Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Is the LTT Labs thing just a running joke and/or some kind of money laundering scheme at this point? It feels like he announced it 2+ years ago and it seems all they’ve done is buy several buildings and do nothing other than shuffle some folding tables around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

speaking of which, GN still haven't done anything with their fancy fan tester either

I at least trust GN’s track record. And Steve even outright said it would take years before they would ever even start to see a return on investment with it. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re benchmarking stuff with it but need to collect way more data before they feel comfortable talking about stuff.

hobbesmaster posted:

They needed a new building because tech Jesus rented a new space, got fancy new equipment and ripped Linus a new one for being an idiot about backpack warranties.

This may not be true but it sure feels right :v:

That feels very accurate.

The initial Labs announcement felt, to me at the very least, like he had maybe tried to buy GN out and got turned down, so he decided to make a competitor. That could be way off base from reality, but it’s the vibe I got off it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 1, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

He would have taken care of it. Should have trusted him, bro.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Phone posted:

It’s fun OP

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kliras posted:

why is he posting through it on the official forums. i mean, i get why it's not surprising, but surely luke is somewhere pulling his hair out

I'd say one has to wonder why Luke has continued to put up with Linus and his bullshit all these years, but it's pretty obvious that the money is more important to him than setting any kind of standard of integrity.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Romes128 posted:

content is ok when the smart people are on camera.

unfortunately that's not the case in most ltt videos.

Emily decided to step back from being on camera, so it's not the case in any ltt videos anymore honestly.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

JayzTwoCentz has posted a comment on the video in support of Steve, be very funny if the "Techtuber" world hard splits in two over this. Maybe we get a Broadway dance fight between Steve, Aussie Steve and Jay vs Linus, Paul Hardware and someone else I only know 5 channels. Hardware Canucks maybe.

Paul's buddy who used to be "Awesome Sauce Network," the Science Studio guy, or Optimum Tech. Maybe Daniel Owen or Dawid, but those guys seem chill.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Wendell would be on Team Steve as well, which means we need to find the opposite of Wendell for Team Linus.

Maybe some YouTuber who still uses hacked together pirated versions of Windows 7 and has to reformat weekly to clear out the malware because he still refuses to upgrade.

Whatever happened to the guy Wendell used to work with when it was Tek Syndicate? He gave off real chud rear end in a top hat vibes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My favorite part of the video is where at ~3:30, Steve points out that when you try to go from a "just entertainment" channel to a data driven 'real' tech channel, you need to actually do poo poo properly.

Linus has made millions being a clown, and has cornered the tech clown market. Why the gently caress does he want to be a serious tech analysis place? Nobody goes to his videos for that. He really is just a little Elon.

I'm still convinced Linus wanted GN's slice of the market and Steve turned down a buyout, so Linus decided to try to compete and push GN out, but since Linus is just a clown, he has no idea how to actually do it. I have no evidence of this happening, but it's my personal conspiracy theory.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You mean after they're done analyzing it to steal Billet's IP, right?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

Linus basically tried that to defend the myriad of methodological fuckups Steve pointed out as basically, 'we're still new at this, it's ~growing pains~'.

Also keep in mind that Linus announced the Labs thing back in early 2022. They've had a year and a half to establish testing guidelines and standards, and seemingly they just haven't. He's got an entire division of people, some allegedly poached from inside the industry, giving him test data that someone could do sitting in their den. Daniel Owen, for whatever you may think of him, is literally doing exactly that and his results seem to have a higher standard than what LTT is using.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I keep coming back to thinking that maybe Linus sees himself as basically Tech Bro Steve Jobs, in which case, does hiring a CEO to replace him make this his John Sculley moment?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The fact that he lied about having already come to an agreement with Billet is pretty egregious. He knows GN was in contact with Billet. How did he think he was going to get away with that lie?

I love that companies/people continue to make this mistake after GN puts them on blast about something.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

priznat posted:

“Good news! It’s not just sitting on a shelf somewhere! It is being reverse engineered by your competitors!”

No worries there, remember it's a bad product that no one should buy, so no one will want to reverse engineer it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Charles Leclerc posted:

lol BitWit has a Floatplane channel

Reminder that he called his ex-wife "wifeysauce."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQx-EHMPk0g

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

He has like one, maybe two, headshots for his thumbnail images.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lotta farts getting huffed in this screenshot.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

whatis posted:

if my bank fucks up i don't call their number to ask how they're doing and let them know ill be there for them if they need me.

Have you considered that maybe you should?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The too blurry; couldn't read it:

Poster hopes GN learns from this debacle and improves their methods.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Icept posted:

Funniest move would have been for GN to reach out for comment from LMG, but done from some incognito identity like when they review pre-built PCs from Walmart.

Beve Sturcke finally returns.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That sure is one hell of a take.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pay me $60k a year to hit Linus with a newspaper every time he starts to open his mouth.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

Make it one of those fans you see in Japanese slapstick comedy.

Only if I get to yell "Linusu no baka!!!" every time.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, who the gently caress is Dr. Ian, and why should anyone give a poo poo about what they think?

gradenko_2000 posted:

used to be a writer (senior leadership?) for Anandtech, but has struck out on his own. His YouTube channel is TechTechPotato

Oh. Second part of my question still stands though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cantide posted:

Yes, also i'm not saying she doesn't need or deserve help. Obviously she doesn't seem ok as she makes entirely clear in her own statements. Still right now I would not believe either side without corroborating witnesses/evidence.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hey, go gently caress yourself

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You know, Madison really should have reached out to Linus for comment about this before posting those tweets. This is poor journalistic practice.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Ahead of his time.

All of this coming out is, sadly, pretty unsurprising coming from a guy who hosted his own roast to celebrate how big and influential he is. I already didn't like LTT, but sometimes found an interesting video and the thrice-a-week tech news videos were informative, but with the GN videos and now the allegations from Madison I don't think I'll be able to watch anything of theirs outside of how they fail to handle this whole thing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vic posted:

lol they hosed over Billet Labs again with the apology video

Those 2000 pounds they wanted to keep private.

Yo! Better work on that apology video production pipeline folks!

There is something uniquely funny about making an error/mistake while responding to outcry over your errors/mistakes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Of course they monetized the apology video. Lmao
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1691770919461478862

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

jfc i just remembered having an employee edit a video of him walking around his house butt rear end naked

Yeah, I thought about that when that video originally went up, but I guess like my brain convinced me that he was wearing underwear and the strawberry emoji was just there was a joke. I now realize that he probably was just stark-rear end naked and some probationary employee in the editing department had to do that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

At least I can take solace in knowing I don't have to unsubscribe from LMG channels. (because I was never subscribed in the first place)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lister posted:

Madison's story is the kind of bombshell information that can be discovered by interviewing current or former employees. If GN had reached out to her for her story, even anonymously, it would have been so much more affective than pulling quotes out of context. That's the kind of investigation I wish they'd done. Maybe they'll talk to a lot of people for a follow up video, but I worry that unless it's put in a video by a major channel that it's going to be unseen by the larger youtube audience.

I know the forum motto is :justpost: but for the love of God just loving stop.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

How do so many managers need to have the following explained to them: If you have the power to fire people, DO NOT JOKE ABOUT FIRING THEM. Jesus Christ the bar is so low.

Remember when the pilot episode of The Office (US) aired in 2005 and it was extremely cringy and bad looking on Michael Scott when he tells Pam she's fired "as a joke." And 18 years later people still haven't learned.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

It's a twitter / elon musk joke, not a joke about firing people.

I know that's what the joke was referencing, but it still stands that if he was going to make a Musk/Twitter 2.0 hardcore joke he could have used one of the other things Musk said that didn't involve firing employees. Or just not made the joke at all since it wasn't particularly funny.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

power crystals posted:

This is the man who had his own staff help him move house rather than hire actual movers.

And then made a whole big public deal out of how one of the guys scuffed the floor.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

power crystals posted:

Wasn't that from a channel superfun thing, not a part of the move? That whole channel is (was?) its own kind of weird but I thought that happened as an after the fact thing where they were just trying to gently caress with Linus and didn't pay attention to what they were doing, rather than a direct consequence of him being cheap about moving.

Maybe it was. Like all of that seemed to happen around the same time, so maybe I'm mixing them up or conflating them.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

grack posted:

Just hire someone to follow Linus around all day and give him a smack every time he tries to type something.

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of candidates

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pay me $60k a year to hit Linus with a newspaper every time he starts to open his mouth.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yvonne must really love Linus, because holy poo poo the money can't be worth it enough to stick around.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Yes, obviously everyone who is not cut out to be a CEO is an awful person who is terrible to be around and has no redeeming qualities. Slick CEOs are well noted as being the best spouses.

Uh, what?

quote:

There are some seriously funny posts in this and the GPU thread over the past few days. Linus is a dink but just LOL if you think you wouldn't be at least 90% as bad if you stumbled into as much success as he has.

The guy has a severe case of foot-in-mouth, and has every single time some poo poo has come up regarding LMG, from Trust Me Bro to posting his full sexual history with names to how the GN coverage is being handled. That's what I was commenting on, not because he was the CEO. I'm suggesting she clearly has to love him because the money couldn't make up for how often and severely he makes an rear end of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

totally could have been real during the peak funny-money period we were just in

probably wasn't a real $100 million cash or like-cash payment straight up. if it was he'd have been incredibly stupid not to have taken it. if it was at all real I'd guess the $100 million was just the headline / acquisition value and Linus would only have gotten that payout if LMG turned into Disney or some poo poo.

In his video about it he claimed it was 60% cash and 40% stock.