Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

tokin opposition posted:

Sucking off a CLI with my DSL

dude, those CLIs are nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shame Boy posted:

Don't you dare use a VCR to timeshift programming or fast-forward those commercials either, you bastard. You absolute monster.

In the early 90s I used to record Star Trek TNG live when it aired. I was a wizard at timing the arrival and ending of commercial blocks. My pause/unpause skills were HOT. Most of those tapes are still in a box in my parents house…

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shame Boy posted:

I used to work with someone who liked fuckin' voyager so much they named their first child after seven of nine's human name.

They had never seen DS9.

I was just thinking the other day that Annika is a very pretty name, followed immediately by how much Voyager sucked.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Dog Case posted:

Everything is a brand now. The way you personally present yourself on the Internet is a brand. The way you post is a brand

my brand is “socially crippled lurker.”

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shame Boy posted:

Relax they stopped donating money to hate groups [directly from the company coffers, it now just comes from the family that owns the company]

I know a lot of gay people who were just kinda fine with that and considered it solving the problem, because they really wanted to rationalize being able to eat that fuckin' chicken again lmao

as A Gay, I didn’t give a poo poo when it first came to light any more than I do now. A corporation is evil? Oh, word? gimme that fuckin’ chicken. no ethical consumption under capitalism binch.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

WT Wally posted:

open a power point presentation and put it in reader mode. no jiggler required.

:aaa:

I will try this first thing tomorrow and if it works you will be etched in my memory as a hero. loving Teams has recently started not delivering messages if you’re away. So you can’t just look over and see if the icon is blinking anymore. now you have to become available and then BAM a bunch of messages appear. gently caress Microsoft for catering to these awful control freak assholes.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
if only…

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
What.

What in the gently caress is going on in this thread right now?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
It’s funny how work has been going since The Great Resignation stopped being reported on. It didn’t stop happening, it just stopped getting coverage. My company still can’t hire anyone to do anything and everyone still there is skating by on bare minimum effort. I’ve been trying to slot more and more into that mode, but I’ve got a “Protestant work ethic” thing that is very hard for me to kill. I do take 90 minute lunches most day though.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I really hope I get to watch him go somewhere in a rocket in my lifetime, because the odds are good he will not be coming back.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone posted some kinda folky song a few years back about this and it was honestly pretty good

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao2dHEB7L-o

I like it. Reminds me of later Chumbawamba

https://youtu.be/4yfAdtVPqGQ

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shame Boy posted:

All those graphics cards just switched to mining some other coin though, it's not like the miners are just going to go "darn, you beat us, guess we'll throw away the entire global supply of graphics cards that we've bought over the last half decade".

e: Oh good Marketplace covers that, I didn't expect them to so I didn't initially check lmao

allow me to drop this here please: https://soundcloud.com/relentless-picnic/ep-26-this-is-marketplace

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I watch dick proenneke's documentary at least twice a year. I wonder if it's seasonal for me or something.

I’d imagine this goes without saying, but I’m here to tell you, if you ever get the chance to go to Alaska then loving take it. Every time you turn around it’s just knockout gorgeous.

I got my copies of Alone in the Wilderness parts 1 and 2 in Denali and I wish I had the guts to do what he did.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

THIS is the poo poo that’s going to unmake our society. When a critical mass of current and potential healthcare workers just finally give up and say, “gently caress this I’m out” never to be replaced we’re so, so hosed. more intense and sooner than expected. lol. lmao.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

st augustine was a son of a bitch

this cannot be stressed enough

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Biplane posted:

this may be controversial but hell, i'm saying it: death 2 america

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Was listening to the latest Planetary Radio podcasts from the Planetary Society over the weekend and it was a super depressing one-two punch all about how public-private partnerships are necessary now for everything followed by a deep dive description of how Congress formulates NASA’s budget every year and how they’re not even going to keep up with inflation anymore. Of all the awful poo poo discussed, when I heard them say (swear to god), “Space Suits as a Service,” I cracked a ping I didn’t know I still had.

There’s something so depressing about how we handle space stuff now. it used to be like the one thing we could all point to and say, “look - we can do this cool poo poo, and it’s not about money.” Maybe that’s naive, but it still makes me sad.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nixon pulling out of Vietnam was going to endanger the drug pipeline that the CIA ran from the Golden Triangle back to the States - they didn't need to kill him, but they did depose him.

The CIA infiltrated CREEP with James McCord, who deliberately bungled the Watergate break-in so that its perpetrators would be caught, Mark Felt leaked the cover-up to Woodward and Bernstein, and then CIA Director Vernon Walters leaked the entire plot to Congress so that they knew exactly what to look for as far as incriminating evidence of a cover-up.

Notice how there's a distinct shift to Latin America in the 1980s after Saigon falls.

We really are Just That Evil, aren’t we? It’s taken me 20 years to deprogram from blind obedient incremental change voter, but poo poo like this is still crack ping. I remember when I was in my late teens I was getting into George Carlin in a big way and I was really on board with most of his stuff, but his extreme hatred and cynicism about the government I just couldn’t take seriously. I should have listened then.

https://youtu.be/07w9K2XR3f0

Lordshmee has issued a correction as of 11:40 on Aug 12, 2023

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

HallelujahLee posted:

probably but it comes off as very probable dnd so who knows

1.a.420.69: Nonsequitur shitposting. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I kinda like the periodic invasions by weird dnd partisans. they’re like vaccine boosters to help keep me ideologically sharp.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

shazbot posted:

I mean I still tip well even if service is bad. maybe the kitchen is backed up, or the server is having a really bad day. having worked in a service profession I get it

tipping is bullshit, but until it goes away you should feel obligated to tip. don’t like it? don’t eat out

This is the way. Also, always tip in cash so the business can’t gently caress them over. Indeed, so that the wait staff can claim no tip and actually keep it all. Restaurants are the shadiest of businesses when it comes to employee exploitation.

e: well ok, no more replying without reading the thread. I will take this opportunity to say, “lol, social security for slave labor.” That’s a hoot. Nobody born after 1980 is getting social security.

Lordshmee has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Nov 2, 2023

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

that got a genuine guffaw out of me. it’s so incredibly stupid. oh my. lmao.

but the greatest thing about it is how seriously it will be taken by so, so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I actually have kind of a soft spot for our local ambulance chaser. He’s spent years putting up billboards with his Mr Clean visage mixed with The Rock eyebrow that say, “Misny makes them pay!”

These days you just see that quixotic expression on a white background with no text. If you know, you know. And he puts them up everywhere