Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good loving lord, did Daredevil not need a King in Black tie-in.

Actually, I'm fairly sure nothing needs a King in Black tie-in, because it's possibly one of the dumbest crossover events Marvel has ever done and I don't even know what kind of reader is it aiming for but, really, Daredevil?

It was already weird when even Black Cat relaunched as a KiB tie-in, but I could imagine some so-called MBA going "oh, it's to help boost sales", and its creative team is making the best of it. But Daredevil? Here's a perfectly well reviewed, well selling noir book. Let's throw in some stupid alien goo that turns people into functional demon zombies. I'm sure it won't clash tonally with the setting and that its cast will surely find a way to solve this invading alien goo thing and not have us waste time reading how it turns out they can't fix the invading alien goo thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve been getting the Black Cat series in TPB format and Vol3 just came out yesterday, this series is still great.

It is! It's just such a fun series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Having Wolverine be the host in the future is dumb.

Wait, this is a thing? This is a real plot that is on-going in some book I'm not reading? I'm going :psyduck: right now.

It's certainly a unique take, though. A very dumb one, but unique alright.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Runaways showed up out of nowhere today. I love this run, but it's been months since the last issue and the next one is scheduled for April. While not a good sign, at least it hasn't been axed yet, so thank you for small favors like this whoever in Marvel's taking the shots here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

It's long enough that it's really asking the audience to stretch to recall Chase is probably hooking up with the plus-size cutie from the grocery store.

God, I don't even remember that.

I just checked and last issue was four months ago. I wonder what's up with the massive delay. I really thought they had canceled it (thank the gods that wasn't the case).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'd read anything by Zdarsky, but his Spider-Man has a special place in my heart.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ugh, I guess he has to go. Like yesterday.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wow... just read the latest ASM. I hadn't kept with the last two pages of posts 'cause I wouldn't want to be spoiled, so I understand I'm not saying anything new now after catching up, but I still need to say it.

I wasn't entirely enjoying Zeb Wells run up to this point -- felt kind of mediocre -- but a new status quo for MJ, Spidey, and even having Ms Marvel on the cast were all interesting ideas, so I kept giving it a chance and wanting to see where it would go. And okay, turns out the mystery of how that new status quo came to be ended up not being that well handled, but maybe the story was still going somewhere good?

Nope! Not all! #26 is a disgraceful, lovely attempt at making emotional scenes that just made me felt completely cold and going "whyyy". This single issue was so dreadful, so awfully written and badly planned that the whole exercise to get here, an entire run of 26 issues may as well have been completely obliterated because none of it mattered. And I'm memory holing this whole venture for myself and likely never touching anything written by Zeb Wells ever again, which a year ago, still remembering rather fondly that Hellions run of his was not something I've ever expected to feel.

Good loving lord. How could an experienced writer think handling the kids that way or pulling a cheap death was good storytelling? How would an experienced editor look at this garbage and go "yes, yes, this is exactly what makes a good story and a great cap to 26 issues of build-up, plus we didn't know what to do with that beloved character anyway!"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zdarsky made a rather amusing parody of a Youtube unboxing/influencer thingy video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIskM6S7vP4

The amount of deadpan :allears:

But it also serves as a creative promo for his Spider-Man Omnibus, which looks pretty good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Rainbow Rowell did the most recent Runaways, right?

Yeah.

I wasn't expecting to find neither a Captain America or a She Hulk run on someone's Top 3, so I'll have to go and give those comics a try at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How would you rank Daredevil's recent runs (up to about 20 years back)?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If most writers could pick the artists they are working with then no one in their right mind would pick Greg loving Land.

Only editors like the guy's "work".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How's Cantwell take on Hellcat? Did it turn out good?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sesq posted:

I didn't really care for it, and I have the unpopular opinion of liking his Doctor Doom book. It leaned way too hard toward gritty street level than I was prepared for, feeling like a fairly edgy run on Daredevil or something. Certainly a far cry from Kate Leth's run or recent appearances in various She-Hulk books. It had Sleepwalker in it, if that's appealing or the opposite of appealing for you.

Ugh, that doesn't sound good at all. Thanks for saving me the time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, what's wrong with Brian Wood specifically? Don't think I ever recall that author being on the legit problematic list.

vvvvv thanks. Good to know.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 22, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:capitalism:

Edit: this came off worse than I intended to. I do not know anyone who likes Jason Aaron. I do not like Jason Aaron. Yet, he keeps getting big work: Avengers, Superman, TMNT... and now a beloved character in comics worldwide (duck comics are huge across the world, especially in Europe). Are there legit Jason Aaron fans who keep buying his work everywhere? I don't get it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I did not read his Thor run. I'm aware it's known as his best work, but it's never been a character I had much interest on. I will be trying to look up a couple of trades for it to see what all the praise is about -- maybe he really hit gold there.

Scalper was the first thing I read from him and I did enjoy it a lot back in the day. Punisher MAX less so -- it felt too goofy on occasion for the story it was trying to tell. Wolverine and the X-Men started as a breath of fresh air, then became quite meandering as it went on, especially when he was doing two books at once (the former and Amazing X-Men). His recent Conan run was the most boring of the new writers Marvel had working on the character when they got the rights again.

And then, there was Avengers. I very much disliked everything about that one and it seems his worse habits became that much more.

When I said I don't know anyone (and I meant IRL) who cares for his work, it's more of a... what's the deal here? Did his name suddenly get enough pull with even the more casual audience that it merits all the books he's getting recently?

As pointed out a couple posts above, he's (arguably) "good to great". Tons of writers are good to great. They don't get all the chances he's being given. And when they fumble, they don't get to do it to high profile characters.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'd read Marauders first so the two Sabretooth minis hit harder. Not just the parts with Nanny&OM either, but the whole hypocrisy between the formation of the Marauders themselves and what happen to a different group of undesirables.

Those are all great comics and worth a read.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

I think you mean Hellions, though easy mistake to make given Emma stole Sinister's team name, and Sinister replied in kind. Both a really good books to check out though.

:doh:

drat it. Yes, Hellions, not Marauders. The earlier Marauders wasn't bad, but really it's Hellions that shines among those two and makes for a good companion book for LaValle's Sabretooth work.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This but for Roxxon's Thor.

Wait, there's really a comic with that name? I thought it was an comic in-joke in the actual Thor book?

Edit:

nemesis_hub posted:

Such a good and hilarious issue, love Al Ewing.

Well, this post wasn't here a minute ago. Gonna get the issue ASAP.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Haha, remember when Jubes was depowered, but not a vampire yet, and they had her join the New Warriors and she got cybernetic thingies that simulated her powers BUT BETTER??

And then no one ever mentioned them again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Spacebump posted:

The Krakoa era started with Xavier in Phantomex’s body.

God, I had forgotten that mess of a storyline entirely.

Well, he's been resurrected a couple of times since.