Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This season so far is definitely on par with S1-4 for me, been really enjoying the return to regular spy poo poo and I like that they killed off a lot of the stuff they ran into the ground over the years. Really excited to see how this season is overall, which is the first time I can say that about this show in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I did it on the site and it was HD for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Nah. Cyril certainly has developed some competence at the spy game and a bit of a backbone.

He already had competence, the episode in the jungle with the drug lord showed that. Being around Archer kept him down since he wasn't so great at the "shooting stuff" thing but he was good at preparing for a mission and then using the knowledge to actually infiltrate whatever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

Yay, the KGB is back! I always liked the modern-day cold war setting and was sad that they abandoned it in later seasons.

This episode was honestly season 1-3 quality for me; lot's of solid jokes. Cyril nodding in the background when they talked about Barry's amazing penis was a great detail.

It really feels like they have their old enthusiasm back. Part of me is hoping they get renewed for more seasons like this one, part of me is hoping they just end it this year so it can go out on a high note. I hadn’t really been following this show as it was airing since midway into S5, so I’m delighted to be into it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Best thing was Barry absolutely being on their side and not double crossing them.

It worked with Barry constantly being double crossed but understanding that’s just how it works, and he’s been hosed over by his parents as much as Archer has.

This series actually is meaningful for me- I had started a Krav Maga org in college in 2008 and it’s references in S1 actually got people to join.

E:”the Dane Cook of martial arts?”

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That was easily a top-10 episode for the whole series. :drat: I remain thoroughly impressed by this season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

The coma seasons were the weakest of the series IMO

Part of the issue is that so much of those seasons had to set up the world and that took up a lot of time.

The coma series would have been the weakest if season 5 wasn’t a thing.

If it was just season 8 I would have really liked it, but three seasons was just too much and it made the fact Reed was incredibly burnt out super apparent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even the seasons I don’t like often have good ideas, and there’s moments that work (Season 5 definitely went out on a good note) but generally they get dragged down by an overemphasis on something that’s not really working (Pam and cocaine) that gets overused. I think a big part of it is that Reed doesn’t usually work on a project for that long and his interest waned big time.

I was always surprised people were so down on S4, that’s one of my favorite seasons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hmmm. On the one hand, this season has been really good. On the other hand, I’d kind of like the show to go out on a high note instead of running poo poo into the ground again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've been liking this season, and I'm glad to get more, that's my hot take.

Like I said, it’s a great season and if they can keep it up I’d be delighted, I’m just wary of them getting all burnt out and repetitive again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

It's more likely just the new blood in the writer's room. Reed has always been heavy on the callbacks but most of his shows only ran a couple seasons.

I still wish Frisky Dingo had gotten a third season. But even the two seasons of that run less than two hours, so the callbacks don’t have time to get stale.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Red Oktober posted:

Archer is full of FD references. Boosh, loose cannon, "what the hell, drat guy!", Fat Mike, 'master coconut' - and probably loads more I can't think of right. now.

Cody 2 is on the tontine board Cheryl makes in the WWI veterans episode. I just noticed that like two weeks ago. That episode is almost ten years old and I’ve seen it a shitmillion times, I didn’t think there was anything new to notice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Fuuuuck that’s a bummer. She was awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

They'll probably rearrange her dialogue in post-production to give her a proper sendoff.

I wonder if they had some contingency dialogue for something like this. I would think with an animated show it would make sense to have something in the can for your high risk talent (old as hell, smack habit, romantically involved with Courtney Love, that kind of thing)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

Honestly while the last season was really good by the end, I don't see any point in keeping it going without Mallory. That's a massive hole to fill. It was a mistake to keep Sealab going after Harry Goz died, and it would be the same kind of mistake here.

:same:

Her stuff for S12 is already recorded, at least. I think a two hour or three episode send off for the show after that would be good, but keeping it actually running without Mallory would be a mistake. She’s such a huge part of the cast and their relationships that you could do like one good arc about her absence and them moving on, but you have a major risk of it losing its way long term.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Who’s the guy on the bottom left? Looks familiar but I can’t place it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

I want to hit Robert with a pan and shove him off the back of a boat.

:same: and I can’t tell if it’s because the character is crappy or because Stephen Tobolowsky plays that kind of guy perfectly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

Well I guess I'm assuming the advertising wouldn't lean on his specific name as much as "From the creator of Archer," etc. Just like how Archer was "the new show from the guy who made Sealab."

Frisky Dingo. :colbert:

I got into archer specifically because of frisky dingo and hearing that it had a Krav Maga joke in the first episode.

God drat frisky dingo was great.

I was watching S12 today and Jessica Walter seriously sounded rough compared to earlier seasons but she was still definitely bringing the effort. God drat she was some of the best casting ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LividLiquid posted:

Voiceover work can be done from home really easily these days, so I doubt it has to do with time.

I don’t think it’s time as much as effort, a big reason the show dipped in quality for so long is because Reed didn’t want to anymore and it was obvious. He had never done anything past what, 4 seasons prior to Archer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m glad it got back to some highs before it went out but I’m kind of bummed to see the show go. I’ve been watching it since S1 when I was fuckin’ 20 and wanted to see what all the new people in my college Krav Maga club were talking about. As soon as I saw it was from the Frisky Dingo guy I was all in.

Perfect finale though, I don’t think they could have ended it better.