Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

PAN successfully making the leap from "animal party" to "environment party" will make or break them.so far they are definitely eating the greens/ecology partys lunch.

Also lol that 70% of the population just didn't bother to show up, it wasn't even a great beach day.healthy democracy.

Come on, 30 degrees out, if it weren't for the weirdly strong wind currents it would have been unbearable. Otherwise a pretty nice beach day.

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 14:12 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Look man, wind was blowing sand all over the place.i don't like sand.its coarse and rough and irritating and it gets anywhere.not like at the voting booth, where everything is soft and smooth.

unlike the voting booth i can find representation on the sand, because of all the trash...
I did vote, but I'm not that surprised a lotta people are increasingly ambivalent towards Europe; I also have the notion that since the 90s the abstention rate has been quite high, dunno if it's right but feels like it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
don't forget you now have to register your data on nonio so they can sell it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Here in Portugal a famous newspaper, regarded by some as left leaning, even if that's being charitable, just published a chronicle from a known nationalist that basically said roma people and black people aren't receivers of human rights due to not being of Christian descent. Because the human rights bill was born out of Christian accomplishment.
Naturally the typical free speech defenders came out in full swing to her side because what she said begs the question :barf:.

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Jul 7, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Even the Dutch are screwed?! Well, at least we're in this together.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Portugal burning up again, I'm guessing two new helicopters are purchased when this is all over to shut people up and then next year what didn't burn up will.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Or have people from the cities lambasting the dumb farmers for not ripping out eucalyptus from the entire north of Portugal. I mean, it's just cutting them down! /s

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Its not farmers that planted the eucalyptus.
Unless you consider navigator and Portucel farmers.
Maybe this whole profit motive that had us wholesale rip up century old oaks and olive trees and replace them by eucalyptus and pine is a bad idea.

I was being sarcastic, but there's a class struggle component where people from the inner country are subject to having scrap off however they can, and a tendency to focus on simple targets to blame for wildfires. People now bemoan eucalyptus while failing to consider why they were planted in the first place and expect to the few remaining people in the villages to "clean the woods".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

twoday posted:

is a Portucel like an incel

they're a paper making company here, and between the late 60's to 80's(?) there was a big push to plant more eucalyptus because of fast growing they are. a lot of man made fires here are simply started because burnt wood is still usable and cheaper

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
a conservative party here in portugal was one of the many parties around that world that used a hentai cover as a meme about "gender theory" and the author came out disavowing its usage lol
i hate this deadbrained country at times but gotta love how even conservative journals came out against the party

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Today in Fátima is happening some sort of "conference" promoted by International Catholic Legislators Network where Orban and Mick Mulvaney are guests. who the heck is the ICLN?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

CDS. This feels like it was ages go already.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Why call Costas a better grifter than say Portas or freakin Sócrates? I mean, sure, my perspective of him is in a best case scenario he's benign, given what we have to deal with in major party politics here.

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 09:12 on Sep 12, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

Because Socrates and Portas could never get PCP and BE approval.
Yeah, that's a good point. But not sure if that makes him better or worse tbh.

Speaking of PT politics, what's the deal with Livre? I voted for them last time because from all smaller parties popping up they seemed like a good deterrent. Plus their figurehead at the time wrote some good stuff.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Livre are the hipster intelectual Lefties.
They are DOA.
They are kinda poo poo because they think intelectual arguments win in politics.
hmm yeah that rings true but idunno, we need someone else in parliament to act against "bregas" like Ventura and co.

He's kinda poo poo when it comes to the actual governing part of the job, especially when dealing with crisis events , but if the latest reaction to the truckers strike is any indication, he might be learning.
tbf it's not like anyone in the opposition mounted any kind of attack, so he had his work cut out for him

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kunster posted:

Also, media blood really, really actually wanting what Rui Rio was feared to be. I sure saw a sudden change of "Oh no, Rio had poltiical propaganda that was against the Romani people, we must be against populism" to "Oh for some reason Bloco da Esquerda cares about this random minority. Salvini wants to do what. Oh, just "migrants". Pfft. Whatever".
What work did Rio did while mayor in Porto? A friend keeps citing me to check his good work there but all I recall was the debacle with the Aleixo neighbourhood and the subway. Didn't the Aleixo project fell apart because of BES imploding?

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Sep 13, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

He managed to not gently caress up the city accounts like his predecessors, and pissed off pinto da Costa.

That's it.
Wasn't the subway a big net loss?

The yesterday debate between Rio and Costa reminded me why I don't usually watch them, they're painful to watch and nothing meaningful is said. I mean, I guess Rio debated accounting and he showed how much he wanted to sell the SNS.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Why focus on ADSE though? Without knowing much about it, other than some family members of mine pay for it, why would enrolling everyone on it allow for medical insurance companies to gain ground?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

cargo cult posted:

are portugese white
meh, sometimes I can pass for white, but I think most of white europe see us as latin meaning not black but not really white

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Looking at the absentee vote map it's not that surprising that northern Portugal abstained more. CDU losing and booting Heloísa Apolónia is a poor result but she seemed to be thrown under the bus.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Chega got a major push in Loures which is basically copland and kind of a nazi breeding ground.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
This was a fun week in portuguese pol, from the three parties with inner fighting the one who came out worst and more publicised was the left's newest dearest, Livre. With a really high school level of gossip played out in all to see.
Having voted for them in part due to their identity platform, it's really disappointing how this played out and I still don't get what really happened.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dawncloack posted:

What happenned was the media overamplifying the fights inside some parties and hiding the fights in others.

you'd figure accusations of forged signatures would take a more center stage but it is easier to report on bickering and some people were dying to make a stand on how this was all due to her stuttering

Kunster posted:

The silver lining is that it made the press be actually specific about Pro-Palestine activism and support it on some level.

oh yeah, even one of my uncles commented on the ideological position of the european left on the palestine issue

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 11:38 on Nov 26, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1207666896872456192?s=19

The EU has dashed France's attempt at bringing Airbnb into line with its property and rental regulations.

cool, there goes the neighbourhood

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
In Portugal the new lead of the Conservative party is the most dweebiest beige portuguese guy you could picture
https://twitter.com/aitorehm/status/1221395381034024960?s=19

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Can't wait for march for civility lead by them

twoday posted:

When you were partying, I studied the Treaty of Lisbon. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the Schengen Zone. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated federal integration. And now that the UK is on fire and the populists are at the gates, you have the audacity to come to me for help?

dicking down erasmus students in your thirties for the EU culture

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
so the hacker that leaked a lot of corruption inside footie clubs is the same that leaked the evidence about the Angolan oligarchs and now everyone's bending their own backs trying to justify one leak vs the other
I've seen someone say "good faith hacks" lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

dex_sda posted:

Also this fucker is a charisma vacuum lol
i mean, that's what seems to make waves here like have you seen most famous pt comedians ie sinel cordes? my sophie's choice would be who to throw out of a bridge first nilton or sinel cordes

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Both sinel and nilton can work a crowd, they just have a bland personality beyond that.
That cds dude is some diacono remedios poo poo.
there's some hermano saraiva parody in it as well, esp those pauses

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
portugueses update, yesterday there was a anti racism march and joacine made a speech which had members of her (ex) party condemn her for hate speech
The speech in question was terse but mostly ammounted to "no anti fascists w/o anti racism" on a strict and aggressive black voice. Funny if this one gets admonished by the parliament unlike the actual cop lib

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I got a cousin who's a gen x lib, who occasionally he messages me with whatever dumb author to read about in response to marx like hitchens and stuff about how joacine's stoking racism. I just want to claw my face out cause it hurts me hearing him say those dumb things, given i was raised alongside my cousins

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I shouldn't be too surprised at PS but still am. Costa's grifting ability is honestly surprising, one day he's denouncing media and football racism and the next he's not plugging the merger.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
2020.jpg

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1232982963874336769

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

etalian posted:

Can we sure that the concentration camp float wasn't part of some new secret Sacha Baron Cohen TV show called "This is the EU"?

an entire season about various european nationalities telling stories about magic roma people and how they hate their neighbour nations because 200 years before they stole all the eggs

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
get ready for 2008 all over again

https://twitter.com/RomanWenzl/status/1242820030649249804

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
circa 2009/10 people were seriously considering leaving the eu here in portugal and honestly we should prob consider that again if they're going to try this bullshit again

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

genericnick posted:

The thing with the old crisis was that young people could still move north to find a job. If you do this poo poo when the borders are closed and the supply lines are collapsing anyway what is even the point of the EU?

I was fresh out uni when the crisis burst and even then moving north seemed a gambit; sure, you had way more jobs, esp in my field, but it was still a lot of holding out and see if the economy turned up
I really regretted not learning german on highschool then lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Dutch try to calm north-south economic storm over coronavirus
https://www.politico.eu/article/netherlands-try-to-calm-storm-over-repugnant-finance-ministers-comments/amp/

lol dutch minister not backing down, oh there's a storm coming alright

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's probably a marketing move, that way he avoids being called out and puts a buffer while this whole covid business plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
nicety to hide that the EU will basically do a repeat of 10 years ago, loans in exchange for more economical measures

welp. who wants to form a southern union