Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just finished reading Moon Knight, starting with the 2014 Warren Ellis run and continuing through to #200. I didn't read any earlier stuff so I don't know what the "true" version of the character is but man, the Bemis run was a huge drop in quality after Ellis and Lemire. Second rate Deadpool definitely wasn't what I was looking for when I started reading MK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Well I just read Moon Knight #1 - I always forget how dense older comics can be, and this one absolutely packed its 25 pages. I think I'll read a bit more and see where it goes now all the pieces are in place.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks to everyone who recommended the initial Moon Knight run because this rules

I was fully expecting Spector's DID to be a retcon based on how many aliases he juggles, so it's pretty interesting to see how early it's addressed (I've just finished issue 6 and in that he admits that it can sometimes be a problem).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Skwirl posted:

Isn't Unlimited just 3 months behind now?

It is, yeah. Otherwise they'd have to explain why Victor and Peter were fighting Santa in October :v:

I can't remember if I mentioned it before but now that I'm caught up on the backlog of the current X-books on Unlimited I can really see why people get into stories split across multiple titles. Almost every week I get at least a couple of issues moving things forward and while they can't all be Marauders, I don't feel like any of them have been outright bad (except maybe Fallen Angels but that was mercifully brief). I was never an X-Men guy because of how sprawling the world was but this current run and the all-you-can-eat model of Unlimited have made a convert of me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fraction's Hawkeye run was one of the first things I read when I got an Unlimited sub and yeah it basically stands alone from everything else. There are a couple of characters from other comics but their deal is always explained in a way that doesn't assume prior knowledge. It's mostly just a story about an idiot guy who shoots a bow and his good good dog.

Last night I read the first few issues of Incredible Hulk (1962) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. They're just pure sci fi pulp and there's a fantastic purity about that. I'm not sure if I'll read the full run of Tales to Astonish or just skip to where the Hulk gets reintroduced but I like the idea of slowly reading my way through Hulk history.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The one where he just takes off and flies is fantastic, partially because it has zero bearing on the story but they were so excited about it that they put it right on the cover with a soldier yelling about it directly to the reader.

You've all got me hyped for more Hulk now. Other than the issues of Immortal Hulk on Unlimited I've only read Planet Hulk / World War Hulk so I'm hoping to understand a bit more of the history Ewing keeps dipping into for Immortal. I enjoyed Planet Hulk for the full on Conan styling of Hulk forging his warband and becoming emperor, but fridging his wife like two days later was a bit of a sour note and World War Hulk didn't get me quite as interested, even if I do have a soft spot for Amadeus Cho being a know-it-all.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Zdarsky wrote a great Doom in the X-Men / Fantastic Four miniseries last year

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've been reading more 60s Marvel stuff (mostly for early Hulk appearances) and I love how the inner cover is basically a carnival barker trying to seal the deal and get you to buy the drat thing.

I think the first one is also the introduction of the Green Goblin? He works with a film director to get Spider-Man cast in a film and then tries to kill him on set. Not in any clever way by rigging a stunt to go wrong, he just has some guys attack him. Then the Hulk turns up.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Some surprise guests at the Hellfire Gala:

https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/1400119161657962499?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've never really been an X Men guy before the current run so it's been my introduction to Mister Sinister and I love how Wells writes him. The sending a clone to Avalon gag was great.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah we've had that drop on Unlimited, it's 3 months behind street release now.

My sub runs through the end of the year so I should be good for Immortal Hulk #50, but it'll take some serious willpower for me to not just buy the remaining issues individually once they're all out.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've been reading old Tales to Astonish and the credits box always has a little jab for the letterer (Artie Simek here but Sam Rosen gets the same treatment)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Gaz-L posted:

Seems like Ewing hit a triple this week, because any Hulk fans shouldn't sleep on Gamma Flight. I thought it was gonna be another one shot, but it's def at least a mini, because there's some interesting subplots set up (and Titania and Creel are actually very sweet in their own way).

It's five parts apparently

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Immortal Hulk #50 is coming in October weighing in at EIGHTY PAGES. So uh I guess that's how they're going to have space to wrap everything up

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm ready for Moon Knight to be good again.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

These rule, thank you. I love the Flavius design

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Given the amount of pro-trans content in Immortal Hulk, if Al Ewing is a lovely person he's in incredibly deep cover

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I got a year of Unlimited last Christmas, here's highlights of what I've been reading. Some of these are ongoing so won't be complete reads in your month:

Immortal Hulk (ongoing) - probably the best Marvel comic out there right now. I stumbled across panels of this on twitter which got me to do a trial week and what I read in that time got me to buy a year. I was never a Hulk fan before and this got me into the character enough to read 60s issues of Tales to Astonish. It's heavy on body horror and Lynchian unease which is right up my street

Hawkeye (2012-2015) - if you've not read much Marvel stuff before this might be a good intro as it's a very small scale story about what Clint Barton does when he's not being an Avenger. It sounds like bits of this are being adapted for an upcoming Disney+ series

Superior Foes of Spider-Man (2013-2015) - another great "small scale" series about the challenges faced by the C-list members of Spider-Man's rogues gallery. An easy and very funny read

X-Men (ongoing) - this probably isn't a good recommendation for you as it's multiple ongoing series, starting with 2019's House of X and Powers of X and continuing from there (Unlimited collects them in several reading lists). However it took me from vague awareness of the X-Men to wanting to know everything about every one of these weird characters (Beak is the best). If you do want to just read one series Marauders is the best by far

Moon Knight (2014-2015) - another character I barely knew about before starting this series and am now all in on. The first six issues in this run are written by Warren Ellis and are simply fantastic, and the remaining ones are every bit as good. Another character about to get a Disney show

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

X-O posted:

I almost feel like House of X/Powers of X and the following would be a turn off to someone very new to comics. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem very new reader friendly.

Yeah that's definitely worth caveating. I felt totally overwhelmed jumping between those two titles but when I realised what it was building towards I got incredibly excited.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

What are you both using the app on? I managed to read Immortal Hulk, Marauders, X Force and Hellions last night on Android

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Looks like someone clicked the wrong button for the Unlimited upload, both New Mutants and X Corp let me read their July issues straight after finishing the ones that were scheduled today.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I liked that issue 3 had some more Madrox. But yeah, Warren and Monet being supercilious in boardrooms doesn't do that much for me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Forgot to say earlier but thanks to whoever mentioned the Marvel/Method podcast earlier in the thread, I've listened through the backlog over the last couple of weeks while doing housework. Meth's enthusiasm for Marvel was readily apparent and he really did his homework on the celebrity and industry guests. Just hugely positive listening, hoping for a second season!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jiro posted:

Also it's been a while but the whole possessed Hulk entity at the end of time/universe killing Franklin, was that ever concluded?

Circling back on this now I've had a chance to read and digest #50

The future where TOBA-possessed Hulk becomes the last thing in the cosmos and devours Metatron only really existed in Sterns' head. It was meant as a warning from the residents of the ninth (last?) cosmos about what would happen if TOBA could destroy Bruce's soul, but it was a call to action for Sterns.

As a sidenote I did like how the reveal that TOBA is TOAA's Hulk means that he is literally consumed by his own rage.

In #50 McGee asks what if it's not over and Hulk reminds her that Sterns said all the green doors were closed and locked. From that I took that the threat of TOBA is off the table for now at least.

Overall I liked the issue even if it seemed in a bit of a rush to wrap everything up. At the end was that Walt in Doc Samson's body? I got a bit lost with some of the body swapping.

I hugely enjoyed the run as a whole, it really elevated Hulk as a character for me and even got me to dive back into old Tales to Astonish so I could read more about the gamma family that Ewing was pulling from. I doubt I'll be able to read all 600+ issues of Hulk history but I'll definitely be taking a look at some of the bigger runs on the character.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

site posted:

who are the birds

Hugin and Munin, maybe?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloks posted:

Hugin and Munin, Loki's crows.

They're ravens and they're (normally) Odin's :norway:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Beerdeer posted:

Honestly, Vulpes, your first Moon Knight issue dropped on Unlimited today and it's freaking fantastic.

:amen:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I can strongly recommend going back and reading the old Tales to Astonish issues with Hulk because they're an absolute riot. In one issue he can fly all of a sudden for absolutely no reason! In another he turns into Hulk but with Bruce Banner's head! They really were just flinging everything at the wall and it's got a great manic energy about it.

Like how can you not love this absolute nonsense:

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 25, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

When did the spider symbol become a generic symbiote thing anyway? I'm sure I remember reading Mike Costa's Venom run and seeing a couple of panels of the symbiote planet with everything having that symbol on it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah I know it's become SOP to blame everything on the films, but I really think people are overthinking the gently caress out of this

Venom has a big spider because it used to be a Spider-Man costume

other symbiotes also had spiders because half of them were formed out of bits of Venom, so the designers just slapped a spider on them, too

then a bunch more symbiotes had spiders because, well, all the symbiotes people know have spiders on them, so we don't want these ones to stand out

then Cates comes along and says "actually it was a dragon" because - like so many BSS posters - he got a stupid question stuck in his head ('why do all the symbiotes have a spider?') and tried to rationalize it in a comic book story, and "it's actually a dragon" sounded cool to him

I like to think that the Venom-derived symbiotes are all taking their cues about humans from what Venom learned with Peter, so they've got a firm but totally unfounded belief that the human race are all obsessed with spiders.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm behind due to reading through Unlimited but I just finished Moon Knight #3 and holy poo poo! I am absolutely loving your writing for Spector and Badr, Vulpes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Wanderer posted:

Hey, I could use a consult from the toy nerds of BSS.

I found this old playset in my mom's basement. I've never been able to figure out what to even call it, as most Secret Wars googling leads to the action figures. Any ideas?

I kinda don't want to get rid of it, and obviously, I'm curious if this is something a collector might be interested in.

I'm not a toy nerd but this has me intrigued - the Secret Wars branding gives it a pretty defined production period, but the art and style of the toy doesn't really match up with what was being produced at the time. It's possible it's a bootleg I guess?

I can't find it anywhere on this site, but they might be able to offer more information or at the very least be interested:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/archives/secretwars/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Wanderer posted:

Unfortunately, the email addresses attached to that site no longer work. I appreciate the tip, though.

Ah, bummer. I know the site's quite old but I was hoping that the kind of person to catalogue 80s toys would also be the kind of person to keep an eye on various old email addresses. Good luck finding out what it is!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cloks posted:

Moon Knight by Jeff Lemire

Unlimited turned me into a Moon Knight Guy. I started with the 2014 Ellis run and just kept reading. Loved all of it apart from the Bemis run from 188-200 - I just didn't click with his take on the character. There's only three issues of the new run from Jed MacKay on Unlimited but it's fantastic so far.

For something short and cosmic there's a five issue run of Beta Ray Bill from 2021 that I really enjoyed.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Binary Badger posted:

Even the wacky / pointless Legacy Quest arc?

Definitely start with the Moench / Sienkiewicz run so you can appreciate how Ellis took the best elements from the other runs and refined / renewed the character in better ways.

I think Legacy Quest might have been before I started reading? The stuff I read was like... volumes 7-8 or 157 - 200 using the legacy numbering? Then I did exactly what you suggested and read the first run which was fantastically pulpy with some incredible art, I remember geeking out about it itt

At some point I'll try and read the other bits in the middle but I think a chunk of the 80s stuff still isn't on Unlimited.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lobok posted:

I'm catching up on Amazing Spider-Man by finishing Slott's issues and just got to the Marvel Legacy part where they brought back the original numbering. For Spencer's run they started with a new #1 again?

Is there any active series still on the legacy numbering? I like the idea of collecting everything under a single numbering system but there's loads of weird stuff like Hulk getting all of the Tales to Astonish issues even though he doesn't appear until like issue 50 something

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think the way Marvel does things now is perfect. Restart every book every few years, but have a tasteful big number under the issue number so completionists are happy. Sometimes I think they pull the restart trigger too soon, but if you are changing the entire creative team, and especially if you change most of the premise, it is a whole new book regardless of numbering so you might as well get that #1 issue sales bump.

The more I read comics the more I appreciate Dark Horse structuring lots of their titles as minis. BPRD and Hellboy were so much more accessible because of it.

They definitely get to have their cake and eat it that way, keep putting out #1s but also mark the big anniversary issues.

At least nerds have stopped buying 3 copies of every #1 under the mistaken assumption they're a good retirement policy, so they're now just good ways to mark different arcs.

It would be cool if they had an option to view using legacy numbering on Unlimited, but I guess that would make the holes in the library much more apparent.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

IUG posted:

I never read Bendis' X-Men stuff, and jumped back on to X-Men stuff right after they just did their House/Powers of X stuff recently. New status quo, and doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
https://www.howtoread.me/x-men-jonathan-hickman-reading-order/
This guide seems to be the order they came out in, and seems up to date up until a few weeks ago.

There's been only like two or three titles to skip in the entire X-Men run so far, so it's been pretty great. (Fallen Angels, Children of the Atom, and X-Corp are the ones to skip.)

There's some weird stuff in here like putting X-Men #6 immediately after X-Men #1 which I guess is because it has a lot of flashbacks? I'm generally not a fan of trying to enforce a chronological reading order on a series though.

Once you're through the back and forth of HoX/PoX each issue has a timeline in the back indicating which issue you should go to next (again this is generally in publication order) and outside of crossover events that are clearly signposted the precise order's generally not a big deal.

And I can second skipping Fallen Angels, CotA and X-Corp.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

As it's up now on Unlimited I figured I'd give Hulk #1 a read and... I didn't hate it? I never expected for a second that it would compare to Immortal Hulk and "Banner is the real monster" is kind of played out, but the Spaceship Hulk concept is fantastically silly enough that I'll see where it goes. Then again I liked the start of Cates' Venom run too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Deformed Church posted:

Wait what have I got to read to watch my lovely lovely government get their comeuppance?

The X Men thread might be able to be more specific but most of the fallout is unsurprisingly in Excalibur.

On the subject of Marvel accidentally overlapping with real world stuff, I decided to check out the recent World War She Hulk event in Avengers and uh awesome timing for a story that involves Russian false flag terrorism and establishing a nation of vampires in Ukraine