddy posted:

1972 from a Monte Carlo 2 bolt main. WIll get the casting numbers when I clean the crap off

Watch cragislist or ebay for a cheap dual plane aluminum intake for a 4 barrel. It'll probably have a cast iron intake on it for a 4 (if your lucky). Did it turn over at all? if it did your probably ok on the block. Heads are probably low compression but if they are in good shape send them to the machine shop for a hot tank with the block so at least you'll have something. You can rent a valve spring tool for like zero bucks from any one of the auto parts stores.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless you REALLY want to rebuild heads for the sake of it, seriously consider just junking those heads. Old SBC heads that aren't LT-1 heads are largely utter poo poo, and the cost of a rebuild is very similar to the cost of a set of vastly superior L31 heads. The only downsides with L31s are the intake manifold compatibility, and the small valve spring seats that need to be cut to handle high lift cams.

You also need to switch to center bolt valve covers, but that's honestly a plus.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

it turns over but has a cast iron twin barrel intake so that is all getting junked as well as the heads. I will use them to practice porting on and all that but probably going to put centre bolt ones on. Things like the alternator, water pump etc... I am going to try and rebuild but I expect a ton of it is getting junked but I would prefer to not just end up using the block and everything else being new :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BigPaddy posted:

it turns over but has a cast iron twin barrel intake so that is all getting junked as well as the heads. I will use them to practice porting on and all that but probably going to put centre bolt ones on. Things like the alternator, water pump etc... I am going to try and rebuild but I expect a ton of it is getting junked but I would prefer to not just end up using the block and everything else being new :v:

Welcome to building an SBC.

I mean, you can do a stock rebuild. But if you want it to not be an anchor, you're going to use the block and nothing else. Oil pan, maybe, if it's not ruined and fits whatever it's going into.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ilkhan posted:

Found out we lost my grandmother this morning. Glad I got to visit her a few weeks ago at least. Mid 90s and bedridden for years and about 65 pounds; so at least not unexpected.

Sorry to hear that. We're going through the same thing with Mrs. Slidebites grandma right now. She's the last of that generation anywhere in our family. 97 I think and going to palliative care today. I suspect she'll likely be gone by the end of next week. She's had a good run (going on motorcycle rides right up until a year or so ago) but she's basically completely out of it right now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Gardening is relaxing to me, besides the back breaking part of it sometimes. My back yard started out as a dirt wasteland and now it's a tropical oasis and I did it all myself. It's pretty gratifying actually.

No, I mean gardening as in "hoe the weeds out of the vegetables", and "pick the 10 million cherry tomatoes". Like small-scale farming garden, not "make your backyard pretty." Though it spills over into that a little, probably. I don't mind mowing and edging, and planting the occasional bush or tree, but that's really about my limit.
I have no idea why dad wanted a 1/8 acre garden, but we had one when I was in late elementary/middle school. I hated that damned garden.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Open a new chrome tab and go to:

chrome:flags/#autoplay-policy

And change it to "require user input."

Solves maybe 90% of autoplaying video problems, even on CNN.com.

Thank you for this. I use an extension that stops autoplay on YouTube, but, of course, it only works on YT.
FWIW, in my version of Chrome (Windows, 65.0.3325.181), my options are "Default", "No user gesture is required", "User gesture is required for cross-origin iframes", and "Document user activation is required". I assumed that last one is the correct one.

quote:

Actually, since I'm doing tips, as posted in Bajaha's thread:

That -bs flag is great. Great respect to the UI programmer who named it that.

iwentdoodie posted:

After driving this Civic in anger I now feel like I wasted the last 15 years of my life never owning one.

Jesus loving christ this thing is FUN. Any car that has me laughing like a goddamn maniac before I'm in 3rd gear or breaking the speed limit is a win, but pulling out of a corner in 2nd at 6k with poo poo rear end tires squealing and the car still begging for more like a loving puppy...

I wanted a beater, and now I want an LSD and R comps.

I have way too much fun driving my shitbox AE86, and it doesn't even have the "fun" engine. Effective top speed is about 85 MPH. It might do more, but it would take all day to get there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Open a new chrome tab and go to:

chrome:flags/#autoplay-policy

And change it to "require user input."

Solves maybe 90% of autoplaying video problems, even on CNN.com.
Hey, thanks for this and I did that, but still get autoplays on yahoo - for example:

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/warning-issued-13-year-old-b-c-girl-dies-strep-throat-162805071.html

Any way to get those to stop (other than not visiting Yahoo which might be the ultimate way to do it?)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slidebite posted:

Hey, thanks for this and I did that, but still get autoplays on yahoo - for example:

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/warning-issued-13-year-old-b-c-girl-dies-strep-throat-162805071.html

Any way to get those to stop (other than not visiting Yahoo which might be the ultimate way to do it?)

Yahoo still exists?

None of my usual tricks seem to be working with that video.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

No, I mean gardening as in "hoe the weeds out of the vegetables", and "pick the 10 million cherry tomatoes". Like small-scale farming

Oh haha. I consider gardening a pretty general term, but yeah keeping up a huge vegetable garden is a lot of work.

I'm just glad my backyard is done for the most part, just have to maintain it now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Its amazing how good fishing i can do in a kayak and how much better i get at swimming and overhead press in a canoe.

Exactly. I can stand up in my kayak if I'm careful about it, but I've flipped a canoe pushing off of a rock.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh haha. I consider gardening a pretty general term, but yeah keeping up a huge vegetable garden is a lot of work.

I'm just glad my backyard is done for the most part, just have to maintain it now.

Especially when you're 11-13 years old. Hoeing a loving garden was among the absolute last things I wanted to do on summer days. Mowing the lawn wasn't so bad, because we had a lawn tractor, since it was a 1/2 acre lot. Got to drive something. The really healthy grass over the septic line was a bit of a challenge sometimes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Had to get rid of the 3D printer. But I got a cool five hundo for anticipated bills.

Hopefully in two years when I (hopefully) graduate from school, printers will be cheaper.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We keep you sane....?

Us?

From a bajillion pages back, but yes. I work with a few people in their late 40's-mid 50's (I'm 35 and considered the young kid), and I have NEVER seen a group of people who non-stop talk trash and try to get each other in trouble than these guys. I mean, god-drat... We're all in this poo poo together in a VERY limited field. The best way to deal with that guy who doesn't wipe the oil & grease off the communal tools is NOT to go to the floor manager bitching and complaining. Just tell him "hey, cleanup after yourself because I have to use those tools too".

Is it THAT loving hard to just talk poo poo out?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The number one problem, where I work, is lack of communication between all of the people who are 40+.

Most of the higher ups are 50+.

E: They're completely oblivious to it too. Last year "communication" was one of the major complaints received during the employee satisfaction survey they did and instead of realizing we were bitching about the fact they can't communicate, they did a lot of things to improve communication on the floor between grunts including a BBS that nobody uses because we actually already all talk to each other.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2018

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Fermented Tinal posted:

The number one problem, where I work, is lack of communication between all of the people who are 40+.

Most of the higher ups are 50+.

E: stuff

My dude, it got so bad they took all of us that work the machines on all three shifts and called a special meeting. All 5 of us, and our shift supervisors, and the floor manager were cramped together in a tiny conference room. It got to the point to where me & the guy I work with (neither of us have big issues with anyone) had to hold back the guys from first & third from fighting.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Devyl posted:

Is it THAT loving hard to just talk poo poo out?

Some people avoid any kind of confrontation at all costs, it's normal to have some co workers like that but if it's in the majority then yeah it could make things difficult. My job is to confront people so it's easy for me now, I try to nip issues in the bud right away, the sooner the better. I've also got pretty good at prying people that don't want to talk, but then end up being glad they did.

But this is in a Hospitality (beach resort) atmosphere, I can't imagine dealing with that in an office full of old baby boomers set in their ways.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I went and drove this. Good is, the body is straight, and the only rust is near the bottom of one of the rear wheel arches. It's tagged so I was able to drive it around the block. The motor cranks easily and it probably has all of it's 115hp. Trans shifts ok, needs a new clutch cable. The body and interior are pretty good, only suffering from some "old man fixes" like the crappy little mud flaps installed with sheet metal screws, general bodging like that (basically, sheet metal screws everywhere).

Bad is, I don't think this car has really been driven in many years. Dude trailers it to car shows and idles it around the block. Needs tires, full suspension rebuild, brakes, and exhaust manifold gaskets immediately. It's super squirrelly at any speed that isn't sitting still. Manual rack, which I've had before but it's super stiff even once moving (dry grease where I could see, so maybe just needs some lubrication). The headers are bitty, "massaged", and still stick pretty far into the front wheel wells. Exhaust needs something else done with it, hangs below the body and about 2.5" off the ground.

So basically:

I think it's a 5 grand car. Very neat.

But the owner has an emotional attachment to it so I don't think he's ready to hear an offer. Hell maybe he'll get what he wants. If it was sorted I'd give him well more than what he's asking - but I want something I can drive, not something I have to spend a $1500-$2000 in parts in the hope I can make it fun to drive.

Adiabatic posted:

Do it you wont

:( I'm not cool enough

Edit: actually the ad just disappeared so I guess he did sell it

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I guess Low Tax had his surgery and lived. Also check this out!

Future Days posted:

Even this happened. Wow.

:unsmith:

I did my donation like I said, also buying upgrades and avatars and name changes helps out too, so you get something out of it if you don't want to just donate.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm in Bermuda. The view this morning from the villa is nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend is a diiiiiiiick

"OH HEY GUYS LOOK WHAT MY GRANDFATHER GAVE ME FOR GRADUATING MEDICAL SCHOOL"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm in Bermuda. The view this morning from the villa is nice.

Bermuda is nice. Did you hit the aquarium?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

buying upgrades and avatars and name changes helps out too

ya i did that
Shrugs Not Drugs was lame anyway
I miss my lovely Detroit title already though

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Not yet but it's on the list. We've got my wife's sister's family here along with their 7 year old so I've spent the morning showing him how to throw an american football (in between gulps of beer and rum cocktails) as they're english and "football" to him thus far has been mostly confined to excitedly watching Match of the Day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

My friend is a diiiiiiiick

"OH HEY GUYS LOOK WHAT MY GRANDFATHER GAVE ME FOR GRADUATING MEDICAL SCHOOL"

Schweet. What's that loaded with and more importantly, is it a manual?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Schweet. What's that loaded with and more importantly, is it a manual?

Like turbos and stuff and yes manual. He didn't pop the hood while I was out there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A standard, US 2JZ-GTE 6-speed Supra? Ok, that's a nice investment.

In other news, some lunatics are cycling fron the UK to Australia:
https://imgur.com/gallery/1xXCy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

A standard, US 2JZ-GTE 6-speed Supra? Ok, that's a nice investment.

It wasn't an investment, his grandfather gave it to him. It arrived last night and he couldn't wait to show us.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slidebite posted:

THAT IS THE AQUARIUM.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

It wasn't an investment, his grandfather gave it to him. It arrived last night and he couldn't wait to show us.
Yes, I understood that. It's still a nice investment.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Comrade Flynn bought one of those last year and he's now of the belief it's his favorite vehicle, including over the Murcielago and the Focus RS. And the Delta Integrale he just got.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I guess Low Tax had his surgery and lived. Also check this out!

I did my donation like I said, also buying upgrades and avatars and name changes helps out too, so you get something out of it if you don't want to just donate.

Hey, that's pretty cool. I donated some bucks to SA, posting this to remind everyone to do the same if they can. It's like the last ok place on the internet, which isn't saying much I know :unsmith: I'd certainly really hate to see it die.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Victoria B.C. is a really, really nice place and I completely understand why Aussies come here and dont leave. Bit cold for my liking right now but eh. Any place that is as well set for cycling as this place is rules.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ether Frenzy posted:

Comrade Flynn bought one of those last year and he's now of the belief it's his favorite vehicle, including over the Murcielago and the Focus RS. And the Delta Integrale he just got.
Is he still salty about the ribbing we gave him and just not posting here or what?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Victoria B.C. is a really, really nice place and I completely understand why Aussies come here and dont leave. Bit cold for my liking right now but eh. Any place that is as well set for cycling as this place is rules.

Victoria, Australia is also pretty good and cool. This weekend in Melbourne I saw a Testarossa and an Elfin Streamliner driving around and a pink and white Daihatsu Copen and many other fun AI cars. I also ate and drank many good things. Think I’m going to enjoy living here.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Go to Coquitlam, it will change your opinion.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey welcome. Yeah it's a bit chilly here tonight but I can guarantee you it's still one of the warmest spots in the country right now. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I ordered a countertop dishwasher using ebay's 20% off code, and it comes in on Monday or Tuesday.

I, just, like, don't want to do the dishes by hand anymore. I'm sitting here wondering if I can survive until then without doing them. I hate manually washing dishes - it reminds me of a specific time growing up that I'd rather forget.
We had one of those at the old house, it was great. Thing did a good job and we used the hell out of it.

iwentdoodie posted:

After driving this Civic in anger I now feel like I wasted the last 15 years of my life never owning one.

Jesus loving christ this thing is FUN. Any car that has me laughing like a goddamn maniac before I'm in 3rd gear or breaking the speed limit is a win, but pulling out of a corner in 2nd at 6k with poo poo rear end tires squealing and the car still begging for more like a loving puppy...

I wanted a beater, and now I want an LSD and R comps.
LSD sure, keep on poo poo tires because that makes it more fun on the street

Spent a long weekend at my parents house playing with puppies and seeing family. We're really going back and forth on getting one now or at a later date.

• Locked thread