Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
A league owner wants to have a barbecue at a park in a couple of weeks to let the owners get to know each other. I suggested that we have some sort of competition to determine the draft order. Games of HORSE, maybe some embarrassing sack races, something like that. Anyone else do something like this for draft order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

IcePhoenix posted:

I've brought it up before but people are usually just snarky about it to me so I dropped it :shrug:

If you want to start one up though I'd love to try it.

Isn't there some sort of draft app where every week you pick five players or so and use those for the week? Thought I heard it on the Fantasy Footballers last season. That might be cool.

I also wouldn't mind trying a best ball (is that the right term for a league where you draft once and never do anything again as it chooses your best values) league. But hell, I'm in six leagues now and need to pull back.

But I won't.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Drunk Nerds posted:

Did you ever try the Calvinball league on SA? IT's basically that but contained to a single season. I never did it, but it seems that the consensus was it's fun but being commish is brutally hard because you get tax code levels of rule interactions

I won it in the only year I played. Throw out any strategy in a normal league and fling feces all over the place and you might win or get 12th place.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

The power of Barkley

In a redraft league, how high should Barkley be drafted? Is he going to be grabbed in the mid-to-late first round?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
MFL is just horrible, period.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

The "20 Team League" thread from last season is locked. That's coming back for 2018, right?

I am hoping we switch to auction this year. It would be super fun, and way more fair in a 20-team league. Wouldn't take that much longer, and you can peace out and autodraft (with pre-set values) after blowing your wad on your top players.

It will. Not sure if Jetsguy talked with Darkwolf yet because he expressed interest in becoming the commissioner last season. But one way or another the 20 team league will be back.

But as much as I love auction drafts, I doubt it would ever work for that league. That draft would take forever to hold.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

I see someone activated the 20-team goon league on ESPN. No new thread yet, though. Who's commish this year?

Darkwolf is the new commish. He should have a thread open by the weekend.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

I see someone activated the 20-team goon league on ESPN. No new thread yet, though. Who's commish this year?

Ask and ye shall receive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862257

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Azhais posted:

Just reverse all their numbers so everyone is desperate to find the worst QBs in the league

Calvinball time! :dance:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My friends and I made a separate league last year with bonkers scoring for each value. I think fumbles were +3.5 or something. We also decided that the true winner each week was whoever scored closer to 100 without going over. It was absolute madness but fun.

There was a Calvinball league here that I was in a few years back where the scoring rules changed every week. Fun as hell and hated to drop it. Not sure if it's still around or not.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just finalized our last draft for my fifth league, and now I have five drafts in five consecutive days at the end of August. The last one of those will most likely be on a phone. Better start mocking now.

:dance: It's coming!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
BS or not BS: My wife was asked to join a league. Said league was a 10 team league with one keeper at the cost of your first round pick. Now it's been expanded to a 12 team league. Over half of the league is new so 6-7 new teams. I say that since over half the league is new, you should start over fresh, randomize the draft order and no one has keepers to be fair. The ones who had the keepers disagree.

Is it BS or not BS to keep the keepers?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I've had this weird idea rolling around my head about a fantasy football league that combines WWE wrestling with fantasy football. For instance, every team (would be an 8 man league to keep the talent pool large) would pick a wrestler. You could determine draft order via a match using Fire Pro or WWE 17 or something similar. Then you use a point total type league and work with that to keep it interesting.

Various ideas I've had for the year:
Week 1 is a Wrestlemania 4 style tournament. All 8 teams play against each other.
Week 2, the four winners play each other
Week 3, the two winners play each other. The winner is declared the WWE champion.

From that point on, every team gets at least one shot at playing for the championship. Since it's a total points league, you could basically ignore the premade schedule and just declare matches and have those weeks score against each other. The three people who played for the championship in weeks 2 and 3 could be the #1-3 contenders to start the season.

Various PPVs could be in place for various weeks. Examples include:
1. Money in the Bank. The six players not playing in the championship match for that week play for the top score and the right to declare themselves a chance to insert themselves into a championship match (must be declared before Sunday night game) for a chance at winning the highest point total of the championship match to become the champion) Must be cashed in before Week 14.
2. Extreme Rules - Every team gets one scoring rule change for their match. Scoring is reset to regular rules after that week. Similar to the Calvinball league.
3. Royal Rumble (Done at week 14) - All teams not the champion play for the top score for a guaranteed match at Wrestlemania
4. Wrestlemania - Week 16 - Winner of Royal Rumble vs current champion

You could work in a promo system where the people who make the best promos (or post promos of their wrestlers) gets anywhere from a +1 to a +5 added to their score as decided by the WWE CEO (commissioner). Every week, the championship is defended except for the Royal Rumble. I've toyed around with a tag team champion to keep people interested if they're not currently in the mix for the main champion. I think the league would be fun, but I think the commissioner would have to be someone who didn't have a team in the league to keep it fair.

You could keep a championship lineage and see how long it takes before you get a Ric Flair/John Cena in your league, but obviously the one who wins at Wrestlemania is the ultimate champion for the year. You could make triple threat/fatal 4-way championship matches and the like during the year to keep it interesting (which is another reason why the CEO shouldn't actually have a team in the league). Either it's a really silly idea and would be a pain to implement, or it could be fun.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 11, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1029108332760653824

Ashes, ashes, they all fall down.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ExCruceLeo posted:

Does anyone have a spreadsheet with fake names or names from other sports? I have a neighborhood league and people were asking in the chat for someone to print them out sheets to use during our draft and I volunteered.

https://www.cheatsheetwarroom.com/fantasy-football/nfl/free/printable/fake-cheat-sheet.aspx

You can fake it to be as believable as you want. If your people aren't prepared and blindly take a cheat sheet because they didn't prepare, that's on them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here you go.

Be sure to change the top so that it matches whatever your scoring system is.

Bullsheet

:discourse:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I feel like we may have talked about this, but any suggestions for a chat app for a league? Someone mentioned GroupMe and that seems like it has a phone and computer log in. I've used discord but I don't think it has a native phone app (maybe it works in the native phone browser though).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I'm using both GroupMe and WhatsApp (different leagues) and both seem to work well. Telegram should also work. I'd decide based on what people in your league already use for chat apps.

Good advice, thanks. I forgot that I used GroupMe last year for the Goon Fish Bowl and it works pretty well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
LeSean McCoy in the first round. Dayum.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

89 posted:

In before everybody else.

20 MAN GOON LEAGUE.

I was pick #2.

QB: Carson Wentz
RB: David Johnson
WR: Keelan Cole
TE: Zach Ertz
FLEX: Mark Ingram
FLEX: Carlos Hyde
K: the cut Vikings kicker
DEF: Steelers

Bench:
Adrian Peterson
Corey Clement
Mike Williams
Case Keenum
Brandon Marshall

It sucks and you should trade all your players away. :colbert:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

So this is fun. I tried to trick my other owners into spending high on Mahomes in our dynasty league initial draft. It's an auction. It's the most important draft we will ever have because it establishes our team and everything moving forward is rookies and free agents.

Well I tried to get cute and as soon as Mahomes came up I typed in $50 thinking some idiot (7 out of 10 owners are from KC) would bid one more dollar.

They didn't bite and guess who became the idiot. I got Mahomes for 50 goddam dollars and had to switch strategy significantly.

Well now that I've seen some preseason games this might be a happy accident as I've ranted and raved in the AFCW thread. The Chiefs defense is horrible and Mahomes looks great. He might have to pass for 400 yards a game just to keep up with teams which is exactly what happened at Texas Tech. This led to Mahomes passing for 734 yards and 5 touchdowns in one game. Just a little insider tip if you're taking a flier on a backup QB.

$50 for Mahomes is still a huge overpay, but if you're happy with it then :shrug:.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Welp, there goes my RB3 in one of my leagues.

https://twitter.com/JeneBramel/status/1035982999286947841

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
My only issue is that I don't have anyone else I really want to drop for Breida/Alf. I could drop McKinnon, but I don't know if he's out for the year, or just a few weeks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

axelord posted:

Can't drop your kicker? It sounds like they suspect a torn ACL, if you were counting on McKinnon as a starter you should make a move.

Eh, he was my 3rd RB/flex taken in the fifth or sixth round. I already did the "don't draft a kicker" trick and finally picked one up. Out of everyone here, I could drop Michael Gallup, but I'm going with him as a lottery ticket.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

axelord posted:

Why not just drop your kicker, wait to hear if it is a torn ACL and then drop McKinnon for a kicker when the news hits.

I see what you mean now. Yeah, someone dropped Ronald Jones to pick up Alf. Think I'll pick up Jordan Wilkins for the kicker, see if Jones makes it through waivers so I don't waste my spot, and then drop McKinnon if I have to. Thanks for the advice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Let this be the only RB sacrificed to the football gods, please.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just wait until San Fran picks up someone like Jonathan Williams and throws this whole thing to hell.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Poque posted:

love the one guy in the league who tells everybody about recent full-season injuries before the draft

Counter it with fake ones, and use a fake tweet generator.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

dxt posted:

Both Ingram and Breida are available on waivers and I need to drop 2 for a kicker/Def before the season starts. Any suggestions? yahoo standard no ppr.
My starting RBs are Zeke, Dalvin Cook and Freeman.

Ingram is on waivers? Snap that dude up, if nothing else for future trade value. Coleman, Fuller, Agholor?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Dropped a kicker for James Conner.

....just in case.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1038508012103757824

Bell apparently not reporting for week 1. I have to imagine he doesn't play until at least week 11.

Should've picked up more James Conner shares than I did. Oh well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

There's no reason at all to start Amari Cooper this week, is there?

Do you like the feel of frustration?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Should I drop Jordan Wilkins for Dante Pettis? .5 PPR.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ughhhhh

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Go Jets D, go Crowell.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I am currently in a Yahoo! league with an IR slot and I've never played with an IR slot before. I moved Doyle onto IR when he was declared out and grabbed a TE off waivers. What happens when Doyle comes back?

You won't be able to make any eligible roster moves until you get the guy out of IR (dropping someone else). At least, that's how it works with ESPN.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

my sit/start decisions are always wrong

New Thread Title Please

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I asked the Bell owner in our league if he'd rather have (assuming health and similar production):

10 weeks of James Conner at the beginning of the year

3-5 weeks of Leveon Bell at the end of the year/playoffs.

He chose the Bell side, obviously, but I don't think it's that cut and dried (and also depending on your RB situation otherwise). You've got to be able to make it to the playoffs first. Honestly, the best thing for all for fantasy would have Bell traded to another team. Now if you have Conner and Bell, then you've got a pretty kickass RB situation.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Brownhat posted:

If Conner is still playing as a stub RB when Bell comes back, why would the Steelers bench him?

That was also a point of mine. Or at least it would be a timeshare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DeepDickPizza posted:

Love to play Russell Wilson over Mitch Trubisky in the league where I'm already 1-2 because my first two picks were Bell and Freeman. :suicide:

Understandable, but were you really ever going to play Trubisky over Wilson this week? If not, just move on. Sometimes freak things happen.