Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

I wouldn't mind research being a gamble if it didn't take so drat long to do. Without doing some weird cheesy stuff it's impossible to keep erudition and glimmering on hand during the entire research process to make sure you do it so you either have to time out generating more (and I have no idea how to generate guaranteed erudition while in the middle of research) or float it until you need it during research and hope you don't randomly need one you don't have and risk failure. So it should either be more reliable, or shorter so I can try again more quickly on failure.

There is a trick to producing such in about 10 seconds. Comissions give Erudition or Glimmering on hand in based on the lore type. But it does involve other verbs being free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Any big gotchas in the new shiny/scary legacies/victories? I'm not super into spoilers but the game is slow enough that I'm cautious.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can also Explore with Health to find places like Morland's.

Or if you are actually doing Detective work, maybe your reward for turning someone in could become a promotion. That might be nice for you.

EDIT : I thiiink there's a way of getting a Tempation if you burn the sealed evidence (or at least getting a new Sealed Evidence) but I forget.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. Steam discussions patch notes haven't been updated since feb4th. A little frustrating as they'd previous seemed very good at keeping it up to date.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you click the 'view files' or 'see saves' or whatever button you see the .txt file that is your save in the game directory. You can make copies and put them back in and all that. Or even fiddle with it I guess. So if you are worried about an apostle run, make a copy of the save at the start.

Also if you feel the game is being bad and wrong at you, ctrl + ` is the debug command. Easiest use is just spawning a desired card for yourself.

But yeah, the game is addicting but also not super concerned about your time. So make your own judgements on what is fair to do. Like stopping a magnet slot taking a card by holding in your cursor or some of the crazy tricks for stopping cards ticking down.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Does the game remember any of your lives besides the one immediately prior to your current one?

I elected not to do the new game plus option after my bright young thing/grail victory because I felt I hadn't really done justice to the lore (in terms of reading/understanding) being too busy trying to figure out the mechanics. I'm now playing a physician/lantern game and taking copious notes, but does that mean I can never play an apostle to my grail protagonist?

Not unless you backed up a save. You can back up saves. (And edit them and stuff, they are just text files called save.txt )

Remember debug mode if you get to a point of "I want to be able to do NG+ without spending hours grinding out a new win"

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

Downloaded it on my iPad, gave this game a try.

After several runs ended mostly by racking up too much dread, I think I’m in a good spot with my current run, but not sure where to go now.

I have a good stockpile of funds, but I’ve mostly been relying on 4-mystique paintings for income, not sure how much I should rely on that now that I actually started a cult which the det can bust me for. Bought out the supply of Mortland’s and the Auction shop, so it looks like I need to rely on expeditions from now on, but the only one I’ve tried so far was an expensive, dismal failure. Not sure what the endgame is either, besides ‘get more lore, smash lore bits together to make higher-tier lore, use lore for ???’

P.S. this game is mostly just making me wish there was a good tablet implementation of Liberal Crime Squad

Mystique can be helpful for making it less likely for Notoriety to get picked up. Or you can paint with the Notoriety if you want to play around with juggling timers.

General Advice :
There is a PAUSE. You can move cards and read text while paused. This is pretty important for most mortal players.
Look at your temptation to know your IC goal.
Click (tap?) on empty spaces to be told what kind of cards can go there. Took me ages to work out how to study a can of film until I looked and saw it just wanted funds to buy a projector, for instance.
Related to the above hint and Dread Use funds on Dream when you need to fight Dread.
Expeditions can be risky, Cultists are finite. Consider exploring them with more disposable beings, like hirelings. Boring number spoiler The relevant numbers for tests are, 1,5,10 for chance of success
Talk with your Cult and a follower in that order to see if you have what you need to increase their devotion and more importantly their usefulness to you.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It does produce mystique which is 'unwanted attention' but not serious. Weirdly, following rumours is more dangerous.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There was a time when he wasn't guaranteed to be your first investigator, but now he is, not messing with him directly is probably the safest bet. Which I think is kind of intentional?

But! If you get damning evidence and can't clear it sometimes it's safer to stop them being an investigator for the extra time before another is assigned. Or if you manage to convert him, he can have a good Forge value I think.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

Yep this certainly feels like the same "Story first, fun never/well maybe some fun" style of game design as the Sunless games. Could be reasonably fixed too. First as someone who hates organizing AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh make my stuff organized for me. Second, things I want to do over and over again (jobs, translation/reading) allow me to automate. Third the things that will kill me/want my interaction should be more obvious. Oh yeah and let me play whatever profession I want, seriously what the gently caress. I have spoken any disagreement is a flaw by those who think it.

Much like Sunless Sea/Skies I'm finding myself annoyed by the laser like focus on atmosphere/story everything else be damned.

I'd say more 'convenience be damned' but more because fun is pretty subjective. But yeah, even with the QoL changes (double clicking, the blue box of sending things to) since launch can't dispute your annoyances, other than to say they are partially there to evoke the feelings. You hate your job because you have to actually do it but need the money. You have to keep your 'life' organized yourself in a way that might look crazy to anyone else. You need to not get so obsessed about progress that you break yourself.

Honestly feels less bullshit that either Sunless' combat to me though. And if you are playing on mobile, don't know how the interface works there or if it has all the QoL stuff.

But yeah, game is weird and niche. A mod to make it more playable even if it made it less impactful would be cool, no idea if it's possible though.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I find it possible pulls a deeper trick. The risk is not madness or despair (they are manageable, though I kind of wish opium triggered health risks more often).

The theme and risk are obsession, things become dangerous when you are too tied up seeking your goal. You are too busy fixing a mirror or kidnapping someone to destroy evidence. Too busy trying to find a way to Port Noon to take care of your mental health. Too busy performing rites to maintain an income. Too busy playing Cultist Simulator to eat and drink and socialize. Maybe too meta on the last.

But yes, things are manageable. The game is beatable once you learn it, which is part of why I think the success rate caps out, to try and not make it always so sure as that. Considering the learning curve some people find though, I'm loathe to say the game should be harder or more dangerous.

Perhaps, it is better for someone with those concerns to not, say, find all the followers and buy all the books before trying to make progress, not make a huge nestegg of funds before seeking success. Speedrun strats, kind of. The NG+ legacies have a sprinkling of this but... I feel they are a bit too reliant on Port Noon.

EDIT : These are tired reflexive ramblings so sorry if I failed to actually address the points of the previous post.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
About the power of rival Longs. Sending minions (hirelings and summons are fine) can let you uncover information and delay their attacks. When the attack happens you often can send someone to foil it. If you do foil it, they will take you more seriously and become stronger. Eliminating them requires they become strong enough in one area to more openly trouble you. So, act as you see fit. mostly I chucked a spare Maid in the Mirror to slow down two types of attack.

EDIT : No DLC on mobile yet, IIRC.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Things like Rituals interfering with keeping an office job are pretty intentional. As is work both taking mental effort and you hating it.

Now, I will agree it would be a perfect thing to be able to tweak in a set of options, because I'd rather have someone enjoy a slightly muted experience to not being able to at all.

But mostly, don't do jobs you can be fired from, unless you plan to stick at them.

And, as is kind of my default on Cultist Simulator stuff : If it personally annoys you, use the debug menu to fix it. Just give yourself 200 funds or whatever.

EDIT : And I forgot my main point in posting. Someone is doing a Screenshot LP of Cultist Simulator.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888951

I've already realised I totally glazed over the first acquantance and dream as the doctor.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

treat posted:

I have copies both on Steam and on my phone with a combined play time of something like 40 hours, and I still haven't lost a game on either platform. It's so stressful, I can't help myself from pausing every few seconds. I'm pretty sure this will end with me getting arrested, and I welcome sweet release from this lore scrap combining grind.

Pausing all the time is the sensible way to play. Are you doing expeditions? Better books let you skip trying to combine lores.

In the end, Detectives don't get you arrested. Evidence does. Moth is an aspect that will try and deal with evidence by talking to a suitable card about the evidence.

If you feel you are just doing a slow grind, you are quite possibly stalling in place and not working towards your goal. If so, feel free to ask for tips here or in PM.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I need to give this another try thanks to the LP. My first run got past the Stag Door but got thoroughly stopped for lack of further (evident) goals there

Quick Hint : Using the Star Door to be in the Know, Work on your Desire. Then, continue to meet it's requirements in the Season of Ambition (or whatever the fishhook is).
Slightly longer part Once it gets high enough you will have to use it in a Rite (you might have noticed they all have a slot at the end for Desire). At this point you may need to hunt down powerful things to power the rite. Or visit Port Noon using the deepest secret histories, and (probably) get a book that teaches you a destructive method of enacting a rite that lets you use 6 things.

If you are dancing that's it's own beast.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Any links to said devstream?

EDIT : Thanks!

Tylana fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can always move into shutdown Morlands if you have a "This is an old card" hideout, I thiink. I did wiht my old save.

EDIT : Also Edge/Grail 5 is a decent success rate on Spider Gate keys.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Apostle (NG+) runs are... mostly about trying to work out what to even do. And keep a couple more plates spinning. I'd suggesting trying a Dancer or other normal victory. Or playing with some romance. But... there's a value and interest in just going for the NG+ run, maybe accepting failure as a possiblity.

You can open up the directory with your save data and make backups just by making a copy of the file if you want to be able to do the apostle run later without doing another normal run (though trying to do those fast is interesting!). Or if you want to be able to restart your Apostle run if you mess it up. And of course you can just debug mode to get an ending very fast if you really want to force it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

The same way you make a zombie. If you want the zombie romance achievements you need to have the reanimated corpse of your lover on the board when you finish your victory ritual. The zombie still only lasts 60 seconds like any other zombie so it's not possible to do this without freezing the card timer in some way like showing off your zombie to Sulochana or something while you work on the victory ritual.

IIRC, you can use the zombie ritual on a zombie to extend it, but I forget.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm also pretty sure zombies last longer than that, but it's been a while, I dunno.

EDIT : Wiki dive suggests I am wrong.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 21, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm pumped for the Priest DLC. I'm all about that Knock, like Jesus of Nazareth. Ghoul one might be fun too, I like Winter, though I don't care much for the Elegiast.

The devstream talks about the themes of the two were interesting.

If you want to watch yourself, but I'll leave it at that in case people want to explore them themselves when the time comes.

EDIT : Wiki suggests they do indeed only last 60s, so talking to something about them is a decent plan. I might suggest arranging your ascension, then the state of your lover in that order though.
Also, making them a prisoner ends the romance. So don't try it that way.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 21, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some time between now and then. Lores have qualities that tell you what they will need. Progress will not be lost , but it might make stacking cards harder.

EDIT : Snip. Sorry, bad day. Made be snarky.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I decided to try a Cult-less run. Still working on it, but only realised after buying out Morlands than I have no HQ because I have no Cult!

Going Power for ease of play. I guess Dancer is pretty doable though.

Edit : Also a Calgine ate a Reason on a failed summoning. I feel like a chump.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah. Can't get any prisoners though (I thiiiiink).

Map's Edge is more useful than Sunset, but you can also work commisions and use spinitrae as ingredients. And a Bomb Maker can fix things things (not sure about a summon though).

EDIT : I actually healed Hirelings. Had a 7 edge 2 knock guy, but welp, timers

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Cult-free run update : Got a Port Noon Anecdote. Got the one place that doesn't give Rite Intercalate. Bah.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The LP being run of it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888951 might help you understand what you are trying to do. Later at least, if not yet.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also consider just using the debug to spawn 3+ cards of the right type. Might also be able to spawn the suitable season but I just use it to spawn cards.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Man, I started Priest, and it's kind of cool. But also weird because I'm trying to work out what to do with Fervour and how that progresses my horrible doom/glory/etc.

Also if anyone can work out how to do the thing the game text says you can do with your cult one time cult change in that route, let me know.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Of course, I didn't look at the slot properly. Thank you!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do you get the Talk verb as Priest? I'm trying to start my cult and can't figure out how.

Do your job, remember what you promised the bishop about not bringing up certain subjects. Do it anyway. Get your congregation hyped up and keep going.

IIRC anyway. The first few steps are a bit of a blur and I can't go back and check easily.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ZeusJupitar posted:

Just Talk the cult card with the lore you want to refocus on.

Ah, the method tripped me up. In spoilers for any others struggling. Talk with the cult. Start with nothing in the slots. This starts a process where you can rededicate. I was trying to just convert an empty person slot and obviously not getting anywhere because start was greyed out. Also looks like you can rededicate to your current cult type.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Beware the new Staleness mechanic for art.

Also, Priest has taught me that I never before run out of money.

Time to debug 50+ funds away. Because reasons

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
For a long time it was only Douglas, I think patch before last allows you to recruit other detectives ONCE they become rivals. I don't think you can recruit while they are hunters.

For all rivals you need 21 instensity, and a Tool, which will be given to them and you will not get back. Paintings or other 8rank tools and a 14 rank lore will do the trick. I thiiiink how far advanced they are as your rival determines their power on recruitment, but not tested.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Priests get SOOOO many prisoners if you want them. And are a monster.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Is the tool you give them the one that gets used in the initiation or can it be any tool?

It is the one you use in the initiation.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, to start your cult is same as usual. Speak to an acquaintance

For progressing. You have a recipe, Study it. While you might find older things that could be ingredients, you might need something fresher for the first sip.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
No. it is just a temptation. Temptations are useful! You do not have to dedicate yourself or complete them.

EDIT : But, the priest's path is narrow and harsh. And selfless. If it is ever too hard, that Temptation is there for you, the player to decide.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Caidin posted:

Am I missing something in regards to Lock Scars? I know how you get them mostly even if there's probably a more elegant way of juggling the poo poo you need then my scattered brained rear end manages, got the Forge, Moth and Heart scars. But I keep trying to get Lantern, which I thought I needed to throw some erudition on the pile after the restlessness and it's just sending me out an injury, no scar and a couple pointed questions from Douglas after the usual post service exuberance.

As you have probably worked out The lore you use in the ceremony (with health, how you get fervour is not important) needs to align with the thing you use to scar yourself (click on that empty slot for the list of options). Edge and Grail make sense but might not be aspects on the card. Lantern Lore (of 10+, etcetc) should scar with Erudition. It was the first one I got.

Get high knock lore is probably still required at some point for Priest. Some locks need a lot of opening power.

If you want a Temptation as Priest (how selfish! ;P) Talk to your Cult, leave the slots empty and press start. You may now repurpose it to another or the same aspect, and will acquire a Temptation.)

Also if you want to start as a thing, just open up your save file and alter the bit at the top. It is like
"availablelegacies": {
"brightyoungthing": "brightyoungthing",
"priest": "priest",
"physician": "physician"

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

The Easy Rider posted:

Sort of a dumb question, but am I doing something wrong here (very early vanilla questions)? I spent like somewhere around 12 hours on a game, had a cult of around 12 members, lores of around 8-12 in all disciplines (and higher for Hidden History and Lantern), and sort of felt like I was making gradual progress (which I then proceeded to lose because I didn't know that there was a game-ending Visions timer until it already had two stacks, thought I was safe because I didn't see any more Visions, and then lost because I couldn't get a Despair card in time), and not realizing that saves were backed up (and being completely unashamed about restoring a back-up), started a new game as a Detective (which seems like it might be more fun when I have a better sense of what I'm doing in the mid-late game, but is currently just sort of confusing and stressful compared to being a physician). At that point, I had done somewhere around four missions, read all of the books available via the shop and auction house, had everyone as a second-tier cultist, knew Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, and some sort of ancient rat-scratch-like Latin, had maxed out all of the stats and had the highest-tier version of each skill, and had somewhere around 110 units of cash stored up. Are individual games supposed to last that long? Was I spending way too much time on early game stuff or something?

These are all useful things to do. But, they are not progress as such. It is kind of a matter of taste, admittedly. Your temptation is your way forward. How deeply have your dreamed?

On a more prosaic note, combining lores is okay, but you can also read better books hidden in more dangerous places. Money is nice, and it is worth keeping track of how you can get it, but you only need so much. That you can't auction off things while your minions explore is worth keeping track of though.

A warning for Detectives though. There are only so many people in London interested in the occult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

The Easy Rider posted:

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

As I'm just sort of flailing around as a detective at this point, is there a way to restart as a doctor again? That was already a fairly confusing time, and trying to balance that with a complicated job system seems like it's a bit much until I've figured out how the game actually progresses.

Well, accessing better doors is a much better way of getting better History fragments. Especially as you know, they are expendable. You need to unlock the Stag Door to Work on your Dedication and progress towards the endgame. (For most routes). Hint, the answers are around rank 6.

You could die. I think if you die of Health you are guaranteed doctor as an option, doctor is kind of easy mode as their work is so good and doesn't time. Being a Detective is kind of rough as you have a Rival usually. Though I should note, real jobs and leading a cult are not very compatible. Have you considered just getting promoted? A nice cushy office. Much nicer than peeling the skin from the world.

Lucinice posted:

Is there a way I can get ensure what influences I get? I'm trying to get a level 10 forge lore but I can't do much other than use the stag door and hope the RNG gives me what I need.

Influences won't help you get lore, generally? If you want stuff for rites The Mallery in the Spider's Door will provide much more powerful help IIRC. If you want to summon a certain friend and are a little short, Restlessness has 2 Forge and 2 Lantern. Which means you only need... an 8 forge lore and a knock Disciple.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 4, 2019