Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the one where he bullies Peter into making him a costume and becomes "the Spider" then Peter rigs up all these gadgets including Doc Ock arms to stop him when he goes evil. What was the other one?
You know, I'd love to see that one get revisited. There's so much potential there. Plus he's 100% certified to have survived Spider-Verse (because he didn't have the powers that the Morluns snack on).

I had an idea for a story that gathered the alternate, non-Spider Peter Parkers together for an adventure.

You'd have Hulk Peter, from Bullet Points, Nova Peter from that one What If?, the aforementioned Spider-Man who got the octopus legs, maybe the hacker one from Powerless, and I'd throw in Peter Parker, Agent of SHIELD from a world where his parents lived and got him into the family business. Plus of course, the Amazing Spider-Man we all know and love.

The villain they're summoned to fight? Another Peter Parker never bitten by the spider, driven by the death of his Uncle he witnessed and was powerless to stop, to try and acquire power of all kinds - physical, political, and metahuman to ensure that he never gets hurt ever again. Basically kind of like the Regent, except of being generic doomsday foe, he's obviously got an emotional stake for our heroes.

In other Spider-related news, it seems that in the latest Renew Your Vows they establish Baby May existed. I imagine that might get followed up on.

Also Spider-Geddon still looks like reheated Spider-Verse, so I'm definitely giving it a pass, even if it is Gage writing it. The 'ooh, there's gonna be deaths' teasing doesn't help at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Hey, we can have 2 Hawkeyes and 2 Spider-Men, why not 2 Spider-Women?

Well, we also apparently can't have two Wolverines...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Noice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Android Blues posted:

Excited to see oneshots featuring Nanny, Warwolves, Dracula and Mojo II.

You mean Mojo II: The Sequel.

Also god dammit, I was 100% out on Spider-Geddon but they announced a Spider-Girls miniseries by the RYV writer. I thought I was out and they pull me back in! Oh well, I will disregard the main event as planned.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

Why is Spider-Man in hell :ohdear:

That's what you get when you sell your marriage to the devil. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Spider-Mans, I genuinely didn't see the reveal coming in Renew Your Vows that Annie's 'clone' was actually RYV Mayday all along. I mean, they even established she existed in an earlier issue, and that Sinister had raided the Oscorp genetic research labs, but :tviv:. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Quick PSA: Renew your Vows owns and if you like Spidered Mans, you should read it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, seriously?

So AGotG is going to feature Executioner, and Kid Loki? That's two characters that should have stayed dead in that book. I loved Journey into Mystery, but bringing Kid Loki back is a mistake, in my opinion. Because him being back means that he's probably going to get turned evil, (heck just that page seems to hint at it), and I wont be having that sort of nonsense.

Whats the thread consensus on Cullen Bunn? All I know is that he exists. Is it all likely he can stick the landing?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

It's like someone at Marvel read the backlash to Batman 50 and thought "huh, so they like marriages huh?" and decided that everybody was getting hitched.

Except Spider-Man, obviously.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

So uh did renew your vows get stealth cancelled after the spider-girls mini? The way jody is talking about it on twitter it sounds like it mightve been, but i hope not :(

https://twitter.com/Jody_Houser/status/1042513909729488896?s=19

Btw December solicits are out
:ohdear:

I was buying it from a brick-and-mortar store and everything!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Geddon is okay but not having Peter in it is silly. Especially when characters are pointing out how he's the one who has always beaten the Inheretors.
Honestly, making Peter the most important out of all the Spider-Mans kind of annoyed me. I know he's the one we followed, but there was literally nothing stopping him from as soon as they grabbed him and explaining the situation going, 'Oh, Morlun? Super vulnerable to radiation. Makes him weak as a kitten.' But no, it took Silk stumbling rear end-backwards into a post-nuked world plus an autopsy in 2099 - two seperate instances - to figure out something Peter knew all along!

Have they forgotten that information/developed an immunity this time around Like, I know it took a stupid amount of time for them to figure it out last time because Slott had written it with Otto as the main character and didn't bother to adjust the story when they switched it over to Peter reasons, but they figured that out by the end. So what's stopping them from grabbing someone or someones with radiation powers (like, for example, Firestar) and basically completely neutering them as a threat?

Ugh, honestly I feel like Spider-Verse shoved the entire Spider-Line into being 'the one with multiverse stuff', between Web Warriors and Spider-Gwen popping over for what seemed to be every other issue.

Speaking of Gwen, I wonder if her 'Ghost Spider' identity will involve channelling the powers of dead Spidered Mans? There's certain a mountain of corpses she could draw from, there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, having just watched Into The Spider-Verse (it owns, BTW, go watch it), I decided the time was ripe to see how the webslingers are doing in the books. I heard that ASM was good now, even if Nick Spencer's writing it now, so I decided to grab the first few issues on comixology. It feels weirdly and pleasantly familiar, considering I actually got into the comics at the tail end of the JMS era. Having Peter & MJ together again is nice. The fact it leads with a flashback to Sensational Spider-Man annual is a nice touch.

Also, it almost immediately shoving Slott's previously set-up status quo in the garbage was somewhat amusing.

Is it me or...might they actually be considering undoing OMD? That Sensational Annual was basically a celebration of the marriage before OMD, they get Peter & MJ back together, hell, there was even a very prominent shot of MJ's ringless hand with Peter's narration saying there was something missing...

Also (Maybe slight Into The Spider-Verse spoilers) the 'real' Peter (for that matter, Miles' Peter) was married to MJ, so there's even some of that there brand synergy going...

I mean, I guess it's still unlikely since I gather Quesada's still quite highly placed, but I figured maybe with the changing of the EiC, it might be happening?

Is ASM going to get dragged into Spider-Geddon? Because I think I might skip those issues...I only got Spider-Girls because I like Spider-Girl classic and RYV. And I'm super bummed that might be the last time I see either until Spider-Pocalypse or whatever Spider-Verse 3 is going to be.

And Miles' new book also looks good. Just wish Ganke did a bit more.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Tortuga posted:

Somebody at Marvel needs to fired over the fact that Miguel's only appearance in Spider-Geddon was a multiple-character splash page in the last issue.

Also, for looking like it would be a culling of the spider-characters in Marvel, the only deaths I can think of are Noir and UK, and they happened at the very beginning. This whole story was a waste. Silk was one of the central characters of the last Spider-Verse, and I think she said, maybe, two things at most this time around.
Well, after the last one was a culling of Spider-people and was total garbage, so...I guess it's an improvement?

So, I wound up buying the Spider-Girls miniseries (I wanted to support Houser/RYV, OK?) and actually quite enjoyed it (probably because it seemed to primarily avoiding the Inheritors plot and focusing on their interpersonal interaction). Out of curiosity, was there anything related to RYV/Spider-Girl in Spider-Geddon #5 to go on? I mean, I'm not going to read it, but still, I'm curious.

Also I guess that (very minor Into The Spider-Verse spoilers) Miguel might have been too busy in a pointing match with Spider-Man '67 to get involved with Spider-Geddon.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 20, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archyduchess posted:

It has its fans but it really depends on how your tolerance for DeFalco is. Mine is zero but I see what it is that he offers to people who like his schtick.
Yeah, speaking as probably the biggest Spider-Girl fan in BSS, that's true. Maybe give it a try and see what you think, it's on Unlimited now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archyduchess posted:

Take it from two separate Lotties-- Spider-Girl may or may not be good.

Now I want to see the Amazing Spider-Lottie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

I'd love to see a Spider-Girls ongoing. I enjoyed the dynamic between Mayday and Anime.
:agreed:
I would also except a Spider-Girls spinoff movie of Into The Spider-Verse. Throw in Peni if you need someone from that.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Spider-Geddon killed off Spider-UK and Spider-Man Noir in the opening act and then no one else in the entire story

it was bad and pointless

Nope, Gwen's book is ongoing and I know things (tm) about where it's headed and it's gonna be bonkers and great. Issue #4 is gonna be kind of a Spider-Geddon epilogue/wrap-up and I'm really looking forward to it.
Well, let's be honest, Spider-UK was probably the most expendable alternate Spider-Man, although what the heck where they thinking killing off Spider-Noir? I mean, they knew he was gonna be in Into The Spider-Verse, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

What the hell happened to make him look like he grew up and became Matthew Lillard from SLC Punk?

Dan Slott, obviously.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Monaghan posted:

I've been catching up on spencer's amazing spider man and I really like how he pretty much completely undid that horrible poo poo with black cat turning into kingpin light and made her and spidey friends again :). I always liked how those two characters played off one another.
Yeah, I'm subscribed to ASM now. It's nice to have a Spidey book to look forward to again after Renew Your Vows and Zdarsky's Spec run ended.

X-O posted:

The whole conversation was so well done with Felicia explaining how being robbed of Peter's identity had created a hole in her life which is completely understandable.

I'm not one of the big haters of Slott's run like a lot of people but it seems pretty clear right now that one by one Spencer is really intentionally undoing a lot of that run.
They're even dropping hints that they might bring the marriage back, which granted probably isn't happening, but I WANT TO BELIEVE.

site posted:

Can't believe zub put a bunch of z-listers on the champions and then nonchalantly says oh yeah honey badger and silk are on the backup roster. YOU DON'T PUT GABBY ON THE BACKUP ROSTER SHE IS YOUR A-LISTER
:agreed:

Speaking of Z-Listers, I'm surprised (but happy) that some of the Avengers Academy kids are actually coming back - we had Finesse show up in Unstoppable Wasp as a villain, and Hazmat's coming back in Captain Marvel.

Still bummed that Mettle is dead though. Frigging Arena/Undercover...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Sometimes Food posted:

Cheers mate. Rewatching Thor 3 and going to see Spiderverse kinda got me to sign up. Finding Miles and Gwen series was easy. Thor and Pete have a... few more options.

I was also gonna check out that new Hulk one after someone posted him eating demonic investment bankers.

What's the best modern Spidey btw?
Zdarsky's Spectacular is the objectively correct answer here, but Spencer's current run is also actually really good. JMS' run on Amazing (Sins Past aside) is also another excellent run. Shame about how it ended. And while Renew Your Vows wasn't 616 Peter, it is delightful.

Speaking of JMS, his Thor run is another pretty good take. And of course, if you're willing to go back that far, Simonson's run is still pretty timeless, in my humble opinion.
Oh goddamn monkey's paw, I didn't want Deathlocket back! :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hell yeah, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man was great! It managed to build off what Spencer's been doing in ASM. That backup story is a hell of a thing - I definitely feel the ramifications are going to be felt for a while. I feel like there's been a fairly major sea change regarding the Spider-books, lately. I just hope it manages to last.

Captain Marvel was also excellent. I may be biased due to my love of Avengers Academy, though. It seems like maybe Hazmat might be a supporting character? I heartily approve, if so - it's always nice to see a neglected character being used (whether old or new). It's not even the first time she's mentored a younger heroine, so there's precedent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thanks for reminding me to subscribe to Spider-Gwen.

I've gone from not buying any Spider-Books to subscribing to nearly all of them. How did this happen?

(OK it was probably Into The Spider-Verse and Slott being off Amazing).

howe_sam posted:

Plus, Gwen was teammates with Billy and Noir in Web Warriors, so she had more of a connection to them than Miles or Pete did.

Man, I feel like I was inclined to dislike that book due its associations with Spider-Verse, but dang it was a letdown.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

To be fair, Spidey in Howard the Duck only comes off slightly better than NSM sometimes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Tortuga posted:

Yes, it is.

R.I.P. Web Warriors. I should have made more people buy copies.

Apraxin posted:

In the wise words of TVIV: if you didn't want it to be cancelled, you should have been more people.

But yeah, RIP, it was good dumb fun

I did kind of want to like Web Warriors, but I think I was still holding on to lingering resentment over Spider-Verse (and that it just seemed like 'Exiles, but all Spider-People'. The fact they seemed to use Mayday as an afterthought didn't help. Not to mention that they seemed to make Gwen the most competent and de facto leader (despite her own book, by her own creators, establishing that she was still pretty inexperienced). And Noir was made randomly racist?

But there were still some great bits. Spider-Ham 2099 was one. And that bit where they wind up on a movie set (not realising it was a movie set), and the actress playing Spider-Gwen just decides to join the fight since she took martial arts classes, and everyone else is like 'OK cool, welcome aboard!'

Honestly, I think that Into The Spider-Verse has laid to rest basically all of the misgivings I had with Web Warriors as a concept, and if they brought it round again I'd give it another chance. Unfortunately I feel like Spider-Geddon didn't really cover the Spider-comics in glory (well, except for Spider-Girls and Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

april solicits just dropped

e: another infinity event getting started already and loving rob liefeld is back

e2: guess i missed this last month but domino ending actually has simone rolling it into a team book called hotshots with her and black widow and some other people??

I love that Unstoppable Wasp cover with the ITSV cameos.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, I've been on a Spider-verse binge lately, and I decided to check out Arana/Spider-Girl's first series on Unlimited. It holds up pretty well, actually. Kind of would like to see her cross over into Miles' book - since they're both Latinx kids from Brooklyn.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Ewing, I decided to reread Contest of Champions, since Exiles is ending next Wednesday and I wanted some more multiversal shenanigans.

I am profoundly disappointed it died so quickly. Ditto Exiles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of hope that X-23 will just become Laura and Gabby adopting a whole bunch more clone sisters of various stripes until it's turned into a team book and rebranded Wolverines.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Cool.

Now give him a cowriter on F4 and slowly push him off the book.

Give it to Ewing, he's basically perfect at doing awesome cosmic stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I see they're going with the 'can you picture this image airbrushed on the side of a van' metric.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it feels like this first arc of Captain Marvel is a stealth A-Force relaunch.

I'm 100% OK with this.

Also both Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen were great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Svensken posted:

SAVAGE AVENGERS:

Elektra: Addicted to murder
Punisher: Same
Venom: Is Venom
Conan: the Barbarian
Brother Voodoo: ???

It's half a Thunderbolts reunion!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

All the Marvel Future Fight original characters showing up in this one.
I wonder will they also work Sharon Rogers into that book too.

I read that as Contest of Champions and got a bit disappointed. But they'll always be the real Champions...of my heart. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now name one German hero. At the risk of stating the obvious, Nazis don't count.

That one guy that Morlun ate in his debut story in Amazing Spider-Man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Covok posted:

Ezeikel isn't German, was he? And I thought he faked his death in that story? It's been almost 17 years so I could be wrong.

No, there was a German superhero that Morlun was snacking on on his boat ride to New York in his debut arc.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

This is a really good interview, about an important story Marvel are telling.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/exploring-mental-illness-with-unstoppable-wasp

Also, Unstoppable Wasp is a delightful series - Whitley & Gurihiru are a great team. (And, previously, Whitley & Charretier.)

Yeah, I missed out on Unstoppable Wasp when it first came out, and I'm glad I was able to get on board with it when it came back.

In other comics news, I'm enjoying FNSM, although I'm slightly worried that it's going to have the same problem that Zdarsky's Spec run did of starting advertised as a street-level book and bleeding over into more fantastical - I mean, I loved Zdarsky's run, don't get me wrong, but I feel a little put out anyway. But we get the Aunt May reveal in issue 5, so I'm hoping they can striek a balance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I must admit, as stoked as I am they're doing a reprint of What If? 105 that I can own, I'm trying to discern if there's some wider pattern to the choice of True Believers reprints this month. The Kraven's Last Hunt one makes sense to tie in to Hunted in ASM, for one thing. And highlighting Colleen Wing & Mist Knight makes sense on account of Daughters of the Dragon having just come out. I'm probably just engaged in tinfoil hattery, though.

I'd recommend grabbing the What If? 105 reprint, though, it actually holds up pretty great. And I'm not just saying that because I'm BSS' Designated Fan of Spider-Girl.

Congrats on the Black Cat ongoing, Vulpes Vulpes! I'm glad to see it's going to follow up on the stuff with the Thieves Guild from ASM. Does this mean there'll be a Gambit team-up down the road?

Dawgstar posted:

Nice get on Black Cat! Looking forward to it.

Will have to pick up that Spidey issue and hope it explains how she got from Maggia crime-boss back to basics, but even if it doesn't, it's fine. Black Cat gonna Black Cat.
Felicia actually showed up in an arc of ASM (#8-#10) already covers that stuff, if you want to get caught up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, that's a bummer.

Hopefully it gets a second lease of life a la Unstoppable Wasp.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

So is Under York something that already existed and I had no awareness of or is it something Tom Taylor has created for this run on Spider-Man? Either way I'm digging it.
:rimshot:

But I think it's something new? The whole point of it is that they've been cut off from New York since the 30s.

Although how Mole Man or whoever never found it is a mystery. Mind you, I'm not sure it's under New York in the literal sense.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it seems like Spencer's been given carte blanche to just overwrite everything done with Kraven since Grim Hunt. Now granted, Kraven's a Spidey villain and the stuff in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl was already contradictory with his appearances in Scarlet Spider, but that's a hell of a power move. I'm actually quite interested to see where Hunted is going, mind you, but I'm really gonna miss Kraven, the surprisingly chill Hunter and his Kra-Van. :smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Argue posted:

What if you just have Kraven get hit by that splitting beam Spencer invented, splitting him into a Grim Hunt version and a Squirrel Girl version

I would accept this.

That does raise the question of where the Ana that appeared in Scarlet Spider came from, though. Unless they went back to the Savage Land after the events of Scarlet Spider.

You could say that the USG Kraven's just one of his clone sons, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ElNarez posted:

and Donny Cates has been talking about doing a comic book event, and the teaser kinda sounds like it's about symbiotes

it's a Venom event
Yeah, isn't there a Venom-based story coming in this year's Free Comic Book Day book?

In other Spider-related news: I'm liking Hunted so far. It was a bold move of Spencer to ask people to read Kraven's Last Hunt first (then again, comparions were going to be made regardless), but still, Hunted is a pretty drat good story.

I'm worried about what happened/will hapen to Mary Jane, though. :ohdear: