Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Are the Sony MOD titles like Warner Archive, or am I just buying a burned disc? I want to pick up The Squeeze and Rubin & Ed, but I'm not really feeling spending $23 each if it's the equivalent of a downloaded HD rip.

I bought Rubin & Ed and I can confirm it's a pressed disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

This dude knows what's up.

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I like snap cases.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Your kind will be the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes. <:mad:>

I think they look snazzy when they're in good shape! I wish it wasn't so easy to beat them up but I've always preferred a nice cardboard box to plastic.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Were they, apart from the full-screen/wide-screen versions? Goodfellas is the only one I'm familiar with where it worked like a laserdisc.

The first versions of Seven, Ben-Hur, and Amadeus were like that for sure too.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Talking about weird early DVDs, I had a copy of The Road Warrior, that when you selected "Scene Select", it would only give you the option of jumping to every third scene. The menu screen was also just a generic Warner Brothers logo.

I remember a lot of the early budget Warner Bros discs had that generic menu. I think some of the early discs from Republic Pictures like Freeway and Highlander had generic menus too. They had those same brown boxes with WIDESCREEN written vertically and were all "THX Mastered." I'm pretty sure they were just laserdiscs transferred to DVD though, because I remember Highlander having a photo slideshow that would just zip by at a million miles an hour when the frame-by-frame function from a laserdisc seemed like the intended purpose there. Those early days were super weird.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Do any of you know why the second volume of the Betty Boop Essentials Collection is impossible to find right now? The others are easily available and it's going to drive me nuts to just have 1, 3, and 4.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Blu- Ray or DVD? 'cause Amazon has the DVD for 18.00

Blu-ray. It seems to be out of stock on every site I've looked. It's weird. Hopefully it's just a weird thing at this point in time.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Davros1 posted:

https://olivefilms.com/product/betty-boop-essential-collection-vol-2/

Was able to select and add the Blu-Ray version to the cart and calculate shipping. I didn't go further than that though. Good luck!

Cool, thanks! Don't know how I missed their site!

EDIT: Order went through, we'll see if it ever shows up!

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 25, 2020

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Olive Films seems to be barely running as a company. I think in all of 2020, their only releases were Olive Signature editions of Hair and Rio Grande. The year before, I think it was only 2-3 regular discs plus OS editions of The Bells of St. Mary's and A Bucket of Blood. I ordered a copy of Bells from Amazon back in November and it's giving me a Jan 20 delivery date.

On that note, the Boop Blu-rays are generally very good, but pretty much minimal effort. No digital cleanup and no supplements. Also zero attempt to fix the TV distributor logos and titles, the majority of which could be taken from collector's prints. Not to mention even with all four volumes, that's only 49 cartoons out of around 120 - not to mention that Paramount also owns the rest of the Fleischer cartoons other than Popeye and Superman.

Yeah, I gotta say I haven't been super impressed with the Olive Films discs I've received. I love the Boop cartoons but it's a bit of a letdown to not get a complete set of them. The first thing I bought from Olive was The Undesirable, the early silent film by Michael Curtiz and all of the intertitles have the names changed from Hungarian ones to very American ones like Nick & Betty. I don't know whose decision that was to make but I have a feeling that anyone watching a simple silent melodrama can handle some Hungarian names in a very Hungarian movie. Just a baffling decision.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

No decision was made, the film survived as an American print, so they kept it as-is rather than translating it. Similar thing with Waxworks where the domestic version has completely vanished.

They're sort of like Twilight Time in that if they get a quality master, the disc will be great. If not, meh. Their Blu-rays of Roger Corman's The Trip and John Boorman's Hope and Glory are from stunning full restorations. The Signature line is excellent, usually from new 4K restorations or transfers. Johnny Guitar, Letter from an Unknown Woman, High Noon, and The Quiet Man especially.

Huh! I must've misremembered something I read about The Undesirable. That's my bad, thank you for correcting me there. I will have to look into their Signature line one of these days. Maybe I'll get a better impression of the company. Probably a good excuse to finally watch Johnny Guitar.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Gripweed posted:

The Ten came out in 2011, how is it only available on DVD and VHS

There's a Region B version for sale on Amazon. There's also an HD-DVD!

EDIT: I just bought the HD-DVD though, so sorry if you wanted that.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 6, 2021

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Saloon doors or bust.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I found these at the thrift store I volunteer at and couldn't pass them up. I know they're worthless and can't be played at all but I had never seen them before. I might try to clean up the cases and hang them up on the wall next to the couple of CED Videodiscs I've found.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

It really is too bad that no one has cracked the DRM on these old DIVX discs. They're edited to 1.33:1 and are in SD with late 90s encodings, so they're probably one of the worst ways to watch a movie but I'm still curious to see what they looked and sounded like. I can't imagine being a salesman trying to sell these discs back in the day either. You just know a good portion of people bought them without realizing they were "rentals."

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I've purchased thousands of DVDs and Blu-rays from thrift stores over the last couple of years and it is astounding how few have actually been bad. The ones that I've had the most problems with are Warner Bros HD-DVDs. There was some massive manufacturing error with those at one point so it's a coin-flip if they work.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

For a 100th Anniversary box set, it seems like they could've included at least one silent film to represent the earliest years. They just put out that fantastic Our Dancing Daughter blu-ray in the Warner Archive collection, so it's not like they don't have some stuff remastered and scanned for a decent release.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 10, 2023

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

The Haunting isn't a great film but drat does it look good.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I picked up that Paramount Presents blu-ray of The Haunting a while back and besides the sets being super cool, the SOUND was phenomenal. I have to imagine the 4K release will sound as good.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I think that's applicable to every Renny Harlin film. I haven't seen a single one that is good, but I've loved and enjoyed every one I've watched. I even think Cutthroat Island is fun.

The Long Kiss Goodnight is legit great.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Drop Dead Fred wasn't even good when I was a kid!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

The only thing that's really held up from my childhood is The Adventures of Pete & Pete. I think I might like it even more as an adult.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Sniep posted:

Troma team haul showed up. I had no idea there was such an extensive library of these lol

That's a good haul. I'm pretty fond of both Gutboy and Waitress! so I'm glad to see someone else snag copies. Waitress! isn't a great movie but I can't help but enjoy Kaufman's stupid lowest of the low cartoon jokes.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Say what you will about it but that opening scene when Craig is bashing that thing on his wrist with a rock kicks rear end.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

PinkoBastard posted:

There are THREE of these??? Lol. The first has some neat effects but I don’t need to watch it again.

Hell, there's a fourth one called Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre. I haven't seen that one in like twenty years and the only thing I remember about it is like a fetus being bayonetted by a Japanese soldier.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/american-gaffiti-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray/6544990.p?skuId=6544990

Oh, this is cool. Looks like American Graffiti is getting a 4K UHD steelbook through Best Buy that looks pretty good! Funny that they misspelled the name on the website. I have the Special Edition Blu-Ray already but it looks like that'll be included so I might as well upgrade. Saw this movie earlier this year and it made a huge impression on me.

That movie is one of the greatest "What Ifs?" in film. George Lucas could've done so many interesting things if Star Wars hadn't destroyed everything around it. American Graffiti is probably the best movie he made.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Heroes Season 1 is best watched on HD-DVD anyway.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

Heroes on HD DVD feels like a cursed artifact.

Yeah, it rules. I've got an open one too that I ripped but I have no idea where it's at.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

pwn posted:

I really want that but then i remember that I don't have an HD-DVD player and i have had it on DVD for 17 years and have watched it once.

Get the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive. It works on any Windows machine and they're pretty cheap.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

I have an internal HDDVD/Bluray drive and playback software is a problem in 2023 last I checked.

Ah, that may be the case. I'll admit that I haven't played a disc directly in a while, I just rip all my discs. I swear I played one on VLC at some point though but maybe I'm wrong.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

wa27 posted:

Do hd-dvds suffer from accelerated disc rot or something? Last time I tried to watch (a brand new) disc, it was skipping throughout the movie.

It's mainly the Warner Bros discs. Some of their standard DVDs from the time had a manufacturing error too and those ones are failing now too. I've never had a problem with HD-DVDs from the other major studios but if I find a WB disc at a thrift store, I never expect it to work.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

edogawa rando posted:

Now get the Abyss DC 4K out FFS.

Also, seeing a lot of Freeway II mentions. I remember watching it in high school and thinking it was utter arse. Am I misremembering?

Freeway 1 is good. Freeway 2 is unwatchable trash, in the bad way.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Big Mac posted:

Finally biting the bullet and getting into hard copies after being so jerked around by different streaming services and rising prices. I've been trolling ebay and flea markets, and SA-Mart, but does anyone have other tips for building up a critical mass of media?
I thankfully have the benefit of living in Portand and being a supporter of the local non-profit video rental place, so it's not critical for me to get everything I want to watch before I can watch it.

If you're going the used route, check thrift stores regularly. It's all a numbers game. Most of the time they'll have nothing great but make a regular habit of it (like weekly while you're grocery shopping or something), you'll start finding more and more decent stuff.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

and dont feel like you need to buy EVERYTHING, you'll go insane

What if it's a good deal? Then you're required to buy it, I think. It'd be irresponsible not to!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Purging is for quitters. A real collector dies when their massive collection collapses on top of them, trapping them and allowing no one to hear their screams.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Today though, I'd be torn on a lot of those decisions because maybe there's a bargain bin blu ray that's 10 years old, but do I want to settle for a lesser blu ray transfer when there's a nice 4k version that a small boutique label put out for like $30 or $40? Is Movie X important enough to me that I want to spend twice as much to own the super special collectors edition UHD when there's a regular blu available for $8? These are tough decisions that just didn't exist back when I started.

For me, this kind of stuff seems really important before I start watching a movie but then I stop caring within five minutes of starting the movie (unless it's a really bad transfer like Prizzi's Honor). I learned a long time ago that all of that fancy collections edition stuff doesn't make me happy either so I'll stick with regular editions. Makes it a lot easier.

zer0spunk posted:

Do you want me to become a binder person?? This is how you get binder people.

Binder people belong in the trash. Absolutely disgusting! If it's a consolation, I have a ton of piles that'll trap me some day. I'm a sucker for 50 cent thrift store blu-rays.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Big Mac posted:

Oh and what the hell does everyone do to store an ever-growing number of movies?? I've been eyeing IKEA Billy shelves but I don't know where I'd put them in my place...

Cheap shelves that are attached to rails drilled into my wall.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I'll still buy DVDs if they're super cheap (like a buck or less) at a thrift store and it looks interesting.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

If there is a noticible quality jump in the scan used then I'll put the BD in my sell pile and replace it with the UHD, but for stuff that's "Mastered in 4K" and only has a BD, I'm good with staying with that (the Shout Factory BD of Glengarry Glen Ross looks FANTASTIC).

Now the real question for this thread: What if you want to physically own something but everything single official release of it looks like dogshit? [I'm looking at you DBZ]

Clara Bow's It from 1927. All that's out there are the OOP Kino DVD that is getting more expensive than I want to pay and some sort of low quality PD company release.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Are these different transfers from the previous releases or just new packaging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

Kino is very much the boomer bait boutique and I salute them for that.

Yeah, they put out the best stuff.