Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Kruleboyz are part of Orruk Warclans so it’s a step up from allying in.

Oh wow, I thought they were a separate faction. Gonna be curious to see what incentives they could possibly give Ironjawz now to make someone choose them over Big Waaagh - it was already pretty marginal before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh wow, I thought they were a separate faction. Gonna be curious to see what incentives they could possibly give Ironjawz now to make someone choose them over Big Waaagh - it was already pretty marginal before.

To be fair they also have to do that for Kruleboyz too. Giving them faction benefits that don't make Big Waagh an auto take over them, as well them and Ironjawz also can't overshadow Big Waagh as it has to be a viable choice too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Painted up some good guys for once. Scheme came together alright, now to think of a name for their Stormhost

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Deified Data posted:

Painted up some good guys for once. Scheme came together alright, now to think of a name for their Stormhost

I love The Hulk color scheme

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Oh, I did not do any research before buying my Tzeentch stuff and just bought things that looked cool to paint.

I also did not realise I chose the OP race. I used to collect thousand sons so I'm going to plead ignorance.

Also am I dull for really liking the default colour scheme for Tzeentch Demons?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deified Data posted:

piccolo's privateers

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

CyberPingu posted:

Often the default colour schemes are the default for a reason, i.e. one or more professional artists chose it and several people who knows a thing about art design looked at it and went "yes that looks good".

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

lilljonas posted:

Often the default colour schemes are the default for a reason, i.e. one or more professional artists chose it and several people who knows a thing about art design looked at it and went "yes that looks good".

that and sometimes it just works. I dont really like the stormcast's default gold design, I find that literally any other design besides "solid fuckin gold bro" works super nicely on them..

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair they also have to do that for Kruleboyz too. Giving them faction benefits that don't make Big Waagh an auto take over them, as well them and Ironjawz also can't overshadow Big Waagh as it has to be a viable choice too.

Big Waagh should be the default Ork faction anyway

I wanna play with all my angry, dumb, green morons all at once

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Deified Data posted:

great work on the faces and that flaming sword bit!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Kruleboyz are part of Orruk Warclans so it’s a step up from allying in.

good to know I could slot in the beefboys next to the kunnin' boyz

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That new orruk shaman has a spell that does -1/+1 to charge for enemies and your units respectively table-wide :eyepop:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

CyberPingu posted:

It's a good colour scheme dude

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

that and sometimes it just works. I dont really like the stormcast's default gold design, I find that literally any other design besides "solid fuckin gold bro" works super nicely on them..
Hard agree, the shining gold is just a dull color on them. Painting their armor literally any other color really makes the models pop.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I unironically like all of the default color schemes for the daemons they hit it out of the park with all of them

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know eel spam is the go to for Idoneth but is that because every thing is so lackluster or because eels are just the best? Wanted to try building up an Ironrach army with DoK allies.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know eel spam is the go to for Idoneth but is that because every thing is so lackluster or because eels are just the best? Wanted to try building up an Ironrach army with DoK allies.

They just don't have a lot of unit variety to begin with and there's really no reason to bring thralls except maybe a single small unit to sit on a backfield objective. Eels are also just very good and are capable of some truly disgusting turn 1 charges. The other sea critters are much better now and lots of tournament lists run 2-4 sharks and sometimes a turtle, so the pure eel spam is not nearly as prevalent anymore.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah eels are really good.

It's a pretty odd thing about GW and feels even more exaggerated in AOS - some factions have really really shallow benches (Idoneth and Fyreslayers stand out to me because they were the first two factions that caught my eye), while a couple factions have incredibly dense benches like Skaven. Most other tabletop wargames I've looked at have at least broad parity between the major factions on unit selection, so it feels pretty striking in AOS and I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is (I assume there's no plan in GW because...GW).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well you're comparing an army that's 25 years old to one that's 2 and 4 respectively. Skaven is loaded with legacy kits, in the entire time of AoS' existence they've gotten one new model not counting terrain or endless spells. They'll probably, at some point, refresh the skaven line and bring new stuff out as they retire the old ones.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well you're comparing an army that's 25 years old to one that's 2 and 4 respectively. Skaven is loaded with legacy kits, in the entire time of AoS' existence they've gotten one new model not counting terrain or endless spells. They'll probably, at some point, refresh the skaven line and bring new stuff out as they retire the old ones.

cant wait for easier to build stormfiends

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They did get an Underworlds warband :banjo:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The AoS V3 coherency changes are a nail in the coffin for Namarti Thralls. Forcing a 10-man minimum unit on 32mm bases with a 1" range weapon into two ranks is an absolute killer. I expect this is going to be accompanied by a rule for second ranks to fight too (the same as 40k 9E), or a range increase on the weapons. In the meantime, MSU eels are probably still the way to go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just bought some stormcast (and have a KO boat army) so the new coherency suits me fine.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah someone at my club is asking about splitting the Dominion box and I might take him up on that, just because I'm feeling a bit miserable about Deepkin and at least Stormcast are guaranteed to get models forever.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Danimo posted:

I wouldn't say the clans are "ultra strict silo". You can (and should) mish mash them together as you still get every clan benefit. The only actual restriction is that if you want non-clanrat battleline you have go strict solo clan.

Battletome Skaventide has issues and needs to be rewritten to be more like the Cities of Sigmar book imo, but I wouldn't say its a bad book. It was very powerful when it came out and had a pretty good run for a while in 2019, but got consecutive small nerfs and fell behind the power curve over the course of 2020.

I have no idea what they do with the army in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Eshin and Moulder and half of Skryre become Legends at some point. Its a weird model line.

Is it suggested anywhere that Skaven will be getting a new battletome / model refresh in the near future? I wanted to finally build a Skaven army after years and years of waiting (they were my original loves back in the day when I could afford to read White Dwarf and that was about the limit of my Hobby spending) but it sounds like they aren't in a good place :ohdear:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My poor poor Beastmen are going to get wrekt by this rank rule.

Also, my 120 Bloodreavers...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DrDraxium posted:

Is it suggested anywhere that Skaven will be getting a new battletome / model refresh in the near future? I wanted to finally build a Skaven army after years and years of waiting (they were my original loves back in the day when I could afford to read White Dwarf and that was about the limit of my Hobby spending) but it sounds like they aren't in a good place :ohdear:

Most armies will be getting an updated codex for the new edition but if say skaven are at least 18 months out. They'll probably do the new armies that didn't get one for 2nd.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

My box of shame came

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 9, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Porting the 40k coherency rules isn't a bad thing in itself but with 1" coherency and weapon ranges its so much more restrictive that I have to assume they're going to be changing some fight phase stuff.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wow, that's some lovely packaging. No foam or paper or anything. But congrats on all the paints! :allears:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Furism posted:

Wow, that's some lovely packaging. No foam or paper or anything. But congrats on all the paints! :allears:

Yeah the packaging gave me the willies a bit. There was a single dual airbag on top. That was it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yeeeaaah, that packaging is kinda bad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yikes. I would be pissed that 1) the paint was loose; and 2) the brushes were not secured. Looks like one even lost the protector?

Who did you buy from?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DrDraxium posted:

Not really, no. We kinda take it as an inevitability at this point but we currently have no assurances from GW that every army gets a 3rd ed battletome. In fact I find that kinda unlikely. Skaven are just as likely to be that unlucky army as anything else. Nurgle never got a new battletome through all of 2nd, for example.

But yeah I'm another one hopping on the Stormcast train and it's nice knowing it's the one army that will always have support, even if they're not competitive heavy-hitters.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yikes. I would be pissed that 1) the paint was loose; and 2) the brushes were not secured. Looks like one even lost the protector?

Who did you buy from?

Local company called Element Games.

I'm going to write some feedback saying that the packing sucked. It's kind of a miracle nothing leaked tbh

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah that sort of sucks considering you spent what looks like at least a hundred bucks on paints. They could have at least taped the brushes to secure them and stick the paints into some ziplock baggies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wait did GW pack that?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Deified Data posted:

Wait did GW pack that?

Nah, Element Games going by previous posts. Which is weird considering how well regarded they usually are.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I'm gonna ask them.

I have a sneaky suspicion as to what might have happened. I amended the order like 5 mins before it was dispatched. Meaning it was potentially all neatly packed and then someone had to rake through it to find the one to swap out and then just didn't repackage it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Cheers for the responses re: Skaven. Guess I'll just keep an eye out for now.