Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That's quite the list of upcoming anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

My initial pass selected 13 Plan to Watches, not even including the inevitable action/rom com/comedy surprises of the season.

rip me

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

nielsm posted:

By the way shouldn't this have been the School Name Sports Team thread?

School Name Cultural Festival Thread

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

This problem was way more a thing in the 90’s IMO. I’m rewatching Full Metal Panic and drat do they shove in a ton of fan service that really didn’t need to be there.

These days? It’s definitely still a thing, but nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

In modern times the most profitable fanservice is probably the inexplicable hotsprings episode, and even counting any occurrence of Anime Fog still doesn't come close to 70%.

But it's not close to 0% either, unexpected or not.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

MagicAlex posted:

Magical Girl Ore is loving hilarious.

THUMBS UP
:thumbsup:

The show dangers itself, because it tries so hard to subvert ... all the things... making everything so completely stupid, and leaves it up to the viewer to decide if it's cringe or if it works... and it's pushing all my buttons. All aboard toot toooot

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There's something metaphorically fitting and somewhat distressing when comparing horses to anime/idol girls. It's pretty :smith: once you think about it; the training, use, and discard life-cycle.

That said, I've been made dumber by watching one episode of Uma Musume. The sound effects and shot composition were p good though, and they certainly did their homework with the characterizations, ...horseifications? whatever.

For those staying to watch hopefully it remains a simple lighthearted sports idol magical horse girl anime with less of male characters wanting to gently caress the horses, but yea I'm out.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Early review: 3D Kanojo appears to be the lesser Galko-chan+romcom show everyone was expecting instead of that Girlfriend is a Gal garbo from last year. But still has the potential to end up middling and mediocre. Props to the show for making the main girl so abrasive it actually got me thinking about unrelated American girls, as if the director took a trip to the South Jersey shore and tried interacting with locals to get ideas for her character.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This is the most shallow thing I've said in many years, but I can't support Tada-kun because the blondie's straight bangs haircut is just awful. Like no one in the history of the world has ever looked good with bangs like that, why.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Wark Say posted:

If you mean Kaoru, I think it shouldn't be too hard to find photographic evidence of Mamoru Miyano (Kaoru's VA) rocking a similar hairdo to much success. Then again, when you're that good-looking, you could probably rock a bald head and still look hella handsome.

If you mean Teresa, I also have bad news:

DisDisDis posted:

:colbert:

the tada kun google image search is mostly full of some blonde chick but I found this other tiny blonde chick in there who looks cool

this is all proving my point: that straight bang style is terrible and can be improved by doing anything else.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Comic Girls has the most insecure main character I've ever seen and it's kind of hard to like her.

edit: maybe that's being too harsh. Intense personal insecurity is a pretty real artist experience

This sucks because Slow Start was just last season and this character style is kinda blergh the second time around, but w/e.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

is way closer to what normal game players would be like than a dude that identifies every weapon by its sound

This is how people have been playing CounterStrike for two decades. Play a sound clip of an AWP shot and every player will know exactly what it is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

LLENN and P-chan contending for best romance of Spring 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Every single game uses the same random gen character creation?? What the heck

This made me :raise: too until I thought a bit about game design while watching: giving people full control over their character creation upfront would probably do more damage than good in several ways. People already spend tons of time upfront designing their characters, in VR this might actually kill them. Less snarkily, getting people into the game quicker with some presets and adjusting later is a much better design, since those that want to customise view it as a reward anyways, so may as well make it one. And being handed a character based on a range of your specs does feel more personal.

This also is handwaved by the exposition that this is only the 2nd gen of VR games. By the 5th gen I'm sure there will be games that are almost entirely based on character customizations. Like character creation was just less developed when Everquest/WoW began versus RPGs now. There just weren't options to play a pretty princess maker like Guild Wars 2 back in 2004.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 14, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Server lag/ping would be the big one as the more players you have on the more it would mess with things. It's why shooters tend to have caps for matches that are smaller than open world MMO's

We probably won't see a full scale Action/shooter MMO till most of the internet is on Fibre which won't happen any time soon (in North America)

Planetside managed this well, and that was a decade ago.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Hinamatsuri is already my favorite show of the season. Episode 2 was perfect, funniest show I've seen since Nichijou I think.

All props to the team adapting this. Without even reading any of the manga I can tell the style of humor and all the pacing and deadpan delivery is spot-on.

The entire hidden talent bar-tending prodigy section was choice :discourse:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Araki posted:

Wotakoi was alright. I don't really like the main character's VA, and the two male characters are a bit too similar in both voice and personality. Some decent jokes, while others fell flat due to poor timing. I don't care that much about the otaku angle, but it might turn into a good romcom show.

I thought her voice was the best part of the episode. VA showed some good range, from satirically ultra cute to buddy buddy friend to disgruntled office lady to jaded romantic.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

There's a terrifying amount of stuff airing this season that looks really interesting to me, please help me narrow it down at least a little bit from this list

- Golden Kamuy
- Hinamatsuri
- Hisone to Maso-san
- Lupin III Pt. 5
- Megalo Box
- SAO Alternative

What from that list looks skippable to you guys

From most skippable to least:

Golden Kamuy appears to add no value over the source material.

Hisone to Maso-san has the dumb Netflix release schedule, so either it will be talked about for a long time or will peter out so you can rely on reports from others who watched it first.

Lupin is timeless and can be watched at your convenience.

Hinamatsuri will have a sharp meme peak, so if it's your comedy jam then might want to stick with the popularity wave.

SAO sounds like your jam, so keep

Megalo Box still could flame out, but the upside is tremendous. Having the opportunity to watch and experience this while airing and choosing not to is too risky of a regret.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh Dragon Stomach Pilot is good so far, it just has less potential to be a "must watch while airing" show, especially if you are looking to only spend time on 5 or less shows. This show is so good that despite my wife and I having different tastes in comedy and her generally not watching action-y/mecha-y shows she was pretty engaged in the first episode with me making that "guuuh? *double take*" face at her.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Beato Believer posted:

Well, okay, as long as it burns cutely.

moe-ru~

...I'll see myself out.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh, has the consensus already moved on from "unintentionally and ironically hilarious"?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Early season roundup of shows without threads:

3D Kanojo - I miss the strong attitude from the main girl in Episode 1, but episode 5 has a chance to redeem. Not sure if the potential will be used fully here.

Amanchu Advance - More of the same scuba introspection with some added spice.

Captain Tsubasa - A good reboot so far of a sports classic.

Comic Girls - Perhaps the first fairly represented THICC anime girl? Nah...

Cutie Honey Universe - Can't do it. Something is just wrong.

Fumikiri Jikan - A cute 3 minute short, but compared to say Tsurezure Children may not hold.

Mahou Shoujo Ore - This feels like a show that I'll keep watching then be happy dropping like a rock after 2 bad episodes in a row. But I'm enjoying the ride so far. Also Real Akiba Boyz chose this show as their first dance of the season, which counts for something.

Shougeki no Soma 3rd Season 2nd time - More silly food orgasms, we know the drill by now.

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai - Probably next on the chopping block, but charming if you have the time.

Uma Musume - While seeing the nods to real-world horse racing history, I just can't do it. I've never bought into the idol shows, and there just isn't enough extra elevation to give me the incentive to watch this.

Wotaku ni Koi - A charming and fun subversion on the workplace romcom premise, but the hamfisted product placement is more shameful than "funny cuz bad".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

It was fantastic IMO. That particular line had basically zero bearing on anything else the show was trying to do.

It did reaffirm that the main characters were in fact dumb teenagers, and in context and scope with the adults in that scene, confirmed that geo-political debate was not what the show wanted to do. Like she was clearly doing a "ugh, if I correct her it's just gonna be messy to explain and ruin the atmosphere, let's just go with the kid-friendly explanation" deflection, but lots of viewers did not see it that way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh my goodness fine here are the subtitles:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I think that's the first cellphone screenshot I've ever seen with anywhere over 40% battery remaining, let alone at full :monocle:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I did not watch Evergarden, did it turn out bad?

The really, really good episodes were in the second half. Just scrolling through the thread for the show indicates when these episodes hit.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If by year-end 2019 there is a NASCAR-based anthropomorphic stock-car anime girl show I will literally eat a hat.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Because I watched the first episode and nothing grabbed me despite having zero expectations.

The show is thirsty AF and knows exactly which demographic it wants to target, and doesn't bite off more than it can chew. If you didn't find it interesting immediately you can safely assume you're not the target audience.

Specific example: I'm not sure how many boobsize jokes it too many, but I think the show is about to prove where that line is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

:911:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh cool, I won the bet with the wifey re: Kokoro's gender :woop:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Gleaning only happens after all the useful and good and viable crops have been harvested. This is a surprisingly apt metaphor.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dogsicle posted:

so Mitsuo Iso is doing a new original anime with designs by Kenichi Yoshida?

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/998262118259421184

what the christ

is this character's name "Nick Yolo" lmao

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

You're the thrift store version of Dick Spacious.

:iceburn: holy poo poo savage lmao

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Creature Family Days has this unfortunate sense of timing and pacing, perhaps because I'm watching the Japanese dub, but everything seems to take a half second too long, like pauses between dialogue, sentences in internal monologues, panning shots of scenery, etc. It's like the storyboard for an 11 minute show is stretched out to 15 minutes. Even the way the plot and premise are presented are affected by this stretched time, and this also makes characterization unfold in this unsatisfying way. I really want to like the show, but I don't think the time and the aggravation of going "c'mon, c'mon, just go!" are worth it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

To the fansubber of Saiki S2 ep 18: you are a god, holy poo poo, thank you for your sacrifice

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Truga posted:

poo poo I already forgot saiki s2 is a thing, I really liked s1. Better get back on that. I assume that post means it's still good.

It didn't, although yes S2 is a half star above S1 imho.

It meant that episode is chock full of non-standard text flying all over the screen and must have been hell to time and position everything but the fansubber pulled it off.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Grand Blue manga seems well received and features a cast of :siren: actual not-highschoolers :siren:

The Chio-chan manga is a bit rough but I found it amusing, and it could definitely benefit from sound effects and motion.

As one of the seemingly few that enjoyed Attack on Titan season 2 more than season 1, I shall quietly sit here in anticipation for the upcoming season.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I said rough, not bad/suck! With the right polish that show could be the top comedy of the season.

Davincie posted:

Director: Shinji Takamatsu
Series Composition: Shinji Takamatsu
Sound Director: Shinji Takamatsu

->

Gintama (TV) : Director, Storyboard, Supervision (eps 105-201)
Daily Lives of High School Boys (TV) : Director, Script (eps 1-12), Storyboard (OP; ep 12)

chio-chan meanwhile is done by the hacks that have managed to give beatless 4 recaps even while it looks like poo poo

oh, well maybe not. Expectations adjusted accordingly.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

you could have easily just made him a samurai in some random sengoku lord's service who got his killing experience killing other japanese and had that be his backstory. the fact that you specifically chose a scenario in which hes killed thousands of chinese is, well, weird.

good on the author for giving an actual apology, at least.

Obviously in this case it was not done in good taste or intent, but having anti-hero characters be demons or incarnations of evil is not necessarily a weird or novel thing. I could imagine a scenario where if one wanted to setup a shocking character backstory rife with violent baggage, the murder of thousands of Chinese makes for a pretty eye-catching hook, beyond some played out Sengoku figure. With good execution we'd follow the protag through a story of consequence.

It sounds like that is not anywhere near to being the case here, as it sounds like this character background was done just to be ostentatiously racist as gently caress, so yea.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

quote:

"But it's not tied to my resentment towards all Chinese people,"

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

western racism against blacks and arabs and mexicans and eastern europeans probably looks just as absurd from elsewhere

do cool kids these days still say the phrase "pause"? Because pause...

• Locked thread