Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

What an absolute douchebag

e: 1228 sees the beginning of the Sixth Crusade to reclaim Jerusalem

Rarity fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

XMNN posted:

like this is a valid point for wage slaves doing morally dubious work because the alternative is starving to death on the streets, but if "resigning" just means going back to earning £60k or whatever and being on the news a bit less often, then lol

That’s not how they are seeing it. Use some loving empathy and imagine you’re a smug Tory MP from an upper middle class family. Privileged fucker, yeah? Doing morally dubious work, defo.

Then you get into cabinet and interact for first time with the real 1% and realise v fast that your decadent salary of GBP60k that people are lining up to tell you you are a oval office for having is a moderate wage slave level. Think about it: you’ve been raised to believe the British Parliament is a Very Important Thing, but you get paid like a senior receptionist at Morgan Stanley.

Then you’re supposed to hold the CEO of Morgan Stanley to account on your select committee.

And he’s sitting there trying to restrain the laughter.

System needs a total reset.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Chinese people seem to get comparatively little racist abuse from what I can tell. Chinatowns are everywhere and they're super obvious (the one in Newcastle has a huge Chinese gate for example), loads of the Chinese population speaks little to no English, non-Chinese owned local businesses frequented by Chinese people have signs etc in Chinese for them with Chinese speaking staff...and yet no one bats an eyelid. One tiny minaret on a mosque however and all the gammons are yelling about Londonistan. I have always found this weird contrast between two comparably insular ethnic communities pretty strange.

e: Come to think of it though, I can think of very few people in politics of East Asian ethnicity while there are a a reasonable number of South Asians.

That seems to be the case all the way down to the local level. I can think of a couple of reasons this might be but they all start veering dangerously into Kipper reductionist thinking, so I'll stick instead to the idea that the time of greatest South Asian migration into the UK (from the Ugandan expulsions through to the Bangladeshi War of Independence and the floods of the late 70s) coincided with a massive upheaval in UK politics generally, so there was certainly opportunity, and god knows motive, for those communities to get involved in local politics.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I still my old idea of paying MPs double their current wage or more, and then mandatory life sentences without parole if they get as much as a penny sweet from another individual or organisation - for everyone involved on both sides - could be reworked into something

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

That’s not how they are seeing it. Use some loving empathy and imagine you’re a smug Tory MP from an upper middle class family. Privileged fucker, yeah? Doing morally dubious work, defo.

Then you get into cabinet and interact for first time with the real 1% and realise v fast that your decadent salary of GBP60k that people are lining up to tell you you are a oval office for having is a moderate wage slave level. Think about it: you’ve been raised to believe the British Parliament is a Very Important Thing, but you get paid like a senior receptionist at Morgan Stanley.

Then you’re supposed to hold the CEO of Morgan Stanley to account on your select committee.

And he’s sitting there trying to restrain the laughter.

System needs a total reset.

Basic salary for an MP is 77k, FYI. Also a free house and subsidised meals and booze.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao² https://twitter.com/BBCParliament/status/991024762779525122

this was the nightmare scenario for the brexiteers hahahaha

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gizz:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Having watched May answering questions from journalists on the news earlier, she doesn't seemed to have learned any strategies for coping with difficult questions. Look terrified, gurn and tell barefaced lies/change the subject.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let her be clear

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

Chinese people seem to get comparatively little racist abuse from what I can tell. Chinatowns are everywhere and they're super obvious (the one in Newcastle has a huge Chinese gate for example), loads of the Chinese population speaks little to no English, non-Chinese owned local businesses frequented by Chinese people have signs etc in Chinese for them with Chinese speaking staff...and yet no one bats an eyelid. One tiny minaret on a mosque however and all the gammons are yelling about Londonistan. I have always found this weird contrast between two comparably insular ethnic communities pretty strange.

e: Come to think of it though, I can think of very few people in politics of East Asian ethnicity while there are a a reasonable number of South Asians.

Thinking about it this "let's build a post-Brexit immigration system" YouGov map is a pretty good (depressing) indicator of how accepted given ethnicities are:

Going by that the Irish will be fine, though I guess it does also show how affected by recent trends it is (the survey was done right after Erdogans post-coup crackdown, when it was all over the news).

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Let her be clear

*twitch* BUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS *gurn*

Private Speech posted:

Thinking about it this "let's build a post-Brexit immigration system" YouGov map is a pretty good (depressing) indicator of how accepted given ethnicities are:

Going by that the Irish will be fine, though I guess it does also show how affected by recent trends it is (the survey was done right after Erdogans post-coup crackdown, when it was all over the news).

What's with all the Turk hate? BoJo being part Turkish?

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2018

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Josef bugman posted:

I didn't get the role at the big London Museum. :(

Oh well, I was one of 6 people interviewed out of 100+ people so I must be doing something right!

Didn't want this to get missed, well done on getting that far at least dude! Next time you'll be so much better prepared :unsmith:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

biglads posted:

1st August 2016:

Turkey coup attempt: Erdogan 'snatch squad' soldiers captured

It quickly went downhill for Turkey from there.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Basic salary for an MP is 77k, FYI. Also a free house and subsidised meals and booze.

Is this supposed to be a substantive difference vs GBP 60k? This poo poo goes in bands:
Struggling to survive
Fixed that
Fixed and comfortable
Wealthy
Leisure class

60 and 77 are both at the low end of Fixed and comfortable.

By contrast, basic salary at a decent NYC law firm as of today is USD 180k which is approximately 2x what Amber Rudd gets paid for being a terrible, spineless Home Secretary and is a metric fuckton more than any public servant gets without having demonstrated how badly they can gently caress up.

By memory, investment banks start lower but scale up fast.

So being aware of all this I’m not sure why we don’t pay our public servants a ton more because there is a very well established link between corruption and underpaying the people who make the system work.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

biglads posted:

I would not be shocked to discover that the thumbs are still hung up on the crusades.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Private Speech posted:

1st August 2016:

Turkey coup attempt: Erdogan 'snatch squad' soldiers captured

It quickly went downhill for Turkey from there.

Sadly I think it's more likely to be "Turkey are joining the EU so we better brexit quick before they all come over here" than "Gosh, that Erdogan seems quite the illiberal type"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

Is this supposed to be a substantive difference vs GBP 60k? This poo poo goes in bands:
Struggling to survive
Fixed that
Fixed and comfortable
Wealthy
Leisure class

60 and 77 are both at the low end of Fixed and comfortable.

By contrast, basic salary at a decent NYC law firm as of today is USD 180k which is approximately 2x what Amber Rudd gets paid for being a terrible, spineless Home Secretary and is a metric fuckton more than any public servant gets without having demonstrated how badly they can gently caress up.

So being aware of all this I’m not sure why we don’t pay our public servants a ton more because there is a very well established link between corruption and underpaying the people who make the system work.

Cabinet members get at least 140k (for some reason parliament.uk doesn't have numbers since 2010 - :thunk: - but the allowance was 70k even then. Plus once you're Home Secretary you basically have zero outgoings whatsoever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/991014822371196928
Labour pulls absolutely no punches with its videos any more, and it's both glorious and heartbreaking.

This was on ITV during the evening news tonight. In full instead of any adverts. Great time to show it!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

biglads posted:

Sadly I think it's more likely to be "Turkey are joining the EU so we better brexit quick before they all come over here" than "Gosh, that Erdogan seems quite the illiberal type"

Fair enough, but I remember when the map was published by YouGov, and back then I wasn't really surprised about the Turkish hate, because the top 3 BBC headlines at the time were about the "crisis in Turkey" and how they are jailing all the good atheist folks and how horrible islamists they are being and all.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

biglads posted:

It's no coincidence that all the "less immigration" countries are the ones who have large and visible communities in this country already (and are also non-white ofc).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Of course, 'American' isn't an ethnicity, for example. A lot of the thumbs who are generically fine with Americans immigrating are probably much, much less fine with my American immigrant wife in particular.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

biglads posted:

Yeah Turkey was the bogeyman all the more ah colourful Leave materials hyperventilated over, because they're joining the EU not

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
If we don't leave the EU, then Turkey will join it, and 75 million people will be free to come over here. That's what my mate Nige said.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Was worried this account was dead, glad to see it's still going.

biglads posted:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

biglads posted:

a) Muslims
b) news stories about erdogan
c) comparatively lots of coverage about Turkish and Kurdish organised crime and street gangs in the UK, who have a habit of batting above their weight

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ukle posted:

It is.

The problem is all one of May's making. Due to her complete and utter gently caress up of triggering Brexit before she has started it in Parliament it means they have to get both houses to pass the legislation. Normally they could just bypass the Lords after a year - the problem is they don't have a year! Due to this vote, it means that Brexit really is now in the hands of the Lords - assuming they revote for it at the next and only time it can go before the Lords again. If they re-add the amendment again May won't have the time necessary to force it through, thus making the amendment kind of de facto in effect.

It all could have been avoided if they had just delayed formally triggered article 50 by 6 months so as to start the process in the Commons, which would have created enough time to force it through the Lords. They really have hosed this whole process up at every step.

double cigarette ration and comfortable blindfolds for all good aristos

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

learnincurve posted:

I would not be shocked to discover that the thumbs are still hung up on the crusades.

There's a racist wanker where I work who keeps going on to the Turkish lady about Constantinople and I'm pretty sure the only reason she hasn't reported him is that she clearly has no idea what the gently caress he's on about.

Spider Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Make tea not war

Beefeater1980 posted:

I agree that public servants should be paid more, but for some reason the general public don't seem to agree that working for the government is as valuable as working for a private firm, and to be fair the optics of MPs paying themselves more when the NHS is being starved of cash won't help them win reelection

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spectralent posted:

There's a racist wanker where I work who keeps going on to the Turkish lady about Constantinople and I'm pretty sure the only reason she hasn't reported him is that she clearly has no idea what the gently caress he's on about.

I work with a Greek guy and discuss Macedonia/FYROM with him because I love BalkanChat. I hope that doesn't make me a racist :ohdear:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

HJB posted:

If we don't leave the EU, then Turkey will join it, and 75 million people will be free to come over here. That's what my mate Nige said.

Not just free to come here, will come here. All of them. At the same time.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
On the one hand, lol at Woodcock being suspended. On the other hand any by-election triggered by the fallout of this will likely see that constituency go Tory, unless they put up a decent local candidate preferably with strong ties to the shipyard.

Source: I lived there for 30 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

On the one hand, lol at Woodcock being suspended. On the other hand any by-election triggered by the fallout of this will likely see that constituency go Tory, unless they put up a decent local candidate preferably with strong ties to the shipyard.

At least the Tory won't bang on about how much of a nazi Corbyn is with the entire press rushing to get their microphone closest to him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

spectralent posted:

It's Istanbul not Constantinople

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcze7EGorOk

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I strongly doubt it would result in a by-election. Even if he got expelled Woodcock would hang on as an independent just to dig at Corbyn, and then probably run again just to split the Labour vote. He's a spiteful arsehole.

On the positive side, an actual Tory MP would not be as damaging to Labour as Woodcock is.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
True but it’s another traditional safe seat lost (the majority has been shrinking under Woodcock though I actually cited him as my reason for cancelling my party membership) which the press will fall over themselves to fling at JC, unfortunately I don’t think it would swing back under his leadership if it does fall because ‘OMG THE ALMIGHTY SHIPYARD AND TRIDENT MUST PROTECT JOBS AT ALL COSTS DESPITE BEING THE POOREST WARD IN THE COUNTRY’.

Same voters were fully behind Brexit despite being one of the most isolated non-diverse communities in the country.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

At least the Tory won't bang on about how much of a nazi Corbyn is with the entire press rushing to get their microphone closest to him.
I wouldn't put it past them.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

batting above their weight

:colbert:

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Just going to leave this right here :toot:

https://youtu.be/cP47HjGOsuA

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone starts off trying to do the titration power stance. Then usually switches for good reason unless they've been doing their groin exercises.

I think I settled for leaning sideways on the bench and doing it that way.

What they should make is cable stayed burette stands.

• Locked thread