Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, "Hulk doesn't kill" here is more of a threat than a heroic statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Second narrator: "It really was"

Nah, he needed a bit in the time out room to let the douche chills pass. And Young Scott was, absolutely, a better character than he was right around the time he died.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything interesting. Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything.

That's an improvement because most of the things Cyclops has ever done have been terrible and stupid.

e: Like I don't know how people can call him the boyscout, he's one of the bigger assholes in the entire X-Men. And that's a long loving list.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 15, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Why can't Cyclops be an ideal student learning at the foot of the paragon of virtue and wisdom and make only the choices that are easily marketable, or small, meaningless and equally marketable mistakes?

It's more that Cyclops is a moron whose personal life is like a war crime and he's basically never done anything productive, so there's really no loss in killing him. At least the young one is nominally before he turned into a total jackhole, and knows he grows up to be a jackhole, so that at least gives him the chance to make interesting choices. Cyclops is a poisoned well of expectations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Still got the sale.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
....there's, you know, his father. Who he killed. That's kind of a big one they never took away.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The man called M posted:

Just wondering, are there any runs on Thor that isn’t loving badass?

Most of them really. Like a good modern run is great, but you can instantly bring any character back to Earth by showing what they were doing in the 90s.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

In case you were wondering if Ben Grimm's wedding would buck the trend of 2018's failed comic marriages, it did! Mazel tov!

The bigger news is that Franklin used the occasion to debut a new hairstyle.

He looks like a moron.

I see why Rachel married him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Trying to view the Hulk through a feminist angle is a unique take. And there is a discussion about why men are allowed be publicly angry and it’s accommodated and why when women (and particularly women of colour) do it, it’s not allowed.

But at the same time, I think Hulk is a bad character to try and examine this with.

The next page is him sort of acknowledging that without dismissing her. At first she thinks he's mocking her, but he generally admires the way she finds anger to be something useful and productive. Rather than something to keep locked away and ashamed of, to deny is a part of you. Because her perspective is right for her, but Bruce Banner is insane. And he was before he was the Hulk. He doesn't have an anger problem. He has a "horrifically abusive childhood, flipped out and killed his dad, memory holed the experience" problem. He isn't normal, he doesn't just need to count to 10 and take some deep breaths. He needs serious help, which he rarely gets, and he needs to have a period of time without some new trauma, which he never does.

And later on she sees the Hulk hulking out, and she tries to tell him that he can stop literally tearing someone apart. That he's already won. Showing how profoundly she has misunderstood what the Hulk is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Quentin Quire is easily a top 5 post Claremont mutant.

What a profoundly sad judgement on the state of post Claremont mutants that that self-absorbed school shooter still makes the top 5.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

It will never not be funny seeing people complain about Quentin Quire or Damian Wayne. Yeah, they’re jerks

No he's literally a mass murderer. Like he went "Waaah I'm adopted" and just started randomly killing people, partially to impress a girl that would later kill herself rather than be around him. And that's basically his first like seven stories. Randomly decide to kill folks because he's a sad brain bitch. And then sometime around, I don't know, Wolverine and the X-men? Most of his past is just sort of forgotten, and he immediately transitions to punk kid rather than sociopathic monster. And personally I don't think it works, but hey. I'm glad if you like him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I feel like Betty may have some issues to work through.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Sliding time scale works as a general "gently caress it" band-aid.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Incidentally spoil tags are useless when there is no context for what they are spoiling.

Immortal Hulk by the way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lobok posted:

Can you tell us who else is going as well?

I want to make a list of the pros and cons.

I broke my monitor trying to tackle you through the screen for that pun, thanks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Skwirl posted:

They're probably just dating Cable to piss off Quentin Quire.

I feel like there's never been a point in the history of Marvel where a Marvel character not Quentin Quire gave a single gently caress what Quentin Quire thought.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I trust Noh-Varr to make his own choices.

I loving don't, have you read like 90% of the things he's been in?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I will never not be able to see The Monarch finding Dr. Venture's robot from season one or two when I imagine Doom's obsession with Reed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

So they've done a Spider-Totem thing with the Hulk? The Hulk is part magic now?

Always has been. It's rare that people will remember, but every so often someone has Bruce Banner follow some ghosts or something, because seeing them is a thing he can do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I don't even particularly like America Chavez [I find it literally impossible to take anything that came from Vengeance seriously.] but even I am looking sideways at that. It's feels like when Byrne had Vision torn apart on page and completely took away his emotions because he's just a stupid robot man. Like someone is taking a character down a few pegs for no reason.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Quotey posted:

Oh gently caress, Sue is with Namor in Heroes Reborn isn't she

He's a creepy loser whose longest running relationships were with his cousin and a dolphin. I don't know why people keep expecting him to score.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

Donny Cates is on Hulk. My money's on gamma becoming an emanation of Knull in five issues.

I mean statistically speaking character defining runs are often followed by a period of either mediocrity or outright failure.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Hmmm, all that Knull bullshit made me realize I've actually been checked out completely on anything related to Venom for like....well actually I never cared much for Venom when I was a kid so I guess forever. But I hear in the abstract that there have been some good modern runs of the character, with Flash and with Eddie. Are there any worth checking out as just self-contained runs I won't feel too bad leading into worse space Dracula?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That seems like enough of a starting point, thanks all.

Oh, new page....I am going to be profoundly sad when Immortal Hulk is over and Hulk will go back to seeming like a comic book, and not some sort of insane fever dream of a man trapped in a bookstore entirely made up of gothic and religious literature. But I repeat myself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I will say that even incredibly boring events can occasionally throw an incredibly weird turn at me, like "Why is Flash Thompson a dragon?".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, those poor souls. i do not envy anyone who goes to court against disney. over copyright law, no less!

The thing is that it's actually the best area to do so, because Disney has been fighting for years to make the law in favor of the dude 100 years ago that made something. Because, of course, they are the dude 100 years ago that made the something. In this situation though, it's someone else that is the dude fighting someone trying to take their poo poo and they have decades of Disney's legal precedent's to base their position on.

They are still probably going to lose or settle, but it's also probably the best shot someone can take at Disney.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean technically chi is still a thing of which he has knowledge, and the Iron Fist itself isn't the totality of supernatural martial arts. Danny without the Iron Fist is still.....like 60% the same exact character, he's just not going to be winning any fights with speeding trains.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
In media res is a choice for starting out your story, but it's one that often leads to total disconnect from the plot and apathy. I have no idea what is going on in Hulk, and I've been given no reason to care. Still about what I expected from whatever followed Immortal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Also comics Natasha Romanova was born in like the late 1930s or some such, she's had a lot of time to practice her spy skills.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Azubah posted:

That depends on current leadership and if they're okay with a human dying for the resurrection.

I mean it used to be Deviants, it's entirely possible they could just set it to mutants and use aggressive suicide as an attack tactic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The thing about the Knull story is Knull never does anything. Ever. From beginning to ignoble end. The entire loving crux of all those years of storytelling is this dude who isn't charismatic or threatening, and doesn't even mechanically impact the plot much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Sure but like, how long have those two physically existed? Less than their apparent age, right?

No. They were born before Wanda lost her kids. They are as old as they appear to be. They are literally just two kids who have the souls of Wanda's dead children.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Found it in Legion of X #2:

It was because a trickster god found Arraki worshippers, so to test whether he was worthy of this they forced him to manifest and all fought him (he wasn't)

I'm pretty sure there's more people in that tribe that worships Steve Rogers as a god, and yet there's no Steve Rogers god out there. Poor science Nemesis.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's a finite amount of space, and even real characters that are interesting have trouble getting it. I imagine it was as simple as nobody had an interesting concept of what to do with them. That's it. Nobody fought to make something with them, so nothing got made. After all, if you could pitch anyone, why would you pitch *them*?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's an entire thing where they argue over mutant clones like Laura and Gabby, and it's like "Motherfuckers, all you are is a bunch of mutant clones of dead people.". Hell is full of your stupid dead, stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The real deciding factor if someone is actually Captain America is if they've ever been a werewolf. I don't make the rules, it is what it is.