Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/1005091631102644224

The big announcement seems to be they removed the boob jiggle and characters can be bruised.

Policenaut posted:

I remember when they tried to pitch "let's make DoA not sexy" with 5 and the fans revolted, so I'm eager to see if Tecmo can stick to their guns this time.

But, but, how will they milk the fans with multiple season passes worth of sexy costumes as DLC?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xad posted:

I hope to god that MWC tweet is not a joke...

It'd be breaking with last year where they announced no new games at all.

God that was a hell of a thing. I hope they repeat it this year :munch:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LoseHound posted:

I thought it was one of Karin or Chun Li's bonus outfits, I didn't know it was a default. I guess I somehow forgot about the rear end-slapping sexy lady.

Exactly. "Heavy Rain but good" is an exceedingly tall order. David Cage loves high concept ideas and feeeeeelings and mashes it with videogamey bombast. Fahrenheit takes the opening of a neat thriller and runs with it until the story devolves into nonsense. Heavy Rain is muddled with strange scenes that get dropped or unnecessary/too-long action sequences because gameplay. Beyond is a biopic about a woman who lived her life as a government lab experiment and then became a CIA agent shooting things and then also wandered around ON THE RUN and oh I guess the afterlife is exploding.

Remember Me and Life Is Strange have similar faults in that they have big sounding ideas that putter in execution or go in dumb gamey directions. I have a good amount of fondness for all these games, but so far Twin Mirror seems to focus on the worst bits.

Remember Me's problem is only the first act and ending were actually written in any detail, and the rest of the game is just mumbling along to try and bridge the two.

The far-too-common electrified enemies were also tedious as hell mid/late-game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I know it's unpopular but I wish Rockstar would announce a pro patch for GTA V.

Personally I want a VR option for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If it's good it's worth it. If not, ehhh...

If you want a good Duke Nukem game, just wait for Ion Maiden to come out.

Or at least a Duke Nukem game made by anyone but Gearbox.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I've never understood why Sony so consistently has their conference after everyone else but it sure does allow them to dunk on MS a lot

I assumed that was precisely why they go after everyone else. The only reason they probably still go before Nintendo is because, in a good year, Nintendo can create a lot of noise that will stick for days after their conference for just a few titles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codenameFANGIO posted:

Ion Maiden is a really good name for a video game

It's one of those names that you know someone is smug about thinking of. And quite frankly it's justified.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorGonzo posted:

anthem will be the last bioware game ever

Well it's an MMO, so... yeah pretty much. There is no safe exit strategy from that kind of slow death.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Anyone going into Microsoft this year expecting some big MS Studio single player experiences might be out of luck as they're saying it's difficult to make single player AAA games with no long term service plan. :sigh:

I'm reminded now that Crackdown 3 was announced four years ago.

What they mean is "Why aren't they all playing Halo 5?! :qq:".

They are gonna nickel-and-dime the poo poo out of Crackdown 3, because it's the only card in their hand, and wonder why nobody buys it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anthem is going to be a loving trainwreck. They're still showing pre-renders and concept art instead of actual gameplay for something that's supposed to be out inside 8-10 months. The class demo is the same basic map from the original showcase, and it's hilariously brief and cherry-picked.

I also love the low-key "we can change the lore any time we like because THE ANTHEM CHANGES EVERYTHING AT RANDOM".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dreadwroth posted:

Anthem looks like they stole the suit designs from Section 8 and shoved it all into a Monster Hunter/Destiny mashup.

It's War Machine, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, and Rescue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah totally, it might be good maybe? Im liking that you can just jetpack around at will, even in combat and the maps look big maybe?
Aside from the obvious lootbox infestation it will have Im a bit optimistic it will be somehow fun?

It's less than a year out from release, not to mention the last e3 before release, and they're still running the same concept demo and pre-rendered footage for a long-term-service game. That means they haven't got poo poo to show and they're hoping nobody notices.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

That's literally the plot of Destiny and the enemy forces they've shown you fighting in it are carbon copies of two different forces from Destiny as well.

But-but-but, things can change because the Anthem of Creation can spontaneously remake anyting and everything When we desperately fire the writers and get new ones to try and un-gently caress the mess we made AT ANY TIME!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doorknob Slobber posted:

look man all it takes is flying and swimming and its good to go

All they actually have done is the basic gameplay working, by the looks of it. And clearly not at all derived from ME:Andromeda's gameplay code with different art assets laid over it. The only worldbuilding they've got finished is a bit of a jungle region. If they had anything close to done, they'd be going "look at us roaming this way or deciding to stop and not-at-all-scripted turn and jump into this cave instead". Leading with "here are brief snippets of this pre-recorded very linear mission" does not look good for an open-world game.

Say what you will about stuff like Microsoft showing off games with professional gamers playing a sick-hot round of the new new Battlefield/Halo/CoD, but it is still actual random gameplay on-display where the code build has to stand for itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fulchrum posted:

The beta should be on now. That's the problem.

The last e3 before release is the "pens down, show you work" moment for most games, because they need to build hype for launch.

Seedge posted:

When developers have more ready, they show more. There'll be a beta at some point anyway.

The last year of a game at Anthem's scale should be closed/open beta and code-cleanup time, not coding the game and building art assets. Now is exactly when they should be showing more to build hype, not passing off concept art and saying "it'll be this".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monolith. posted:

Cautiously optimistic. At least there's finally some mostly non scripted gameplay.

So you missed all the cuts between sections of the mission then?

psyman posted:

The visual style of Anthem is really a big turn off for me, I think a lo-fi industrial robot design would be more engaging than the oversized mechanical superheros.

This is the kind of mech/exosuit design I had in mind, from an art book series of battlescapes called World War Robot:

Have you played Nier Automata? Because if not, you really should.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Instead of Vanquish I would pay good money for a spiritual sequel to Anarchy Reigns but instead of a multiplayer brawler its a single player beat em up with literally every Platinum character ever.

So...you mean a MadWorld sequel then? :v:

Sakurazuka posted:

Doesn't help that it looks exactly like Origin so we're probably back in yearly title land

For what it's worth, you can kinda see how this one came round so soon; Origins has more than a few Greek characters and settlements, so it's not like they don't have art assets ready to go already. I do agree that venturing back into yearly title land is a bad, bad, idea though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I notice he said "third party titles", and not "exclusives". You know, the things that actually sells consoles. :munch:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorGonzo posted:

so forza and halo for microsoft?

please dont gently caress around with cyberpunk 2077

cd Projekt Red is also GoG.com, so there's not much fear of that.

Sinteres posted:

They already did that.

I actually quite liked that they also revealed "The Father of Understanding" with that as well, and it was a good choice of a character too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

eonwe posted:

if Microsoft really wanted to impress me they'd partner with Valve and do a thing with PC gaming

but they won't

They could actually score some legit points if they'd do that for the PC versions of their XBone games instead of using the Windows store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Super No Vacancy posted:

https://twitter.com/ID_Xbox/status/1005624539009540096

big fan of the id@xbox director in the replies desperately trying to stop people from getting their hopes up

What do you think the odds are of them setting up a half-pipe onstage, or at least having real skaters performing sick tricks yo through the auditorium?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a.lo posted:

it's called skate 1

Sk4te.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DalaranJ posted:

Skate One X

Is it set in Boston?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Here comes the madne-IS THAT A DREAMCAST?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
LETS PARTYYYYYY!! :peanut:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HUH... :magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

Devolver is the greatest thing E3 has ever showcased.

I dunno, it's kinda missing something without the 24-hour games-free livestream of insanity.

Also I just caught up on Microsoft's livestream and it seems like their new cunning strategy is "if WE show the multi-platform titles first, people will think they're exclusives! :pseudo:".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

If it had been exclusive in any capacity it would have.

Instead they're going up against Sony who will assuredly end their conference with an actual exclusive. I'm hedging The Last of Us 2 but they could surprise again.

They're betting on looking impressive by showing the multiplatform titles before Sony can, but they're just not taking into account that Sony's going to roll over them, again, with a handful of actual good exclusives that will drag the multi-platform game purchases away from Xbox anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Every studio they bought just shipped a game. (4 out of five of them on xbox exclusively already to giant apathy and bullshit engagement stats)

3 of the five are still supporting their game long term and wont start anything right away.

it will be 2021-2022 before any of these (except the forza factory) ship a game

That's not counting any of those studios getting "rebranded", losing all their talent, or being dismantled outright because of internal mismanagement (eg; Scalebound).

No Mods No Masters posted:

Insofar as exclusives encourage some actual competition and can result in good games I think they're good. Professional console warrior here, ♪ lock me up and throw away the key ♪

The simple hard truth is that exclusives dictate which console will actually sell to general consumers. If they both have good exclusives, both will sell in decent quantities. The XBOne does not, so the PS4 just walks away with most multi-platform title purchases as well as exclusives.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 11, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

How can you tell???

But seriously it looked like nuke codes just let you blow up predetermined areas so theyre they dullest nukes since Call of Duty’s I win now

Looks like it's targeting landmarks, which is pretty reasonable. There's almost guaranteed to be some players setting up their homes around a few of them out of convenience.

Pikavangelist posted:

I guess that's one way to make sure nothing that happens in Fallout 76 has any impact on the broader Fallout timeline.

I'm actually feeling better about Fallout 76 because of this after seeing the livestream. It doesn't out-rule future single-player Fallout games, and they're just trying to sell it as a fun side-game rather than a reboot of the timeline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So like wtf are there even quests in the new Fallout like what the hell do you even do

It has quests, but the general gist they want is that instead of random raiders you're gonna run into other players and their settlements.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Elder Scrolls: Blades looks like the kind of game you'd see in the background of a cheap TV show that could only license a console as a prop and not a game for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

I thought Sony announced they were primarily doing deep dives on Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Last of Us Part II? There are gonna be other announcements, but I suspect the main points of attention have already been announced.

Granted, finding out what in the hell Death Stranding even is is a pretty big deal.

You're missing the point. Think of this way;

I am going to buy a console. Do I buy the one that has just the multi-platform titles that Xbox showcased, or do I buy the one with those titles and Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and Last of Us Part II?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

TNC had a very odd ending, I agree. Like they were going to sequel bait but then the ‘sequel’ is just you finishing the Nazi Commander side missions? The game just kind of ended abruptly IMO.

It just flat-out drops a major story arc too, because the god-key never gets even close to resolved. It just goes on Set's desk and he spends the rest of the game going "what the gently caress is this thing?..."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

They really setup the game to end on a more proper boss fight. I was fully expecting the return of Mecha-Hitler.

Seriously you can't loving tease Hitler like that, and then not let you kill Hitler. Even just a "goddamn, this guy is loving sad" 'mercy'-kill would do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s still a super fun FPS with some great characters, and I don’t regret a single dime of the $60 I spent on it at launch, so it’s strange to see people trying to claim that it’s an outright bad game or, crazily enough, the worst game in the series.

It's possible to like a game but have criticism about it, which is what we're doing. I'd definitely say it's a relatively worse whole experience than The New Order, just because TNO told a complete story with an actual (and satisfying) ending. It's still a very well-made and fun FPS game though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maybe don't spoil the big mid-game twist for people who haven't played yet? :ssh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i literally do not give a single gently caress about halo 5 for this to even matter

Even if it happened, it'd just be going to the Windows store. You know, that grand bastion of PC gaming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Grappling and wallrunning... just like Tomb Raider Legends had over ten years ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's how I've felt about the Tomb Raider reboot too. I want more tomb raiding, puzzle, and survival stuff and less "isn't Lara such a brutal killer" stuff

But, but, you can tell she's getting close to BECOMING THE TOMB RAIDER though, because she's got the gray sleeveless tunic she wore in the original 90's Tomb Raider games.

• Locked thread