Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

When you see a white person refer to another white person as brother, its guaranteed they're a chud.

Uh huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This dude is frustrating to watch because his fuckin microphone is in the wrong place so the camera every so often autofocuses on it and makes everything blurry as poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Any popular guntuber besides Karl of InRangeTV should be assumed to be a huge loving chud.

Uh huh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s this guy again,

https://youtu.be/AYHeKwSN2bc?si=U5x4_jwXrPNakWHr

Monoprice emailed me a response lol

I’m probably not gonna watch that dudes video because he kinda annoys me but I’m inclined to side with monoprice since I’ve been using them for a decade + at this point.

Edit: it also looks like he uses a filter on his face in that thumbnail which is kinda cringy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

LTT actually did a reasonably scientific test of whether high refresh rate makes a difference and they found that it does, but returns dimish after 144 Hz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

Citation needed for it being remotely scientific in the slightest

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

It was done blind (test subjects did not know which refresh rate they were using) and they collected actual data about the test subject's accuracy in various tasks that required aiming with a mouse. By LTT standards, and I think by Youtube standards in general, it's very scientific, though it has an admittedly small sample size.

Honestly I’m sure it was I just don’t trust anything LTT does.

Personally I definitely notice the difference between 60 and 120 but beyond that :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

No they are pretty bare bones but they do have a hatch on top!

You shouldn’t talk about your mom like that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The iPhone should have survived that but :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I think he used a galaxy fold so that's probably why a dip bricked it

Lmao owned.

That thing doesn’t have basic waterproofing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

This happens in the handheld PC and emulator handheld part of Youtube all the time now and I hate it. If it's not the final product people are going to buy why are you reviewing the drat thing.

Tbf some of them call it a first look vs a review.

I get your point though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GN also put this poll up and I had a good laugh at it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

I was shocked listening to a podcast at the fact that Valhalla was the most successful game in the series so far. I was also shocked that they're selling Mirage for the price every microtransaction filled AAA game should still be, £45 since it's apparently intended as a smaller scale game. That's still apparently 20+ hours.

Mirage was supposed to be DLC for Valhalla lmao

Obviously not the full game as it is now but that’s how it started and why it’s such a smaller scale

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

I keep getting served recommendations about some YouTuber named Sssniperwolf. Apparently, she has a lot of subscribers and doxxed someone?
I keep pressing the "Not interested" button, and YouTube keeps recommending more and more videos about the controversy. Excellent algorithm, YouTube!

Yeah if you go to YouTube not logged in she’s like one of the top channels on the front page.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

I went down the rabbit hole a bit, and apparently, another long-time YouTuber got sick of her poo poo and called her out, making a channel called JJJacksfilms and then posting videos of him reacting to her reaction videos that are so predictable that he made bingo cards for his videos. This made her angry enough to Doxx him. To be fair, I would also be upset if a YouTuber made millions stealing videos and posting them as their own with a few "reactions" on top of it and no accreditation.

That’s actually hilarious. All of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love the YouTube recommendations because how else am I going to find another warhammer 40k lore channel?

I found the David Attenborough one that way and it rules.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

David Attenborough has a WH40K channel?

Well he did have one that had like 200k subscribers but it looks like it got nuked.

It was essentially this

https://youtu.be/dB6uWwL565s?si=RXUIE50pcIRwygFy

It loving ruled.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One super loving annoying thing is when a video gets delisted or removed or whatever it completely nukes the entry from your watch history. It should IMO at least leave the title there because it legit drives me nuts trying to go back through my history trying to find a video I know I watched only for it to be completely gone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

wow only $15 a month to be constantly recommended mr beast and linus videos thank you google what a bargain

I don’t get any of those.

Edit: only the free loaders get those

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I haven’t had an issue once I say not interested in something ever seeing that channel again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe the algorithm thinks you really aren’t sure how they work after watching the first one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flagrama posted:

It was 10 bucks a month. $10/mo is my limit for paying for a website that does not result in me getting more money from using it, so I ended up canceling the moment the price hike was announced.

VPN to India and pay like $3 then :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slidebite posted:

I don't see much of a difference firing up a VPN or taking 5 seconds to update ublock before hitting Youtube :shrug:

Premium works on every platform. I can’t block ads on everything I use to watch YouTube

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

What platform aren't you able to block ads on? I mean I get that it's convenient to just sub to Premium and be done with it. It's pretty easy to find a way around them on almost anything today.

iPad (using the app) Apple TV. I don’t think you could block the ads on a Roku either.

Sure I could probably use YouTube in Safari with an adblocker and then cast it to the Apple TV but it’s real nice to just pick the tv remote up and scroll around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's an entire industry called data brokering, which is dedicated to collecting and selling/licensing data to third parties.

Mind you, the industry is older than the internet is - but it's never been turning a bigger profit than it is now.

Yeah it’s huge money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some dumb fucker wouldn’t shut up about lasik in the VR thread and the next time I go on YouTube I got two different videos on LASIK.

It’s almost impressive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I am so horny for men and I'm a hot single mom in your area and I want to hook up I want to find single men in my area single men hook up sex tinder grindr milf sex sex my holes

I swear to god….

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I am so horny for men and I'm a hot single mom in your area and I want to hook up I want to find single men in my area single men hook up sex tinder grindr milf sex sex my holes

So it didn't do anything on my iphone but I'm on a computer now so fingers crossed!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nowher posted:

Great, now they're putting in lovely F2P mobile games into YouTube.

Who asked for this poo poo....?

What do you mean?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this is kinda wild to me but a 6 loving hour Eve online documentary dropped last night and when I looked it had 450k views 14 hours in.

https://youtu.be/BCSeISYcoyI?si=S_LNo9-gmhsAlGRm

How are views actually counted on YouTube? That’s something I’ve never actually seen anywhere.

The first 45 min of the video are a pretty good look into how the game came about at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

It's his first video in 2 years so there's some pent up demand for his content

Ok that makes more sense.

It’s not a bad video but I’m not sure if I care for his cadence.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL that stupid video made me want to log into eve again. I never played it hardcore but I enjoyed messing around with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nowher posted:

These deep dive videos are great to fall asleep to.

I absolutely agree with this. I started the fallout one linked above a few weeks ago and I make it about 10 min before I’m out like a light.

Tbh I do find the content interesting though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I always feel a little bad when I come across a channel that has videos with a poo poo load of views but the actual channel has like 1/10th of the subscribers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

I'm the only person who needs to access my systems, so I just use Parsec on Macs and PCs. I don't have a great option other than tailscale + platform-specific stuff if you need a team though.

I love parsec because it also does game streaming fuckin amazingly as well as the other stuff.

It’s stupid easy to get up and running too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

god please help me posted:

As someone who needs to long distance help my mom out with a tech issue, parsec is sounding pretty nice.

The only thing better is the way Apple built in Remote Desktop into iMessage.

I have to log into my dad’s Mac way too often and it’s so incredibly easy on both ends.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

For occasionally tech help, I think windows' built-in remote assistance thingy is pretty good. Don't have to install anything, and the steps to initiate it from the helpee's side are very straightforward. I've used it several times to help out my mom who is several states away.

You wouldn't want to use it for anything else, but for remote tech support it's pretty good.

Has it gotten better? When I tried it it was a phenomenal failure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really wish I knew that parsec doesn’t have an iOS client before I installed it on all my computers. Dammit.

Anyway what’s the go to Remote Desktop with an iOS client?

Splashtop works well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might be a silly question but is it possible to have a video on YouTube be completely ad break free? Or is that something that YouTube does on its own no matter what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol ok I should have specified this is a video someone has uploaded for people to view. Like monetization free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No, even if you try and disable all monetisation you can’t stop YouTube slapping ads on it.

That’s what I figured. That’s dumb and bad.