Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

mastajake posted:

I believe Master Kohga is a title (as opposed to Master being the title).

The big Zelda gamepedia wiki supports this and if I'm reading it right Kohga specifically is the title that's handed down according to an art/commentary book called Creating a Champion, which focused on BOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Also, the level cap for the demo is 20, so you don't really have to worry about overleveling.

And the weapon level cap appears to be 10, so you can't overlevel there either.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

FPzero posted:

Considering the full game is less than a month away, I'm expecting the framerate concerns to stay through launch. That's honesty my only real complaint right now, since it does get pretty choppy throughout. We'll see if I'm wrong though.

If Koei is smart they'll implement the performance/quality mode toggle FE Warriors has. I'd gladly take a hit to LoD, or AA if it meant better FPS.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Do you mean 20? Cause one of mine is sitting at 16/20 Atk. 37 right now. I'm wondering if that will be permanent. Or only for the lower-tier weapons maybe.

Maybe? It was a bit late at night when I crammed a dozen traveler swords into themselves and I thought I saw the bar stop moving at 10.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Finally got the hang of Impa and man, she’s a beast. I’m not the biggest fan of Zelda thus far. Might just need to put in some more time. Hard to, since she’s only available for half of one mission.

You can go back to the first map and put her in place of Link or Impa with the Party selection. Zelda actually seems her strongest when she's facing anything with weakpoint triggers, because her normal and strong strings count as using the shiekah runes. Also, you can cancel out of her bomb rune and keep attacking while it's still going.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Thanks for this. I tried it on the second map and couldn't (guess because she has an event in it?) so I assumed you could only switch between Impa and Link. I'm liking her set more now. The XX combo is pretty strong, especially followed by ZR. Still haven't found any horned rhino beetles.

Oh, yeah her upgraded XX combo is great and great at lagging the game because you can set even more cryonis blocks while she's on top of the big one. The game freezes for like a solid half-second whenever I do this, great for clearing crowds at least.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The tower he summons for his C5 is super weird and seems to just stick around a while without doing anything. I don't know if I have yet to unlock a follow-up move but it seems like his C2 is the only reliable way to use his gimmick

Other later game character thoughts:

Riju's moveset is wild and I like it very much, but I think she moves around too much to deplete weak-point gauges effectively which is a bummer.
Teba is a little too similar to Revali for my liking. He as good moves at least?
Yenoba seems meh until you memorize the shield color/move matches for his ability, but might be really good once you memorize that.
Prince Sidon is real strong.

My late game character opinions to your thoughts:

Teba is amazing and I would almost say he's better than Revali. You can hold down ZR during Teba's combos, the only things that seem to reset it are his special and the runes, so you can just drop a max level for the spread bomb arrows whenever you want, and his C... 4 or 5, the one where he does a single arrow straight in front of him, does huge weakpoint damage and you can just do it as much as you want while charging and unleashing his charge arrow. Sidon seems to be the requisite Lu Bu/Volga, his QTE attacks cover huge arcs but his stasis doesn't last for very long so it's better to just do the follow-up, his bombs seem really good though. I agree that it seems hard to keep Riju on target though.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Does changing difficulty effect anything reward-wise? I've been playing on Hard so far and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth enemies just having health and me dying easier just so I can say I played through the game on Hard. What difficulty is everyone playing on? For me, this has been the hardest musou I've played. Health recovery is super scarce (at least on hard)

It might influence the damage of weapons you find, but beyond that I can't say I've seen any difference between easy to very hard in terms of rewards. In that sense at least, AoC is very forgiving to newcomers and people who just don't want to deal with higher difficulties, which makes sense if Nintendo wanted people who didn't get HW1 but played BOTW to buy this.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Senerio posted:

Also does anyone know when I can get the Vai outfit? I know it's in the game.

The mission for that appeared for me when I cleared the mission Hyrule's Greatest Warrior, and then it appeared in the desert. I had a shitload of challenges laying around, so I can't say exactly what caused the first mission to appear beyond that I had already finished the final story mission.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

You do gain hearts at certain level thresholds. Not sure if it also buffs your strength or not. I would think it would if stages recommend certain levels, right?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Battles where you have to fight Kohga with a time limit are horse poo poo, it's so difficult to get his weak point gauge to appear

Is there a list of which attacks for each character are best at triggering weak points?

Also, what does leveling up actually do for your character? Since it doesn't increase your hearts, and your damage is based on your weapon...

You get one heart every 5 levels, which I think is how HW1 handled it and I think you do get a little base attack increase because you will absolutely crush earlier stages with a high level character, low attack weapon or no. And most characters will cause a very short weakpoint expose with their C5 or C6 combo, which for some characters will be just long enough for you to stasis the mob and extend the expose.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Yeah that's what I'm realizing, some characters are gods against hordes of bokoblins but absolutely can't scratch captains or bosses.

Link with a spear is the best of both worlds tho

As much as I love spearink, because Ganondorf Trident was an absolute monster, I am completely addicted to twohander Link there is nothing like a full C6 berserker combo.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Haven't gotten far in the game yet. How's the writing in it, by like, Nintendo/Zelda standards?

Writing is definitely not why anyone would play a Warriors game, but I think it does what it needed to do so things would stay fun, speaking as someone who has completed the game. I didn't mind the "fan-ficcness" that crept in as the game went on.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's one of my biggest complaints, the original HW refilled your bottles between battles, but this one doesn't and you can't just buy apples or something between missions to refill your apple meter.

Not that I'd have many rupees to buy apples with anyway, I don't know when I'll ever be able to get to that 5000 rupee mission because I'm just stuck hovering around 3k.

My advice to people struggling for cash is to open as many stables as you can and to check them after every battle. All but one or two of the merchants that show up there have a preferred good that's marked with a gold star in the category list when you sell. One merchant wants monster parts and pays 50 rupees for bokoblin guts, which you should have dozens if not hundreds of.

Completely agree about the apples though, I get that Koei really wants you to do small challenge maps to get those back, but that doesn't always work out.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 30, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Gotcha. Is the combat more challenging then? I guess what I mean is if there isn't time management then taking outposts or fighting bosses seems like it doesn't really have a lot of challenge since most enemies are there to get mowed down.

The combat is definitely more engaging than HW, especially in regards to not having to stand around waiting for bosses to lower their guard or do the one thing you can counter with an item. Instead, you have reliable but limited in quantity means with the rods, that get stronger if you do something like fire rod on grass or electric/ice on water, then you have more skill based but shorter means in flurry dodging and parrying, and on top of that there's the runes which every non-mook enemy has at least one attack that can be countered with a rune and named enemies tend to start at two and go up from there. Characters themselves also tend to have some kind of gimmick or expect you to utilize the way they handle runes to keep things interesting and change things up, I also hesitate to point at any character and call them bad, like Lana's spear was, characters may lean towards crowd control or dueling but no one is outright poo poo.

You're right that mooks are mostly there to get mowed down and build your special meter, but all the bigger/named enemies, especially things like lynels, are enough of a roadblock that you won't sleepwalk through them. Especially if you play on hard, normal I feel is a bit too easy if you're already familiar with Musou games and want something a little more challenging.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do you get anything for beating missions on higher difficulty levels? More rupees?

I am 99.99% certain you get nothing for higher difficulty levels, I don't even think the rupees you get at the mission complete screen are multiplied or anything like that.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I agree that monk dude is kind of fun to play as but I wouldn't really call him good. He's fine but I've found myself enjoying playing him less and less the more I've used him.

DW4 (or was it 5?) had different kinds of area bases but for most of the other ones "bases" were just spots at the edge of the map with a single dude guarding it where soldiers of whatever army held it ran in from. And yeah, HW officer/boss fights are really bad, with a lot of waiting around. This actually is pretty accurate to older 3D Zeldas like OoT where enemies just blocked constantly and you had to wait for them to open themselves up, but it doesn't work for a Musou type game. I mean, officers block constantly in Musou games but you can do a lot of different things to get around that such as just moving behind them, or using certain types of charge attacks (I think 7 just had the C1 straight up be a guard break). HW relied too much on weak point gauges being a thing so you'd have to wait for the gauge to appear, and even then you'd get maybe two or three wedges off it before the officer just put up their guard again and forced you to wait. I like HW a lot but it's pretty tedious compared to this one, where you can attack officers constantly since they don't guard. It might not do a lot of damage but you're still being a lot more active fighting them since it's not just useless flailing.

Earlier DWs like 2-4 also had most characters' C1/2 break guards too and yeah, the more I played HW the more I came to hate the giant bosses and I never felt like I had enough time to cycle through the item bar in the definitive edition compared to the wiiu's touchpad. It's hard to state just how happy the slowdown you get when selecting rods and runes made me in AoC.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Zore posted:

Van Medoh sucks rear end and I hate it. The others were pretty trivial though one :shrug:. The others don't let loving fifty Lynels spawn under you with their horseshit and have the ability to actually hit in AoE

Vah Medoh is the easiest and strongest divine beast? The worst one is Rudania with no shield, piss-weak ranged and a melee that can't hit flying guardians. With Medoh all you do is switch to ground target mode and rake your lasers from target to target, occasionally switching back to air and using your ZL to kill everything in front of you and maybe pinpointing a target or two with more lasers before switching back, your special will charge so fast that if you start getting hit/Windblight starts attacking you're basically guaranteed to have a full bar whenever you need it. I just fly lazy circles around the arena and blow away the targets usually before they can even start attacking, doesn't hurt that it seems that attacking something that's about to throw poo poo your way interrupts them even if the projectile is already in flight.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Try to get hit during the trigger attacks then. If you get hit during those, it only counts as temporary damage, then you can just press the snack button to make it go away. :btroll:

Or even better, the special attack button whose gauge you just filled up thanks to all those berserker strong combos.

Seriously though just snacking with the strong attack actually caps out at about 5-6 hearts, but you can hold the button down, while special attack refills everything I believe.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 5, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

fadam posted:

Are any character upgrades locked behind the Divine Beast Missions?

Not really 100% on this, but at least one wiki claims that you need to do all the divine beast missions as part of the requirements to unlock the final character Calamity Ganon.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I wish this wasn't so clunky. Not sure why they made it so user-unfriendly like this. Just let us pick which skill we want to add out of the group, geez.

You do get exactly that by removing seals? It just has a cost instead of being able to perfectly optimize your weapons from the word go.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I think what they mean is when each weapon has one seal (i.e. all the trash you picked up), and which one you transfer is determined by the order of which you clicked first. For that case there's no balance change; un-selecting/re-selecting in a different order to choose a different one is just an inconvenience.

Oh, yeah it is a bit annoying to select and de-select weapons in the perfect order if you didn't notice/forgot what you wanted first.

fake edit:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Warriors Orochi had weapon fusion perfected and I'm not sure why they decided to go backwards from it for the Hyrule Warriors games.

Anyway quick question about the first Hyrule Warriors game, since I was curious. Does DE add the 8 bit weapons back? They got taken out in Legends which was really disappointing.

DE does have the 8bit weapons but you have to unlock them and they're just skins for 4+ weapons. Which I guess could be an improvement or a detriment depending on your viewpoint.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 9, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm fine with them just being skins, that's actually pretty great. Better than just removing them completely like Legends did. Link swinging a raft around is just funny.

So has anyone figured out a way to make bow Zelda good? I tried using her in a post game mission that required her to fight three Lynels and she was just awful. Her "super mode" was pathetically weak and just got me beat in the face by Lynel crushers over and over.

The super mode is really only good for blasting down a weakpoint, or clearing a line of trash enemies you want to style on i guess, mostly save your meter so you can force a weakpoint and immediately follow up with her stasis when you're fighting big enemies 1v1. Her stasis followup is pretty good at depleting weakpoints if you can force them out before using it. Other than that, use rods, if you're really pressured just stasis and reposition, and her C6 can also force weakpoints.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Impa is probably the most choppy to play as. With her three symbols up and doing her special, the game stutters real bad on the switch lite.

You don't even need to do her special, just line the clones up vertically against an enemy, expose a weakpoint and proceed to attack.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I never really found Normal difficulty that difficult outside of one or two spots, I know everyone has different skill levels though. I watched Vinny play it and he played on Hard for a while and outside of enemies doing a bit more damage, the biggest reason it was difficult seemed to be a complete lack of apples. A lot of people said it sort of feels like there should be a difficulty between Normal and Hard because the jump is just huge.

Yeah, Hard definitely seems designed for people who spend time doing most of the side missions as they appear, both to restock on apples and to level characters and weapons. Vinny didn't bother to do that, and neither did I in my solo run before I co-op'd with a pal, so he eventually got outpaced by the game. Very Hard is basically Chaos difficulty from older games, and I tried one map with it and went "Nah I'm Good" after that.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

We aren’t getting DLC for the new game are we?

My bet is Nintendo won't let them make any DLC until after botw2 releases.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Can confirm now, the new weapons and probably the guardian are unlocked through the Ancient Lab skill tree thing.

Once you unlock the flail, I’m assuming you get more from drops? Then again it looks like they power up from unlocking more nodes so maybe not?

You repeat the nodes to get more of that weapon.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Senerio posted:

I'm probably just stupid but is there an easy way to freeze enemies with Cryonis?

Doing it near water. Other than that nothing immediately comes to mind.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know if Reports drop from any mission or is it only the new EX ones?

Each report has its own pre-reqs, here's what they are copied from the googledoc:

Battle Records = 100 KOs
Material Properties = 50 Materials
Monster Ecology = Lynels, Taluses, Hinoxes (mini-bosses)
Relic Analysis = Guardians

That's it, no specific mission requirements, you could totally just do the first story mission over and over if you really wanted to for two of the four above.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Even Great Fairy? Mine is like lv 30 I refuse to use her, way too cumbersome and also blocks out like half the screen. Rupees are a pain to get unless you grind bananas I guess, so I try not to use them on gaining levels too much.

Selling monster parts to the Rito stable merchant makes a ton more money than bananas, you probably have hundreds of boko guts alone and the merchant pays like 100 rupees a pop for the rarer monster parts like hinox stuff, and 500 rupees each for lynel guts. If you somehow don't have a ton of guts then slamming the three, or two and the rare, +material recipes and going to any larger-ish map will drop an actual fuckload on you. Chief of the Dunes seems to be a pretty common recommended map to farm for boko parts and you could do Unnatural Disaster as mention earlier to also get reports if you need those.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Weird, I had curing agent for days, but I needed to grind machine lubricant pretty hard because I was missing so much. It feels like I usually get around 2 or 3 just by doing the Vicious Monster missions since I hit those pretty hard when the DLC dropped.

My completely subjective experience is that you seem to just get a random research lab ingredient after a map, no idea if the EX ferocious monster maps give more, or if the quantity is also completely random. This part definitely feels like something that you were meant to just end up getting some over the course of an entire playthrough.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think it's random because it's been more or less confirmed that doing missions with Guardians as enemies will drop machine lubricant, I was able to grind mine out by doing the Mipha mission in Zora's Domani where you have to fight 17 Guardians with a time limit, always dropped 4 or 5 machine lubricant per run.

This implies that there's enemy types that are more likely to drop curing agent and the other one (oil or something?), but I have no idea what they would be.

That makes some sense at least, I did just get some machine lubricant from a vicious map that was against a pair of guardians, but I also killed a moblin, some elemental moblins, a boko that was guarding a camp, and some wizzrobes and something in that gave me a pair of curing agents. I also went in with the two better + material recipes and the + rare material recipe. The next battle, also a ferocious map, I killed the same things except the wizzrobes and this time I got one lubricant, one curing and three oils. So, it might be either moblins or bokos, but I wouldn't be surprised if other mobs could drop it too.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

The Golux posted:

By the way, how far into Age of Calamity do you have to be before you can unlock everyone's full movesets? I feel like it's being slower than I'd like...

Depends on what you mean by full movesets, if you just mean someone's full X/Y combos then that can be done without completing the main story, though you might need to complete all of their upgrades for their final combo to appear. If you mean unlocking every character and filling all of them out, then it'll be a while into post-story maps and getting to the furthest right node of the research lab, though you won't need to completely fill out the bottom path. The reason for that is a lot of characters get an enhancement to their unique ability that doesn't unlock until post-story and I recall one of the lab nodes being locked behind one of the late story missions. Also worth noting that some maps are locked behind things like the very benign and side-content looking anti-X training battles, so don't ignore them.

Much as I'd like to just point you to one, I've never come across a full breakdown of what maps and upgrades unlock what in AoC.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Has anyone else noticed a stealth buff to 2H Link? It seems he gets added slowdown, that you can do a dodge during, if he's going to be hit and lose his temp hearts, and I don't remember it doing this before?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Zore posted:

That's his post-game upgrade for 2h weapons, you must have recently bought it. Every character gets a fun post game buff like that to their unique actions.

I must just not have used 2H Link since I finished playing back when the game came out, or the slowdown on co-op mode was just so bad that I didn't notice the upgrade's effect.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mostly characters with shields, which is 1H Link, Urbosa and Riju, you have to guard and then press Y at the right time. I probably used to know the timing but I've completely lost it after not having played for a few months until the DLC dropped.

Fortified Flail can reflect with C1.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I finally unlocked Battle-tested Guardian. The boss fight to unlock it was awesome. The character is ok, kind of clunky but probably really powerful with a weapon that has more than 11 attack lol

Once you get his full combo string unlocked you can win/stunlock anything in the game by locking on, doing C6, doing C2 and dodge-canceling out of it after it starts up, and just repeating that or adding in more lasers to taste. The Dojo guy cottoned on to this and he put him in the overpowered tier of his list right under Teba. Also there's something very satisfying about being the rear end in a top hat who keeps lasering everything with its dashing C1.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

How in the hell do you stop the Yiga Blademaster from sacrificing himself to fight the Silver Moblins when he closes the gates, do you just have to haul rear end to the end of the level beforehand?

Because I killed absolutely everything that appeared until the guy closed the gates before I could even react.

Run forward and kill the moblins blocking the way, trigger the hollows and immediately turn around and run back to the locked gate, kill the guys harassing the Blademaster and that's it. This is all in the googledoc's DLC2 tab: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ci8hBndMf9jIRC_sYzZaKWhWt9UVw9Ee8PyhlbQ-eHA/edit#gid=1770011887

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Kin posted:

Is there a step by step guide anywhere for farming rupees and making an ultimate/strongest weapon. Like one that lists the missions and what to do?

The pointers here have been helpful but then it's back to the research to find out just what exactly it is in supposed to do.

For some reason this game is like the hyperbolic example of the state of modern guides for games. A bunch of poo poo, ad laden sites, presenting the instruction manual as a guide, or video results that spend 10 minutes showing you irrelevant content like the loading screen.

It's so bloody frustrating.

The googledoc I posted above has that, it has an entire tab for farming, here let me link the gfaqs post it has for rupee poo poo. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/299971-hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity/79176421 Post 3 is the one you want. As for weapons, basically everyone wants attack speed, which is one of the rarest seals, except people who are already absurdly fast because later combo strings=usually higher damage, and most/all hidden weapon seals are either square or hexagon and you want to match 2/4 to increase their bonuses. Thanks to seal removal you can't really go wrong with seals, just find what works best/slap 4 +attack speeds and call it a day. Warriors Dojo is a good source if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of each character's moveset and weapons. He doesn't have the newest DLC characters, but I doubt it will take him long to start posting those.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Kin posted:

Cheers for that. I've pretty much finished the first DLC now, though i was debating trying to reach level 50 with one of Links weapons before tackling DLC 2.

Is there much point in doing that or will i unlock better levels for gathering high powered weapons in the second DLC. The link you posted mentioned that the best level for grinding max level base weapons was the final mission from DLC1, though that one felt like it took a while for me to complete, so i dunno how efficient it is (though it might have just been how i played it).

Personally, getting level 50 on anything seemed like a "You have nothing else left to do in the game" rather than a goal to strive for, but again that's just me. I played through the game once alone on normal and again with a friend on hard and we never had any serious trouble. So, I can't really offer a personal opinion beyond confirming that the googledoc probably knows what it's talking about. I will say that according to the googledoc, DLC2 will give a second place to farm high quality weapons, but only at the very end like DLC1 did and it's just as effective as DLC1's map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Astor never recovered from being transplanted from Fire Emblem.