Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Tech Jesus taking scalps, you love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
a lot of people went way overboard with mocking him (it was fun to poke some jabs at it, sure, but a little ridiculous how far it went) and there was definitely a little bit of the ol' gamer racism in some of it.

And yeah I've forgotten the IO shield all the loving time on my old builds, thank god that decent motherboards have it already built in

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Phones and laptops could stand to be a bit thicker than they currently are anyway, and if that increase allows for a design that's easier to upgrade and repair that's just fine. As it stands the iphone has that stupid loving camera bump for no reason when the back could just as easily be flush with the cameras if they added ~1-2mm of thickness to the phone. That said, yeah any attempt at making a phone that can be easily repaired is going to necessarily have compromises to efficient design to facilitate that ability to repair - you can't really make weird-rear end board and battery shapes if the user is expected to be able to replace them with another one down the road that might need a different design. Maybe a laptop this would probably be easier to do since there is a lot more space, so I see the argument there.

As for the e-waste thing, sure you don't junk the whole phone but what happens with the old components after you replace them? The ones that are obsolete and can't be used anymore for things because developers seem to think that exponentially increasing compute power gives them leeway to be lazier with optimization? For that matter, batteries which just have a set lifespan regardless of if they're replaceable or not?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Sorry but that’s a bullshit cop out. See the Alex Jones comment.

Waving away ethical concerns with “no one in their right mind would believe this is objective” is how we have sandy hook denial, anti-vax, election fraud garbage, etc etc.

The general populous is very clearly too stupid for this to be an acceptable defense.
Comparing "he roughed up a laptop" to people spouting race war poo poo is a pretty flippant attitude to have toward the latter

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
props to them for making it, when they could just have taken a box fan and changed the frame or something

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

How is GN Steve so loving wholesome? The fact that he doesn’t even mention it in the main channel shows it’s a genuine effort to make some good.

They don't nickname him Tech Jesus for nothing!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
A bit disappointed in the sort of just weak magnet thing on there as decoration when it could have been like, a paint job or something, but it's great that it's not attached to some garbage PSU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

when will people realize that hiding tweets is pinning them at the top

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lurker2006 posted:

I appreciate Steve's work and all but if I'm being real no online retailer measures up to newegg's combination of selection and pricing.

Steve said as much, that the reason he's doing this is because he used to use Newegg back in the day because it was a great place to buy things and to see how far it's fallen is super disappointing. I know "keeping people accountable" is a bit of a meme and joke lately but in this instance it seems to be his motive.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Romes128 posted:

I’m glad there’s 3 micro centers easily accessible to me.

They used to ship before the pandemic I think. Wonder why they won’t start again.

Them not shipping is a good anti-bot protection. Make scalpers physically have to show up.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Intel let Linus tour one of their fabs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ehSCWoaOqQ

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

What was that about visiting Israel being on his bucket list lol

Yeah I did a spit take when I heard that

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Is that Alienware monstrosity really just them bolting cheap plastic gamer tacky stuff on to the same case they use for the endless business machines they put out?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Actually it seems like Linus has been toning down his accent over the years. I'd have to watch an older video to be sure though.

sometimes he even forgets to pronounce it "zed"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I have never considered the idea of a warranty for something like a backpack, i can't really imagine what would go wrong with it other than something tearing or a zipper going bad but I figure that just comes with the territory

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

I got a Fractal Torrent for my most recent build and it's the best case I've ever seen, it's got such great airflow. Really easy to build in too

Got one in December as well, and you know what I love the power supply on top honestly

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CoolCab posted:

he was doing something really stupid with it. he dropped it from like 6 feet onto carpeted concrete and it broke one of the little arms that holds the bits inside the handle. but he seemed mostly charmed by the magnet tbh
a Linus designed screwdriver breaking when dropped is not a good sign

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Financialization is a fact in pretty much every manufacturing industry now, everyone is desperately trying to figure out how to pivot from selling things once to selling subscriptions. The rule of thumb is that one dollar of recurring revenue is worth seven dollars of one-time revenue, when it comes to things like valuations and whatnot. Nobody cares about actual profit today, everyone wants a story about potential profit tomorrow. I myself work for a company that sells physical devices direct to consumers, and while that's well and good, it's also insignificant even though it's making us a lot of money - the board's top priority is making us convert our enterprise customers to a subscription sales model as soon as possible.

many such cases!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

A lot of big channels don't allow fan subtitling because of the abuse potential or because Youtube doesn't say when subs are fanmade or provided by the channel itself, so if the subs are bad (because the person doing the translation was just using Google translate) the channel gets blamed. Also LTT's fanbase would 100% think uploading hundreds of Klingon or Swedish Chef subtitles is hilarious. I think Youtube might've dropped the feature completely actually.

they did and it sucked because there were some channels i watched that had an active community translating into english that made up a decent amount of their viewership, and after that the views dropped markedly because fan made subs became too much hassle for them to deal with in whatever their "replacement" for this feature ended up being

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
embrace the poop brown

I wish people put more interest in 180mm fans, the fractal torrent is a fantastic case but finding fans for it is a bit tricky

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

It's fun that Jonnyguru has pretty much provided the golden standard on PSU testing(and taught Steve and co how to do it) and we are talking like it's a rando on twitter.
i mean he was objectively wrong in this situation plus he was running his mouth off

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

Steve tests the 4090 cable alone in the office because everyone else is taking time off. Interesting that the adapters they have is different from the one Igor tested and behaved entirely differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKjZ1djp8c

whoa you mean igor came out with some hot take that was poorly sourced and ultimately either inaccurate or a red herring? no way dude?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

USB-C PD implementations annoy me. My current laptop (Asus Zephyrus G14) supports it but charging with USB-C disables the battery health functionality that lets power delivery bypass the battery once it's charged instead of endlessly charging and discharging it. USB-C -> Barrel Connector might be a way around that.
I have the same problem on my Dell Precision laptop, is it just companies trying to force you to buy their proprietary adapters to charge you more?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i think there are a lot of people who would rather play poorly but look at a pretty game than turn all the settings down to get maximal fps and minimal latency to score more headshots on 8 year olds

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's also a really dumb premise because the greatest GPU of all time is objectively whatever is the fastest, latest GPU available.

Idk "great" could mean a lot of things, and you could easily say that whatever card had the biggest uplift or value over the previous generation would qualify it. 9700 Pro and 1080Ti both seem like good contenders for that title.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

holy poo poo lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

priznat posted:

I hate those pcie release levers so much. Always such a bitch to get at.

Could we also make heatsinks that don’t have razor sharp edges too? I scraped my hand pretty good on a noctua the other day. I get that it’s better for heat dissipation but come on if I am trying to fit my mitts in a mATX case it’s hard to not get sliced up.

Look everyone knows that a computer needs a blood sacrifice to properly boot up, the heat sinks that slice you open a bit are a feature

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
custom loop also requires maintenance that maybe the people they give the computer to might not want to deal with

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

teraflame posted:

People who say marques worships apple have never really watched him. He’s pretty level headed.

I like his car reviews the most.

Tech people should not be reviewing cars. They love the stupid loving tablets that replaced buttons and love their dumb infotainment systems that distract drivers and get pedestrians and cyclists killed.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
It's cool to see them recycling perfectly fine components in this way rather than letting them just become e-waste like in America or Europe

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
okay i get the vitriol against jayz2cents (even if i don't necessarily agree with it) but linus? he's said a sorta clueless thing about unions once, was off the mark on the backpack warranty (lol that's a thing?) and makes a bunch of clickbait content. what's there to be super mad about with linus?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-owBhLGaH4

Congrats, Emily.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i do agree with mocking SFF PCs though, why must you punish yourself for no good reason

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Honestly I watch enough YouTube that I don't mind paying premium, between all the tech tubers and vtubers, it's like $15/mo and I don't really use Netflix or other services anyway

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which youtube tech idiot would you like to see handle this?

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1678014289599184896

might be a hot take but people really really want denuvo to be proven to kill performance when they're really just mad that they can't pirate the game easily

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cantide posted:

Counterpoint: I don't like unnecessary poo poo running in the background. I'm not a charity I don't buy expensive Hardware to have CPU cycles taken up by loving Copy protection

there's no evidence it does take up meaningful performance, lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

DRM does not prevent piracy

denuvo sure does or people wouldn't complain so much about it, like games with it do get cracked but either they're that one crazy TERF or the guy who only cracks soccer games

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Klyith posted:

So like, I'm with you that it is dumb and sucky that a game in Launcher A instead starts Launcher B when you try to run it, instead of just running the game.

However, how many loving games are you playing at the same time? Like, if you are playing an Ubisoft game that uses the Ubisoft launcher, just leave the Ubisoft thing running for that week. Use the Ubisoft launcher to make a desktop icon for that game that direct-launches it instead of clicking play on Steam.

Maybe even quit Steam if you can't stand the idea of multiple launchers running at the same time? (Unless you also use steam as your social app, but in that case you're running another social app, not just a game launcher.)

Willingly pushing a Steam monopoly over PC gaming is incredibly self-sabotaging and stupid in the long run. Steam has not always been the Good Guy.
Steam should have a monopoly because the alternative is dozens of different storefronts doing their own resource-hog launchers, and not having a launcher period is also a problem in its own way. Monopolies need regulation but they should be superior to assuming that we need a billion things running just out of some sense that competition = good always

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

There's been a concerted effort from some people to get that term used again, I've seen it popping up more and more in tech videos especially. I'd argue though that the hardcore PC gamer types never did accept that the term is poo poo and elitist. It feels like it's going to resurface to distinguish the people who use "real" PCs (ie, DIY desktops) from the filthy Fortnite playing casuals using handhelds and cheap prebuilts.

look at the car industry, half the advertising for cars is about how superior having a big truck makes you, being elitist does work to sell people on things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

The LTT forums crowd bullied someone to suicide for the crime of acquiring the old NCIX tech tips youtube button. Why are you surprised about them not caring about someone that experienced harassment?
where the gently caress is this coming from? that old reddit post of a grieving father who was clearly just grasping for some reason as to why their kid would kill themselves?

there's enough to be angry at linus tech tips about (the theft, the sexual harrassment poo poo going on) without reading into stuff like that, or "remembering" other things so you can get yourself more angry