Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont really know if i understand fascination. i never actually see the card, the counter doesnt tell me anything and either it works itself it out or i die without really any options or feedback that i can figure out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i guess i understand that part, but i havent noticed like, a source of it. or a use for it other than dying. is it a penalty for something, or completely random? I think ive seen the card a single time but ive definitely died to it another time

also: why do i occasionally just become decrepit? i dont have the injury box in some weird place and the music usually changes, but sometimes i just lose a health without warning

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

does having a shitton of mystique make it harder to get investigated? i had like 10 of them and by the time the hunter burned them all, all my notoriety was gone

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i saw something about an auction house mentioned a couple places but i havent actually seen it except in the privileged life background. does it show up if im just a moron

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can easily just farm as much health as you want so its not really a big deal to spend it on whatever even if its lost

this game could really use shortcuts of some kind. it would be nice to bind an action to a button so i can just strength -> health -> start -> close window instead of making a bunch of mouse clicks for a pretty rote action

edit: i guess you can just use contentment for trappings

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 10, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

another q: i have a couple rites - how do i tell what i need to use them? is it just a card placement guessing game or is there some sort of "get this much aspect and use this item"

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there a limited number of nameless cultists? what happens if you kill everyone off?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its insane that you cant just make a stacking section for poo poo like mystique. i dont give a gently caress what the timer is and if i do ill mouse over it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

has anyone figured out a decent layout for everything? i just died in a dumbass way and i dont mind starting over but the prospect of re-organizing everything poorly is making me angry

if you have, just throw a pic out in spoilers. i dont care if i see a bunch of cards of proper nouns i havent discovered yet so dont worry about censoring it or whatever. id much rather stop having cards appear and gently caress up the position of everything constantly, etc

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is what I ended up with:

Rule 1: Anything new is going to appear in the middle, so that needs to be clear/home to temporary poo poo only; anything permanent goes to the sides
Rule 2: Put nouns near the verbs they usually go in. That's not always possible, because there's a lot of poo poo to store and only so much space. This means you have to spread the verbs out.
Rule 3: Stats are never going to be well-behaved. Reason especially seems to like dropping itself all over the place. Corral them in their own section and don't worry too much if it gets messy.

this makes a lot of sense. i was trying to be zoomed in more because at a certain point you cant really read things but i think that might be impossible after a while

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

which cults are good vs bad? lantern seems like garbage but it also seems like summons just do everything for you anyways

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the writing in this is a thousand times better than the writing in sunless sea. maybe he can also get better at game design (or just pay someone to do it)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

megane posted:

All he really needs to do is not require 8 clicks and a 60-second wait for every single action. Some things (e.g. buying books) should happen instantly, and others (doing your mundane job) should happen automatically unless you interrupt them. Painting is probably the worst since it takes a ridiculous number of clicks and drags and you have to do them all every single time you want to paint.

There are a couple of UI things that would be really nice, too, like making stats and mystique stack nicely, but those are marginal.

i think the wait for a lot of stuff (buying books) is good, but there are a lot of annoying pauses for stuff like auctions. i should be able to click a button to toggle auctions to always be magnets for funds, or toggle a magnet for inspiration for painting, etc

cards should always go back to where they started and if theres an overlap between them and a currently hidden box, i should be able to toggle visibility to fix that. cards shouldn't loving scatter everywhere, use opacity to show that there are multiple cards on a spot that need to be fixed. stuff like scholar cards could be an upgrade that you just apply to study and can click on when you drag the book to the box. i get that he wants to keep the card game feeling and so using cards is important (so nothing cna be truly automated), but a lot of things are annoying busywork

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

TheBlandName posted:

It's intended because advanced painting explicitly warns you about that applying to any notoriety you use while painting.

Also summoned minions can be "Talked" to about literally any card (even though they only respond to a handful) so keeping a familiar around to preserve your Contentment, prevent an Illness from progressing, or provide Erudition during research is pretty dope.

is this not true anymore? i cant even talk to heart minions about notoriety and i thought they were supposed to dispose of it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh, i misread that, im dumb. thank you

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i feel like you probably arent supposed to spend two years of your life on the board at glover and glover but its better money than painting and should lock down that section of the game for me at least

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ya, but the board job gets worse every time you get demoted, so if youre gonna just grind out 500 funds or whatever you might as well do it efficiently. it counts as one notoriety absorbed - which makes it longer to execute. at least its 50s at the start and goes to 60s after you get caught/demoted and promoted once

its good though in that you can actually just juggle it and another thing

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 13, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there another practical way to earn a living other than painting and glover and glover? i know you can do commissions and sell that stuff, but thats not really useful early game

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

did they stop making up dumbass spellings of words as proper nouns

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

my prisoners kept dying before i used them

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

that guy is just there to give you impetus to create a prisoner/play risky or whatever instead of hoarding every person

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dunno, it feels like a pretty mundane cult overall. everything can be understood

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont know that this game ever becomes difficult (past your first deaths to evidence, fascination and dread), so anything that isnt lantern just takes a bit longer

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

what dream stuff can you even sell? the iotic essence and...

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

fuel and supplies are fine. just make them decay at a proportional rate and increase ship speed

thankfully his writing has changed from taking every noun, adding 2 zs an a q and changing it to a proper noun to something a little more tolerable

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Feels to me that once you start getting ascension marks the game should get rid of the mundane management stuff like Dread and Fascination.

yeah, but they should probably add something else. honestly the last 20% of this game is a bit of a drag, but im guessing thats what they're fixing up next

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i see people recommending modding sunless sea to be less boring and that makes a ton of sense, but why does everyone mod supply and fuel usage away? theres zero challenge to the game if you do that

Cantorsdust posted:

It's really hard in the vanilla game to capture ships because they have to take enough damage to kill their crew without sinking. In > 100 hours of play I never did it vanilla. This mod will replace the ship sinking event with the ship capturing one and give you the option to capture ships. Fair warning--it pays probably a game-breakingly large amount of money because the designers never had to balance the rewards (because no one ever got them).

i remember capturing ships in vanilla but i dont really recall how. i know the card game let you roll 50/50 against your crew just sailing off with the ship and it wasnt a worthwhile gamble, but i thought i'd done it in the new version as well

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

do gold spintria have a value beyond silver other than selling?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the weary detective is my friend, do not disrespect him

i like that if i as a detective talk to the enemy once i immediately start getting investigated by my own co-workers but if i the bad guy talk to a detective i immediately give him a precursor to evidence

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i feel like i had a full inventory of tools and junk just from exploring, did you never get anything from your raids?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can hold cards in an active box indefinitely as well

Oldstench posted:

Thanks. I figured I was missing stuff.

Also, this UI is trash. Really wish there was a 2d option.

a lot of my card organization problems were solved when i loaded up the beta and turned on the 1/4 card snap to grid option

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ive beaten the game but the two of you above me i do not understand what you're referencing

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can easily get four notoriety and paint with only those four indefinitely and never have to worry about detectives loving you over as long as they're in use

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah. i guess in my games i tend to just work until im super wealthy and never deal with that poo poo again

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can cheat by holding the card while the timer searches for it and i think you can use it by throwing it into painting. that wont get rid of it but it should give you some more time

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i beat this game very shortly after it was released. other than some annoying UX quirks and maybe a bit of tedium, i really enjoyed it. for some reason i own the dancer DLC (i dont think i played it). is it worth playing again now, has it gained enough content through that and patches, or would it be a good idea to wait a bit more

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i beat this game on release, a year ago or whatever - are each of the roles different/interesting enough that i should just play the game standard again and then do the DLC or should i start with one of them?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

if i go into an apostle game blind am i just gonna die and have to do a normal game again or can i restart as apostle

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Tylana posted:

Mostly of the Apostles are too dangerous immediately. I had trouble with early Grail Apostle because I thought I'd tried something I hadn't. Now the summons killing the big threat bug is fixed it might be a little squeakier on succeeding than before if you are fumbling about.

If you die as an apostle you do not get a retry (though you can click Restart Game or whatever in the Esc menu to restart the run). Feel free to backup your saves or edit them though.

Two minor hints for Apostle :

You will need multiple things from Port Noon, I think for all three of them.

It is obtuse and confusing. Don't feel too bad about asking or looking up hints.

cool, thanks

something that wasnt in the game last i played is this. i know regular lore merging is still in but scholarship being useful for this is not something i recall

is there some way i can turn lessons into better lore with this? seems expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ahh cool. yeah i'll probably do that