Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’s going to be so good when the libs win the next election due to shorten’s incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

For examples of how well this works in real life see:

Clinton, Hillary

hillary’s problem wasn’t the lack of an alternative vision but that it wasn’t communicated clearly and her complete lack of charisma and likeability

very unlike shorten

wait

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Hillary had a stellar campaign organisation

hm. well,

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what is the strategy here

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I don't think that's idiotic. I don't share lived perspective or experience with women.

feminism is different from being a woman. hopefully this clears things up for you

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there is no dirt on dutton, it’d be like trying to dig up dirt on a fascist brick

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

He was a Queensland cop, he is a potato, he was born into dirt, moulded by it.

The problem is it’s all going to be dirt like “beat an aboriginal person almost to death”, “assaulted a protestor”, “used police systems to stalk an ex”, rather than things which Australians might actually care about.

lol if you think the qld police actually kept records of those incidents

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

abbott is riding the 30 newspolls pretty hard

first as tragedy, then as farce

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the public prefers bad policy sold well to good policy sold badly, that’s the reality of government.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Knorth posted:

Did she elaborate on those implications at all?

for example, destroying the national party, which is [checks notes] bad?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

The Australian understands the Left Renewal movement, founded by Young Greens members, is no longer active within the party.

lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

30’s going to come and go without anything dramatic happening. we’ll laugh at malcolm’s incompetence, the press gallery will write some inane thinkpieces and abbott will get very indignant.

quote this when some insane poo poo happens instead to own me

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if only it was possible to consider the political environment and subtext when considering a given piece of media, but such an advanced analysis is entirely beyond our meagre human faculties, alas

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

I feel like China has very different rules around compulsory acquisitions and that their government can't be destroyed at an election for doing something like bulldozing an entire city.

another win for authoritarianism

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Whitlam posted:

I don't have HECS/HELP debt so I should definitely look into this is what I'm hearing. Thank you :)

Edit:

I will do this too.

THIS IS NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE SPEAK TO SOMEONE WITH ACTUAL QUALIFICATIONS

salary sacrifice is cool if you can afford it because concessional (pre-tax) contributions are taxed at the low rate of 15% if you earn under 250k per year, 30% if you earn over. however there is a cap to these contributions after which you’re taxed at your marginal rate as well as an additional charge - in other words, if you contribute above the cap, you pay the tax you would have paid anyway, eat an additional charge, and can’t access that money because it’s locked away in super.

the cap for this financial year and the foreseeable future until government fucks with it is $25,000 per year. there are also some weird carry-forward clauses that i don’t understand and don’t mess with but you might be smarter than me so check them out.

the trick is that both salary sacrifice AND employer contributions count towards the cap. you need to calculate your salary sacrifice such that it plus your employer contributions (minimum 9.5% of income but may be higher, eg in the public sector in particular) do not exceed $25,000 in a given financial year. if your pay increases for any reason (promotion, enterprise agreement, acting arrangements etc) that will affect your employer contribution and you may need to change your sacrifice accordingly to avoid going over the cap.

hopefully that makes sense but i’m only some idiot on something awful so seek advice from qualified professionals. salary sacrificing isn’t hard but there are some pitfalls to look out for.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:ssh: state and territory governments have responsibility for tafe funding, not the feds

and you’ll never guess which federal government pushed through the reforms at coag that deregulated and opened the vet sector to private training organisations that began the downfall - i’ll give you a hint, it wasn’t the coalition!

the current government is obviously not helping matters but destroying australia’s vocational education system is bipartisan policy at all levels of government

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

literal economic refugees mr speaker

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

"We've finally achieved the balance of power, and all we had to do was agree to the FWA Choices for Work scheme, include clean coal as a solution in our environmental platform, and successfully fight for more woman guards at offshore detention centres"

a savage takedown of an imaginary greens party

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Visidan posted:

im sure those rich boomers will switch their vote from liberal now

there are no liberal candidates in the byelection friend

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“details” don’t mean “here’s what the policy is intended to do”, it means “what is going to be in legislation line by line and does it introduce new loopholes or perverse incentives”

like i think this announcement is a poor showing from the greens but the hysteria in this thread reminds me of the guardian comments section. the greens haven’t declared sight unseen support for a labor policy announced days ago so they’re literally the liberal party now? someone help me understand this please

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i’m also wondering what some people in this topic think about what can be done politically; with labor captured by the right and the greens apparently entirely compromised by entryists, is there literally any avenue for progress politically or is our only option a revolution

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

did you know THE drat GREENS blocked the alp’s original climate change policy which is why we HAVENT FIXED GLOBAL WARMING YET. and they VOTED WITH THE COALITION to change the senate voting rules which has literally DESTROYED OUR COUNTRY. they’re ONE NATION IN DISGUISE.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i went to a private school then moved to a public school for years 11-12 and the public school was miles better

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i wonder why there aren’t any articles about young jobseekers featuring emotional quotes demanding government keeps its hands off when welfare payments are cut.

oh well, i’m only the chief political correspondent, i have no understanding of literally anything on this planet.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 16, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

“The recommendations suggested to improve our diversity should be prioritised by our teams namely to cover economic/hip pocket issues more often and in a different way; drawing on our regional and rural reporters for more human interest stories; and for our local news bulletins to be even more local and community based,” Guthrie said.

i thought they fired them all

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

Her husband is a GP, classic.

wait till you hear shorten's wife's job description

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Aesculus posted:

The Greens are just going to take this as a lesson that they've shifted too far left and need to double down on responsible sensible centrism and form a government with the LNP to prove how moderate they are.

so is this analysis informed by anything or

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i know di natale is literally satan or whatever but what is it that he’s actually done to turn the greens into Literally Worse Than Labor (The Refugee Torture Guys)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

whatever i’m being a jackass

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 17, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

Marshalls only talking point was to say sixteen years over and loving over again and I have good information that oldies were like "yeah maybe a change wouldn't be bad" and that's what did SA. It is non policy based defeat.

E: good info being one on ones with people in dying unionised shops so yeah...

swing voters are basically impossible to work with, their cognition barely classifies them as human

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

"Hunt down the Greens saboteurs, says Di Natale"

good

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

didn’t see it mentioned: the federal court has ruled that the Queen’s letters to the vile saboteur John Kerr are to remain secret

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

drunkill posted:

Phone posting so i cant find a news source but abc radio said during a news update that the court case about the afp raids cannot begin until the afp has finished its investigation on who tipped off the media... which should end in 4 months time.

I guess 4 more months of protecting PettyCash from court is all they could get.

the guardian live feed says part of the judge’s ruling was that the AFP’s classified material (which cannot be released until the investigation is concluded) contains information that would be beneficial to the union - thus it would be unfair to go to trial at this time.

very interesting mr speaker

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

asio posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to make Israel relevant to Australian immigration. Unless you mean the fact that having an open border with Russian facists who were Jewish accelerated Israel's descent into apartheid?

i mean the point seems pretty straightforward; the british opening the borders of the mandate of palestine to all jews resulted in an influx of jewish immigrants and subsequent disenfranchisement and displacement of the palestinian population

i’m not going to debate the accuracy or relevance of said point to the discussion of open borders because i don’t give a poo poo and amethyst is using his typical style, but this isn’t that complex

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ethiopian is great and just jesus christ at that article

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There's some good stuff in the article too: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2018/03/24/batman-how-it-went-wrong-the-greens/15218100005986

quote:

“Some of the allegations raised against her appear frivolous. She is accused of standing in front of another Greens representative at a media doorstop so she wouldn’t appear on TV, of passive aggression, of ‘unfriending’ a party member on Facebook and in typical Greens-speak, of projecting, triggering and making the Darebin branch an unsafe space.”

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i am sympathetic to people who want a kinder gentler politics and very leery of the sjw snowflake bullshit the right loves so much. however if you whiteant a candidate because of microaggressions you should probably just kill yourself because this world isn't for you

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i’m absolutely certain that nothing can go wrong with a 40mm grenade launcher firing squash balls into crowds

is this meant to be a tough on crime thing? because my understanding was that the right were making poo poo up about small gangs of unruly teens not riots in the streets

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

correct, abbott will throw his biggest tantrum yet and nothing of consequence will happen

abbott has zero allies on the frontbench. either they’re wet libs and therefore wouldn’t support him in the first place (bishop, pyne) or they have their own ambitions that abbott is only a hindrance to (morrison, dutton). abbott is done as a political force.

quote this post when he topples turnbull a fortnight from now to own me

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’s insanely cool that we can trace a fairly straight line from nazis through news corp commentators to senior cabinet members

• Locked thread