Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Also the assorted large Facebook groups are cesspools (as usual).

I’ve found a few salt mines on the FFG Armada forums, of all places. Some of them are pissed :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just noticed that Luke’s pilot card has the x-wing at 4 hull now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

The best part is that there's an ability that can flip up damage cards on opponents, and if they got a DH that's just free damage :v:

Vader: do not approach, do not engage. JUST RUN. As it should be :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

With the episode IX a year and a half off I would expect Resistance and F/O releases to be few and very far apart. Unless the NuEU has a lot of new ships I guess.

Star Wars: Resistance is out this year, so I'm betting we'll see things from that too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Felt good to get back to a proper TIE Swarm tonight. Formation flying is still tough, but I managed to make it through. My second game was against 4x T-65s with Targeting Astromechs, it felt like a frantic early-wave dogfight that could’ve swung either way at any point.

The Swarm (100)

•"Howlrunner" (23) - TIE Fighter
Swarm Tactics (2), Stealth Device (3)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13) - TIE Fighter

•"Pure Sabacc" (25) - TIE Striker
Veteran Instincts (1), Adaptive Ailerons (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

Id been wanting to run mass TIEs of some flavor for a long while now, it was good to finally get it on what could be my last game night for the summer :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was recently brutalized with 4x Red Squadron pilots with Targeting Astromechs, though I think Flight Assists could also be hilarious there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Raged posted:

If I remember right he lost most of his games that day, but he screwed over the one person he wanted to.

It’s 40K, playing it is losing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How are swarms faring so far? I’ve got the itch to run Mauler w/ Outmaneuver and 6x Black Squadron Aces w/ Crack Shot (200/200), just to throw 7x TIEs on the table and look menacing as all hell :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve had the opposite experience. My TIEs feel way more fragile, and the games seem a bit shorter. I’m also far out of practice (jumped into 2.0 after having not played since May :v: ), so that’s probably got something to do with it too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My strikers have been what’s keeping me alive so far. I’ve been running Countdown and Pure Sabaac, and they’ve generally been among the last to die after mauling something. I want to run Duchess, Countdown, Sabaac, and a Reaper as a gimmick list, which is coincidentally how I stumbled on to my better lists in 1.0.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Gate posted:

That should probably work if you go light on upgrades. Could probably fit Sloane or one other more expensive crew, plus a few other cheaper upgrades?

The more I play with the Reaper the more I like it, and the more I realize how bad I am still.

They all fit (barely), and everyone is running light. I just haven’t had a chance to run it yet.

Majestic space flap-flaps

(49) Major Vermeil
(1) Marksmanship
Points 50

(42) "Duchess"
(6) Shield Upgrade
(2) Predator
Points 50

(44) "Countdown"
(6) Shield Upgrade
Points 50

(44) "Pure Sabacc"
(6) Shield Upgrade
Points 50

Total points: 200

Banking on the Strikers forcing use of a green token before Vermeil takes his shots. Would love to throw Kallus + Marksmanship on that Reaper, for blank->hit->crit shenanigans, but it just doesn’t fit here without dropping a shield from someone.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Had some fun with this today.

Infernal Reaper

(49) Major Vermeil
(1) Marksmanship
(6) Agent Kallus
(2) Tactical Officer
(4) Shield Upgrade
Points 62

(40) Iden Versio
(2) Predator
Points 42

(30) Gideon Hask
(2) Predator
Points 32

(30) Del Meeko
(3) Elusive
Points 33

(30) Seyn Marana
(1) Marksmanship
Points 31

Total points: 200

Del Meeko with Elusive is a fun little ship, as is Seyn with Marksmanship. Vermeil with Marskmanship and Kallus is a fairly reliable way to throw a crit at someone, and Iden’s pilot ability is clutch when you need to neuter an alpha strike.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Put Wedge in the drat thing and watch him become the mass-murderer of anything TIE he’s always dreamed of being :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I played against a similar list of 4-LOM, Palob, and Kavil, and got my rear end handed to me. Kavil all but directed my Reaper out of the fight, while Palob stole tokens from whoever 4-LOM was going to murder/dump stress on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seyn Marana and Marksmanship. Having Gideon Hask as a wingman can turn things into a comedy real quick-like. Having Del Meeko and Iden nearby can make the squadron ridiculously durable, too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

2e squad building is amazing. That rebel list has 10 points of upgrades besides the 12pt title. :allears:

I’m loving the soft rule of max 2 upgrades. Ships stay cheap, there are more of them, and weird interactions of pilot talent/EPT get minimized.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

I love the interceptors but in the few games where I have used them they have died as soon as I made a mistake.

This is exactly how interceptors play. Slot one into a list here and there so you can figure them out, but steer away from multiples unless you’re feeling enormously confident about your ability to dodge other ships’ arcs. Triple interceptor lists were a ton of fun to fly in 1.0, every game turn had a chance to be your last once the dice started rolling :black101:

I’ve had a bit of trouble with the Reaper, and I’ve posted a bunch in this thread about how Seyn Marana (w/ Marksmanship) and Gideon Hask are a good standard TIE pair. Soontir is cheap enough in the interceptor that he can be run as a pocket ace, and a defender could probably round out a 200pt list between those 4 ships.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Finally got some second edition templates. Was hoping Covenant would make some, but gave up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/JtswS2C

Where did you get those? They look pretty sharp!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

5x saber squadron aces fit, and are also I4. Either of those are going to be really slippery.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The fighter in the pic is Midnight, Omega Leader’s new incarnation. Loving that I6 on her, too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some of the 2e stuff has a slight discount, too. Think I saw the new Y-Wing going for $13.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, looking at my old friends Omega Leader and Omega Ace (Midnight and Static). Similar pilot abilities to 1e, but I'm looking at adding a Targeting Synchronizer to Midnight and Trick Shot to Static. My thought is that if I lock someone with Midnight (w/ a Targeting Synchronizer on board) and I keep Static close to Midnight (within range 1-2), can I ignore the requirement of a TL to trigger Static's pilot ability (spend a TL+focus to change all dice to crits). Targeting Synchronizer doesn't specify a weapon type (only says "when a friendly ship at range 1-2 performs an attack against a target you have locked, that ship ignores the TL requirement"), but this just feels dirty somehow. Is there something I'm missing to prevent that combo?

Midnight w/ Targeting Synchronizer: 49
Static w/ Trick Shot: 36

85 total for the pair, leaving plenty of room for more shenanigans.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Fair enough. I've never flown a striker, so I better lay hands on one and start practicing.

The Ailerons will screw you up a fair bit at first, but it’s an even bigger issue for whoever you’re playing against. Ease into them with Duchess, but the true comedy lies with Countdown and Pure Sabaac.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Raged posted:

Where is Anakin? Is Ani ok?

There’s only room for one smooth criminal here, and his name is Lando :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Win At All Costs. Something you used to see in the 40k community, who’d rules-lawyer their way into victory at the expense of losing people to play against.

e: I think the term started in 40k, and people like that were why I abandoned that game in favor of X-Wing. We can bitch a ton about how X-Wing’s rules aren’t terribly tight, etc., but coming from 40k it was an extreme breath of fresh air.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 6, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

(I'm that idiot who flies her)

Same :hfive: I love flying Inferno Squadron + 1-2 other ships. The synergy between the 4 just makes it fun, and it feels like flying an actual squadron rather than a pile of TIEs that just happen to be flying near each other.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

I'm going to Try Dutchess with Iden/Howlrunner/Gideon/Seyn this Saturday at a small tournament

So i'll probably lose but have fun doing it.

That looks like fun to fly! Seyn with Marksmanship + Gideon is a solid pair, with Howl guiding them and Iden protecting one of them you’ll likely trade up (or go down in flames).

What EPT goes well with Pure Sabaac or Countdown? I’ve got a shield upgrade on him to try and keep his pilot ability alive long enough for him to use it once, but I haven’t had much luck in finding a favorite EPT. Juke didn’t trigger across 2 games, I couldn’t get Predator to trigger, and Marksmanship seems like a wash there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want there to be an equivalent of Soontir, Turr, and Tetran from 1e, complete with top skill, stealth devices, and the other fun things about every turn potentially being your last. 9 hull, no shields, no problems :black101:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Even by just getting the attention of the royal guards, you hosed up bad.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, is there much for X-Wing going on in Miami/further south? I’m moving there for a job and would like to have a way to keep playing. I’ve found a few scattered references to x-wing tournaments down there, but they seem to be at shops that have since closed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm imagining Sal (the disgruntled trucker) from Futurama, saying "Yous guys wants to dies today? Nots me!"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Torrent is clearly meant for the role of cheap-rear end filler. Like a Z-95.

Problem is that, just like a Z95, you shouldn't take one unless literally nothing else will fit or because you're that guy (Blaire something?) from Seattle who flies mixed generic swarms into top cuts all over the country.

Don’t judge me for wanting to fly a swarm of Torrents :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I haven’t played in a while, but I’m a new area with a new store that does weekly x-wing nights and has a tournament every first Saturday. I have no idea what to expect, so I’m taking my old standby list:

(44) "Pure Sabacc" [TIE/sk Striker]
(6) Shield Upgrade

(44) "Countdown" [TIE/sk Striker]
(6) Shield Upgrade

(30) Seyn Marana [TIE/ln Fighter]
(1) Marksmanship

(32) "Scourge" Skutu [TIE/ln Fighter]

(32) "Mauler" Mithel [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 195

Are there any matchups that will be bad for me with this list? I was thinking about swapping in Iden Versio for double damage-negation shenanigans, which would mean losing the shield upgrade on Countdownakd one of my TIEs...but I’m not quite convinced of that just yet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This is something I’d like to run when I get a chance, and it also fits into your list restrictions. Top 4 pilots in the FOs, and a Zeta Squadron TIE/SF (w/ an SF Gunner).

New Squadron

(44) "Midnight" [TIE/fo Fighter]

(41) Commander Malarus [TIE/fo Fighter]

(35) "Static" [TIE/fo Fighter]

(35) "Scorch" [TIE/fo Fighter]

(34) Zeta Squadron Survivor [TIE/sf Fighter]
(10) Special Forces Gunner

Total points: 199

Everyone is naked, I don’t have experience running this kind of list in 2.0. This kind of list was my thing in 1.0 though, and it’s going to be my starting point for the FO in 2.0.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Balls!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think that the guiding principle is pretty close do "do what you want", as long as you don't modify the base or make a ship look like another ship (like painting a standard TIE fighter to look like a First Order TIE). I've seen pictures of people adding in LED lights for the Millennium Falcon that would be legal, since they didn't touch the base (they had the battery compartment inside the ship itself).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Which acrylic movement templates are you guys using? I lost my cardboard ones, and had been looking for some acrylics anyways :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

This thing.

Where are you taking this...thing?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The 4 members of Inferno Squadron (Iden, Gideon, Seyn, del Meeko) are a fun group of TIEs that work well together, and that leaves room for a fifth ship with an upgrade or two.

e:

Inferno Squadron

(40) Iden Versio [TIE/ln Fighter]
(2) Predator

(30) Gideon Hask [TIE/ln Fighter]
(2) Predator

(30) Del Meeko [TIE/ln Fighter]
(2) Predator

(30) Seyn Marana [TIE/ln Fighter]
(1) Marksmanship

Total points: 137

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, that’s valid. You just can’t do Seyn without Marksmanship, though. If you can trigger it then trigger her pilot ability, it triggers 2 of the other pilot’s abilities right off the bat.