Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

5er posted:

Public Enemy already did all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They were doing political songs in the 60s. Jeez, find something new to rap about, rappers.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Mnoba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

In case you had a busy past few days, Childish Gambino has a new song/video out from the 5th that is jaw dropping, artistic, and will send chills thru you with every listen. Lots of things going on in the video, the internet is alight with interpretation videos, reaction videos I'm curious what GBS thinks.

Here are some reaction vids if you like those if not don't click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKgflcauH0&t=1168s

:lol: how that that dude caps the other motherfucker at the start.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Almost 90 million views in one week :stare:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hasselblad posted:

No see, that is clearly you wanting minstrel shows and are a racist or whatever Grape and his friend pitch are blabering about. I am a horrible person for prefering soul over the poo poo being produced these days.

Lol look at this dumbass. The guy that this thread is about literally made one of the best modern Soul takes around. Go YouTube yourself some Redbone and get your learn on.

Soul is still being made. You are just ignorant about it for some reason.

EoinCannon posted:

They were doing political songs in the 60s. Jeez, find something new to rap about, rappers.
I read this as if being said by Scott Auckerman

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care about interpetting messages or whatever but I think the song is catchy and nice to zone out to and in the vid CG himself is very very nice to look at.

I also like the HolHorse at the beginning.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Reminder that immortal technique is a conspiracy theorist and friends with Alex Jones so lumping him in with other good artists does a disservice not only to hip hop but to America itself.

This is america is kinda wack as a song (good subject matter just weak) but the video is great.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Mnoba posted:

venezuala just was down graded to 4th world, i saw a blurb about it on twitter

Closer and closer to the Sixth World

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Lime Tonics posted:

im racist

im afraid of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Twelve Batmans posted:

I don't care about interpetting messages or whatever but I think the song is catchy and nice to zone out to and in the vid CG himself is very very nice to look at.

:thunk:

I think you found the message in the worst way. #Goonbless

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Fartbox posted:

Almost 90 million views in one week :stare:

ya it's pretty amazing, i'm glad i could share if you all

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like donald glover. i liked community. i wish him well, and BRAVO on the hustle! hard to make a living, let alone be a big star in one entertainment field, let alone 2!! BRAVO!!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Smythe posted:

i like donald glover. i liked community. i wish him well, and BRAVO on the hustle! hard to make a living, let alone be a big star in one entertainment field, let alone 2!! BRAVO!!

Do movies and TV count as separate? Because only reason I'm seeing Solo is young Lando

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Immortal Technique is cool for high-school but come on his beats are terrible and he has no flow to speak of. I will always have a soft spot for Revolutionary Vol.2 though. Although I did share a bottle of Jack with technique and c rays walz in Baltimore like 10 years ago now and they were both pretty nice dudes surprisingly.

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 12, 2018

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Blow posted:

:lol: how that that dude caps the other motherfucker at the start.

my favorite part as well

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Immortal technique once put Lin Mañuel Miranda in a trashcan, a location which inspired him to write Hamilton.

Thanks for that, immortal technique

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/994074657476284416
this version better

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Watched the video, it was dumb.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lol

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 13, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hasselblad posted:

No see, that is clearly you wanting minstrel shows and are a racist or whatever Grape and his friend pitch are blabering about. I am a horrible person for prefering soul over the poo poo being produced these days.

lol one of these goofballs were triggered enough to toss $10 at lowtax.

Your worst crime isn't the obvious racism, it's how insanely square you are.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I just listened to and watched the film clip for this song thing and i thought it was pretty bad?

Like, as a nonamerican, i genuinely don't get it. Here is my interpretation of it:

Black man commits a murder: this is america.

Something something blackman commits mass murder: this is america.

Something something blackman get yo monie? Is it his money? But he just murdered literally a dozen people. Was it their money, that he claimed as his own through murder-crime?

I'm obviously missing a bunch of relevant cultural context here but i dont get it.

Someone please explain to me the worlds least understandable country.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Like im not being a racist oval office,im serious posting, i dont get it, and id like to get it.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
didn't care to contribute to the thread of such a slimy insincere regressive scum gently caress OP but to not allow another foreigner to poo poo himself screeching ignorance here's as short as I can catch you up. You have more empathetic reasons for ignoramus opinions than the americans and OP at least.

If any one word it's trauma. Parents of people in their 20's were born and grew up in a time where religious fanatics and politicians pushed the idea blacks were literally not humans and had separate everythings for them. americans are sold the famous american dream but it's pretty obvious now hundreds of years into the dream things are off. With literally millions of people trying to get their piece of the dream your starting line in the rat race is critical.

There's an american mass shooting thread that's encyclopedic volumes, we have a gun problem. It's basically unsolvable and blacks are the harshest victims for a myriad of reasons and most americans end up dying in the same place/class level there were born into. This is well known, rap is the most popular music in america now finally surpassing rock which it created and this has lead to an endless ocean of tears. This rapper who is mostly a comedian made this video to satirize the black experience: how it's a possibility to try hard as you can in life, do everything right but be gunned down thanks to nothing more than the area they were born. That area where they live only because they escaped to there a couple generations ago as freed slaves, refugees of being kidnapped and raped. It's a harsh reality, don't look at the poo poo happening all around you just keep dancing get a high paying job one day. That kind of reality leads to dark humor, part of the humor is the catchy or anti-catchy if im making up words "trap" style lyrics. The scene where like a dozen black people are killed is something that actually happened performed by a white person trying to initiate a race war, something many people are known for unsurprisingly. Take the song or leave it, the intention is clear for anyone this video is for though; make a mass appeal song that will get eaten up by white people because it's what they like, but also juxtapose the horrific side of the music they are the main perpetuators of, contrary to what whitebread parents 'know'.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

McGiggins posted:

I just listened to and watched the film clip for this song thing and i thought it was pretty bad?

Like, as a nonamerican, i genuinely don't get it. Here is my interpretation of it:

Black man commits a murder: this is america.

Something something blackman commits mass murder: this is america.

Something something blackman get yo monie? Is it his money? But he just murdered literally a dozen people. Was it their money, that he claimed as his own through murder-crime?

I'm obviously missing a bunch of relevant cultural context here but i dont get it.

Someone please explain to me the worlds least understandable country.

McGiggins posted:

Like im not being a racist oval office,im serious posting, i dont get it, and id like to get it.

you have racist brain aids and this causes you to be unconsciously racist

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Amateur Saboteur posted:

didn't care to contribute to the thread of such a slimy insincere regressive scum gently caress OP but to not allow another foreigner to poo poo himself screeching ignorance here's as short as I can catch you up. You have more empathetic reasons for ignoramus opinions than the americans and OP at least.

If any one word it's trauma. Parents of people in their 20's were born and grew up in a time where religious fanatics and politicians pushed the idea blacks were literally not humans and had separate everythings for them. americans are sold the famous american dream but it's pretty obvious now hundreds of years into the dream things are off. With literally millions of people trying to get their piece of the dream your starting line in the rat race is critical.

There's an american mass shooting thread that's encyclopedic volumes, we have a gun problem. It's basically unsolvable and blacks are the harshest victims for a myriad of reasons and most americans end up dying in the same place/class level there were born into. This is well known, rap is the most popular music in america now finally surpassing rock which it created and this has lead to an endless ocean of tears. This rapper who is mostly a comedian made this video to satirize the black experience: how it's a possibility to try hard as you can in life, do everything right but be gunned down thanks to nothing more than the area they were born. That area where they live only because they escaped to there a couple generations ago as freed slaves, refugees of being kidnapped and raped. It's a harsh reality, don't look at the poo poo happening all around you just keep dancing get a high paying job one day. That kind of reality leads to dark humor, part of the humor is the catchy or anti-catchy if im making up words "trap" style lyrics. The scene where like a dozen black people are killed is something that actually happened performed by a white person trying to initiate a race war, something many people are known for unsurprisingly. Take the song or leave it, the intention is clear for anyone this video is for though; make a mass appeal song that will get eaten up by white people because it's what they like, but also juxtapose the horrific side of the music they are the main perpetuators of, contrary to what whitebread parents 'know'.

This was a super good effort post and i genuinely appreciate you going to the effort of writing it all up. Thank you for giving me info.

Stay safe black Americans. You can pet my kangaroo anytime you want.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Former DILF posted:

you have racist brain aids and this causes you to be unconsciously racist

This is almost certainly true, making your post a good post, but everyone on the planet is aprehenisve or unwittingly judgemental of someone else due to one criteria or another.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

McGiggins posted:

This is almost certainly true, making your post a good post, but everyone on the planet is aprehenisve or unwittingly judgemental of someone else due to one criteria or another.

hey apropos of nothing do you have opinions about cultural marxism

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even know what cultural marxism is, so i don't know if i have an opinion about it, friend.

If you wish to elaborate ill do my best to give a genuine response.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Amateur Saboteur posted:

my kids and i listen to it driving around in my pacifica on the way to soccer practice, i tried to explain above to them but they just like the initial drop thanks for sharing!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Saw this article from a few years ago and had to lol

http://affinitymagazine.us/2016/11/09/why-you-shouldnt-be-supporting-atlanta-or-donald-glover/

Makes me wonder about the sincerity of it all if nothing else

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Saw this article from a few years ago and had to lol

http://affinitymagazine.us/2016/11/09/why-you-shouldnt-be-supporting-atlanta-or-donald-glover/

Makes me wonder about the sincerity of it all if nothing else

"Donald Glover is not an ally to black people and as someone who wants to end racism in America I will evaluate the legitmacy of his fame by listing the non-black ethnicities that enjoy his music more than black people. Black black black. White white. Black black. Black white. *long pause followed by sharp inhale at the end*.... Black."

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

he is also not an ally because he will not apologise for the youtube video bro rape

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

"Donald Glover is not an ally to black people and as someone who wants to end racism in America I will evaluate the legitmacy of his fame by listing the non-black ethnicities that enjoy his music more than black people. Black black black. White white. Black black. Black white. *long pause followed by sharp inhale at the end*.... Black."

it's the same as this bozo above calling internet strangers regressive, it's all about themselves and anything they can do to make them look better and have power over others at the expense of actual racial progress.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mnoba posted:

it's the same as this bozo above calling internet strangers regressive, it's all about themselves and anything they can do to make them look better and have power over others at the expense of actual racial progress.

I just find it to be the weirdest cognitive dissonance from people who write like that. They claim to want an end to racism then basically draw a line in the sand and put people of X race that act this way on one side and members of the same race that act that way on the other. Like are we all human beings struggling to survive alongside one another on this trash-can of a planet or is there a prescribed plan for how a person of a certain race should act? Please let me know so I know whether or not to cringe when I hear the phrase "Uncle Tom".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

he is also not an ally because he will not apologise for the youtube video bro rape
I blame nintendo and the game cube.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

What's there to apologize for

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Caesar Saladin posted:

Lol just watched that again. I had forgot about it. “All you can rape buffet”

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

I just find it to be the weirdest cognitive dissonance from people who write like that. They claim to want an end to racism then basically draw a line in the sand and put people of X race that act this way on one side and members of the same race that act that way on the other. Like are we all human beings struggling to survive alongside one another on this trash-can of a planet or is there a prescribed plan for how a person of a certain race should act? Please let me know so I know whether or not to cringe when I hear the phrase "Uncle Tom".

it is cringy, and probably responsible for trump support amongst black people going up in multiple polls

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

McGiggins posted:

A man is shot. The gun is delicately handled while the corpse is yanked away.

America honors guns more than people/lives

A choir is gunned down.
We had a mass shooting in a church.

You ignored the entire video to watch a man act like a fool directly in front of your eyes.
We don't see reality because we're enamoured with entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So deep

• Locked thread