Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Holy poo poo am I glad that month is over now. What a lousy April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Congratulations!

Now forget 80% of it and just reference the relevant standard as required when people ask you to answer questions.

Not an emptyquote. But congrats!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

shovelbum posted:

how the gently caress are self driving cars supposed to work in northern michigan etc where all you can see of the road much of the year is two sets of ruts in which cars (drunkenly) creep along and which may or may not bear any relation to the (potential) summer road markings, the road itself, or anything at all approaching reality

Digging this up from the last page, but ever notice how when one of these companies announces it's rolling poo poo out for testing, they're always doing it in cities without severe weather, and with fairly well maintained roads and not, say, anywhere in the midwest?

Contrary to what all the self-driving car evangelists go on about, some of this poo poo is pretty hard to replicate with silicon.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

Hell, meat-based processors are only passable at it, and anyone who does it often will likely have to admit that driving on snow and ice is mostly intuition, route memory, and identifying traction by feel.

Visual processing is hard, who knew?

Larrymer posted:

...There's a huge testing facility on the University of Michigan's campus. Granted it's not public roads but this stuff is very much in development in the midwest.

However I agree that it's going to be very hard to implement on every road and every condition. I don't see full autonomy unless there's some sort of infrastructure built into the roads (lol good luck) for use with the sensors and vehicle to vehicle connectivity (can at least see this happening...eventually).

Yes, there is - which is where responsible development is quietly taking place. I'm not saying that it's not being worked on, just that the big public Uber/Google/whoever rollouts on public roads are all happening in the southwest for a reason.

Soapbox time. I'm an SAE member, I remember going to conferences in the last 10 years where DARPA and the like were working on this stuff and having competitions and prizes. The whole "media fawning over tech companies talking about self-driving cars" thing just has the feel of media fawning over 3d printers - the technology hasn't had anything truly revolutionary happen, just gotten cheaper to do, and with more tolerance for doing it wrong. Despite what every self-driving-car proponent is saying to me, the poo poo is not at a point where rolling it out everywhere for everything is safer than human drivers, and that's not a strawman, it's something I have to bring up repeatedly.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... I dunno, facebook came around when I was in college, and before people got on it I accidentally lost contact with a lot of people completely.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

See, I don't buy the whole "I lost contact" and joining FB to find all these lost people, if the person was that important to you how do you just randomly lose contact with them? I've never lost contact with people that are important to me, the rest are just casual friends and they come and go.

Some of us aren't great at social interaction and or are not very good friends, OK? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Adiabatic posted:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Nice, congrats! I thought about getting my PE but there's no way for me to get signoffs so, welp.

• Locked thread