Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
What is A24 and why does everyone like them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
assigned seats are the greatest invention in theater going. previously living next to a large college meant having to wait in line for an hour plus to get good seats at any new hyped release. Now i buy my ticket snag center center seats and walk in during the previews. owns. recliners whip rear end too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the deadpool trailer tickles me in all the right places. domino looks amazing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
very surprised at how sterile it looks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i would be down for a keanu romcom where the normal end of act 2 drama that pulls the burgeoning couple apart is that gangsters from keanus past have finally tracked him down, forcing him to reenter a world he thought he had put behind him long ago...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh dang. That actually looks good. And it actually looks good, considering it's a Matt Groening adjacent show.

I hope that it's as good as I think it is and stays that good for 6-10 season and then they quit (and never return).

It looks way worse than Futurama graphically, but I still dig it. "I'm elfo!" made me guffaw.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
best trailer yet im sold

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i seriously marked out for Dog Wick at the end of that trailer.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
thats arguably one of the worst trailers ever made but the rock & statham & elba carry it so whatevs

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

sheeeeeeeeeiit that looks good

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
if you're unfamiliar with the original anime just know the CG Lupin looks incredible

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Its Borba Futt and IG-Legally Distinct From

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/necrobranson/status/1015460427151675393

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the character intro videos for the witcher look much better than the trailer, there was some sweet looking poo poo in Geralts for sure

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
black widow seems like a movie that missed its window by ohhhhh 5 years or so

If this had come out during the winter soldier era id expect way more hype

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

blast0rama posted:

Add THE OLD GUARD to the pile with EXTRACTION, 6 UNDERGROUND, and SPENCER CONFIDENTIAL in the lexicon of Netflix action movies that look like a real movie, act like a real movie, but don't really feel like a real movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK-X2d0lJ_s

This is based on a comic series, which is really more about its own premise than a "plot" tbh so i'm curious as to how they will make it a 2 hour movie

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

Something about this feels really...generic? Phoned in? to me. Like I wouldn't have guessed this was Pixar if it didn't have the logo at the start.

It looks cute

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

So they have the power to travel back in time, are locked in a hopeless battle against aliens, and they use their time travel ability to...draft more soldiers from the past to toss into the meat grinder? Potentially removing them from the timeline where they may have done something in the war's present?

Am I missing something? Because this sounds like a really dumb premise for a movie.

As said above, there must be some twist, but I posit that they dont care about drafting past soldiers ruining the timeline because they are already in a timeline where humanity gets wiped out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The rock was really great in The Rundown, and I wish he had kept on that path.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

clown shoes posted:

I saw the Signs and it opened up my eyes....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-UkWWnb2g

Is this just War of the Worlds?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Wait how is he narrating !??

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Say what you will about a GI Joe origins movie, but the action looks pretty solid in the trailers. I'm gonna fucken watch it!!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deXQ7vyru3A

Written by Affleck and Damon (and Nicole Holofcener), and directed by Ridley Scott.

Not exactly the follow up to Good Will Hunting I expected from those two, but looks good.

Kylo ren is back baby!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

They know it's supposed to be a comedy, right?

Yea the vibe they are pushing with these trailers is pure nostalgia, ghostbusters is your treasured past by way of Field of Dreams. The ghostbuster movies are loving funny!!! They should be funny and irreverent but I mean most of the cast of this is like 12 year olds and they arent funny so are they going to depend on paul rudd to hard carry the humor???

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

confused posted:

I think I'd much rather see a significant tone shift like Aliens vs Alien.

I think something like this could work but I don't think the tone shift should be "we are nostalgic for the OG ghostbusters". And indeed Aliens is still "scary" even though its not quite as horror/suspense based by Alien.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
There is something to be said for actors who pick and choose and you know when they show up it is probably gonna be a good one, but I can't begrudge someone that somehow became hot and will take any project possible while the irons are in the fire.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
That looked sick AF and seems to have some sweet action set pieces and an interesting story, surprised at the ehhs!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, it's no Cats, but I'll take it.

fun fact: both west side story and cats have the same production budget for removing the casts' visible buttholes with CGI

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Spike didn't fight in the titan war. Vicious did. Though they're the same age so the same critique applies. If you assume the war lasts for a year or 2 (or Vicious takes part in it) he'd have time to get out of the war by age 20, join up with the space yakuza and pal around with Spike for 4 years rising through the ranks. Then spike runs and meets up with Jet and the show takes place 3 years later.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

Exactly. I'm saying, don't put out a teaser until you can hype people with it. This sort of thing needs a money shot.

Don't say money shot so loudly the HBO execs will hear you

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

BonoMan posted:

All of this and the fact that it's just from an age when those kind of movies were possible. I feel like pre-internet movies had a lot more leeway. I'm totally describing this wrong and can't put my finger on it, but before the internet just created instant global knowledge, the idea of a ghost hunting movie - comedy aside - could just work better. People still shared ghost stories among friends and lore building was so literally word of mouth that everything felt.... plausible is the wrong word but.... well gently caress I don't know. I shouldn't have even started typing because I'm not certain exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the movie was realistic (lol) but that these kinds of movies just worked better before everyone was a know-it-all-constantly-online-cynical-rear end in a top hat? I don't know.

edit: jesus poo poo what a horrible page snipe

what you're describing is verisimilitude. Ghostbusters achieves verisimilitude because you can believe the events in the movie occurring in the place and time. The same thing happens with modern horror/slashers, they have to contend with phones / cameras being ubiquitous and informing being able to travel incredibly quickly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
uncharted looks fun, but tom holland just isn't a very good nathan drake. I think this movie is probably going to end up ok but still disappoint by way of expectation setting in the wrong direction.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Antony Starr should be nathan drake

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Moon Knight looks good, or maybe its just Oscar isaac :smug:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Kathleen Kennedy will pay for this :argh:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Ah yes, the sinister cinco

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

They could steal the evil Fantastic Four name and go with the Frightful Five, but I’m more partial to the Filthy Five.

Spiderman: Who are you guys?
The 5: "We're the filthy five!"
Spiderman: "What..."
The 5: *they're all sticking their tongues out and making crude sex pantomimes and just being gross"
Spiderman: "...the gently caress"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

PeterCat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVOs4VSpmA

Is No Way Home going to be a Part 1 or is it a full movie?

Yea part 2 was announced its Spider-Man: Found a Way Home

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
third eye being represented by a GOOGLY eye - chefs kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

Fair enough. Maybe the MCU's just burnt me out on multiverses.

well I mean thats the thing right? There are some concepts that are really fun, like multiverses, but most commercially available movies about multiverses are going to be somewhat limited due to their corporate created nature. That doesn't stop the concept from being fun and from people wanting movies about it, so when something comes along that is more creator driven and with a fun cast and the trailer bangs, you're gonna get a lot of hype on it.

who looks at michelle yeoh in what appears to be an authentic "very asian mom" role mixed with the mindbending antics of a multiverse and goes "Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh spiderman already did this!!! boring!!" - you know its gonna have different vibes!