Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
The minigun is good for scattering people. A lot of teams will simply scatter when you're firing at them with it.
C4 is fun as poo poo to lay traps with, especially when you know you're being followed. I've also used it very well many times as a distraction, I'm running around to the left side of your fort while your team is rushing towards the right side where I just set off some explosives. Pistols? I will destroy you with a hand cannon from miles away.
I'm waiting for remote control car bombs to really start some annoying poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Withnail posted:

why is this game so loving frustrating?
Because unless you get a full team with a mic they'll all land in the most populated named place and RACE towards danger while gathering as much as they can and not sharing.
In any mode I can crack the top ten by being cautious, sneaking, and not shooting people from 500 miles away. I've taken out entire teams by myself by just not running at them full tilt shooting a shotgun which is, apparently, a strategy no one else has thought of. I just don't have the reflexes for the end game though. With a good team to compensate we always get first place but I always get shot by some constantly jumping guy who has memorized shot damage ratios runs up behind me putting me in 9th place.
I got frustrated last game and just set up a trap in the ditch, killed NINE guys (before Thanos invaded and killed me with hand power before I could even turn to face him). It was cheap but I felt better.

Also don't join stranger's firefight, just wait for them to finish and mop up. I mean come on. I hate pubbie teams.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

John Murdoch posted:

IME, posthumous kills don't increment challenges, sadly. I would've finished explosive kills a lot sooner that way.

What's really fun is playing 50v50 and having 49 useless squadmates instead of only 3. :buddy:

I think I lost every single 50v50 game but one today, because every single time my team's grand plan was: Run around like idiots in the lowest possible spot in the circle, building tiny forts that are still miles shorter than the other team's just over there oh whoops everyone died somehow?
Ugh. You SEE the flight paths: if your team starts closer to the circle you land and start setting up defenses, if theirs is you mass up and swarm. I think I like 20 v better.

What I'd really like is to force a base assault by giving one team a headstart on building and the other starting further away. Or a "fog" mode where visibility is reduced so sniping and zerg rushing is inadvisable. Something that plays to my strengths.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Guys I just got killed because I was distracted playing the skeet game at loot lake.

I got distracted playing a game INSIDE A GAME!!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Autism Sneaks posted:

I couldn't exactly figure out what it was last season that left so many 50v50 games decided early in the match, but this season it's definitely whichever side has the most people dicking around in golf carts instead of moving towards the eye loses
"Apes strong together".

I can't tell you how many games I've stood and rained hell from above on the other team only to be flanked by a squad because everyone else on my team ran off in random directions instead of watching my back (I'm poo poo in close fighting so I'm going to die if you run up to me). When I spot a sniper team on my side I'll always stay to watch their backs. Most of my kills are people running up behind a small base of my team not expecting opposition. Stand a little to the right or left and don't open fire right away and no one will ever see you until it's too late. A full squad with mics working together and communicating can beat most anything. Last game my squad took the high ground and held off four other full teams until they died in the storm.

And there's only one real use for the ATK: distraction. NO ONE can resist shooting at it, drive into the center of the largest gun battle and power slide in circles: the ENTIRE enemy team will start firing at you while getting shot by your team. Get ready to build when it gets destroyed if you can't find a partner to do your building.
I mean there are other ways to play the game than an endless Zerg rush towards the other team is all I'm saying.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Super Rad posted:

Smoke nades are strong in BRs where you might end up with a cover deficiency when you need to rotate. Between spam building, rifting, launch pads and bouncers I think fortnite gives you enough ways to escape being pinned as it is. Now if all grenades had their own dedicated slot...

Crossbow was also a huge bummer weapon for me personally because at least with other weapons you don't want if you find those then at least there might be useful ammo - never the case with crossbows. There was always something that seemed especially cruel about opening a late game chest desperately needing *something* and getting crossbow, bandages and wood.

I like vaulting the items that are underperformers because fortnite already has so many different weapons, consumables and traps that every time they add a mediocre one it just reduces your chances of actually running into something useful.
Useful to you is not always useful to me.

They do need a way to launch smoke and stink grenades.

My question is if they have all the info on how much items are used and where people go on the map and all that info why do revolvers still exist? I don't think I've ever used one or had one used on me.

Also I miss the swamp :(

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Is there a place for PS4 buddies? I like to play squads and build when I'm high, buddies help me focus a little (I still suck, don't let me build megafort, I'll just keep going until I die).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mr Hootington posted:

Add MrHootington
In four hours I'll be right on that :)

Coolness Averted posted:

just never carry a gun he wants if you plan on going up to a high place :laugh:
I'm a very sharing teammate I'll have you know.

One tip I got that works for me is to make sure to arrange your toolbelt. Personally I go "close range" "long range" "health/shield" "explosive" "explosive".

I gotta start recording games, the replay options are pretty drat cool.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mr Hootington posted:

Add MrHootington

Can't find you!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Season 5 it became law.
I had two LMGs and a drum gun and just unloaded on the last guy who rebuilt the same wall until he got shot.
By me.
With a gun.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Last night I got ambushed by a team, I quickly built a few walls and a platform, threw down a jump pad and a remote explosive and jumped away. I landed on the other side of a tree and hit the explosive which downed two of the four (the rest of my team had wandered off on their own, they just grabbed a cart and drove off). I then just threw my entire stock of explosives at the little building the survivors built.

Later on I fired a rocket launcher at a wall directly in front of me.

I then got high and played counting coup. I tagged 15 people before the 16th finally killed me. Players PANICKING when you hit them with a single shot is hilarious, and if you can steal their golf cart while they're looting and get away clean? :kiss:

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. You hit the nail square on the head there. If only there were some way in this game for me to team up with people, then I'd do better. If only.
No one wants to be the "git gud" guy but if you're consistently losing maybe change tactics? I'm terrible at face to face encounters so I adapt to avoid them. You can get a win without going face to face. No one is saying it's "impossible to play to win" , they're saying that there is no sure strategy to winning so always have a plan B. I don't ever get mad at people hiding in bushes or waiting around a corner, those people are just like you: they don't have the "twitch reflexes" of your 11 year old so they adapted to a new strategy.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Finally got my second sniper kill in the cheapest way possible. some person started shooting me inside the storm (we both could have made it) so I turned around and started sniping, finally downed them under the lake. I had no way of finding them. Then it was a mad dash to the circle where they died a half second before I did which still gave me the kill but god dammit the name of this game should be "Hilariously Dickish".

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Orange Sunshine posted:

But the whole point of the game is to win. If not, then there's also no point in shooting anyone and you might as well build some cool forts and sing songs over the voice chat.
Yeah, we're going to have to report that.

Also I JUST realized that the cactus emote is just a way to call someone a "prick". Guess what's going into my heavy rotation wheel next.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Just want to share a funny death. Dropped into tilted and landed on the clock tower with someone else. We battled it out and I killed him in a pick axe fight. Someone dropped on the apartment next door and took shots at me but I was able to hide and use bandages from the chest in the clock tower. I'm not sure exactly what someone used but when I busted the floor out someone had basically destroyed the whole tower underneath me so I fell to my death.

I really wish I could let that guy know I respected his move and laughed for a solid minute.
I landed in Junk Junction and ran inside the main building just as someone came over the roof. I knew he saw me so I ran like hell to a golf cart and took off. They saw me and I barely escaped with 4 health and their final shot blew the cart up. Luckily I was close enough to an Easter Island* head that I could take a rift. So I did. I then dove back, over and over, and used all the rifts. On the last dive he shot and killed me. Then got lost in the storm because all the rifts and cart were gone. He'll never know I killed him on purpose.

A Man and his Hog posted:

I’ll never get a sniper kill. I’ve accepted this.
In 50vs50 just go at them sideways and keep your distance. You don't have to shoot people in the face and with two large opposing forces they're too busy running around each other and building to notice you far to the left. Hunker down and take a few shots that bounce harmlessly and frustratingly off their shield until one guy takes one shot that kills you instantly. That's what I do.
But really: look for the largest group of your team and stay a bit to the side your team dropped from and wait until the bulk of them hits a bulk of bad guys. Using a cart to get in position works great.

*has anyone checked on the real heads?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Headshot, 261m. Then some jumpy gently caress jumped around like a gently caress and shot me. loving jumpy fucks. Why the gently caress does it gimp me after I jump twice but every other player can jump for infinity?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

dmboogie posted:

any of you guys got any good stories about making impromptu truces with other players in solo?

i just had a match where me and another dude landed right on top of one of the streetlamp spotlights and just grooved together for a bit, until some rudelord ruined it by shooting at us. we both ran for cover, and I was able to grab a weapon and deal with the jerk. When I was finished with him, I looked up to see my dance partner waiting. He dropped a medkit in front of him so I could heal myself back up to full. :unsmith:

I saluted and then we ran our separate ways... we may never know each other's names, but we'll always have a single shining moment of dancing

Dropped into Twisted on a lark and enemy got to chest before me but didn't notice me behind him. When he busted through the floor and dropped to the second level he looked up and saw me. I started doing a dance and he, after a second, dropped a gun. I picked it up and we both chopped out the sides and ran in opposite directions. Much respect.

One time I dropped into the desert town and spotted what was obviously a very young player just kind of hopping around and looking at stuff. I watched him for a bit and when he spotted me he opened fire very very badly. I had full health and shields so I let him hit me a bunch before I retired him. I let my 5 year old nephew wander about in empty areas sometimes so I'm betting that's what was going on.

When swamp was still around me and a pubbie landed their only to find two other guys. We exchanged a few cover shots before another guy opened fire on them in the middle of our shoot out. I swear one of them looked at me for a second before we both turned and just ended the new guy. So the four of us danced a bunch together, exchanged some health and shield, and ran off in different directions. About a minute later I'm watching a full squad in the distance when my teammate and both of the guys from the other team just casually run over to me, see the other squad, and we all rush together. Didn't survive, but I maintain that the friendships we made along the way were the real prize.

Also rift-to-go will work on enemies too. Sometimes I like to just kidnap someone from the other teams.

I will say I want the car physics to go back to normal, being bounced to hell by a single shot makes it hard to escape.

Mongoose posted:

I did a lot of chiller experiments in playground yesterday.
That said, I can't wait to see some clips of them used offensively. On top of build fights, at the bottom of ramps (can't walk up ramps with them), combo'd with traps, half hidden in the ground on a hill that must be run over to escape the storm...these things are going to have some nice highlight reels.
I built a freeze trap on the long end of a double ramp, I\/F style (the "F" is for "freeze trap") and when an enemy jumped into it he could no longer run up either ramp because his feet were frozen. It took him three freeze cycles to just smash the ramp.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

codo27 posted:

This other clown shoe who plays with us got a rage message from someone last night calling him the N word. I must say thats the first example of saltiness I've seen or heard of directly in this game and thats loving amazing to me.
My very second game ever garnered me a message that just said "NOOB". I'm so proud of that loving thing.

I didn't get the Battle Pass this season, nothing interested me.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mongoose posted:

Patch notes for yesterday's patch - https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v6-02

I'm not too hyped about disco domination because of the lack of materials / building in fights and low access to healing items. It just doesn't feel like "fortnite combat" when it's just low hp run-and-gun. It is cool that they're adding modes that make huge changes to the game. I'd love to see a capture the flag, especially if they put the modes on a new map (2fort?).
Why would you be lacking in materials? The first round matters very little and there's plenty of time when the storm is coming in. Not to mention umbrellas are redeployable. I've been building Megaforts in the second and third rounds and clearing Wailing of tons of trees.. I wanted a base defense mode and there's one hidden in this.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mongoose posted:

I didn't like Disco domination when I tried it, but watching pros put up 91 kills in one game there has been cool. Like you said, the basic strategy is drop somewhere out of the way with a lot of chests (pueblo village etc.), loot up the best possible weapons for group fights (scar, heavy shotgun, silenced scar) then kill yourself and fly to the center circle. Get a highground spot, hang out there killing as many people as possible.

I've literally played entire matches where I took a dance floor, and then just waited the time out because no one on the other team even tried to attack it. Similarly EVERY other game is me trying to capture one floor while two people simply surround and end me while 49 other teammates are trying to capture the center dance floor. For god's sake spread out a little! My entire team dying over and over for the center floor while the enemy sends a single player over to capture the other three.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

tinkerballz posted:

I will tell you what's going on...

People prioritize completing challenges over winning a game. It turns out that the domination mode is great for those "do x damage with y weapon" challenges as you respawn over and over again with the same loadout.

As so, by going to the center floor, were almost everyone is bond to be there, you will pretty much guarantee to get some damage in and complete the challenges if the y weapon is part of your loadout.
Oh word? Well, hopefully that will go away as people complete the challenge, thanks.

I'm gonna admit the Plague Doctor skin got me, had to get it. I hope they do more spoopy ones.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I just really like ringing doorbells. honestly they can add tons of stupid pointless poo poo and I'll die at least once every five matches doing it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Just throw a bunch of grenades and switch to a gun before they go off. You get 10 grenades to a slot, use 'em. As a bonus, with so few people actually doing this, I kill every person who tries to turtle up. Last night (in between frustrating as gently caress rounds with morons who use their mic ONLY to announce what guns they've found and then wordlessly wander away from the squad*) I was fighting a guy in a little fort who kept building, I just threw grenades and one blew up the wall and the second just went right into the fort before he could build the wall so he walled himself in with a grenade. After that he started panicking and I easily picked him off as he tried to escape.

*I seriously need to squad up with capable people, 90% of the time is little kids screaming about my voice or teens telling me to shut the gently caress up after I tell them I've spotted an enemy.

God dammit what is with all my page snipes?? I'm not interesting enough to top a page.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

BattleTech posted:

Ghost Train is like ultra loud and vision blocking huge, I super recommend not using it.
On Halloween you go for style points.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I get the balance argument, but frankly I've really been enjoying all the increased mobility options so :shrug:
Oh yeah, you're no longer just screwed if you land too far away. Slowly and slowly other people are learning this too and my far away landings aren't so safe.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Johnny Truant posted:

drat, they vaulted the double pistols? I really enjoy those :rip:
Dammit every gun I'm vaguely good at just goes away. :rip:

Nullsmack posted:

I'm hearing that they made it so your player character's mouth will move while you're talking in the in-game voice chat now.
Oh poo poo I talk constantly!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Barely survived long enough but got to see the whole thing. It landed on my finger!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Is anyone putting together an election night game marathon? I'm stocked up on edibles and want to keep from sitting in front of the computer or my phone refreshing every 18 seconds.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Without having played it yet, the way this game looks makes me think that this is where Timesplitters would have likely gone.

Am I the only one?
God I loved TimeSplitters. Future Perfect was drat near the pinnacle of shooters and an all around must buy. Criminally underrated franchise :(

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Fortnite question from a person that has never played it: According to my brother, my nephew is super into Fortnite. Is there some way for me to purchase Vbux then give them to him as a Christmas gift? Something equivalent to an Itunes/Google Play gift card but for Vbux? Thanks.
You can buy general "Playstation Store" giftcards and they can be used in Fortnite. That and distracting him while he's playing to throw some VBucks on the account so he eventually discovers a surprise are the only way I believe.

codo27 posted:

I know they couldn't have extended that a little further to envelop Tilted and wipe it out too. How long has that poo poo been there?
I'd be 100% interested to see the Fortnite heatmap. As busy as Tilted is always I doubt they'd ever change it. A ton of players get returned to the lobby within the first 3 minutes because they land there.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Balloons now attach to your back so you're free to shoot. It is now my goal to steal a plane mid-flight.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Johnny Truant posted:

I haven't played the new season yet due to a crazy schedule and also just purchasing a Switch, but this makes me fuckin hyphy as gently caress for it when I finally get around to it.

The only problem is that a guy with a pistol on the ground can very quickly take you down. Overall I want them to nerf gun damage to vehicles to almost nothing. Also I may be crazy but vehicle handling in general seems to be better.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

araeris posted:

Came back to Fortnite yesterday when I heard there were planes. Incredibly, I have not yet been shot while on a zipline. Got a Royale today for my first umbrella since season 2.

More importantly, I think killed a guy by running into him with a plane in that round? He was hiding in his little tower about 2 levels up and I just rammed where I thought he was, and then the kill popped as him having died from a fall.

I was all excited and forgot to take screenshots/videos. Sorry everyone.

Yeah the new additions really thinned out the heat map, now people land a little more higgilty piggilty to see new stuff or use a favorite gadget. And there are big white and red crosses that make a great impromptu alt if you have too much heat on your favorite spot. It feels faster paced and less crowded.

Also I gotta ask: how many are "too many" for the Fortnite two factor sign in messages? I get like 3-4 a day and 2-3 on top of that every time I play.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Have they said how they're going to choose what custom thing gets picked to be on the map?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I landed in Close Encounters. The circle was as far away as possible and I could not find a single jetpack or balloon pack so I just ran to the circle avoiding everyone. Eventually I found a balloon pack with a single balloon left.
I used that final balloon to hop into dusty divot. Where the sword guy was. I threw 13 pieces of dynamite and hopped around like an idiot before finally killing him.

I picked up the sword.
Was shot with a shotgun.
I swung the sword once.
The shotgun guy killed me.

gently caress this game.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Father Wendigo posted:

What's the recap and where do I sign up for the newsletter? :sigh:
They send you a bunch of exciting stats for how you did in the last season, kills, headshots, a small snippet of your highlights.

Or, if you're me, they tell you that you graffitoed 512 times.

If they sprinkle a bunch of "mythic" weapons around the map I'd like that, make a couple mobile. Honestly the only things I really want for this game is a way to communicate with other players, try to set up a temporary alliance. Tag someone and if they agree you're a team, put alliances on a timer, your entire strategy changes mid game and people with the sword are less safe.

Also I'm totally going to start a Battle Royale game with my new company, "Mythic", and the highest tier weapons will be "epic".

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Are there enough snowy hills for it to be even a thing? I'm picturing one guy at the bottom of that one hill just picking off people as they come down.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Nullsmack posted:

The hoverboard looks like it's going to be everything I wanted it to be:
https://twitter.com/FNBRHQ/status/1075093529054068736

The gently caress? Fortnite you bojo: everyone knows those boards don't work on water.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

codo27 posted:

Thats the thing in this game, and its frustrating sometimes. Auto weapons are just a crap shoot most of the time, but single shot guns are always dead on with the first shot. I picked a guy off with the hunting rifle who was trying to escape in plane last night. I feel like they ruined bursts too making them completely useless, I used to feel as thought they were a lot more accurate, but maybe its just me.
It's a trade off: slow shooting powerful weapons for taking the first shots, automatic rifles for covering your rear end to run away. you aren't going to be super accurate but most people hide while bullets are buzzing around them. Running away is half the fun in the game. If you see someone jumping through with balloons strapped to their back throwing dynamite endlessly that's probably me trying to get away.
And I will rock you with a burst, it's my go to if I'm trying to win.

Is anyone going to try to build a Block level?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"Ground games" looks cool.
Surprised no return of Heist.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Must be fun running through empty fields for days.
Some people prefer a longer game, it's just a different way of playing. Almost no one will agree to play any other way.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Yet another game in a long line of games that know what pallets ARE, just not what they DO.

What's this game's fastest StC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

codo27 posted:

The new Block area has the most pallets I think. Follow the road in the desert for the poles. There's also a bunch of chairs in the dining room of the club house at lazy.

Punting people off of heights to their deaths with the plane is fun. Until you get some streamer who jumps onboard and then decides two gold pump shots to the face are non fatal
My new hobby is hitting plane places fast and jumping on the nearest departing plane. Neither one of you have weapons so they either jump out or just carry you around for awhile. Sometimes they'll try to chase you around the plane mid-flight trying to pickaxe you.