Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

So what was up with the Madison posts being deleted from Reddit?

Mass reported and taken down by an automated system, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SpartanIvy posted:

Everything has to be tempered glass now and cutting nice holes in glass is expensive

The algorithm pushed me a video of some guy rebuilding his PC in this case (Meshroom S) which I'd never heard of but I really like it because it's sized to be not much bigger than an ATX mobo, and it has the option to mount a long GPU vertically.
https://ssupd.co/products/new-meshroom-s

I have the Meshlicious by that same company and it is pretty great, though I have it hooked up to an external radiator. The GPU hangs vertically in this case, too. The entire case being mesh really helps with airflow. Though, since my build is water cooled, I'm tempted to buy glass side panels just to show off the RGB.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I will say that those cases benefit very heavily from custom cabling so that you can shorten all the cable runs so that they don't get in the way of air flow or even just fan placement. There really is not much room in there.

Also, if you install a long GPU in the Meshlicious or the Meshroom S, you will need a right-angle video out cable or taller feet to avoid a severe bend in that cable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Is there an RPG/action game that is a large, randomly generated area and not hand crafted?

Does Diablo 2 count?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It’s mostly fine now with the recent AGESA updates, tbh. Even full retraining takes much less time, now. Like 30 seconds.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

apatheticman posted:

Youtube serves ads and videos from the same IP addresses so DNS blocking doesn't work iirc.

And then there is dns-over-https which can sidestep that stuff entirely, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gradenko_2000 posted:

what was even the reason for firing the content manager?

Failure to meet revenue goals.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sagacity posted:

As I mentioned upthread, I used to use AdGuard for Android which creates a local VPN that routes all your traffic. This way, you can get adblocking for a lot of stuff on Android, including Chrome. It really hogs battery though (on the level of having to charge my phone in the early evening vs. having battery left when going to bed).

I've switched to using NextDNS which works less well but still blocks enough ads to be very useful. The benefit of using a hosted DNS provider versus something like a self-hosted PiHole is that my ads are still blocked when I'm not on my WiFi at home, but the battery doesn't get drained like with AdGuard for Android.

It still feels weird to pay for a service like this so any suggestions for setting up PiHole in such a way that all mobile devices in the family can use it (even from mobile or on other WiFi networks) is welcome. Well, a way that doesn't expose it to randos, I mean.

You would need to setup a VPN connection to your home network. Then your family would use a VPN client on their mobile devices to dial back home.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fil5000 posted:

I think anyone with a steam account from 2004 got it for HL2, no one signed up just to get... God what was even on there other than HL2 at the time? Ragdoll Kung Fu?

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, iirc. And maybe an action Might and Magic game?

I got mine long before that so that I could continue to play Natural Selection and CS. They shut down the WON servers and transitioned to Steam servers long before HL2 came out, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

simmyb posted:

gd NS1 was so fun / hectic

still my favorite multiplayer game of all-time. i guess tf2 is second.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Branch Nvidian posted:

I, for one, and excited for my literal thousands of dollars worth of blu-rays to be completely useless in about 10-15 years.

Like I'm sure others have said, this is one of the reasons I got a NAS.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arivia posted:

You say this, but the thing I have on my coffee table to rip is Homicide: Life on the Street and DVD rips are as good as that's gonna get right now. Not available for streaming!

Speaking of, does anyone have a good guide to ripping DVDs into discrete episodes? (I'm in Canada, this is a completely legal request here.)

I just use MakeMKV. I flashed my drive with LibreDrive (more info) using this guide and it gets around region locking and various file encryptions schemes as well as increasing the max read speed of my drive. A lot of this may only be necessary for BluRays, though. Not sure.

In any case, MakeMKV does not do any transcoding. It rips the exact files off the disc (but decrypted). You can use Handbrake afterwards to transcode to whatever format or compression you want. MakeMKV also lets you pick out which audio and subtitle tracks you want to rip, too. Removing languages you don't care about is a great and easy way to save a lot of drive space.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

priznat posted:

I like the idea of augmented reality but anything more intrusive than a somewhat chonky pair of hornrimmed glasses seems like a non starter.

This is what is keeping me from VR, tbh. That and all the space needed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Best thread in the sub-forum, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah my too-large collection of lovely anime are all in their original cases, stored on shelves, away from any windows. They'll probably be fine for a long time unless they were just manufactured poorly. I should probably still digitize them for the sake of back ups and having them available through plex or something.

Anime doesn't take up as much space as live-action recordings so your storage needs won't be quite as steep if that is primarily what you are backing up. They compress much better.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thanks Ants posted:

Aren't some of the iFixit guides written by random contributors rather than staff? Some of the guides venture into trying to be funny or having a really long preamble like every recipe website, which can gently caress off.

I thought the majority of guides were community written?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Wouldn't be surprised if it cuts down on coil whine, depending on what components it is put on.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wild EEPROM posted:

I wonder how all the common podcast advertised products actually are.

Squarespace
Nordvpn
Rocketmoney
Raycons
Factor meals
Athletic greens
The ball shaving one
Vessi shoes
Ridge wallet

My mom got me a Ridge wallet for a birthday/Christmas gift this year. I like it more than a normal wallet because of how much smaller and more compact it is. It's not as stylish as a traditional leather wallet, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not sure if this totally fits the thread but it is still really cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTWtzWav8I

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

I don't want to poo poo in the comment section but the machines he used in the video don't rely on bios or smm for their tricks. They use the UEFI extensions to insert boot graphics with daystarter, much like the windows or ubuntu rotating loading indicator (ACPI BGRT). Neither of those two custom applications support unicode or emoji, you will get the usual squares.

UEFI extensions can pause the Windows bootloader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Just Another Lurker posted:

Yep, i don't need the anxiety i would get from just thinking about potential water leaks. :ohdear:

The AquaComputer LeakShield works very well at removing that worry: https://shop.aquacomputer.de/Water-Cooling/Leak-testing-prevention/LEAKSHIELD-leak-prevention-system-standalone::4063.html

It's... not cheap, of course. But it works!

Their marketing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiRv0nDch0