Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Will the world mind if I call it Tenant? That's just easier on my brain.

edit: or "The Net"

Everybody uses “tenant” when they mean “tenet” anyway so go hog wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

I read that this was going to be more of a reinterpretation of Force Majeure, but most of the shots in this look like straight remakes of those in FM. FM was one of my favourite movies of the last few years, and yeah, this looks lovely.

I had to laugh when I saw that the character played by Kristofer Hivju in the original is played by Zach Woods here, and then Kristofer Hivju went and popped up at the end of the trailer!

It does look like a sort of lame version of Force Majeure but Zach Woods is great and making it a Valentine's Day release is inspired. I might check it out.

Edit: The Jesus movie looks fake. I'm not convinced that's a real movie

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 31, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Eh, this looks like the hacky version of what Bong is doing with his movies

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Having seen it as well as all of bongs stuff I think it's distinct enough not to feel like any sort of ripoff. You'll be seeing an awful lot of class warfare movies after the success of Parasite but Bong was neither the first nor the last to explore that theme.

Well you’ve actually seen it so I’ll defer to you. I’ll just clarify that I’m not just referring to the apparent theme but the way the theme is being deployed through overt scifi metaphor. In the trailer it comes off as kinda hacky and hamhanded. Bong’s Snowpiercer could have been that way too but he’s such a master of juggling tones that it’s incredibly successful. The trailer does not come across like it has that sort of deft touch, but perhaps it does in the film.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I enjoyed Funny People and I sorta like Apatow's earnestly sentimental style :shrug:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

There’s nothing inherently wrong with improv film or tv. There’s not even anything wrong with screening jokes. Tons of scripted movies need screenings to figure out what works and doesn’t work too.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Imo Apatows movies generally work because he has a strong story framework to start with, then lets performers improvise within scenes. Yeah if you come to set with literally nothing and just let the actors riff that would probably be bad but I don’t think anyone in mainstream entertainment except maybe Larry David does things entirely improvised. Anyway, they’re comedies, they’re supposed to be funny, and sometimes you get funnier jokes through improv than behind a keyboard.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It's basically Groundhog Day but with Andy Samberg, but I'm in anyway. The slight twist is that there are two people stuck in the situation together I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpBLtXduh_k

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The real question is, what are the chances that they directly name drop Groundhog Day in the movie as a way to cutely address that it’s the exact same premise? I’d say about 70%

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm hoping that next year, when Covid is hopefully under control, and studios have no movies to release, they'll re-release some of these movies (like Bond) in theaters. It would seem to make sense since new production has been held up all year and there are a bunch of people who aren't going to theaters until poo poo is safe, as a way to double dip on the movies they released during Covid. But I don't really know poo poo about how studios think.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It looks like a superhero power fantasy for boomer dads. I love Odenkirk but I'll pass.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Plot wise maybe but tonally not at all.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

E: whoops nm was posted already

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m gonna watch it up until Tig dies then turn it off

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m assuming based on her general look in the trailer that she’ll be the classic “heroically blows themselves up to save everyone else” character

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

kiimo posted:

It's like an all you can eat but with only deserts and you're full and sick but sure I'll try that lemon tart because people won't shut up about it and it will taste good I'm sure but also I may vomit

Yep, bring it the gently caress on. I'm eating the whole dessert cart tonight baby

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Being bothered by crowd noise during populist entertainment like that strikes me as very joyless and stuffy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It's pretty easy to avoid if it bothers you that much, just wait a couple weeks to watch it in theaters or watch it at home.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Trailer for Edgar Wright's rock doc on Sparks. I know literally nothing about the band but this seems fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUsIYESOpM

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Isn't Soho more of an Argento/Roeg kind of homage? Didn't feel super Lynch-y to me. I know Edgar Wright loves giallo and has said Don't Look Now is an inspiration for this.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Matt Smith looks creepy as gently caress and everyone looks insanely good in the trailer too

e: it's good that Wright got a female co-writer for this, as much as I love him his movies tend to be sausage fests with underwritten or absent female characters.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Chris Pratt keeps trying to do the straightforward action hero thing and nobody is buying it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

Near as I can tell quite literally everyone on the planet but Chris Pratt is mad he stopped being fat and funny and it’s pretty disappointing

Well yeah, he's not really good at anything else

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Yep. It helps that Bautista has great taste when it comes to projects, and Johnson has godawful taste.

I dunno, I watched the first 20 minutes of Stuber

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

he stopped emoting on screen, as far as i can tell

Um, you seem to have missed his line reading of "Tell the truth" in the film Concussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79i9szAR6g

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'll eat my hat* if there isn't some kind of tease for Miles Morales at some point, probably mid-credits

*Definition of hat subject to change

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think it'll be more concrete, I think Sony/Marvel are dying to get a live action Miles established and the multiverse is a perfect way to do that. They'll probably retcon donglover being his uncle since i bet he doesn't want to do these movies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I really wish we could just get a few Spidey movies that are a bit more ground level and character focused like the Raimi ones without so many MCU tie ins, but I think that ship has probably sailed. The first two Holland movies were so closely tied to Iron Man and didn’t really let the character breathe on his own. And I’m even a person who really enjoys the whole MCU thing, but Spidey is my favorite and it’s a bit of a drag to now have him bogged down with a bunch of multiverse nonsense. Leave the multiverse to dr strange and scarlet witch or whatever and leave Spidey out of it, at least until the big team up movie.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The Amazing movies were terrible and it’s best if we just forget they exist

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Give Bond to someone like Edgar Wright and make it not try to compete with stuff like M:I, rather have it be campy, stylish, breezy fun. Put someone super young and not white in the role like John Boyega.

e: I realize this would be the commercial death of the franchise but I'm just saying what I want to see lol

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Fast and Furious is a better spy franchise than Bond.

it's certainly similar in that only about 25% of the franchise is any good

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Crazy that he also directed Green Lantern

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The first Matrix is still one of the all time best action movies. The Matrix sequels are interesting failures, at least, and I like the work the Wachowskis have done since, so I'm fully hyped.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

A little disappointed that there's no Hugo Weaving

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jupiter Ascending would have been great if everyone was on the same level as Eddie Redmayne. Channing Tatum was horribly miscast in that.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah the burly brawl always looked like poo poo

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And yes I will see Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 the day they come out

I will not

kiimo posted:

Yeah

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

BonoMan posted:

It actually does fit to the *end* of the last Matrix where he's sitting with the Oracle and the "new" Matrix is much brighter and colorful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRqgI1dbTQ&t=79s

edit; meaning I think most of what we're seeing is in the new peaceful matrix and not necessarily that they abandoned the style

Yeah this was my initial thought too. The opening trailer shot looks extremely similar to the park scene from Revolutions.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I like that Ansel only gets three words in the trailer. Almost feels like they're trying to hide him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I want an explanation for this, but I'm also worried I'd find it insufferable.

You were right