Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Are there mods that are only available on Steam Workshop? Am I screwing myself if I buy the game through GOG instead?

e: bought it on steam and it crashes on startup. I'm trying to figure out how to get the game to run at all; already installed the directX 9 runtime :emo:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Leal posted:

Well that was a fun foray into the cannibal plains. I run into a group of shrieking cannibals and apparently they didn't like how I shrieked back at them, I booked it to my dear allies the Flotsam Ninja outpost. When I arrive I'm greeted with the ninjas already fighting a different group of cannibals. So now there is this 2 v 1 v 1 going on with my guys and the ninjas fighting shrieking cannibals and the other cannibals. The shrieking bandits come out in the end and thankfully grabbed the other cannibals before running off.

Is there a mod that changes the UI so when I hit more then 6 members it will split them across 2 groups on the party menu bar and not minimize them? I've got a party of 10 and their thumbnails is the size of... well my thumbnail. I wish it would split them 5 and 5 with larger thumbnails. Making 2 squads for a crew who will always be around one another is annoying.

They'll eventually loop around into a second row as you add more people. I have a team of IIRC 11 or 12 and it finally started a second row.

I figured out my crash on launch bug from a few pages ago. It turns out the game can't detect my trackball as a mouse, and it will crash immediately if it thinks you don't have a mouse plugged in :lol:

For people using the low res texture mod for performance - does it still help if you use the full-res terrain textures? I usually play pretty zoomed out so it doesn't really bother me except that the landscape itself looks like pixelated rear end

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's a good habit to pull everybody a few hundred feet away from the battlefield, go into sneak, then heal up. Also, collect a cutlet or a patch of skin from every downed beak thing to keep them from ever getting back up

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have, in that I had a smiling, ingratiating white man with a bible to deal with the fuckers on my behalf, then I had to run from them as my people started to acquire prosthetics and robo friends, then I got swole and wiped them off the face of the earth :getin:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AFAIK the builtin storefront will only sell booze and food (I've never actually tried it), though there's a mod that lets you sell a lot more items. IMO you should just move to Squin, where the merchants are, to save yourself time

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The anti-slavers don't seem to want to take the guy who ran a slave camp off my hands. I wonder if the nearby skin bandits will be more accommodating?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, hydroponics is real nice, though it's pretty deep in the tech tree. I ended up feeding my people gohan (rice + vegetables). It takes up more inventory squares than food cubes but it sidesteps all the trouble of baking bread

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

People always talk about towns getting overrun over time and important characters disappearing - presumably eaten or shanked by bandits - but I haven't had this happen in my game

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dareon posted:

Okay, when I installed a mod that said it gave starving bandits loot, I was expecting like, maybe a trade good occasionally. Not giant backpacks full of AI cores and hemp.

Yeah, I'm finding some of the mods are ridiculously unbalanced. I have the "shops have more items" mod installed and it gives the bar at The Hub a bunch of ancient science books and engineering research. Every vendor has like half a million cats, give or take $100k. I definitely would not recommend it for a first playthrough but it makes living in town and selling off loot a lot easier.

I also installed the weight bench strength training mod, and people say it is cheaty but idgaf - training a primary combat stat should not be as weird and counterintuitive as carrying around dead bodies and rock for weeks on end

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

Last night I settled in The Eye just north of Venge because there's boatloads of iron and some copper there, and I like the aesthetic of having death lasers blasting away a few meters from my settlement. Thing is it's technically UC territory so they got real mad when they showed up and saw the hemp I was growing, I fought off a few waves of attacks but eventually they overwhelmed me and... left? I'm not hostile to the UC and they didn't even take my food or enslave anyone. Now I'm not even getting visits from the tax man. Did I discover the one weird trick to never paying UC taxes again, or is this just temporary?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but the same thing happened to me with the Shek - I let them take food every time they visited but one time they showed up and just wanted to fight. They came back with ever-larger raids a few more times until it culminated in a "Shek Vengeance" event, which was a good couple dozen Hundred Guardians who absolutely kicked my poo poo in. Then they left and never came back :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

They'll switch to the secondary weapon if the main weapon is a 2-hander (doesn't fit in the secondary slot) and they get an arm disabled/chopped off, or indoors if the primary weapon has a penalty

e: beaten

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Hell if I know why trying to "hide" in your locked, 1.5-feet-square slave cage pisses them off so much, tho.

In my experience the guards don't care if you go into stealth mode in your cage (and you seem to get XP for it if there are enough people moving around outside it) but if you're sneaking when they try to let you out, that's a paddlin'

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

LMAO that the pathfiding in this game is a commercial product that someone is selling, in and of itself. I wanna know who the developer is. Have they no shame? Have they no decency?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The stat for not shooting your own people is "precision shooting" and you level it by shooting your own people. Give 'em a toothpick and set them behind your melee group and it'll get into the sixties pretty fast

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mouse over the bounty box and it'll show you which jurisdictions they're wanted in. Not everyone is wanted by every faction

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

All of the factions in the southeast (reavers, crabby bois, hivers, various skellies) are completely hostile toward each other by default, so that is probably the easiest place to recruit thunderdome contestants

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

Just bought this game as it seems extremely my.jam.

What are newbie tips? I built a house in the hub and sprinted to a different town. Got that Hobbs dude. Mined some Cooper to buy some blades. I think I got a good handle on the whole choose your own adventure aspect but what are Good things to.know?

How do I make building materials? I want to make my own space

Getting more people makes you more likely to win fights, or at least patch up and carry off your wounded people after you lose. $3K recruits have no skill at anything, $6K recruits will at least be good at something, and they'll tell you what it is. There are also unique recruits spread across thew world, who are free, or have good stats, or unique dialogue. There are four unique recruits in Mongrel, including everyone's favorite, but getting there can be a bit of a challenge run like a motherfucker

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Hi I am dumb. I am in a bandit town (shark) and baited stupid people to attack me in a bar while standing 5 feet from obviously super geared mercs. They got hosed up and have a bunch of bounties on them now. I am poor and would like to capitalize on this. Can I sell their asses to the local gang that runs the place somehow? I dont see police and dunno how cashing in a bounty works.

Mouse over the bounty and it'll tell you which faction you have to turn them in to. AFAIK nobody in Shark hands out bounties but I could be wrong. Generally there will be a police/HQ building in town with an officer you can talk to

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

okran disapproves of armoring your limbs apparently.

Okran also disapproves of prosthetic limbs. Praise be unto Okran! :downs:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

With enough research you can eventually make all of the limbs except the thievery/crossbow arms. Also, Edge weapons aren't really worth the high cost to unlock because they don't get the 10% cut damage bonus that real Edgewalker weapons do, and a skilled smith will crank out a high proportion of Edge I weapons as critical successes at the next tier down.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Amuys posted:

I'm curious why the City Heroes are tolerated by the UC. They don't seem to get along with anyone very well and are pretty much bandits.

Picture them with maga hats and confederate flags

e: lol^^^

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Unwanted Zone, obviously

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Best guess is orbital solar power relays that have been weaponized.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vakal posted:

Does having 80%+ encumbrance level strength faster than say 30%?

Yes, it scales with encumbrance, up to 75% max. And as stated above, carrying around a buddy or a corpse levels it faster.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Every Shinobi tower has a plastic surgeon, though you have to be a member to make use of them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, it basically just pops up the character creation screen

e: one of my strongest recruits ever was a Band of Bones guy who had invaded my base, got his rear end kicked, got picked up by slavers whose asses I also kicked shortly thereafter, then was eternally grateful to me for liberating him. I renamed him from "Band of Bones" to "Bob" because I'm super uncreative

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 2, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

the AI in Kenshi won't try to block/dodge any attacks not targeting them, so big AoE attacks are devastating for both players and enemies that clump up.

Ha, I never knew this, and in hindsight it is probably the only thing you need to know about melee strategy in Kenshi

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Having a human male in your party will let you get away with having women, shek and hivers along, but they'll still attack skeletons and people with prosthetics on sight

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You don't need to sleep at night but you do need to go steal some poo poo

(sleeping in a bed makes you heal faster if you're wounded but isn't ever required)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Donkringel posted:

Is there any benefit turning in Holy Nation leader's to flotsam ninjas? I am already allied with flotsam, so if all things being equal I should probably turn faction heads in to the shek for relations boost

I think it bumps your faction relation with them up to 100 but doesn't really change anything in the game world. I don't think they pay you, either, but I could be wrong. Having the Shek as allies is definitely worth it, though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Chad in Flats Lagoon is a competent martial artist. Grab any generic skeleton recruits you come across in a bar because they are just so much better than meatbags even if they start out with zero skills

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You can click on objects you’ve placed and pause their construction, which will allow you to lay down plans but not have all your materials spread across a half dozen farms or windmills

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

What's a good training dummy mod for strength that isn't too cheaty?

I used this one, which caps you at 60, and gets pretty slow around 40. Honestly, you'll make similar progress carrying a backpack full of ore and a corpse while you have a job assigned

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've had a stat increase after an animal grew to elder age - athletics jumped from ~70 to 90 when I wasn't looking. All the times I've watched any of their stats train, the green progress bar will fill all the way up and loop back to 0% but the number won't change. :iiam:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Mongrel has good stuff for sale but it's a terrible place for a base.

I want Holy-Nation-sempai to notice me start sending raids, but I'm all the way up in the Leviathan Coast. What's the fastest way to piss them off?

Go kidnap a named high inquisitor. I'm not sure whether they'll send the Wrath of God raids just for getting your relations to -100

I'd say World's End and Squin are the best cities on the central-west/northwest side of the map to use as a staging area. Though if you buy the building in World's End you have to cover the roof in mini windmills in order to do any crafting or hydroponics because the city has a massive electricity deficit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tabletops posted:

hmm. so today I went back to one of my spots I had found for a base and prospected again to compare to some other spots in the same area.

yesterday this exact spot was 70/75/20 arid/green/swamp, now it's just 70/75 arid/green? does this just change at random?

You're probably off a few yards. Prospecting only gives you the fertility % for the ground right under your feet (I think?). If you wanna see how crops will grow you should go into build mode and wave a farm plot around the area you're interested in

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You need to do research to unlock some of the crops. Riceweed requires two riceweeds and some books. You can buy the plants reliably in the swamp villages

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Now you get to upgrade :toot:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sillybones posted:

When bandits raid successfully what do they steal exactly? Just food stores? Could I buy a building in some town and move all the excess food there?

Basically, I want to leave my base with everyone and just have hired mercs there for a while but I don't know how realistic that is.

The black dragon ninjas will raid your food. So will the Shek government if you give them permission. Some of the other factions probably will as well but most will just kick your poo poo in and probably stand over you or run back and forth while you bleed out.

If you leave your base unoccupied raids will just wait at your gates for you to get back. I’m not certain how they’ll interact offscreen with hired guards.

It’s possible to end the black dragon raids entirely by taking out their headquarters in the border zone, which also nets you some bounties and a top quality ninja sword.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think your stealth move speed is your stealth skill taken as percentage of your normal run speed, with equipment bonuses/penalties applied on top of that. Stealth-boosting gear can actually make you naruto-run faster than you can normie-run. As for getting caught, light level matters, as does line of sight, though once you get to 80 or 90 you can prance around in front of just about anything.

Does perception do anything if you're not using a crossbow or turret? I'm thinking the crab helmet is probably the best all around hat in the game if you're not using ranged weapons, because it only has a perception penalty instead of a bunch of combat penalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Can you completely wipe out the fogmen?

Nah, there's no fogman supreme commander to take down, and killing/imprisoning an individual is actually the only way you can change worldstates in the game