Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

STAR laptop came in the mail but I've been busy and too afraid to open it and get sucked in.
I want one of those so bad, but I can't justify dropping $700+ for it right now. I've got a Foxwell 520 Pro which gives tons of visibility as well as active tests and recoding. I still want the full STAR system, though. How much did you pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

The rubber boots around the folding part of the mirrors have been cracking out. The PO told me it was going to happen, and he also said that most DIYers cut the harness and resplice there instead of feeding it out from somewhere deep in the body. Anyone heard about that?

If it's anything like my 2005 E320, it should be easy as anything to swap out. I never cut a wire if I can avoid it. I just clipped the hole a little bit and it stretched out fine, still doing a good job of wrapping around the wires. I'm not sure how deep into the door your wires go. Mine were directly under a panel that was accessed by opening the door. I'll bet there's a panel with an airvent in it that meets one in the dash when you close the door. If it's anything like my E, there should be connectors under that panel where the mirror electronics plug in.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

Clipped the hole or clipped the rubber seal? And stretched meaning going around the mirror?

Clipped a little cut in the wire hole in the center of the seal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

STR posted:

Get AAA Plus (100 miles of towing per incident) before buying it. You'll probably need it to tow it home, and they won't do same-day-signup-tows anymore. :haw:

Also, check with your insurance carrier. I'm through Progressive, and for less than AAA they offer roadside assistance/towing/warm hugs as an option.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Good to hear about the struts. Where'd you get them from?

If the rotors are like other Mercs, they're held on with a bolt and rust. Remove bolt, bang with mallet until satisfied. Might be a bit hairy doing that with a regular car jack.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
My 2005 E320 is getting close to 250k miles, and just to keep it rolling, I'm looking at about a grand of work. I've been looking around for my next car, and this thread has placed brain worms into me.

What's the general quick opinion about this ride?

https://www.ipacket.info/156B5061-DE9B-5CD5-F1EEF0E5530586A2

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Krakkles posted:

I know nothing about them, but jesus, is that all those go for? That's massive depreciation.

Yep. The depreciation curve is...impressive. That's the only way I can afford to get one. Believe me, I'd love to get a new Merc. I'd also love to get a kidney. I'll get one of those before I end up with a new Merc.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
what have I done. What did I do? I did it, oh my god, I did it. It's mine. The S-Class is mine. It's in front of the house RIGHT NOW!

It's MARVELOUS! POWERFUL! QUIET!! COMFORTABLE!

....oh poo poo. what have I done.....

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Hate it that you got tagged. Hope things work out in the positive direction.

Things are going well on my new ride. I've picked up a Bovee 1000 that hooks to the Apple connector in the glovebox to play music from my cellphone using Bluetooth. The only real problem is that it's made for Ipods, not Android. I pause what I'm listening to and it starts playing automatically. I have to switch from Auxiliary to MP3/Radio/something else to get it to pause the playback, and the master volume on Auxiliary is low, so the radio will blast if I forget to drop the volume. The other thing I had to get was the Bluetooth module adapter. Found it for a hundred bux on Ebay. Plug and play, works like a dream.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
So far, no obvious hate. But then again, I pay no attention to people around me at the gas station. :-) A good friend of mine is jealous, but that's because he has a C-class.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Speaking of coverage for accidents, I got tire and wheel coverage when I bought my S. I hit a bad railroad crossing. Killed one TPMS sender and split the opposite tire where the sidewall meets the bead.

Tire covered and replaced. Waiting on final word for the TPMS. They've got me a C300 loaner. Gosh it's small.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Preoptopus posted:

if they dont, you can get aftermarket ones that will work. any tire shop should have em.

Yep. You can get 4 brand new ones on eBay for fifty bucks, so they better approve replacing the busted one. Hell of a lot cheaper than the tire by a long shot.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I forgot to finish talking about this situation. They ended up paying all but $20 for the TPMS replacement, 100% on the tire replacement.

kimbo, how did the insurance claim on your car end up?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Goddammit!

Parked to have dinner. Pulled out and caught the front bumper on the concrete car stop. Yanked the bumper off the passenger side!!!

Local shop fixed it for free, but argh!!!!!!!

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
The second part of that weight assembly is getting it calibrated after installation. It's a special assembly they put on the seat with specific weights. Probably not going to find a regular shop that has it, only a dealer. I had the same problem in my E320 and after looking up all the cost and pain, I just made sure my wife wore her seatbelt.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
:(

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Antenna cover came off. Dang son, that car is cursed.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Good grief. You'd think that a stuck open thermostat wouldn't be that pricey, but no.

Duralast simple thermostat: $6.99
MB special magic thermostat: $177.00

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Car washes aren't considered essential businesses these days here in Tennessee. My poor S550 is so damned dirty, I'm thinking I'll lobby the local government and teach them that an S-Class MUST be clean. Car wash is ESSENTIAL BUSINESS!

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I had MB disable the telematics on my old e-class. They had to pull an optical fiber link out in the trunk and bypass the box.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Augh! On a short vacation in Georgia to visit family and my front right airmatic seems to have a slow leak. At the dealership now getting it looked at.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Strut is leaking. Blah. Checking on third party replacement cost. They want approximately 2k for the OEM front strut. Not today, my friend.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Rebuilt Arnott strut. Getting it put in on Friday morning. Part and labor, $1200.

I hate spending unplanned money like that, but I have to have that air ride. So smooth and comfortable. Mercedes of Augusta is a very nice little dealership. Not very big, but they have a very good selection.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty good. What’s labor, 3h?

Probably 2.5, but three is close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
And the drivers side airmatic strut went bad. Figures.