Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you have to be told that one of the key objectives of any UBI program, beyond keeping people from starving, is the generation of economic growth via social uplift; or that you offset any money handed out to people who don't need it via taxation*, then you're not qualified to loving comment.

*Of course, this hinges on the state actually enforcing taxation on the rich, but that's really not that hard once you re-gear the apparatus away from protecting capital to protecting society as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

I don't get how difficult it is to sell a message of "we are going to give you money and we are going to tax corporations and other people to get it"

It's a lot easier when you don't have the entire rest of your party screaming over you about whatever pet issue they have, that may or may not actually be any concern to your base, if you even knew what that was.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's true, you do have to be careful about just raising the floor on housing affordability without means testing.

It's far better to work on the supply side, by killing off incentives to own multiple properties.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Before Times posted:

yeah this was my thought as well.

build more inner city/ inner suburb apartments IMO (unironically, this is what we need to do to make poo poo more affordable)

Which is why the developers won't wanna do it.

While houses are selling for 200-400% of their real value, they're all making massive bank. So they'll stick to luxury apartments in the cbd maybe, but blocks of cheaper flats in the inner suburbs? NIMBYs hate them, they drive down property values (good) and also make said inner suburbs less exclusively white and upper-middle class.

That's why you don't see anyone building apartment blocks that aren't targeted and rich assholes anymore.

Edit: This may not apply to Melbourne and Sydney, but definitely Perth and probably Brisbane, Adelaide.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I wish someone would automate this loving thread

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm all the people living happily on thirty five loving thousand dollars a year in TYOOL 2018 and still choosing not to work in a chosen field if the opportunity presents itself

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
IMO if you eat taco Bell when GyG is a thing and aren't expressly trying to poo poo yourself in public then you're probably still not as poo poo as some of the posters ITT

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GoldStandardConure posted:

plenty of people in auspol don't agree with me 100% (I will fite Don Donginton irl) and they aren't complete cunts

You're just a complete oval office.

I'm gonna punch u rite in ur lungs

And you're little bird too.

Also, there is a Scottish Indian restaurant in the outer suburbs of Perth now that sells munchie boxes. Tartan Spice. Bit of a trek, but if you managed to get ahold of a sizable quantity of Bucky and feel the need then well it's there.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
V I C T I M C O M P L E X.

These people tend to be toxic narcissists who can't possibly fathom the idea of someone else's poo poo mattering more than theirs, and that extends to persecution and disadvantage.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The PM has to be a sitting member of the lower house as far as I understand it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Just remember to go back and edit your post to something more favorable once Dutton takes over and commences the purge on all disloyal citizens.

We've always been at war with Brown People.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

You Am I posted:

Liberals keep on half arsing the NBN, coming up with "fibre to the curb".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-08/nbn-launches-fibre-to-the-curb-technology/9631262?WT.ac=statenews_vic

loving hacks just put it straight to the home. Bonus lols that existing NBN customers can't get this service.

FTTC is a pretty huge leap forward from FTTN though. It actually has an upgrade path to gigabit, once they switch the last run from VDSL to g.fast, and it's a lot cheaper to then upgrade to fibre to the home if you need it. At present, it'll cost you upwards of $16k to go from FFTN to FTTH. FTTC to FTTH should be about 1/8th the cost.

Why not do that to begin with, you say? NBN co claim that 20% of the expense of the fibre rollout related to the lead-in - AKA replacing the length of copper UTP cabling from the PIT out the front of your house to the wall socket. That's pretty significant for what amounts to maybe 1% of the total cable run from the POI to you. They need access to your home, which means appointments, and delays from both sides. Add in that they have to install a fibre box in the garage and to really take advantage of it you need to install a comms rack and cable runs etc, it's a pretty significant increase in effort from just dropping an IP67 rated case with a mini VDSL/GFAST box inside the PIT, which is powered down the phone line by the end user equipment. Now that's irrelevant for new builds and developments - they should be full fibre from day one, and the fact that the liberals immediately wiped out the regulation making sure this happened days after taking office is a loving travesty.

Really, though, the max connection speed of individual installations has become less of an issue, with most people opting for 50 or 25mbit connections anyway - the real problem is with the network architecture, thanks to the ACCC being allowed to get involved, which has blown out the cost of operating the thing under the auspices of "making it more competitive". For clarity - the NBNCo network ends at the Point of Interconnect. The POI is where the Retail Service Provider (RSP) takes over. Thanks to the ACCC, instead of having 1 or maybe 2 POIs per state, there are 122 in total. The idea was to make the cost of entry cheaper, by allowing a smaller ISP to roll out area by area - and yes it did achieve this, so in terms of getting more players into the market, it did what it was intended to do.

Insisting on 122 POIs also forces every national RSP to purchase and manage bandwidth (CVC) for each individual POI, instead of on a state by state basis, which is a major cause of congestion issues, due to many RSPs (such as iinet/TPG) either not giving a gently caress about congestion issues, or cheaping out and giving everyone unlimited connections but providing about 1/2 the bandwidth needed during peak times.

The other major issue is that the coalition have taken the whole "NBN must pay for itself by 202x" to the extreme, so the cost of CVC is unrealistically high. Most experts agree that the NBN should be subject to an asset write-off and the service be provided at cost.

These two issues together combine to mean that even where 250Mbit connections are available (on FTTH), nobody can justify paying for them, or literally can't get data moving at that speed due to congestion. Even 100/40 costs you 100/month at best, and only a handful of RSPs can get you there when you need it. So yeah, the endpoint technology is less of an issue right now than fixing the infrastructure, which means when Labor do finally scrape in a win, they'll need to do yet another major review and remediation exercise, which is going to take more time and more money and much like with the FWC, they can't really blame the Liberals for the decision making because they let it happen in the first place.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on Labor, I'll take centrist Labor over LNP any loving day of the week, twice on weekends and 4 times more on days ending with a y. I was very excited in 2007 for Kevin Rudd because it was a movement back towards the left but his inability to manage his colleagues and biting off more than he could chew against the mining lobby lead to some very disappointing circumstances following the Howard years, to the point where they took someone who would have been a permanent Labor lifer and broke me off the drat party.

For me it was partly this, and party the horrific performance of the Gallop/Carpenter state governments, and their insistence on turning WA into an absolute nanny state. Lockouts, pathetic/prohibitionist liquor licensing, NIMBY bullshit everywhere. I'm not saying Barnett was any better (but hey he fixed the liquor licensing debacle with the small bars licence), but I expected a lot more from them.

McGowan still hasn't impressed me that much beyond canning Roe 8 tbh.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

There's a reason they call it Relevance Deprivation Syndrome, PMs have never understood why people turn on them. Rudd and Abbott are more alike than is comfortable for anyone watching politics. Howard still meddles, think about how long that shadow is on the LNP. Actually, I'm wondering how strong that generational divide is getting in the federal party, just how far will the Patersons et. al. go to differentiate themselves from a party on autopilot for 11 years?

The only young blood getting preselected for federal seats now are the True Believers, whom to a letter either worship Howard, or wish he'd gone further. Patterson is every bit as lovely as Howard. Hastie's another example. All of the recent turnover has put lunatic young lib shitheads in seats - and from what I understand is going on in that little cesspit, it's only getting worse. This started under Howard and it's been going on ever since.

You have a handful of 'moderates' under 50, like Frydenberg and Pyne, but they're only there because they're weasley types who will tie their own mother to the tracks for a leg up. They don't actually give a gently caress about any of the things that young people probably give a gently caress about, like not killing the planet, or not letting housing become a giant ponzi scheme.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

I don't get why rich people are appearing publicly to act poor when any journalists worth their weight can pick up on the fact that they are actually rich as gently caress

If you can take one thing away from all of this, the thing you should take away from it is that THE PEOPLE REPORTING THE NEWS ARE ALSO THE PEOPLE VOTING FOR THE LIBERAL PARTY.

Celebrities and news reporters for major outlets (so not independent or minor, such as Crikey and Buzzfeed) are all, to the letter, part of the class they are defending. Yes, not all of them have millions of dollars in the bank, but most of them earn enough that they would fall way over the line where Rusted on Liberal Voters begin, and the older generations will be sitting on millions of dollars of property. These people are either legit loaded, or worse, the HENRY demographic, who stand to lose the most from any move towards equality. Why the gently caress would you expect an ambitious news reporter on a healthy 6 figure salary to do anything to jeopardise their fragile hold on a comfortable living?

The media establishment has been lying through their teeth to the working classes for decades about their opportunities, and what's best for them. The celebrities people worship were complicit in convincing multiple generations of children that they were all going to be millionaires if they just tried hard enough. poo poo, most Americans, and I'm positive that a decent chunk of idiot swing voters in Australia still believe this. This is why you get people earning 50k voting against estate taxes. Aspirational Class fuckery.

There are a handful of celebs that give a poo poo, but most of them aren't lining up to give away their beachfront properties or sports cars. They're complicit as gently caress in the current situation, as much as the small l liberals who infected the supposedly left wing parties in the 90s and drove them hard into the neoliberal agenda: Blair, Keating, Clinton etc.

Don't be a sucker - the media aren't interested in the truth. They're going to fight tooth and nail against any attempts to make life fairer for the majority.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Senator for Tasmania doesn't give a gently caress about women's rights when they're trying to terminate unwanted pregnancies, mistah speaker.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I saw an article suggesting that the Ellenbrook line and Byford extension are also kicking off next year with federal funding so yeah Trumble is definitely toast

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Looks I just don't think you appreciate what Superior Economic Management looks like.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh hey like 60 posts since breakfast, I wonder what's happened in Auspo-

:itwaspoo:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Yassmin Abdel-Magied tried to gain access to the United States under false pretenses and was turned away.

Did you develop aspergers overnight and totally lose the ability to process nuance and sarcasm

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Despite a range of perspectives and opinions on a great many subjects, there's two things that never fail to bring Auspol together:

Bitcoin and Mia Freedman being poo poo-tastic in both concept and delivery.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry said the ACTU policy would result in “the law of the jungle” governing Australian industrial relations.

“The ACTU calls this a blueprint to give Australia a pay rise,” the statement said. “In reality it’s a blueprint for strikes and increased union power at the expense of jobs – unless wage increases are affordable one person’s pay rise will cost another person their job.

“We call on unions to work with business to fix the system, not destroy it.”

Don't bother presenting any evidence, and also feel free to ignore the fact that we've been trying that since the 90s, gave Employers most of the power to the point where we can't even withdraw our labour without approval from a stacked statutory body - and It. Didn't. Work.

I trust the ACTU to handle this well, but the ALP have a tremendous capacity to gently caress up comms on this sort of stuff.

Oh yeah it'd also be really loving good if the Greens were out there supporting Change the Rules, seeing as it's all very well aligned to their policies but *tumbleweeds*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
COD gamers are probably already voting for the LNP because that's what alt right MRA fuckweasles do isn't it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

You Am I posted:

How soon people forget about the Wikileaks Party...

Who

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress. The. SDA.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So at what point does it become okay to just start punching these people in the streets

Asking for a friend

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yes it's all fun and games until the unwashed swing voters of Victoria, who's eyes glaze over any time someone starts to talk about politics, decide it's been about long enough and deliver the Liberals into govt.

Then you get stuck with that pack of crazies trying to ban homosexuality for 4 years.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There is no way either of the big parties wouldn't gently caress up legalisation and regulation unless the Greens had the ability to block legislation in the senate, and even then 90% chance they'd use it as an opportunity to claim they're hypocrites in the media.

DOES THE SENATOR FOR TASMANIA WANT WEED OR NOT MISTAH SPEAKER

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Konomex posted:

I was unaware smoking weed led to lycanthropy, had the Hobo bitten anyone?

We don't have smoking areas in WA, do other states actually still let smoker just smoke it up around all the normal people?

I've smoked weed AND bath salts, and never killed any hobos,

Also some places do still have smoking areas, they're just far less common than some states.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

Also don't stop the dogs because you can still nab people for dealing without the appropriate licence but now you have a whole industry on your side going "stop cutting into our profits". Home growers or small outlets can operate like wineries.

Dogs alert inaccurately like 77% of the time

You idiot

You loving moron

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I smoke but I don't like it. As Keanu Reeves says "it's a prison". At least I can derive amusement when smoker crack it or whatever. Don't make everyone else's life miserable... There are still plenty of places to smoke should you walk the entire 5 meter journey away from the shop.

Legit goodpost from notorious JBP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We need a bin for potatoes.

Just the one.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Then they will build a golf course over it and pretend nothing happened.

Ah, so you're familiar with Burswood then.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Peter Martin's actually a pretty good commentator when it comes to economic matters.

Clearly he needs to stay the gently caress away from subjects such as nation-building, technology and infrastructure.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

I'm told we have concerns about people tripping over the rock when going to place wreaths. This is bad because people tripping is bad and they don't look down to see the rock. Also not a great look on ANZAC Day to walk on s memorial to the fallen .

Are they worried about civilians, or officers

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

Making jokes about aged care is scary man.

My folks will be in the aged care required bracket in 10 or do years time and I'm already worried about how I deal with that.

Hopefully you'll be able to use all that sweet rock guardin' money to take care of them!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So some of us aren't weirdo incel nihilists and actually have kids so

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just got an email from iinet, offering me a $65 refund because the ACCC have determined that my previous FTTN service was only capable of 98.7mb/sec, instead of the advertised 100mb/sec

Never mind that the peak congestion actually resulted in a 40mb/sec service during most common use periods, no lets worry about a <2% speed deficit on entirely useless maximum attainable speed ratings.

I for one am thrilled that the ACCC are probably going to bankrupt smaller operaters for the crime of *shock* reselling the speed tiers that NBN co sold them.

(I'm still going to take the loving money because TPG are loving vultures, oversold the poo poo out of my area, and also refused to offer a 50/20 speed tier which was supposed to be part of the basic NBN co model, instead forcing me to pay 25/month more or drop down to an ADSL2+ speed)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

are you in a regional or urban area because tpg offer 50/20 out in the sticks where I am but that may be penance for the fact that on adsl they couldn’t even offer more than 200 gigs a month out here

I think iiNet/tpg offer 50/20 now, no doubt due to the ACCC finding against them.

Not offering the 50/20 plan is shameless price gouging. It literally cost them nothing to provide it as NBN handles that side of things - they just wanted everyone paying $25 a month for bandwidth they wouldn't need.

Edit: 25 a month MORE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently NBN co have quietly made major changes to the way CVC is charged for, essentially making it 50% cheaper, and improving supply to the point that Aussie Broadband are talking about introducijg unlimited plans for the first time in may.

So congestion on TPG services should rightly be down - it's just be a question of how long until their board insists they improve their profit margin and it all goes to poo poo again.

• Locked thread