Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Haven't been this excited for an RPG since I imported Xenoblade Chronicles from Europe years ago. Looks absolutely fantastic and it's cool how the demo actually served as a functional beta wherein the directors took feedback to heart and improved content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so can you just keep wandering through areas til you hit the characters you want to get in the demo? Starting as Therion and I wondered if that meant I could only get Alfyn or H'annit next since they were the ones next to me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's very cool how characters get significantly different skills and potential builds--like how my Therion could have gone a support debuff route for the beginning but I gave him HP Thief and SP Steal to keep him an evading sustain machine. I went H'aanit next and I love the little Pokemon skillset she can potentially have going. Doing Trueshot crits to her prologue boss was rad as gently caress, too. The game feels like such an oldschool FF6 but with modern upgrades and a way better encounter rate (nowhere near as bad as the older games), it's just a perfect throwback to offering a classic enjoyable RPG. I'm sad the final hour is creeping up now so I probably won't get the third character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

iirc only H'annit's town has the dumb ye olde english vibe to it, at least from what I've seen thus far

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

when does the embargo for reviews end? tomorrow?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Koraku has a first take saying 20 hours in most of the stories are separate and don't have a lot of character interaction. But kotaku is also dumb and often wrong, and it sounds like he only just got all 8 characters so it could still shift to an overarching plot later...

Yeah most of the previews are positive so I'm not really taking this one from a guy who didn't get very far too serious. I'm fine with spending a lot of time on just the recruitment, means the game has a lot of stuff to do. Even if the overall plot is transient I'd be happy with a few dozen sidequests being the bulk of my time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm fine with SaGa style stuff even if there's a weird ludonarrative dissonance with party members, though I do hope that eventually there are acknowledgements between the characters. If they exist then nobody is saying anything---a lot of previews have said they can't comment on anything that happens too far into the future i.e. more than 15-20 hrs in.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Frankston posted:

One of my favourite things about this game is how they make bosses ridiculously large compared to everything else.

it's a great callback to the old Final Fantasy games wherein the enemies were just huge images

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

would be great and also hilarious if true since a lot of reviewers might get exposed as not actually finishing the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Norns posted:

How do you people still care about game reviews in 2018

I know this is an obvious driveby shitpost but it's nice to at least have some kind of advance takes on things and sometimes if it's written by Eurogamer or something it'll at least be not totally braindead or follow a dumb numbers scale

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i'm totally cool with that. a hefty early game of doing whatever and seeing prologue bits followed by character payoff much later seems unique. will be nice having that kind of freedom.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Maybe the reason they never mentioned any big save the world plot is because there isn't one :iiam:

this actually owns and I'm glad for it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/munnyndonuts/status/1017725420160970753

Not surprised that the reviewer who was pretty thorough in their take knew about this but it's also good to know that this exists

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Supremezero posted:

So do you have to go around in a circle, or is it possible to use this handy dandy ocean (... sea?) and go straight from, say Tressa, to H'annit?

curious about this as well

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Conot posted:

You have to go clockwise or counterclockwise, but you can skip over any towns you're not interested in. You can also fast travel to any town you've already been to.

Also, having hit Chapter 2, I can confirm that there are inter-party skits, with the first one I've run into being Cyrus commenting on Tressa's chapter 2 shenanigans. Personalized lines too, not generic chatter.

very cool. I wonder how many chapters there are per character? don't recall reading that in reviews.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

eonwe posted:

hows everyone liking it

it's a very relaxing and fun game. I went Therion>H'aanit for demo and now I just got superdetective mage Cyrus, who appears to be looking for some hosed-up Ninth Gate type of book. His boss fight actually scaled pretty well so it was reasonably tough. I skipped over Ophelia for now and will probably be making a run for wherever Primrose is. I feel it's better to do that anyway since the next Chapter 2 for my guys is suggested Level 22 and I'm only at 10.

How often do sidequests come up? Should I be finding any so far?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

oh dang, I guess I missed that. Neat!

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

jesus loving christ

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

6 hours in and I love this game. JRPGs like Chrono Trigger were always my comfort food game and this is no exception. Finally have my full party of Therion/H'annit/Cyrus/Primrose and have been acquiring all sorts of sidequests, none of which I know what to do with but I'm excited about all the puzzles that await. Primrose's first boss actually threw me for a loop so it's cool that the bosses scale with my progress. Going after Ophelia now. But I will say that the Scrutinize option is great and it takes a lot to make me NOT want to read everyone's backstory. Especially this dog who appears to be Jules from Pulp Fiction.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this got asked but not answered before/maybe missed it but are subclasses permanent or can you keep assigning them or swapping them out to your characters?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

somebody at Squeenix had one hell of a fun time developing all these metastories

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mega64 posted:

So for Chapter 2 you can swap characters in and party chat with them, but only if their moment hasn't passed. So I got one-on-ones with Ophelia and Primrose since their dialogue triggers at the end of Alfyn's quest, but I missed out on Therion and Olberic's. Kind of a shame you can miss them like that, but I'm sure all of them will be floating around the internet within a week or two anyway.

odd, how do you know if you're going to "miss" on something? curious if the game has a notice when these are available.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got my 5th, Ophelia, and holy poo poo that boss battle was hard--first one that ever killed me due to not knowing what would happen with the "Trial Begins" move the boss does lol. For now I swapped out Cyrus to use Therion/Primrose/H'annit/Ophelia and boy does it up the ante when you 1) don't have the opening Weakness Spy talent or 2) the reliability of 3 all-enemy element attacks on a mage. Without Cyrus I have to rely on foxes that H'annit captures as my only source of Ice damage.

I'm still a little confused on "character interaction" or "skits" or whatever---what exactly do you need to do to see your part talking with each other? Do you have to clear at least one Chapter 2 story? Does it just involve swapping around your people in a tavern randomly after you complete something? Or does anything just happen while in a town?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

everyone talking about how Bewildering Grace is good but I'm over here getting nothing but blinding mists and "the earth blows up at your feet" lol. Though I did just get my first subclass and saddled Prim with Scholar.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It's painful to not have Cyrus in the party at this stage not only for his screenwide 3 elements of magic almost always hitting a weakness, but because I loving love the Scrutinize function and want to learn about EVERY NPC. I don't have Alfric yet but I'm on Tressa's story.

I have Ophelia in my party but kind of don't want to swap out H'annit/Primrose/Cyrus just because I kind of feel like Ophelia is....weak? Besides the holy ray and heal she has to rely on lame stave attacks and she eats up so much SP. Even her Revive kind of blows since it brings people back at just 1 HP, worse than an Olive, and at 50 SP it seemed like a scam to learn it. Is anyone else thinking she's the weak link of the 8?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Summon seems strong?

I have Primrose though who can also summon and has nice buffs to give out. Won't deny that Summon is really great as a bonus attack/skill that can save you big time in boss battles wherein the NPC skill may hit weaknesses.

^burtle posted:

I went with Op as my "main" and things have gone pretty smoothly for me. Around level 30 at the moment and SP hasn't really been an issue, especially with being able to boost her light heal for 500-700 for 8 SP.

Guide is great when you remember to use it. From a damage aspect, I'm sure I'd have been potentially happier with a different lead, but I've been rotating my teams pretty heavily.

Yeah I suppose it might be different with her as the highest level character; she's my 5th accrued so maybe she needs a subclass badly because she doesn't seem to hit as many weaknesses as others do (Light weakness for some reason just seems to be less prominent than the other elements.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Ophilia owns as a scholar

see:

Haha so she turns into Quistis. My only subclass right now is Scholar and I have it on Primrose though I might just put it on Ophelia for a while and rock Haanit/Therion/Tressa/Ophelia for the Tressa part.

I just did the theater troupe "need 2 actors" sidequest part and it's kind of cool how certain sidequests have entire arcs wherein people you save or help out show up many times. Not many rpgs bother to do that nowadays. I have a bad feeling about that circus, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

someone awful. posted:

Though thinking about it, it is sort of strange that Ophilia and Primrose are the only 2 100% interchangeable characters in the game, with their path actions and talent being identical to each other's. I don't necessary mind this, because Summon is very powerful, but when every other character has a talent that differentiates them from their Noble/rogue counterpart it really stands out as unfortunate

It evens out imo since their base jobs are so wildly different, not to mention how one is basically a nun while the other is the absolute opposite--which I assume was what they were going for when they made them have identical Talents. Either way, in the earlygame it doesn't exactly help to have both on the same team since you can only have one "5th member" in the party.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

^burtle posted:

You can have a Guide and an Allure for up to 6 people at once.

poo poo, really? maybe I just had bad luck with npcs who couldn't be recruited, had no idea?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got Thief as my 2nd subclass and put on Tressa which seems like a good idea considering most of her poo poo costs no SP and now she can just Steal-Donate SP to everyone else worry-free :3

How many Chapter for each character, 4?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Howen can'st thou notte understanden minen speechen

doest notte everyonen speaketh liken thise?

COMEN IF THOU DAREST

LET MY ARROW FLY'EN TRUE

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't done a single ch.2 yet since I've been having a nice time exploring, getting subclass shrines, and generally trying to find a bunch of fast travel locations and doing random sidequest stuff. My characters are around 13 to 17 anyway so I won't be lvl 21 for a bit, though engaging in high-danger battles here and there is always fun along the way of traveling so it never feels like grinding. It really is grand that normal random battles can more often than not feel engaging and like a mini puzzle; too many JRPGs in the old days were little more than "press A 100x" so I've been pleased that this one really gives you a lot to experiment with and a decently growing roster of monsters to fight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

That's already in the game

lol wow whose Hunter costume is that?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

H'annit's weird dialect kind of grew on me and I genuinely love her quotes in battle now. It's oddly charming how there's this random sect of barbarian warrior-poets and it makes the world feel more diverse.

I had Therion, my main char, sublass into Apothecary and once he got the Hale and Hearty perk, it rocketed him to like 1900 HP. Next highest is like....700 on H'annit I think? It's kind of crazy but maybe Therion has HP boosts in his equipment. He's below level 20.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I discovered that I could get the Warrior subclass before picking up Olberic.

I got the Apothecary sublass on the way to recruit Alfric, actually

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

figured I'd try a chapter 2 and went for the lowest level one, which was Primrose's at level 21 or so. All my characters are level 18 to 15. It took like 25 minutes to beat the boss but I did it! Hopefully next boss won't take as long or cost me the majority of my grapes/plums haha. Still need to get Olberic. I feel like I need lots more monies because my gear probably could use an upgrade.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Got my first 2 party banters, one right after I completed Prim's ch2 and another when I got to the bar. One was with Cyrus about dancing and the other was H'annit being mopey about necklaces from dead parents. There is a small notification and a dedicated sound for when it pops up but yeah it's kind of crazy how easy you could miss that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sounds like your issues boil down to "I'm overleveled, have shitloads of ingame money, and I dislike most of the game" so I don't think I'd recommend you bother playing further? "scholar is 100% useless" though is kind of not true given how myself and others can vaporize enemies with Cyrus later on.

Andrast posted:

To be fair that is like 90% through the game

How the gently caress are people this far already, I have 17 hours logged and only just completed a single Chapter 2 since launch day.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I heard the polar bear enemy was a pain in the rear end for people but I encountered one last night and he wasn't too bad....though his Rampage attack def has the chance to wipe your party if you were low

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tressa gets so much loving cash in and out of battle that it's tough to keep her out of the party, especially since I'm constantly hard up on cash upgrading my gear

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

forgot I had the Amnesiac Girl NPC in my party and completely came across her true family by accident to complete her sidequest lol.

Also there was this small area near the Up To No Good sidequest wherein in leads nowhere but you can fight these tough rat enemies for shitloads of exp. I was exploring the area trying to see if it actually went anywhere, and I don't think it does but in the process those fights bumped me up 2 whole leves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pomp posted:

I think bewildering Grace or whatever is gonna be way too unreliable. Like obv people will take hail Marys with it but you can't route around that poo poo

yeah I've gotten at most 2 "JPx2" dances out of like 24 hrs of playtime, the rest of the time it's skewed for me towards blinding mists and "lol lost all SP"

Folt The Bolt posted:

Interesting. Are there any major changes or just making the script a bit more exciting?

one of the squirrel enemies has a move called "These Nuts" which is probably the greatest translator work in history