Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got the game and played a bit, got a few questions:

1: How 'prevalent' are bounty hunters? I want to go with the Holy Sword start, but that $20K bounty made me :stare: the first time I started such a game. It seems it might lock me out of a significant portion of the game if I go for that start.

2: What basic building stuff do I need to look out for if I want to start a settlement? Do I need to collect 500 Wood, Stone and Gold or whatever, or is it all just Building Materials? What if I want to craft stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

All right then, thanks for the help! I'd also like to ask one more question that I forgot about the first time: how do stealth modifiers work? I've got a helmet that says "Stealth Effect: 0.10x" and my ninja pants give me "Stealth Effect: 1.10x". How do these work together? And if I weren't wearing my ninja pants, would I really have 10% of my usual stealth from one helmet?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dang, that's one lovely helmet then! Guess I'll just look elsewhere for head protection, thanks.

buglord posted:

Also how can I kill people that are KO’d? It’s annoying getting raided, then have to deal with progressively smaller battles time and time again after they recover.

Yeah, it's a bitch trying to do this. Only solution I've found so far is to carefully mouse over all the fallen, and if it turns red stick a katana into them. Even then it's not 100% effective- sometimes I've looted the battlefield, and while picking through a 'corpse's pockets, the dude would wake up and I'd have to stick him all over again.

Also, holy poo poo are the Holy Nation a sack of assholes. No you fucker I'm not gonna sell my Shek buddies off as chattel, what the gently caress are you on about.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a force-attack hotkey or whatever, just in case I want to turn bandit myself, or go nuts with Not!Kenshiro on the Holy Nation, but it seems like there isn't. Bummer.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Then you go to talk to the United Cities thinking "oh these must be the good guys. I'm gonna join em and kill the fundies" and come across a noble shooting starving peasants for sport.

poo poo

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What about copper sheets or whatever they're called? Are those used for anything?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I build in the Swamp, will I have the UC and/or the HN asking for taxes? I can deal with bandits and poo poo, but the taxman is a threat no amount of swordsmanship can defeat.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What affects your chances of getting a Rebirth slave to join you? I had a pretty high level party of mine waltz in and start poo poo, got three escaped slaves who joined my party with holyshit good stats. I just tried a second time, and nobody joined up. Am I missing something?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, building a base is quite the hassle- is there any way you can set up an entire production line in the Hub? So far I can see myself making endless suits of armour (Raw Iron -> Plate Beating Station -> Heavy Armour Smithy, along with Hydroponic Hemp -> Hemp Loom), just wondering if I could do the same with weapons.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fair enough, I was just looking to have weapons to sell anyway.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wait, I thought you had to bring the bugman to the queen alive- you can kill him? That's made things a little easier for me, at least.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anywhere where Scorchlander recruits consistently spawn? I want to set myself up in the arms industry; I even have a great spot right next to Last Resort with middling water and plenty of iron, now all I need is the labour to make it so. No slaves, mind you, I have principles :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd suggest saving up to buy a house in Squin and just research poo poo before you build anything. Once you've got some basics researched, I'd then suggest building up as close as you can to a fortified outpost.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just so's we're clear, Strength doesn't add to combat damage or anything, right? It only affects attack speed with heavy weapons and carry weight, correct? Because I'm having my dudes lug raw iron all around the place to build up their strength, and it is sloooow going.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
While we're on the subject of working stuff, if I want to ensure my biofuel generators are constantly topped off, do I only Shift+rmb the generator, or do I have to do that for the generator, the biofuel converter, my hemp fields etc.? Just want to know if this is gonna be a one man or two man job.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Woohoo, I can't wait for the rest of the map to be finished, I want to see what lies in that shadowed space. Hopefully there aren't more settlements to be placed in the available areas, or resources to be shifted- I've got a base in the middle of a Fog Island 'bowl', and after the blood, sweat and tears (so many tears) I shed securing it, I'd need a bit of a liedown and a cry if anything were to disrupt it.

Also, I'm thinking of modding the game so that the Plate Jackets once again become the Perfect Armour™. Does modded armour carry over between patches, even if the base armour's stats change?

dogstile posted:

Looks like for now, luxury features like mounts and animal taming have been dropped, which isn't too big of a deal for me but I understand it's annoying a few people.

I read somewhere that the dev's using bought assets here and there, so maybe there was a problem finding/integrating those elements. I don't really care, what's there is already good, but I do wish there was some way to reliably farm meat and leather other than traipsing all over creation on a 4x spawns map.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

buglord posted:

I've reloaded twice because turning a Holy Nation Farmhouse into a cold blooded mass grave of ground beef didn't meld well with my "restoring sanity to the wastelands" headcanon.

But reducing the Holy Nation into a hell of blood and ash IS restoring sanity to the wastelands though :confused:

Also, how do I find out what a turret's firing arc and range is? I want to protect my base with some bigass towers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Broken Cog posted:

Is it possible to actually wipe out a faction for good?

I think something like that might be coming in the next update, but don't quote me on that. I heard that if you can get relations high enough with the Shek Nation, you might be able to get them to crusade against the HN, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, potentially dumb question here- does wearing multiple layers of armour help? Can I 'stack' a shirt and the armour above it, is what I mean. Also, is there a unit limit or the like? Because I've got quite a few duders, and I can't seem to talk to recruitable characters anymore, uniques or generics, which is sad.

EDIT: I've just got the idea of simply modding a start where I've got all the uniques (or at least the ones I want, to hell with Headshot and other slavers)- has anyone tried this? Will it break the game?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 7, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if two armours provide 100% protection to the same spot? Will the damage be applied to one, then any remainder to the other?

That Guy Bob posted:

If you make the mod right the uniques won't show up at all in their usual recruitment spots, if you do it wrong you can end up with multiple Beeps.

I see nothing wrong with this scenario :colbert: Seriously though, it seems like certain NPCs are coded as 'unique', which if I'm reading correctly, means that my mod should override their generation in their specific towns.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to change spawn points in the ingame editor? Because I had a squad of paladins just pop up in the middle of my base (there's no way in or out except through the gates, I checked). What's the use of walls if they can't keep undesirables out? :sad:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's a ton of hilarious weird quirky poo poo randomly distributed around the map.

Especially if you're a skeleton or running around with one; there's some amazing stuff all over the map, and a robot buddy's got a lot of stuff to share about things. Like the second death laser satellite that's still operational...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

puberty worked me over posted:

Not going to spoil anything but do not underestimate the fog zone and its foggy inhabitants. Very well designed zone. Especially the portions where pack animals can get through the bypasses.

The tragic thing is that some areas in the fog zone are perfect settlement bases with plentiful iron and copper, great fertility and water.

But then night comes, you forget you have lanterns and it's Pitch Black all over again.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the only time I've ever reloaded in kenshi was if a dude I couldn't afford to lose died, or if I lost a limb near the beginning of the game and Hobbs couldn't carry me/it'd take too long to earn cash for limbs. Otherwise, just keep going- like Dwarf Fortress, losing can actually be fun!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you do this as a Holy Sword start, you might even get a cool $20K into the bargain!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it just me or are there a shitload more fogmen around? I'm having difficulties building a fog base that I didn't have when I did so before the raid slider was implemented. Is there a way to turn down raid difficulty/numbers while a game is in session?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, a character with 100 in MA in this game basically turns Kenshi into Fist of the North Star.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vasudus posted:

Holy loving :lol: so I never really hosed around with Martial Arts, but I have my main recon crew of ninja hivers. I got attacked by some Red Sabres and one of my dudes that was lagging behind the pack came running up and missile kicked one, which apparently...sheared off both their legs and one arm of the offending Red Sabre. That hiver has been eating his Wheaties.

People really aren't kidding about Martial Arts being awesome- you basically go from Fallout to Fist of the North Star.

EDIT: Fights against high MA dudes is basically this. Also, since MA trains your Toughness as well, if anyone who isn't themselves an MA master fights you it basically turns into this.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 19, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wondered why Vain's soil was so red. Then the first Beak Thing came around and I soon found out.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Percelus posted:

solo playthroughs are the most fun having

Look at this wasteland incel not having a harem of big titty battle waifus to travel the wastelands with :smugbert:

On a more serious note, would turning up damage done increase the rate of Toughness experience, or should I go in the opposite direction? If it helps, it's for a martial arts playthrough.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NeurosisHead posted:

I decided to try the slave start. They're not going to feed me, are they?

Nope, but you'll never starve either, just remain permanently malnourished until you free yourself and as many slaves as possible. You ARE going to free as many slaves as you can, right?

Until then, enjoy the best start in the game. Never stop trying to break out, and when you do fail to fight off the Sentinels, enjoy your free healthcare. Repeat until you have a bajillion Strength, Dex, Toughness and Martial Arts.

EDIT: IIRC it's even better because being malnourished gives stat penalties, which in the world of Kenshi means better XP gain!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have any idea how to increase the chances of a Rebirth slave joining you if you free them?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vakal posted:

Is dual wielding any good in this this game? I don't see it brought up much.

You can't dual-wield, but having three different weapons (including your secondary slot) will have your character use the best weapon for the enemy at hand.

Or you could use the Slave Start to train up MA and forgo all that nonsense :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cardiovorax posted:

You can put two weapons in the upper weapon slot for some reason, but I have no idea what (if anything) that actually does.

Put a polearm and a katana-type weapon up there; your dude generally will take out the polearm for armoured enemies and the katana for unarmoured dudes, unless one weapon is so drat superior it'd do more damage in either case.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Greader posted:

And that's how a Holy Mine ended up feeding the close-by fogmen group. Now to figure out where I can find some higher ranking Holy Nations guys. I did manage to knock out an inquisitor in his sleep and drop him off at a pole but I wanna find something like a named guy to offer up as food.

No, don't! Give the named Inquisitors and the Lord Phoenix to the Flotsam Ninjas and/or the Shek for tons of Cats and to make friends with them!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wanna meet babby Cat-Lon and romance him :unsmigghh:

I also wonder (seriously this time) if we could somehow prevent the Empire's fall.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cardiovorax posted:

If it's anything like the first game, then the Second Empire will already be in the process of falling and splitting up - the general gameplay structure just doesn't really work if there's a single world-spanning empire that runs everything and polices itself properly.

The Second Empire was only a couple or so centuries behind 'present-day' Kenshi. 1000 years ago? Hoo boy, this is for deffos First Empire stuff. That said, we already know the First Empire was an interstellar, or at least spacefaring organization- we might be playing its first settlers on Kenshiworld.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cardiovorax posted:

On double-checking, the Kenshi wiki says that the Second Empire happened at least 3000+ years ago and the First Empire was many thousands of years even before that, but I'm really not sure how well-defined the setting even is, so I'm not going to argue.

I really don't know what the point of a Kenshi game on an unsettled world would be - the entire fun of it comes from messing around in a place full of dozens of factions and oodles of clutter to dig through and appropriate for yourself. It wouldn't really be very conducive to what at least the first game tries to be, anyway.

Jack2142 posted:

I dunno my impression from the little bit of lore I have read so far is the first Empire is older than a thousand years, and that it has been a long time since the second empire fell.

Huh, I don't know where I got the wrong dates from then :shobon: Carry on!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the Armour King definitely remembers the arse-end of the Second Empire, it's just that he's got robo-autism and didn't pay much of it any mind except the bits that had something to do with armour. Or maybe he has some kind of PTSD and has retreated into the armour business to escape :smith:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone know how to remove the taint of faction armour from, well, armour? I've got the armour of Lord Phoenix and his lackeys, and I want to wear them for bragging points without having to fear my Shek buddies and the UC trying to chop me up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno; despite having 200 head health, soldier drones can't wear helmets while workers can, which more than removes whatever benefits that extra health brings. Skeletons can't wear helmets either, true, but some quick repairs will have them back up pretty quick.

EDIT: I suppose being constantly headshot and knocked out would really help build up toughness, and with 200 head health you won't really have to worry about being instakilled by decapitation, but it's still a fringe benefit, at least to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vakal posted:

Don't worry guys, I'm sure he'll pull through.

I honestly do my best to heal up any dudes who survived my punching their limbs off, because I feel kind of bad about the whole business :shobon: