Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nitr0 posted:

I wouldn't really call this "extremely qualified"

X00% is a pretty significant increase, you gotta give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

a while ago, when some unionization activity was in the news (I think it was the Amazon union stuff?), Linus + Luke got a WAN Show question about unions and whether they'd support one at LMG, etc, and their response wasn't completely awful but it was also pretty clear that neither of them were keen on it.

They did point out that a lot of the worker protections/etc that US workers are fighting for are established law in Canada and already apply to Canadian businesses, but then Linus was also like "I would hope that we run a good and open enough company that they wouldn't have to (unionize), and that if anybody had a problem that they feel comfortable enough talking to me or Luke or Yvonne."

Demonstrating he just doesn't understand what the point of a union is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought his excuse was, "well, it's still a bad product, so there's no reason to retest it because we don't want to encourage anyone to buy it".

Yep, the purpose of the review was to convince people it was too expensive to be worth it, and it is so it doesn't matter how much poo poo he did wrong

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Also remaining silent lets the whole thing fade into the background. I assume someone is stationed next to linus smacking his hand with a ruler whenever he reaches for a keyboard or phone.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

to avoid clicking through here's what they posted:

That's... that's a lot of errors that are very basic. Like, a single pass from a proof reader would have avoided most of them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

They really need someone to just... read these things.

The data is correct, they just wrote the wrong thing in the videos. The original data is just off screen, being right

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Is asmongold the guy who used to wipe the blood from his gums on the wall above his bed before he got up every day? And who generally lives in a pit of filth?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Airconswitch posted:

Scurvy, presumably

Dude just doesn't eat fruit and veg so his gums are a loving nightmare, yeah.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

slidebite posted:

Wait, LTT actually does car reviews? I thought that was a joke. Why would anyone care what he thinks about cars.

That said, I would however watch Jeremy Clarkson review computer hardware.

He started his career reviewing Amstrad games so he might have something useful to say hahahaha no he'd just bolt a supercharger to a DH-15 somehow and drive the PC tower around the nurburgring

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

People taking pay cuts to work a "dream job" for a big name respected figure in their industry is a thing, and one that gets regularly exploited

Do you think anyone that has a job doing actual real lab testing would consider working for The Funny Tech Fail Man their dream job?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't that Mike Pence

No, Pence is the one that calls his wife mother, there's no implication that he's interested in loving either of them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don't know anything about cars but I just googled that and it looks nice, if eye-wateringly expensive. (The best paint job is another 8.5k CAD!)

That's a Merc thing in general, everything is an option and all options cost $Texas

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Before being aware he was a gun weird, I gave up on 8 bit guy because EVERY VIDEO had about 40% of it devoted to the retrobriting process. Like, we know dude, you put them in the stuff, you put the tubs on your driveway because you're in texas and there's sunshine, you rinse the stuff off, I don't need to see it in full every time you get a new device in your collection.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

There's a subset of people who watch retro tech channels for something kind of like ASMR - the footage/process of retrobriting or recapping a board is a calming, important part of a video to them. I wouldn't be surprised if 8bitguy was appealing to that crowd.

He might be aiming for them but he sure as gently caress doesn't have a soothing voice. LGR, RMC, Techmoan and even guys like Perifractic are way easier to listen to if that's what people are after. Originally he was just one of only a few prominent guys doing this stuff but the space has been comfortably filled by loads of people doing it better and without breaking rare prototypes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I think he used a galaxy fold so that's probably why a dip bricked it

The fold has been IPX8 rated since the 3, so it ought to have been ok for half an hour of being submerged at that depth.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ultraklystron posted:

lol Linus' phone poll on Reddit has been hijacked, and it looks like might end up with LG Wing.

The main villain in Blue Beetle has an LG Wing at one point and I really had to commend the prop master both for remembering it existed and picking something flashy but pointless for her.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

watho posted:

netflix should try that for a mostly super mediocre crime show!

You mean that black mirror episode they did? I thought that was pretty good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Thoughtslime is/was friends with illuminaughtii and has generally gone right off the deep end, including accusing people of running sex cults.

I feel like if you're going to talk about someone being an absolute poo poo house you should maybe include some examples of the shithousery.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sorry yeah, I think Illuminaughtii's bullshit is well documented at this point, it was stuff like "Thoughtslime is accusing people of starting sex cults" that I thought needed sourcing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

They came out as non-binary at some point, started using the name Mildred and any/all pronouns.

https://youtu.be/fPWkkP3LtEk?si=sSzn_dYP9bMNodbg

I think randalor was talking about illuminaughtii, the whole conversation there got snarled up and at cross purposes for a bit

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

Jre is a weird putz. Not sure why he has such a large following. I skimmed the vid and he basically is going to sue some company because they “stole” some designs and then build wheelchairs?

And then put some sewer pipe in the backyard for ww3?

Blech.

I mean they literally stole the designs. There's in jokes and quotes and stuff on the JRE/dbrand skins and those jokes and quotes are replicated exactly on the Casetify skins. They've been caught out by the skin equivalent of trap streets on maps, it's really dumb because those things are basically the ONLY thing that makes JRE/dbrand's skins identifiable as theirs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Klyith posted:

When I want to send email I fill the person's email address into the "subscribe to comments" feature on a youtube video, then write my message as a comment.

This is the Internet age version of cutting up newspaper headlines to collage into a ransom note.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A good poster posted:

Civvie11's month of TNT Evilution shorts for April Fools was a pretty novel use of the format.

Only because he was largely making fun of the format while doing it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I ended up zoning out on hbomber’s Somerton stuff mostly because it was part 3 (I think) of similar content in a long rear end video and I ended up just skipping through. Thankfully Todd is going in a different direction so I can pay better attention

I assume it's so extensive with so many examples so Somerton can't just apologise for like two things or claim they've been misrepresented and move on. I agree it's a lot of the same thing over and over but I guess if your goal is to make them stop doing this you have to provide enough proof that it's structural failings rather than individual errors.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, I seriously doubt Sony would be doing this if Warner/Discovery weren't making them. Pretty much every digital storefront has the ability these days to stop selling you something while still letting you download it if you paid for it already. Mostly because most companies recognise that while it might be completely legal to do what Warner's doing here it is likely to make people stop buying your digital stuff.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Was probably most peoples here - what was yours, in the 80s?

Mine was a Vic-20. Don't worry though I had the 8k ram expansion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

priznat posted:

:hfive: cassette drive bois

DATASETTE, man. Call it by its name

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Terrified of a post that's like "my first PC was an i5-750"

That was the goon parts thread recommended cpu for a long while, there's probably a bunch of goons that built their first PC with one of those.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BobHoward posted:

The Amiga was really a 16-bit successor of the Atari8 platform that was doomed by Commodore's bungling, prove me wrong

Both parts of that are objectively true but kind of ignore the six years where the Amiga sold millions of units and had a ton of great stuff on it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I bought a prebuilt in about 2007 because my existing machine broke and I was just about to have a kid (I think it actually broke on my son's due date) so I just needed the problem sorting. It was a terrible mistake because for what I paid I could have had something significantly better but I managed to make it last a good few years.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aware posted:

I dont know if it's actually possible but I hope you can forgive yourself some day

It's been a decade and a half but I'm getting there. One day at a time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

There is never a time where an asmongold video is worth watching

I tried to watch Asmongold's response to Dan Olson's WoW classic video and I just couldn't make it through because he does the "pause after three seconds and argue with the incomplete sentence" bullshit that is the most bad faith way to engage with anything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

And remember, if you’re down in Cornwall, the Eden project has got some of his work there.

I just had a quick look at Hunkin's page about his stuff in the Eden Project and I don't remember any of it still being there when I went in 2018. Is there still some?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Linus found out that some group was taking their videos, translating it, and then reuploading it to Bilibili, so LTT just hired them to do it officially, and that channel has over a million subs.

That's oddly smart of him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wargames posted:

They don't have time, they produce like 30 videos a week, its a self imposed handicap, they need to produce more content.

Wouldn't it be great if occasionally some people on YouTube learned that shoving that much crap out the door just makes it crap

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Shipon posted:

Got news for you, people enjoy crap if it's produced nice. Source: the past century of tv/film

I mean I get that but nothing of Linus' I've watched has made me even feel like letting him autoplay in the background. Most of it seems like unscripted rambling that's been edited down from people that aren't as informed as they want you to think they are.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

priznat posted:

For high quality, low frequency of output I just love Pat Finnerty’s “what makes this song stink” series. It has a whole lore being developed over the course of the series with extremely dense jokes and callbacks. I was so happy when he put out a new one recently after being away for a while due to back issues.

I love Pat, and it was nice to finally get closure on that simple plan. Plus I keep learning stuff about music theory (Beato) (I don't know about Beato).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pigma_Micron posted:

Honestly, I love the guy, but there's no reason his videos need to be as long as they are. I think he just throws all his research in all it doesn't feel like a waste of time.

He does actually cut stuff, like the plagarism had another 20 minutes on illuminaughtii that he stuck on a second channel and the Human Revolution video had like 15 minutes of stuff about the history of mirrors in games that he pulled out and made into a seperate patreon video.

In the case of the plagarism video, it felt to me like it needed to be that long, he needed to set up "here's how people respond when called on plagarism" so that when Somerton tried it it didn't work, as well as provide EXHAUSTIVE evidence of Somerton's plagarism so he couldn't handwave it away as a couple of isolated examples. It's three and a half hours leading up to the only time saying to someone "Delete your channel" has actually worked.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sagacity posted:

There's this retro channel, Modern Vintage Gamer, and literally every video of his is over 10 minutes. There's so much padding I'm not watching his stuff anymore.

MVG sometimes covered interesting stuff but my God is his delivery so stilted you wouldn't know he's been doing this for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aware posted:

Couldn't care less to be honest, game you will never actually play through is perfectly stable emulated if you really wanted to subject yourself to it.

Yeah, everything I've seen of A:R does not make me want to actually play it. It's straight up unfair and is mostly noteworthy for introducing the FPS controls we now deem standard for consoles rather than because anyone wants to play it.