Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1017522956900225024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:) now tell us why globalization is not related to economics

Our progress is because we are able to globally cooperate and communicate on unprecedented scales not because Elon Musk and his ilk who would love to see the planet choke on filth while they live in Elysium hth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

(just loving kill them all already)

hahahaha papa stalin save me from these kulaks

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Jul 14, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a moot argument anyway because so what. Even if true and capitalism was the best thing for us and it is all at the feet of the free market well great it did its job and now is clearly hindering more than it is helping and we should realize that instead of worshiping ideological bullshit or saying that even attempts to criticize/reform anything are somehow incredibly dangerous. An economy should serve society not the other way around.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Jul 14, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I feel like if I saw this in the wild I'd have an overwhelming urge to smash it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comptroll The Forums posted:

LOL at millennials freaking out that they can't all have medical care and decent homes while the top 1% hoard wealth. That's how the entire world has always operated. As bad as baby boomers are, millennials are just as bad for fetishizing 1950's middle class America and thinking that was some kind of normal and sustainable way of life that didn't require constant warfare and exploitation of severely impoverished people. Sorry about your student loan debts but you're still better off than 5 billion people in Asia, Africa and South and Central America.

Hopefully the generation or two after millennials will realize what medieval peasants always knew: sharecropping ain't so bad as long as you can gently caress and make fart jokes, and if you're lucky the king just might discard an apple core near your feet. Just because more things have been invented since the 1200's doesn't mean everybody just gets to have it, just like when Europeans found pepper it didn't mean every dirt farmer suddenly had a pepper grinder in their little hut. 200 years from now history books will reflect on mid-late 1900's America as an aberrant period of decadence fueled by racism and jingoism, followed by a return to normalcy. If they're lucky, literacy rates will also drop off enough that the working class won't have to hear about it.

But hey, if talking about taking down the man and ending capitalism gets your rocks off, enjoy it. History shows that any time a bad regime ends it was immediately replaced by a perfect and benevolent regime and never changed ever again. It's the last generation that has all the assholes, there won't be any more assholes after we get rid of those!

Look at this royalist shitbird

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stop getting your taints reaped by Nurge

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kill your landlord

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

So the moral of the story is that if you're a cog in the capitalist system then there is nothing you can do personally to destroy the system. What you can do is survive, and maybe some outside force will destroy the system, at which point you can have a hand in building a more just world.

That's a lovely as gently caress moral. If no individual will act then were is this mysterious outside force going to come from?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

gently caress THE FINNISH

FUK YOU drat BOG PEOPLE

GO BACK TO YOUR FROZEN DEPRESSED MUD HUT OF A COUNTRY

BITCH

FCKU YOU

IF YOU KNEW WHAT WAS GOOD FOR YOU YOU'D LET SWEDEN ANNEX YOU, bUT YOU DON'T

Enjoy russias freezing cock in 10-20 years you fuckkers

gently caress finland

THANKS FOR THE SAUNAS but THATS IT

Sir this is the gently caress capitalism thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nurge posted:

Goddamnit. I had no idea what this was even about but I assumed it at least happened inside the hotel. Now my hilarious post is factually inaccurate.

It was the shooting where the guy shot up a concert across the street from a hotel room he holed up in.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nurge posted:

It's weird there wasn't more noise about it.

It is though yeah

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fleetwood Crack posted:

peep that $1,000 sundae

I love when they have hyper expensive dishes that are only hyper expensive because teehee we shave gold over it haha so cool!

A tasteless and useless ingredient whose only purpose is to piss money away to show off that you can.

It's not made by a master chef it's not some super rare ultra hard to get ingredients that taste like Aphrodite's pussy no it's just the same $12/plate poo poo but with gold shaved on top.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

That's the spirit! Individual ingenuity. Like that homeless guy making souvenirs out of trash to sell. No whining, just taking initiative either to help yourself or others

using that tiny golden shovel to teaspoon away poo poo
it falls by the ton onto my head
no matter how hard I work
I am still covered in poo poo

namaste

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
orange county should be burned to the ground

quote:

good policies that tolerated so many homeless living in such a wealthy area

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I'm the "total" column at the bottom of a list of percentages presented by a company who's every product is maths based.

Lmao

I didn't see that and it is indeed dumb as poo poo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bag em and tag em posted:

Nice head you have there. would be a shame if something.... heavy and extremely sharp fell onto it severing it from your garbage neck

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Chinese will slaughter every interesting animal in pursuit of dick powders. Thanks MAO you gently caress.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wasn't traditional Chinese medicine literally bullshitted into existence a few decades ago? Seems like we have a worldwide case of alt med bullshit going on everywhere.

But yeah apparently people were grinding up rhino horns for dick pills which led to a lot of poaching.

Yeah pretty much, that's why I say thanks Mao. "Chinese medicine" wasn't really anything other than an amalgamation of old wives tales etc. It's like basically what if you codified all the insane homeopathy, anti-vaxxer, raw milk, Jenny McCarthy types' views and called that "Traditional American Medicine."

Then of course he kept on using Western medicine/doctors for himself because he knew full well "traditional Chinese medicine" is a load of horseshit.

Anyway an article if you are interested: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt..._t_believe.html

quote:

Mao understood he needed to deal with criticisms like those of Lu Xun, Wang Qingren, and Wang Chong in order for Chinese medicine to be taken seriously, both domestically and internationally. His solution was a two-pronged approach. First, inconsistent texts and idiosyncratic practices had to be standardized. Textbooks were written that portrayed Chinese medicine as a theoretical and practical whole, and they were taught in newly founded academies of so-called “traditional Chinese medicine,” a term that first appeared in English, not Chinese. Needless to say, the academies were anything but traditional, striving valiantly to “scientify” the teachings of classics that often contradicted one another and themselves. Terms such as “holism” (zhengtiguan) and “preventative care” (yufangxing) were used to provide the new system with appealing foundational principles, principles that are now standard fare in arguments about the benefits of alternative medicine.

The second part of Mao’s project was to provide Westerners with sensational evidence of Chinese medicine’s efficacy, particularly of acupuncture analgesia. The watershed moment was in 1971, when New York Times editor James Reston wrote an article entitled “Now, Let Me Tell You About My Appendectomy in Peking.” In it, he recounted how Wu Weiran of the Anti-Imperialist Hospital had administered “a standard injection of Xylocain and Bensocain” before removing his appendix. Later, while Reston recovered, acupuncture was used to relieve pain from post-operative gas. Eager to believe in mystical Eastern miracle workers, credulous Westerners misreported the story, claiming that acupuncture had been used as an anesthetic during Reston’s appendectomy, a falsehood that still has currency. Fascination with acupuncture exploded, allowing the Chinese Communist Party to put together a media blitz touting its extraordinary powers, complete with what appear to have been intentionally faked surgeries.

Mao’s vision still reigns supreme, and the present state of misinformation about Chinese medicine is staggering, even in what appear to be trustworthy sources. Cancer.gov, for instance, states that “the oldest medical book known, written in China 4,000 years ago, describes the use of acupuncture to treat medical problems.” In fact, the oldest excavated Chinese medical text is no more than 2,300 years old and makes no mention of acupuncture at all—though it does include numerous exorcistic cures, a common element in ancient Chinese medicine that the popularizers of traditional Chinese medicine did well to forget. (Unfortunately, they did not forget about extracting bile from live bears, a practice easily justified by postulating the presence of qi, or life force, in living animals.)

goddamnit China

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Guizhentang Pharmaceutical, one of China's largest bear bile medicine producers, announced plans in early February to have an initial public offering of stock in the company to raise funds that would finance an expansion of its bear farm and production.

Zhou Chaofan, a professor of traditional Chinese medicine at China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, said artificial bile has only one kind of cholic acid, while natural bear bile has four other acids that improve the therapeutic effect.

The company said bear bile is now used in 123 traditional Chinese medicines, and 183 pharmaceutical companies use bear bile powder in medicines.

nuke this gay earth imo

https://twitter.com/Rasmp42/status/1021077862034690048

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

$11m profit a year but key employees gotta go beg on the internet to live.

Plus also there's gotta be quite a few millionaire players on that team.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Jul 24, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If that owner has even $1 billion invested somewhere (ofc he does) then 1% interest = $1 million dollars and lol lol lol lol lol if you think he's getting anything less than ~5-8% annually (likely more). What I'm saying is the dude makes millions of dollars a year for 0 work and should shell out for this dude's treatment or be killed by the dude's wife on national TV.

Alternatively, MLB minimum salary is $555,000 / yr so have each player on the 25 man roster donate $17k-20k which they should easily be able to afford because it works out to a little less than half a month's salary.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Jul 24, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SplitSoul posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/council-house-kensington-chlesea-grenfell-empty-any-names-housing-a8456906.html

Reminder that it would've cost literally £5,000 to not wrap Grenfell in napalm and murder 72 people. Half of the families aren't rehoused to this day.

Frankly I think stuff like this demonstrates how loving wrong Hobbes was insofar as it surely is evidence that humans are fairly docile and willing to work things out peacefully if there's a chance - however slight of a chance.

Because following that Grenfell story I am astonished that people aren't just murdering Council/Tory representatives at this point. poo poo, I would. My whole family died because you fucks worship 'muh free market' ultra hard and therefore no fire safety controls? And you covered the building in what is basically kindling so it'd look slightly better while at the same time no one could be arsed to actually fix the numerous fire safety complaints that had been made? It's a testament to the survivors that they aren't tearing people apart in the streets.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:thunk:

Are those Chuck-E Cheese tokens???

e: they fuckin are lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

Crowdfunding allows a more efficient way to get resources (money) to where it is needed.

Not necessarily, as people will crowdfund poo poo that doesn't actually need funding. *need* has nothing to do with it, more on this later. Additionally, you need to consider that the companies facilitating this crowdfunding (Patreon, GoFundMe, etc) all take a cut from the top. Last I checked, GoFundMe takes 15%. So basically you're now paying 15% directly into the pockets of a private party in order to "efficiently" move money to where it is "needed."

Oscar Wild posted:

The big government is rife with waste and shouldn't be responsible for all its citizens getting health care.

Any large organization is going to have inefficiency and waste. There's nothing inherent to government that makes it be more wasteful than a private corporation. "Balancing the budget" is for morons who don't understand the Modern Monetary Theory underpinning our entire financial system for decades.

Oscar Wild posted:

Let the people decide.

Which is why we ostensibly have a democracy. We *do* decide, in theory. Referring back to the "need:" Crowd funding allows people to pick and choose what *they* individually care about the most regardless of social need. This allows them to entirely skip the democratic way of people deciding where the money goes and lets them just give money directly to pet causes. If we had no taxes for social programs and relying on charity instead and then Bezos and Gates decide you know what gently caress poor people we care about neutering dogs and that's what our billions will go to - well great we'll get dog overpopulation under control maybe at the cost of millions of humans suffering because Bezos and Gates decided completely on their own that cute dogs are more important. Or let's not tax Apple or Steve Jobs (while he was alive) and he can spend that tax money on anti-vaxxer homeopathic fruit peddlers instead of contributing to a healthcare system.

This whole argument is fundamentally a modern take on the old "charity can take care of the social safety net, it isn't government's job to force people to do it." Okay except charity has shown to be wildly insufficient. If "charity will take care of it" then the billionaire class should be happy to donate enough to pay for healthcare for at least their own employees but they don't. Basically, you're taking an ideological idea as a fact (charity can pay for it all) and then condemning millions of people who won't get any.

More to the point it's another form of "why should I, a rich person, care about society as a whole? It's my money and I want to choose what is done with it 100%. And if some people suffer for that, well they aren't entitled to what I have and they should have done better." You're also being a naive moron if you think rich people will just give that tax money to properly vetted charities instead of using it to further entrench the status quo and their own wealth.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jul 24, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

It's not even a troll, Oscar was joking.

Yeah, the "people worth saving" was the tell there, that's why I dropped it from the quote heh

Idk I was just kinda bored but also people do say that stuff seriously irl so figured I'd post a coubterargument

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Admit it, you just can't help yourself.

ok you're right damnit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also if you make corporations pay taxes, they'll move everything overseas to No Tax Land and you'll be out of a job!

I hate this poo poo too. It's just "oh okay you democratically decide X and we dislike it so we will threaten you."

Leave to skimp on your taxes. We'll expropriate your stuff and ban you from entry to the country again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

To do this would be impossible while also paying local taxes

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

yeah, about that...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/12/17337602/plastic-tote-bags-climate-change-litter-life-cycle-assessments-environment
"I felt really good about myself, until I saw a report published earlier this year by Denmark’s Ministry of Environment and Food that said that plastic bags are better for the environment than organic cotton tote bags. In fact, of all the shopping bags the study looked at — from paper to recycled plastic — cotton tote bags fared the worst: they need to be reused thousands of times to have the same environmental footprint as a lightweight plastic bag, according to the report."

https://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/2018/02/978-87-93614-73-4.pdf (the actual study from the homepage of the Danish environmental protection agency)

In which we discover that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Re the oil futures yes but the price of the future is greatly dependent on potential future profits ie if it becomes too expensive to drill or the price of oil tanks or solar just gets so cheap no one bothers with much oil (or some combo) then futures holders will just have a bunch of capital losses to declare on their taxes. It's not a certainty that all that oil will be extracted and used.

Anyway they are more of a financial instrument than actual purchase of a commodity - there's an old joke about some noob trader who ended up getting 10 tons of corn shipped to his doorstep and not knowing what to do (doesn't actually happen).

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

All companies will be gobbled up by the big ones eventually

Why allow them to do their thing when you can just buy them and force them to do your thing?

By market cap:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

As a dumbass American I can confirm.
So many people have been convinced that taking any time off is a sign of weakness. Work is something to be proud of, not just a vehicle for paying your bills.

It's no coincidence, it's decades of propaganda teaching us that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah you'd think cooks at least would be given paid sick leave but lol nah

Homie can't afford a single day off work slash will be fired slash is called a bitch so he's there sniffling while handling your food.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK posted:

Seems like that have skill pride instead of work pride. And that they have little job loyalty.

Sounds about right

Why be loyal to the job? The job isn't loyal yo you.

I'll do a good job because I take pride in my own work but aside from that if I get a better offer elsewhere I'm gone and I refuse to do bullshit to "help the company out" if it hurts my bottom line or getting home on time. After hours is extra pay, not no pay.

Some older people read that and say "entitled little poo poo" but that's how companies treat employees and it should be no different. Capitalism, free market, etc. Loyalty? What's loyalty? Loyalty is working 30 years for poo poo raises and a stolen pension? Nah.

ate all the Oreos posted:

No millennials have job loyalty because no company has loyalty to employees these days and will not hesitate to fire you on the spot if the math works out so why the hell should we show any to them?

O, I like my boss— He's a good friend of mine;
That's why I am starving out in the bread-line.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jul 29, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Why haven't americans done a mass exodus yet

Why still live in your country

Brain drain is going to be a Big Issue in a decade or two.

Idk I could easily go live in Germany but... I like it here. :shrug: this is where my friends and family and everything I know are.

Just remove the assholes making GBS threads the place up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

20 days are the legal minimum in Germany, but almost everyone gets 30 days. Employers are required to pay you normal wages during that time. Not getting paid during vacation is mind-boggling to me. How are you expected to survive in a month where you take a two week vacation or something. You save up for you r vacation? :psyduck:

You just don't go on vacation, ever, and are grateful for when your two days off are in a row. Assuming you don't just have the one legally mandated day off.

Or of course that you aren't working two jobs in which case you're just grateful if you have both give you the same day off and that way you can get your errands done that day.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha