Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Let's do politics, it's allowed now that the BCA is doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

They already do dumb stuff to get around this. Look at any large chocolate bar and there is always "share" or "family" or other thing that is basically telling you it's not meant to be eaten by one person. That way you get to market it as two or three serves and anyone who actually bothers to look at the nutritional information has to also notice how many serves they are eating. Chunky Kit Kats are the worst offender I've noticed, as it's actually three servings.

A while back I took part in some market research on mandatory labelling which never got anywhere but the ideas were really very good. Most of us were tired of that kind of game on labels and wanted actual ingredients listed at actual quantities and actual locations of manufacture (another wizard wheeze to avoid listing ingredients is to just say "made from imported" and some guff about preservatives), but the food lobby squelched any chance of it happening.

quote:

My bottle has 4g per 100g, which doesn't seem excessive?

Now you're making the serve excuse. It's bloody excessive if you can taste the sugar in a garlic butter sauce, which I was having with smoked cod so it tasted like sugar cod and was horrible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Archdiocese of Melbourne has issued a short statement:

quote:

We're not going to make a statement. Isn't the rule of law wonderful?

I may have paraphrased.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Some nice pre-election Bendigo pork-barrel:

quote:

The Andrews Labor Government will support the next stage of Bendigo’s development, with a new GovHub office in the heart of the city’s CBD that will bring new jobs to Bendigo.

The Victorian Budget 2018/19 invests $16 million to secure the major jobs boost for Bendigo and builds on planning funding included in last year’s Budget.

The GovHub will bring more than 1,000 public sector jobs in the CBD, including 100 new jobs not currently based in Bendigo – boosting the number of people working in the city centre.

Staff from City of Greater Bendigo, Regional Development Victoria and Parks Victoria will all be based at the GovHub, as well as staff from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, and the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources.

Bringing these agencies together under one roof will provide a one-stop-shop for people needing state or local government services or advice.

In a boost for local jobs, the Labor Government will also look to expand the number of Victorian public servants working from the new GovHub location.

Construction of the new GovHub is expected to create more than 70 construction jobs when it starts next year, and is due to be complete by late 2021.

The Bendigo GovHub is one of three GovHub projects currently being developed, with work in Ballarat and Latrobe Valley also underway.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Major Projects and Member for Bendigo East Jacinta Allan

“This is a massive boost for Bendigo – delivering a one-stop-shop for locals, bringing more jobs to the city and supporting the revitalisation of the CBD.”

“We’ve done the planning and now we’ll bring over 1,000 employees together under one roof to provide advice and help make our local economy even stronger.”

Quotes attributable to Member for Bendigo West Maree Edwards

“GovHub is an investment in Bendigo’s future – creating jobs during the construction phase and on-going positions for local job seekers.”

“We are giving the Bendigo CBD the boost it needs and ensuring that people continue to want to live, work and raise their families in our beautiful city.”

I'm betting it'll be very near if not indeed right next to the current Vic Dept of Housing. Degree of difficulty +20 for the mysterious "amazing candidate" yet to be announced by the Libs.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Konomex posted:

I hated landlords so much I became my own landlord. Free yourself from the yolk of landlord oppression and take up the yolk of bank oppression.

Don't egg them on :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

New Daily surveyed MPs about whether they could live on Newstart or had ever lived on benefits:

quote:

Turnbull government MPs have refused to say whether they could live on $40 a day – about the current rate of Newstart – as the nation debates the current rate of welfare payments ahead of next week’s budget.

Liberal MP Julia Banks was accused of being out of touch after she claimed she could on live on $40 a day “knowing that the government is supporting me … looking for employment”.

On Thursday, as the Business Council of Australia (BCA) rejected Ms Banks’ claim by arguing the payment should be increased, The New Daily surveyed all lower house MPs on the current rate of Newstart.

Politicians were asked whether they believed they could live on $40 a day, whether the $590.40 per week (or $42 per day) payment should be increased, and if they had ever relied on unemployment benefits to live.

Of the 150 lower house MPs, only 22 MPs responded, including three crossbench MPs and 19 from Labor. None of the 76 Coalition MPs responded.

All MPs who responded said they could not live on $40 a day and all argued the payment should be increased.

Some Opposition MPs did not answer whether they had ever lived on Newstart and a few replied with identical responses.

Opposition shadow ministers and backbenchers pointed to the need for a “root and branch” review of all welfare payments first, which Opposition Leader Bill Shorten announced on Wednesday.

Labor MP Anne Aly, who backed an increase, said she found herself on the single parenting payment after a violent marriage and had “raised two young children on $400 a fortnight”.

“It was very difficult to make ends meet and there is nothing more heartbreaking than knowing that you cannot provide for your children and nothing more humiliating than having to halve your shopping at the counter because you can’t afford it,” she told The New Daily.

Greens MP Adam Bandt, who wants the payment increased by $70 a week, said he lived on the dole for about a year after finishing his law degree and moving to Melbourne.

“It helped me survive and make ends meet, but that was almost 20 years ago when the government was still treating unemployed people like human beings,” he told The New Daily.

Mr Bandt said he tried to live on Newstart for a week in 2013 after Labor’s then Families Minister Jenny Macklin said she could live on $35 a day.

“By the end of the week I was $80 in debt,” he said.

Ms Macklin said on Thursday: “No, I don’t believe that I could live on $40 a day.”

Tasmanian Labor MP Ross Hart said he thought it was “demeaning” to debate “whether any of us could live on Newstart at the current rate of $40 per day”.

“The fact is, those currently on the Newstart allowance have no choice as to whether they could live on the allowance,” he said.

The anecdotal evidence was that most do not manage on the allowance, he said.

Independent MP Andrew Wilkie said politicians who claimed they could live on Newstart were “conveniently ignoring the fact that they’ve already paid their mortgage and private health insurance”.

Rebekha Sharkie of the Centre Alliance – formerly Nick Xenophon Team – backed an inquiry into Newstart.

Ms Banks, the Member for Chisholm in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs, has six properties in an investment portfolio shared with her husband and brother, her register of interests shows.

Asked on Thursday if he could live on $40 a day, Finance Minister Mathias Cormann said only that the payment was about “getting back to work as soon as possible”.

“Many people move on and off Newstart as a transitional measure. Many people on Newstart also receive income from other sources,” he said.

“The proposition that somehow Newstart allowance should be an ongoing income on an ongoing basis, that is not right.”

BCA chief executive Jennifer Westacott on Thursday joined calls from welfare groups and prominent Deloitte economist Chris Richardson for the payment to be increased.

“You cannot live on $39 a day,” Ms Westacott told ABC radio.

The budget will be handed down by Treasurer Scott Morrison on Thursday.

Well it looks like we can be sure of one thing all Liberals can agree on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

Morally reprehensible? Sure.
Inconsistent - no way. Its just more wealth transfer

Technically, it's externalizing, but yeah. It's short-sighted though, pretending that the costs are 'out there' is just ignoring that it costs the rest of the economy and there will be a reckoning.

More externalizing, and designed to be ignored by the MSM with an imminent Budget. And oh boy this will be a massive test of Bill, because they're going to shoot money out of a cannon at the electorate.

The Before Times posted:

rent assistance is pitiful though. You hit the maximum of $89 assistance if you are paying $240 per fortnight (for sharing. if you're renting outright then it's $189 maximum assistance at $289 per fortnight rent).

But wait, if you're in state public housing, because you're paying a fixed percentage of your income to make it affordable, your rent assistance gets cut, which means the only part of the benefit that reacts in any way to market conditions is designed to be minimised.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

True, i suppose i was more thinking along the lines of this essentially boiling down to yet another case of funnelling untold amounts of public money into privately owned businesses.

Yeah that's also a valid argument, particularly when you line it up against their favourite catch-cry "governments wasting money", yeah and who got that money? Oh, a private company? What a surprise. So whenever you see that, take note of the industry sector because that's a signal for another dubious tendering process. I'm in favour of some kind of non-compete for ex-public servants and politicians, to at least cut down the revolving door between politics and industry that corrupts governments at all levels. Other industries have them for employees and these guys are always claiming they're "just" employees, so gently caress them, treat them like it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

The researcher who headed the TARS team, Professor Raphael Grzebieta, said criticism of the work is "absolute rubbish".

"We have studied coronial data. We've done the survey of 1,500-odd riders out in the real world that have experienced 1,400 crashes," Professor Grzebieta said.

He accused the FCAI of delaying tactics.

"I'm convinced they're merchants of doubt, that's the whole idea," he said.

There have been three coronial inquests into quad bike fatalities since 2015 in NSW, Queensland and Tasmania.

The coroners expressed frustration at the failure of researchers and manufacturers to reach consensus.

"Although industry participation is essential, it needs to accept there are other views and take a more collaborative approach than the combative approach taken in the past," Queensland deputy coroner John Lock said.

The deputy coroner found in 2015 the TARS research was a "good start", but "more work needs to be done" before a rating system could be implemented.

A former chief engineer of the US Consumer Safety Product Commission, Roy Deppa, told the ACCC that the TARS proposed system had some shortcomings.

"I have serious reservations about the proposal for a star-rating system and for setting performance limits," he told 7.30.

More than 15 people are killed in quad bike accidents every year in Australia and hundreds more are injured, mostly on farms.

Western Queensland Grazier and Agforce President Grant Maudsley is keen to push ahead with the ACCC's proposals.

"We need to make some changes, we need to make people well informed about what they're buying," he said.

Grant Maudsley's son was nearly killed in a quad bike accident in 2009, and he's since helped develop the National Farmers' Federation policy.

"It's not until you've been to hell and back that you understand why you have to be real about this," he said.

But the FCAI and recreational users said authorities should focus more on safety culture, such as helmet use, rather than quad bike design.

Bingo. Cries of bias, sure, but what are they against? Fixing the design that kills people. Crush protection has been fought against for years, using the novel argument that fitting it would make manufacturers more liable.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I did a quick google on the crush protection debate, they've been fighting this since around 2014, particularly after WorkSafe in Victoria made anti-roll bars mandatory for quad bikes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Guardian posted:

Outspoken Nationals MP George Christensen is set to be ordained a deacon in the Anglican Church.

However, Christensen has re-nominated to run for his Queensland seat of Dawson at the next federal election and won’t be throwing the Turnbull government’s numbers into a spin.

If he was to quit early, it could put the government’s one-seat majority in jeopardy.

When he was 21, the conservative MP was accepted into a Catholic seminary in Melbourne, but left after a few weeks.

In 2014, he joined the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

More recently he became an Anglican, but retained his conservative Christian position by attaching himself to one of the few Anglican dioceses in Australia that does not ordain women priests, The Murray, in South Australia.

In July he will be ordained a deacon by Bishop John Ford.

In other news, a shark was made an honorary lifesaver today.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Before Times posted:

gently caress yes

I can't wait to see the Vic Lib Mormon Party platform against this. "A bad donation is a little like a bad father..."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

The first response was a 'former adviser to two federal Coalition cabinet ministerrs and a Liberal state premier' who said "Taxation is theft. You can quote me on that. Also, public money is stolen money"

Then let's stop paying politicians, they seem to be benefiting most from this "theft".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

this is what politicians want to believe

It seems to be the basis for their wages claims. Not seeing those cut because "government costs too much", eh. This was a poo poo Budget, the most cowardly from the Libs in a long time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

The answer is to have a guess what part of the budget that a piece of desiccated dogshit, you know the ones that explode into a white faecal dust cloud when you accidentally kick them because they've been in direct sunlight for weeks, like John Howard would look at cutting in order to pay for the increase of newstart.

"Hey we believe poor people should be given <large figure> more in their pockets! Look at us and how much we care for the poor please vote for us!"

*slashes billions out of public school funding / mental health services / all arts except the posh ones / CSIRO / whatever you get my point*

While I don't doubt that Howard would approve, it's not the the sole reason for his suggestion, it's a bonus feature. The prime reasons for his suggestion are:

1. He doesn't have to answer politically for what he says any more, so he can say the unpalatable things.

2. The unpalatable things are that the demographics of youth unemployment, general underemployment and older people on the dole by default because they raised the pension age and are trying to avoid NDIS have risen to a significant percentage of "never going to vote Liberal". Unless he starts saying "save the whales", this is the kind of response I'd expect from a neoliberal who wasn't just brainfarting.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

Fair play on point 1, agreed there. It's probably the longnecks that are preventing me from parsing point 2 - you're basically saying that the focus groups/internal polling/whatever have shifted negatively in significant enough numbers that they need to pump in however many pints of virgin blood are required to reanimate the corpse of Howard, in order to get him to throw out a few soundbites that will be dutifully repeated ad nauseum on every murdoch- or commercially-owned media outlet without question, promising money to the exact people on whose face the Libs have spent their entire lives grinding their boots?

No, I'm saying that Howard can see that Newstart is a problem, and isn't prevented from describing it like the people actually in office right now. It isn't a play from the media handbook because they don't care. Despite the RDS (Relevancy Deprivation Syndrome), Howard is actually trying to help the party see what the electoral dangers are.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Derryn Hinch puts his finger on the Newstart problem:

quote:

Independent Senator Derryn Hinch said he was disappointed the budget did not look at Newstart.

"I think that will be the big issue this year," he said. "It will get a lot of crossbench and Labor and Greens' support."

He said the majority of welfare recipients were not "20-year-old pimply kids who just don't want to work".

"These are 45, 55-year-old men and women who have been made redundant," he said. "It's just wrong."

Want those tax cuts passed, you know what to do, Malcolm. But the prize goes to the BCA (remember them, they're not at all political) for claiming it wanted the cuts aaaages ago.

quote:

"As the Business Council of Australia noted as far back as 2012 the level of Newstart '...may now be so low as to represent a barrier to employment'," he said.

Really? It must have been under their voice alone in a room 10 stories underground.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Meanwhile in Queensland...:

quote:

A Brisbane councillor has been chosen over a current Turnbull government assistant minister to stand in a west Brisbane seat at the next federal election.

Walter Taylor Ward councillor Julian Simmonds has been picked instead of Assistant Minister for Social Services and Disability Services Jane Prentice to run in the seat of Ryan at the next election.

The punchline? They got Prentice the same way. It seems the LNP can't find anyone outside the Brisbane City Council to run for seats. And this new boy is hilarious:

quote:

“There will be a very clear choice for voters, the LNP that manages the economy responsibly for the benefit of all Australians, or Labor – who wants to impose higher taxes, and take more income from the pensioners and self-funded retirees who live in this community," he said.

“Locals tell me that they can’t stomach the thought of Bill Shorten becoming Prime Minister. I’ll be doing all that I can to make sure that never happens.

“I’ll be standing up and fighting for our area – I won’t stand by as Labor and the Greens try and take what our residents have spent a lifetime building simply because Labor and the Greens can’t manage a budget or the Australian economy.”

I'm sure he'll do just fine.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

More fallout from the Prentice-Simmonds preselection:

quote:

In Victoria, where the state Liberal Party has been a recent battleground between ultra-conservatives and moderates, a veteran political operative who asked not to be named, put it like this:

“The resentment for what Malcolm did to Abbott has never really gone away – in fact it has grown worse with every losing Newspoll,” he said.

“In Queensland, where the Libs and Nats are one party, the conservative faction is more open and more vocal.

“What we just heard was a cry of revolt.”

The most telling aspect of the preselection contest, he said, was that Mr Simmonds was not an obvious Abbott supporter and something of a moderate himself.

Forget shooting yourself in the foot, this is a blunderbuss to the face. I don't think they can grasp how unprepared and unwilling the electorate is for this kind of vicious stupidity on top of a Federal budget that isn't the roaring success it needed to be.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

naeka posted:

But it has to say condition has exacerbated you can't get an exemption for same condition twice unless they put that.

This is misleading. From personal experience, it has to be ongoing and sufficiently debilitating that you can't work more than 8hrs/week, and they can only be issued three times in a row. After that you'll need to have one of two interviews (possibly both), Job Capacity Assessment (which you need anyway if you want to claim DSP), and ESAT or Assessment of Work Capacity. Your doctor has to be specific about whether the condition is/is not going to improve within 2 years on the centrelink MC. In my case, I fall between the cracks a bit and I'm waiting on a 2nd neurologist appointment to be more certain of the physical issues but they've given me a year and a half off job searching because it was obvious that I was going to need it and the system couldn't permit rolling MC's.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

naeka posted:

Yup absolutely, there's alot of limitations on it and if you expect it to be more than a few months you are gonna wanna go straight for dsp instead. For long term illnesses newstart pressures are honestly gonna make you worse even if you get exemptions so you may aswell start the (extremely) difficult dsp process asap.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it, but hopefully the specialist can make a clear enough report that the govt doctor can take on board. I was a bit surprised they found some slack in the system to be honest, but I think the problems with getting DSP appointments etc have been piling up on them in the last couple of years and they're just as frustrated with the limitations. They really need to rewrite the mainframe code hahahaha like that'll happen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If half of government systems are the mess that Social Services are in, we're in a world of trouble. It's like sticky-tape fixes at best.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

the accused Family Court Bomber trial started today

For those that don't know this piece of Australian history it's an incredibly harrowing read

If you want an in depth look at what lead to this moment read https://www.smh.com.au/national/road-to-revenge-20140825-3e8yo.html

Or if you prefer, a good podcast about it:

http://casefilepodcast.com/case-13-the-family-court-murders/

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's a bit lowbrow but what the hell:

https://twitter.com/tonightly/status/991493923515215872

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It has a second city, it's called Fremantle :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

good afternoon Anidav this is China Telecom, just calling to let you know that Taiwan, is indeed, #1.

Actually I think you'll find the cat is #1.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/SecularLobby/status/998032800690262017

Hopefully kicks the biblethumpers out of schools

Pastebin for those wanting to save on their free articles. The idea of permanent, indexed chaplains is terrible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Before Times posted:

I mean, there's no blood test, but there are some pretty good tools for diagnosis (if you're AMAB). There's already a system where a doctor can say 'i reckon this person can do x hours of work per week' but centrelink now use their own assessors who tend to vastly overestimate both chances for improvement and capacity to work.

To be fair, they learnt that from Dept of Veteran Affairs, who've been making vets front up to multiple boards of doctors to justify their pensions for decades. If I do decide to apply for DSP I will have to go in with something difficult to argue with from a specialist.

Also with the autism, there is also a lot of debate over the DSM definition of "spectrum" with good arguments for and against, and this is exactly why the govt is honing in on it because they can then say the science isn't definitive enough.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

From what I can glean from his article excerpt he seems upset that the bride was upstaged. He puts on this quaint act sometimes that makes me think he’s upset that he wasn’t born aristocratic and can only experience it vicariously or by licking the feet of truebloods like Abbott.

No, he's really saying it in an attempt to "trigger lefties" so he can put on his act about being victimised. That's his MO, it's always the same. He attacks the weak for the jollies it gives his following, and pretends he's some kind of right-wing paladin alternately.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh man this has got it all, climate denialism, misconduct, lawsuits, echo chambers, fleecing the easily-persuaded readership...

quote:

Climate science denial groups from the UK, U.S. and Australia have leapt to support a controversial marine scientist who was fired from his job at an Australian university.

Dr Peter Ridd, formerly a professor at James Cook University (JCU), was sacked for repeated breaches of his employment’s code of conduct, according to a statement from the University.

Ridd claims that the Great Barrier Reef is “in great shape” and dismisses evidence that human activities including dredging and human-caused global warming have damaged the internationally iconic marine wonder. Back-to-back coral bleaching events linked to record-breaking sea surface temperatures have killed about one third of the reef's corals.

Climate science deniers have afforded Dr Ridd hero status since he took his now-former employer to court over its attempts to censure him.

The university says it censured Ridd for repeated breaches of its Code of Conduct, which among other things asks academics to respect the reputations of colleagues, to act collegially and maintain confidentiality about University business.

Ridd has claimed people should not “trust” the scientific research from the government-funded Australian Institute of Marine Science and the Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies — both of which have staff and offices at JCU.

Last year, after the University again attempted to discipline Ridd, the academic sued his employer and published a stack of confidential legal documents on his website. The documents show multiple requests and warning from the University to Ridd.

Confirming that Ridd had been fired on May 2, the University’s Deputy Vice Chancellor, Professor Iain Gordon, said in a statement that Ridd had

quote:

'... in numerous ways seriously and repeatedly breached the Code of Conduct ... [and that his] ... employment has been terminated on this basis.'

The statement came after Ridd had gone public over his sacking and uploaded more legal documents onto his website.

Ridd has also re-opened a crowdfunding campaign to pay for his legal bills, estimated at $260,000. A previous run of the campaign raised $95,000.

Ridd has complained: “JCU appears to be willing to spend their near unlimited legal resources fighting me”, but the University has pointed out that it was the academic who commenced the legal action.

It's great how this guy has been celebrated as a whistleblower when real whistleblowers are being hunted everywhere.

quote:

Over the weekend, the echo chamber of conservative websites and think tanks that push climate science denial swung into action, urging readers to visit Ridd’s crowdfunding page.

Rather than focus on the alleged breaches of the code of conduct, Ridd and his supporters are attempting to reframe the case around academic freedom, free speech, and scientific integrity.

In the UK, the Global Warming Policy Forum – the campaigning arm of the Global Warming Policy Foundation – reposted an article from The Australian and linked to Ridd’s website.

Breitbart’s UK-based climate science denier James Delingpole wrote that Ridd had been fired for “telling the truth.”

In the U.S, the climate science denying Heartland Institute in its typically understated tone, said Ridd’s firing was 'an international scandal & part of the fight for global free speech'.

U.S.-based climate science denier Anthony Watts, on his WattsUpWithThat website, claimed Ridd was fired 'for having an opinion on climate they didn’t like'.

In Australia, Melbourne’s Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) – a long pusher of climate science denial – has already paid more than $6,000 towards Ridd’s legal fees while helping coordinate his funding campaign. IPA executive director John Roskam and several IPA staffers have been active on social media pushing Ridd’s case.

News Corp Australia commentator Andrew Bolt called for JCU Vice-Chancellor Sandra Harding to also be sacked.

On the conservative-leaning Sky News, Ridd was interviewed on the show Outsiders by host Rowan Dean, who also rejects the science of human-caused climate change.

Dean described Ridd as a “friend of the show” and told him: “You are a brave warrior for free speech and more importantly a scientist prepared to buck the all pervasive current zeitgeist about climate change and what we call the climate change hoax.”

Ridd, whose JCU laboratory used to consult for major coal terminal projects, claims to have checked his fellow scientists' claims about the impacts of dredging, nutrient run-off, and climate change on the health of the Great Barrier reef, and has found it wanting.

Except that scientists at the Australian Institute of Marine Science have rubbished Ridd’s so-called critiques.

Ridd’s case against JCU has been adjourned until 9 June.

Oh, curse that naughty zeitgeist, it is SO POWERFUL.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Last year I attended a talk given by a professor from JCU who has spent decades studying the reef, and more recently in particular on the effects of increasing water temperatures on coral growth, or lack thereof. His talk was really informative (and depressing) and I’m glad he doesn’t have work at the same place as this dickhead anymore.

Yeah just imagine the morale working at JCU where you are watching the reef go byebye and all this poo poo blows up as well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

How do these people not expect to be caught? All this stuff seems really obvious

Yeah it seems obvious, but gaming the system makes it difficult to stop, even when all the facts are present. A friend of mine was sued by someone with legal experience and even thought it was clear that they were gaming the system to harass him, it took years to make that obvious and the story hasn't ended yet.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Mark Latham continues to be insane.

https://www.facebook.com/MarkLathamsOutsiders/posts/1979812145393448

When do you think he's going to join PHON?

President-for-life Pauline would be too threatened. You surely don't imagine Latham wouldn't demand to be the leader of any party that would have him?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hmm where have we heard "white flight" before? Yes, we're copying the USA again! What a lovely legacy and it's bipartisan too! I'm sure JBP will have a rational explanation for this!

https://twitter.com/Kon__K/status/999170942688358401

Let's make a baked potato and by that I mean shoot Dutton into the sun.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

this broken hill posted:

these are the people who looked at an abundant fairytale paradise nurtured by peaceful nomads drawing on a hundred thousand years of knowledge and thought to themselves "let's kill them all, raze this poo poo to the ground and grow some loving wheat already"

"What a useless desert, let's put cattle in it"
"What a useless forest, let's put rabbits in it"
"What a useless meadow, let's put sheep in it"
"What a useless race, let's murder it or failing that, attempt to extinguish its even after we were forced to acknowledge their right to the land and their citizenship"

OK the last one was a bit long-winded but lefties don't get the catchy phrases.

So, if I got this straight, they want a third bite at the cherry because splitting Senate elections is obviously not confusing the electorate enough to vote for them?

JBP posted:

Some people are racist or afraid of middle eastern/African people because of the media and don't want to live near them.

Close but the original American context goes back to Levittown, William Levitt essentially invented the suburb and it was exclusionary segregation from the start. What "white flight" describes is what happens when that racism no longer receives active promotion by structures of authority, and real estate agents can't prop up the perceived loss in property values. The builders or developers may start out with the intention of a high-value, white suburb but obviously can't turn away anyone with the money, and the local government and other structures negatively promote racism and white flight by seeing the area as having lost value or increase in crime, or too expensive to maintain and a dozen other excuses. The media are only value-adding to that perception.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

Actually POC have a magical aura that makes stuff cheaper, food better, and racist assholes move away.

Shhhh or they'll figure it out. Meanwhile, in Senate estimates...

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedOzPol/status/999461656101961729

:ughh:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sorry to add to the tweetfest but it's news from this morning:

https://twitter.com/RossAndJohn/status/999415141467807744

but

https://twitter.com/JmarrMarr/status/999488791223005184

:tinfoil: well she was doing actual journalism on Sky whoops.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's so ridiculously self-serving, but I'll bite.

quote:

Removing the option for a ‘no-grounds’ eviction would make investment less appealing to landlords and would likely see an increase in short, fixed-term leases. Tenants are already competing with the likes of Airbnb, which is gradually taking long-term rental homes off the market.

The reason they're competing with airbnb is because it's a dodgy form of "renting" which has less protection for tenants than the already dodgy system. If removing no-grounds eviction gives the absent investment property landlord the shits and they leave, that's good for the rental market.

quote:

We need legislation that continues to make long-term property investment appealing to landlords while protecting tenants from those who do the wrong thing.

No we don't, we need the absent investment property landlords out of the market, try again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don't get the big business tax cuts. They already don't pay, so is it just to rub it in our faces or what?

You have to understand that the mindset of our political class is hierarchical: they consider big business to be a rung above them (since it is their preferred destination after politics) and there are other rungs, among them US right-wing think tanks. In such a mindset, it doesn't matter whether the tax cuts have any utility at all as long as they give them. On top of this, in the last decade, partisanship has intensified, and the governing party of the day ruthlessly roots out the oppositions political and public service appointments. This is the real culture war for them, and they intend to destroy the public service as a neutral buffer between them and the things they desire, handouts to those who will secure them a cushy appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lol, even the Guardian liveblog has had enough:

quote:

So, not going to estimates, will be fighting the court summons, it’s actually Bill Shorten who has the questions to answer, and the whiteboard was nothing to do with her.

“You should have seen my face,” she says.

We couldn’t though. Because it was behind a whiteboard.

• Locked thread