Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I used to know Linus from years back before he became a YouTube superstar and he was a nice guy.

Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
We met in our 20’s when I lived in Vancouver so no high school bullying here. I moved and we just lost touch but it’s always fun to watch the videos.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm curious about the use of the Fresnel zone here, because typically it's desirable to have as little as possible be in it depending on what part of the spectrum you're in - let alone trees, buildings, or the ground in the forms of hills or mountains.

I have an acquaintance who I took CCIE classes with, who spent years maintaining and building radio chain links for all the summer houses along the Danish coast, because a lot of them can't get fiber or even anything beyond DSL over poorly maintained copper that needs lots of signal attenuation, so while I refuse to ask him to watch something I won't, I can pretty confidently say that it absolutely can work - if you're not incompetent.

Getting 10/10Gbps and peering at an IX isn't nearly as much of an issue as I think you're making it out to be - the biggest cost by far is getting the cable run sorted if archive.org can manage it for a 100Gbps ring around most of downtown San Francisco(*), I'm sure LTT can manage it whereever in Canadia they're based.

*: Jonah Edwards at The Internet Archive did a presentation on their infrastructure a while ago, and it contains a bit of the story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neBeDgICOeA

Fresnel zone in 60GHz is very small. Beamwidths of 1 degree.

This is just paid advertising. If they had a network team, or a wireless person they can lean on they would pickup a pair of Siklu Etherhaul 8010’s in 80GHz and have a real 10Gb full duplex radio.

Even better, I’m almost certain that there would have been some conduit run between both buildings. Just fish thru some fibre and throw a couple 10Gb SFP+ on it and bingo bango bongo.’

60GHz is very bad for rain attenuation. With that short hop between buildings it will probably be fine, but when you extend it past 1KM you’ll get hard fluctuations in signal which will modulate the speed on your radio down to below 1Gb/s to compensate for bit errors.

Having worked with Ubiquiti for almost 15 years now in my career I can guarantee if you tried to iperf that thing in both directions at the same time you wouldn’t get even the 5 gig down 5 gig up that you are advertised. Ubiquiti also loves to fluff it’s numbers by saying you have a 10Gb Radio! Just don’t try to use upstream and downstream at the same time.

Not to mention this install is loving trash. If you wanted a reliable stable link, you run DC and Fibre to this thing, make sure you ground the radio, your surge protection happens back in the building where you also ground your DC cable, and the diameter of the pipe they put it on is too small.

Edit: Jesus christ this radio is 1000 euros each and is in “early access” which is ubiquiti’s test release area, not stable.

These are half the cost and do a better job of what they deployed. https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/cnwave/60-ghz-cnwave-v3000/

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 19, 2022

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

mewse posted:

LTT has an insane internet uplink, I think they've talked about it before where they've got a direct fiber link to the Vancouver interchange so that they can support floatplate etc.

I can’t find any ASN for them so I would assume they just have internet transit. I doubt they spent the money on a wavelength all the way to VanIX if they’re not bgp peered.

Edit: I watched their old video about upgrading to 10Gb and they’re purchasing a wave thru https://itel.com who is purchasing from Telus or Shaw to physically get to VanIX. Then they buy 6 gigs of internet transit from urbanfibre.

So I’m wrong, they did waste a bunch of money on a wave with no use for it because they’re not bgp peering.

Big spenders.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 19, 2022

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Pretty tone deaf from YouTube millionaire #1094 but who cares really

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't think Linus has shown his penis on air yet though...

Or his wife’s vagina

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/xnqq7u/fyi_the_carabiner_zippers_are_not_super_strong/

Oops backpack sucks

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bobfromsales posted:

I can't believe Linus just feels so comfortable hanging around nude in his own home. He must have an absolutely massive heating bill.

Only $1k a month in hydro, pauper level.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

power crystals posted:

Doing something because you like it rather than selling out should be applauded.

No, In this instance, it’s ridiculously stupid.

Nothing Linus does contributes anything to society. He should have taken the money.

It could be bullshit too “look how popular we are, etc”

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 19, 2023

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Also, and hear me out here, he might have not gotten a 100 mill offer and is just saying that for ~the content~ because thats what makes him his actual millions which are some number of millions below 100

Truth. Maybe some of the other channels see the dollar signs or it's some kind of humblebrag. I find it hard to believe that anything is worth 100mil at LTT but what do I know. I'm not a popular youtube celeb.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You know the really brilliant move? Taking $100 mil for your company that does nothing and doing anything better with the rest of your life than making youtube thumbnails.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Harminoff posted:

drat you seem to have a hate boner for linus. Is it because you used to know him, and are jealous of his success while leaving you in the dust?

You do know that they are also a media company in that they do commercial work? It's not just the yourube stuff.

lol projecting much?

I'm not hating on him, I'm saying he's making a stupid decision. There's a difference.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I’m sure he’s got it all figured out though because I see clear wins by hiring the disgraced owner of… ncix?!

Honestly, the amount of poo poo I heard about that guy, and to see years later that he’s back because “he’s the only one who can control Linus”, it’s just so stupid.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He didn't hire the former owner of NCIX. It was someone else who was working there.

Ah my mistake. Got my people mixed up. Terren and I have a bunch of mutual connections.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2023

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The tone of your posts absolutely indicates otherwise

I’m glad you know better than me, random internet poster!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Mebbe

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Thanks for your opinion, it’s very appreciated.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Sorry. I turned my studio apartment into a shrine of everything Linus.

I have all the merch and my pc has all the stickers on it. Hard to stay positive cause all I want to do is be part of the lmg empire but nobody will return my calls :tizzy:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Arivia posted:

The elitism is one thing but calling a consumer technology choice the "master race" is pretty loving cringe while nazi poo poo just keeps getting higher and higher. It shouldn't be acceptable at all.

P much.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 26, 2023

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

This kinda sucked

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://youtu.be/7unZ0ZE3ZD0

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 12, 2023

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Internet Explorer posted:

Hello Nitr0. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.

yw

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Arivia posted:

okay but we need to shut down the thread for a week while we do the review.

no no, you let it happen first, and then re-adjust

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Settle down kids. Realize you’re getting riled up around YouTube personalities and face yourself to dehumanization.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

SpartanIvy posted:

I wonder if any hint of this mess was disclosed to the new CEO before he accepted the position. Dude seems extremely qualified and if Linus dumped this huge mess on his lap within the first month without any warning, I've got to imagine he's already 3 steps into his exit strategy.

I wouldn't really call this "extremely qualified"

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuTsTjFZf5M

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

bc deserves it's own thread, sorry "western Canada"

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I demand my pound of flesh (to make breakfast with)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

K8.0 posted:

I'ma say it : Central AC sucks and I'd much rather have minisplits. Air ducts waste an enormous amount of space and are noisy, and for heating forced air is absolute trash.

heat pumps own, sorry about your wrong opinion

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
forced air with a heat pump that can control air flow to upstairs and downstairs zones separately is better than 7 mini splits in your house.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
3 pages of YouTube chat better than 30 pages of Linus at least

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I found a new channel, I think you would also like it.

https://www.youtube.com/@JanusCycle

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yep. The only answer really.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Jre is a weird putz. Not sure why he has such a large following. I skimmed the vid and he basically is going to sue some company because they “stole” some designs and then build wheelchairs?

And then put some sewer pipe in the backyard for ww3?

Blech.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I said JRE is weird. I have no comments on these company disputes

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Arivia posted:

The line of what? Are you gonna file reports like “poster uses an adblocker”

Bans incoming :filez:

Adbot