Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

IUG posted:

This seems like unnecessary new #1.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site only started a new thread with 2099 in the title to distract everyone from the fact that they were just exposed as being wrong about editor's note boxes

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That mean Gwenpool is going to be in Squirrel Girl?

Well, her name is, at least

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

Narrator: "It wasn't"

Second narrator: "It really was"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mulva posted:

Nah, he needed a bit in the time out room to let the douche chills pass. And Young Scott was, absolutely, a better character than he was right around the time he died.

I'll agree he needed a bit of a time-out, but you can accomplish that by having him just wander off-panel into the woods for a couple of years instead of "he died off-panel and everyone thinks he's Literally Hitler except it turns out he died preventing the needless deaths of basically all of mutantkind but we're still supposed to think he's a douche, shh."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Isn't this the third Kraven? Or did the original come back to life?

The original came back.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also nominate Peter David Hulk.

Does Simonson's Thor count as a long run because if so I'd like to make a nomination

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Why is he blue?

colloidal silver

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Given some of the stuff we've seen in the Hunt For Wolverine prequel miniseries, I'd guess that the shoulder emblem has something to do with Sotiera, which is the company/organization that seems to be involved, somehow, in the story. Having seen the ending of Weapon Lost, maybe it's their uniform or some poo poo. I expect the look to be abandoned by the end of the mini anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well otherwise he'd be naked.

Actually...

So... Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X? I could get behind that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

eatenmyeyes posted:

Maybe Doom is just a bit nuts from the face thing. Making him a villain again seems like a tough sell.

Making a dude named Doom into a villain again is never going to be a tough sell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Is that a reference to what Owen did to him in Secret Wars?

It is! In fact, what Owen did to him is never really undone. The Maker comes in slices. Sometimes when he gets hit hard enough he goes back to being in slices.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Is Avengers Arena poorly written or just totally misconceived in the first place? I like Hopeless a lot as a writer but I've heard nothing but awful things.

It can be both.

Hopeless has improved by leaps and bounds since then, mind you, but Avengers Arena was just so bad.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

The only way they treated her was to say "Hey this book doesn't work in the direction we're going, but you've done work on it and here's payment for your work. There is also future work for you so let's just let this one go and move on" which is not unreasonable or unfair at all in any way.

the Daily Beast article posted:

And when the publisher nixed two years’ worth of work on The Vision, cutting a chunk of expected income, “they wanted it to be clean and quiet, with the implication—not even—with the understanding that they had more projects for me in the future if we could keep this clean and not make anybody look bad.”

Emphasis mine.

Also I'm not entirely sure that "we're gonna not publish the thing you've been working on for some time now and you'll get a kill fee which is lower than you'd get for published work and won't include any royalties but don't worry, so long as you behave we'll give you more work so that *real* money can come down the line, probably in at minimum twelve months away, I'm sure that won't cause any financial hiccups for you right?" qualifies as 'not unreasonable or unfair at all in any way.'

Is it a part of the way comics are published, and dozens of other creators have had that happen to them, and they didn't have the wherewithal to do anything beyond shutting up and taking it? Yes. But that doesn't make it okay.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Dr Druid is still dead. I am sure there are other b and c list characters that are dead because no one remembers them. Like I think most of the thunderbolts that Graviton murdered are still dead.

Actually isn't he hanging out in Wierdworld these days?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. And he's bad now.

He was always bad. It's just that now he's a bad guy.

Seriously, Dr. Druid's big thing as an Avenger was getting pissed off that a woman was in charge, mind-controlling everyone into thinking he was The Best so they'd make him Chairman, and then getting seduced by Nebula because he is just terrible. Dr. Druid was always bad.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Isn't Ronan dead?

That has absolutely stopped characters from appearing in comic books before.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

I really wish I read anything about it before seeing it on the shelf and assuming this is what it was and buying it. Schadenfreude on me I suppose! The only one I liked and enjoyed was the Deadpool "The Thing" homage, but I would've liked to see it as a full issue one-shot.

I admit I got a kick out of "What If Phantom of the Opera was about the Punisher," but I suspect you have to be, like, an extra nerd to love that

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Daughters of the Dragon #1 is on Comixology today, by me, Travel Foreman and Jordan Gibson. I'm super proud of this one!

You should be proud of this one!

Read this book folks it's really, really fuckin' good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spidey's like right next to the logo, though, that makes him unmissable

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That's an Avengers story, isn't it?

I'm talking about his own series.

Nah, that was his solo book, it was during his "gently caress you Bruce Banner is a brain on Stark or Richards' level so now he's building forcefields and poo poo" period. Was that Mark Waid who was writing it? I think it was.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Banner always at the Reed/Stark level? That's like half the tragedy of the whole thing. He's one of the smartest people on Earth but half the time he's a dumb monster that's stronger than literal gods. If he's not smarter than, I don't know, Peter Parker, why are we supposed to care about the Banner side of the equation?

...if the only reason you'd care about 'the Banner side of the equation' is him being smart, well, that's on you I guess. I kinda feel like it'd be tragic regardless.

Anyways, yes Banner's always been a genius, but I've always disliked (and yes I'm well aware that this is basically just 'how it works' in comics and this is on me, no need to point it out) how being an expert in a field of science in a comic book makes you an expert in, apparently, everything; Banner's always been an expert in radiation, which I guess extrapolates to being a top-tier physicist, but to go from that to "I can make forcefields and zap guns and robots with advanced AI and poo poo" seemed like a hell of a jump to me, personally.

At any rate, the point is yes, that scene happened in a Hulk solo title

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait for Doreen to have a new Skrull friend.

Is it wrong that I kind of want her to turn into a romantic interest for Brain Drain?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

so like whats the point of spidergeddon, get rid of the expanded spiderverse cast

that you have a huge movie for right now

is that the point

Marvel?

Spider-Geddon killed off Spider-UK and Spider-Man Noir in the opening act and then no one else in the entire story

it was bad and pointless

Argue posted:

Gah, I thought it was an ongoing. :( How about the new Gwen comic? Was that also just for the duration of 'geddon?

Nope, Gwen's book is ongoing and I know things (tm) about where it's headed and it's gonna be bonkers and great. Issue #4 is gonna be kind of a Spider-Geddon epilogue/wrap-up and I'm really looking forward to it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I "liked" how they just left Rachel stuck as a hound. "Oh well, she was too damaged, we couldn't do anything for her." :effort:

I half-suspect they took Rachel off the board for the upcoming Age of X-Man event, either because she would break it in some way (doubtful) or because they didn't have a place for her to slot in as a character (more likely).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

I think??? it was because post sw earth got rebooted earlier in the timeline, before shuri became Queen and then died at the battle with the black order. The shuttle launch sequence happens early in Hickman's avengers run, and then secret wars closes with tchalla returning to that point in time

Thanos, the infinity gems, and all the cosmic mega bosses had their rebooted stuff happen in the ultimates

This is it; it's because the SW reboot returned the status quo back to where it was in the first issue of Hickman's Avengers, so instead of the Wakandan kids finding the first Incursion they're launching the spacecraft that is gonna set up Alpha Flight (the current version w/Captain Marvel, not the OG Canadian one). So the poo poo that happens in Hickman's Avengers neatly writes itself out.

Depending on whether you liked Hickman's Avengers or not, this is either a neat storytelling device with metatextual qualities or a cheapass copout

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

It's not lost on me that they're saddling spider Gwen with the emotional weight of dealing with the aftermath of spidergeddon...

That wasn't editorial saying "oh, there are consequences; give them to the girl on the girl book," if that's what you're getting at; Seanan McGuire wanted that story. She's a friend of mine, which is why I can tell you that she's been wanting to write this kind of a comic book issue for... poo poo, more than a decade now. I think when we first were talking about it it was in the context of some of the Academy X kids. Her delight at finally being able to go "look, consequences!" in a comic has been actually delightful to watch, even as writing the issue and getting the art for it was leaving her wrung out because she got her own recently-deceased cat Alice into the Felicia Hardy scene (this isn't telling tales out of school, she just did a big whole long twitter thread about this).

Seanan's a big believer in consequences; look at the vast majority of her novels and you'll see that "oh crap this thing happened but now I have to deal with the aftermath and it sorta sucks" is a pretty common theme (look into the Wayward Children books, btw, I suspect you, site, would enjoy them in particular), 'cause it's sort of her jam.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

Okay well now i feel better about it then. I was like ughh when i saw the pete and miles books didnt even notice that it happened but wait lets have the girl be the one who's damaged

I figured, which is why I wanted to say something (and checked with Seanan about it because I don't want to tell tales out of school). Yeah, she fought for that issue.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Apraxin posted:

I doubt she'll be particularly moved to know that a random goon on the internet really likes her run so far, but I've got no social media accounts to tell her myself, so feel to pass it on if you think it's appropriate :).

She does in fact appreciate the compliments from a random goon, and says you're the best. ;)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember in X-Men 3 she had super speed and also the ability to tell how powerful other mutants were?

No, I have been trying to block that film from my memory thankyouverymuch

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Looks like lots of good stuff, but yeesh, Age of X-Man sounds like a hard pass.

It looks like it's probably gonna be a lousy event, but I'm excited about some of the writers on some of the more ancillary minis, at least.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's not gonna be a big Infinity Stones-centric event helmed by... Ralph Macchio.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd delete myself from Twitter the moment I signed on as an X-writer.

The amount of self-promotion that's basically expected of any writer (comics or otherwise) these days is ridiculous. If you're not on Twitter, you'll be told to get on it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

there's a not insignificant amount of people who think you can only be bi if you're actively in a same sex relationship and anything else doesn't count

those people are loving awful

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Not only was Daughters of the Dragon #3 really fun and entertaining it is a delightful dip into obscure characters that I remember and am always surprised that someone else does (Hey! Andrea Sterman!) and on top of that it was badass as hell.

Okay that is all I'mma go back to reading comics now I just hadda pop in to let you all know that

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks Skwirl! Man Without Fear and Daughters both finished up today, but I have a new series in the works with Marvel that I'm very psyched about. I'll talk about it once it's announced!

Do that, 'cause I haven't read a book from you I didn't like yet.

Seriously I thought I was the only person who remembered Andrea Sterman, ex-psychiatrist turned government researcher turned SHIELD agent turned psychiatrist who got sucked into the whirlpool current that was Jack Monroe's life - oh that's right, she hung with the V-Battalion for a while too

God the life of a comics supporting cast member must be so strange

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

Yeah good lettering is weird cuz it's not like the other aspects of comics in that (for me at least) it's imperceptible and just clicks when it's good but it's the bad and illegible lettering that you notice. So ty for the hard work mos

Seconding this; when lettering is good you just kind of absorb it. It's only when it's bad that you notice it.

Or when it's outstanding, but there's only one Tom Orzechowski

Anyways that article was great, thanks for sharing it MoS!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

By the way MoS, while it's off-topic for this thread, you (and everyone else involved in the book holy poo poo) are killing it on Die

that is all

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1096488031954055168

...shouldn't it be GIANT-MEN?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alaois posted:

yeah someone should ask that Greg Pak guy how he feels about Marvel's Asian superheroes

Nilbop posted:

Probably something to the tune of "I sure as poo poo would love to get away from "Master of Kung Fu." Ah poo poo, Marvel want him on the cover again? With nunchucks too? Well, at least they don't want Sunfire in this one."

Nilbop posted:

Everyone knows that I used Pak's new book as a springboard to talk about representation of non-American heroes in general and not Pak specifically, right? I feel like I've been clear about this, even going so far as to cite Pak's creation of non-stereotyped heroes as a reaction to this problem.

uh huh