Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Austin Hooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Malcolm Mitchell :negative:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo why doesn't he blink.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sataere posted:

It's weird, because I felt like we were watching two different film sessions. His comparison to Le'Veon Bell is off. Mixon is like Bell in slow motion. What makes Bell who he is isn't his patience, it's his acceleration. Plenty of guys are patient runners.

I agree. Mixon can be good but putting a hand on a guard isn't what makes LevBell special.

Plugging The LevBell Hop because Bell is dope to watch.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

AB84 makin me shout at my computer over here.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1028479398423482368

https://twitter.com/receiverfactory/status/1024987289565491201

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1024857369866653701

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I should learn Python. Excel is starting to reach its limits for BeerSheets.

You wouldn't regret it.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dynasty radar: Seahawks just extended Tyler Lockett for 3 years. Deal has $20 million guaranteed and with incentives tops out at ~$12.5 mil per year. Part of that value is his ability to take returns on special team but it's a big contract for team in the middle of overhauling their defense that's not known for being too pass-happy.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Substandard posted:

The most fun part of the FF year is the week 1 mad dash to get whatever dude was drafted in 8% of leagues and then has 30 points in the opening game.

I already have Gillislee. Honestly why wait.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamlevitan/status/1038812486022164480

lol

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Other notable outs:
- Sony Michel and Will Fuller out for the Pats game.
- Parker indeed out with the finger injury for the dolphins. Starting Kenny Stills in a league for shits and giggles. Gonna want to watch Mike Gesicki here. Kalen Ballage a healthy scratch.
- Marlon Mack out with injury.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Also here's a fun game. FantasyPros consensus projections has Drew Brees throwing 37 passes today. Distribute 37 targets among the following players (Cam Meredith is inactive):
- Michael Thomas
- Ted Ginn
- Ben Watson
- Alvin Kamara
- Some combination of Josh Hill, Dan Arnold, Austin Carr, Tommylee Lewis, Tre'Quan Smith, Mike Gillislee (note: Gilly has caught 16 passes total since 2013).

edit: wait Jonathan Williams is on NO again?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I know its early but I'm hoping the guy in my league is feeling like selling low on Watson after this terrible start. Yikes.

Pats D is for real this year (maybe) and Texans starting tackle was just carted off the field. Not the most favorable circumstances for Watson at the moment.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Also here's a fun game. FantasyPros consensus projections has Drew Brees throwing 37 passes today. Distribute 37 targets among the following players (Cam Meredith is inactive):
- Michael Thomas
- Ted Ginn
- Ben Watson
- Alvin Kamara
- Some combination of Josh Hill, Dan Arnold, Austin Carr, Tommylee Lewis, Tre'Quan Smith, Mike Gillislee (note: Gilly has caught 16 passes total since 2013).

edit: wait Jonathan Williams is on NO again?

Answer: Thomas and Kamara combine for 25 catches on 29 targets.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/1038942891396091904

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/TJHernandez/status/1039006067777142784

https://twitter.com/TJHernandez/status/1039006285318905856

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 10, 2018

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Golladay with the best open field tackle of the week. Somewhere that strip and fumble recovery won somebody the game last night.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Football Outsiders with a great recap of the most exciting rookie of 2018

quote:

Michael Dickson grew up in Sydney, Australia, playing soccer and Aussie rules football. At 19 he started training for American football. He ended up playing for the Texas Longhorns, and he dominated, twice leading the Big 12 in punting average. As a junior, Dickson was a consensus All-American winning the Ray Guy award as the nation's top punter. He was the MVP of Texas' 33-16 win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. He averaged 41.1 yards per kick that day, which was actually his worst average of the year. However, ten of his 11 punts left Missouri pinned inside their own 15, and four times inside their five. The Tigers weren't able to return even one of them.

Dickson skipped his senior season to declare for the NFL draft, which turned out to be a wise move -- Seattle actually traded up to select him in the fifth round. Even in preseason Dickson looked like one of best punters in the league, doing things nobody else could do. In Minnesota, he had two punts last night that went 55-plus yards and pinned the opponent inside the 5. Nobody did that in one NFL game in all of 2017. There were only 25 punts like that in the entire season; no one player had more than three.

On Sunday, Dickson made regular season debut in Denver. He punted six times. The results of those punts:

From the Seattle 20, Dickson's punt traveled 60 yards to the Denver 20. Adam Jones returned the punt for 24 yards, but the return was wiped out by penalty and the ball was spotted at the Denver 10.
From the Seattle 39, Dickson's punt went 59 yards and was downed at the Denver 2.
Dickson's third punt was his worst. From his own 26, his punt only traveled 46 yards, and Jones returned it for 9.
From his own 25, Dickson's punt went 69 yards and went out of bounds at the 6.
From the Seattle 30, Dickson punted 57 yards and the ball went out of bounds at the 13.
Finally, from his own 18, Dickson's punt went 63 yards and was downed at the Denver 19.
On average, then, including penalty yards, Dickson's six punts were kicked from the Seattle 26.3, and left the Broncos stranded at their own 14.5. Officially, he had a gross average of 59.0 yards and a net average of 57.5, with four punts downed inside the 20, allowing only two returns for a total of 9 yards.
...in his regular-season debut, Dickson finished with the second-best single-game net average of all time. But even that might be underrating him. The NFL uses four punts as the minimum to qualify for its leaderboards, and the other names at the top of the table each had four punts in their big games. Dickson punted six times against Denver. Given that these net averages were all within a few yards of each other, should we give Dickson extra credit for punting 50 percent more often than the other names at the top of this list?

...If we remove return yards and pretend those punts resulted in fair catches instead, Dickson jumps ahead of Stark, 59.0 to 58.3. Essentially, the only reason Dickson didn't break the NFL's single-game record net average record in his debut is because 26 years ago, somebody named Corey Harris decided it would be a good idea to try running the wrong way.

Want somebody to ask Bill Belichick about punters again now.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Leagues with deeper benches should prob. take a closer look at Jonnu Smith.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Fun fact: Yeldon led the Jags this week in carries, red zone carries, targets, red zone targets, and total yards, despite only playing 62% of snaps.

Things I will still go to the mat for every single year: 1) Kenny Stills is a deep-ball ninja, 2) TJ Yeldon is a good 3-down back in a bad opportunity.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Week 2 rushing leaders were Breida, Coleman, and Lindsay. Just like we all thought.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

89 posted:

It's only 2 weeks but drat Arizona looks garbage.

Week 1 average separation from the nearest defender at the time of the catch/incompletion.

Week 2

Nobody is open and Bradford's passer rating is dead last among healthy starters (I can't in good faith keep Peterman as a point of comparison for anybody, he's just too bad).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where do you get this data?

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/game-center

They're also the one that does the route and carry charts, like this one of Breida being an absolute menace weaving all over the goddamned field.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

Is this sarcasm? If not, I must not be reading this chart correctly because from here it looks like two guys in ARI are creating more mismatches than anyone else in the league.

I love this stuff so keep it coming

Big numbers mean "more open" (i.e. further distance from the nearest defender), and the black circle is league average. The only one above-average distance in both is TE Ricky Seals-Jones, who's usually "covered" by linebackers, had a bad drop week 1, and occasionally runs the wrong route (see: Bradfordception week 1).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Michael Dixon continuing his stunning ROTY campaign I see.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/michael-dickson-drop-kicks-football-on-seahawks-kickoff

Wanna see dropkick field goals next week. Do it Pete your team sucks what have you got to lose.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

There's a league where I'm starting Mark Walton today.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Fun fact: Yeldon led the Jags this week in carries, red zone carries, targets, red zone targets, and total yards, despite only playing 62% of snaps.

Things I will still go to the mat for every single year: 1) Kenny Stills is a deep-ball ninja, 2) TJ Yeldon is a good 3-down back in a bad opportunity.

Yeldon update:

This week Yeldon led the Jags in carries, rushing yards, catches, receiving yards, and total yards. They apparently didn't have any plays in the red zone. So I guess we can count that as tied for #1 in red zone carries and red zone targets with 0!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Week 1 average separation from the nearest defender at the time of the catch/incompletion.

Week 2

Nobody is open and Bradford's passer rating is dead last among healthy starters (I can't in good faith keep Peterman as a point of comparison for anybody, he's just too bad).

Week 3 (larger numbers are better)

Noticed this on the same page though: Mack is a monster

(smaller numbers are better)

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Titans - Jags do their best Alex Smith impression after an event horizon is discovered 12 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Rip Rex

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Someone said Sony Michel moves like a bigger stronger Dion Lewis so if that is at all accurate the Pats are going to use the poo poo out of him.

It is not accurate (Lewis has pretty unique, agile running style). But Michel is gonna be good probably. Reminds me of Reggie Bush.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You don't get your badge and your gun back until Gillislee runs for 1k yards

I'm hearing that Gilly and Thomas Rawls are training together now. They're in the best shape of their life and are sure to-

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Justin Forsett was a wild ride for a hot second there

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Arian Foster was a good back, and didn't look the same after his achilles injury, but he also was on the wrong side of thirty so it's tough to make a solid attribution to the injury and not age.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

JCharles was the best running back in the game for a solid stretch (fight me), but I will reiterate that Yeldon is a 3-down back with the benefit of not being 31 years old or broken as gently caress. If you're the Jags and need a mid-season addition as a backup, you might as well go for the vet that can already do everything and doesn't need intensive schooling in order to run a wheel route or keep the QB upright or read the blocks in your running scheme. You can just throw him in there if Yeldon needs to catch a breather and can expect that at least the result won't be incompetence.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Coleman is the better runner, Freeman the better pass-catching back. Haven't seen anything in the past two years (since the effortpost about it) to change my mind. And they aren't exactly lacking in pass-catchers in Atlanta now that Hooper is a top-5 TE like I said he would be.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Football Outsider's top 5 quarterback performances from this past weekend are Osweiler, Matty Ice, Trubs, Jameis, and Darnold.

Just like we all thought.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

89 posted:

I drafted David Johnson, Dalvin Cook, Devonta Freeman, Doug Baldwin, and McKinnon with my first 5 picks. My team is stackkkkked. Suck it, nerds.

Oh my

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Wow, those are some trades.

Sad to see Demaryius getting old. He was arguably the best YAC guy in football until Tate surpassed him. Here's hoping he has a few Andre Johnson years left in him. Lions moving Tate just seems a little strange though. He's still one of the best open-field runners in football (Tyreek is the only one that comes to mind who is clearly better at the moment). I mean, sure Tate's a free agent after this year, but the entire NFC north is separated by a single game at the moment. Why sell your best veteran receiver for a third when you still have a chance to take your shot?

Got Golladay shares coming out my ears though so I'm down with this even if it is slightly baffling by the lions.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

The world feels like it's spinning forever into crazyland sometimes but it's just really nice that the Browns have the decency to stay the same.
https://twitter.com/SethWickersham/status/1059172986002071559

Like a lovely old la-z-boy chair that doesn't recline any more and smells like feet now, but you still know exactly what you're gonna get every time you plop your rear end down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I just remembered that Dez isn't playing football right now and that's kinda crazy.