Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Weren't there quite a few games with multiple fatal injuries back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What if there is in fact too many people but the people are actually Westerners whose lives are unsustainable and are murdering the planet and everything on it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Armor and medicine have improved dramatically. Many people survived things that would have been fatal in Vietnam. The flip side is more people losing limbs and other permanent damage poo poo like that.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Didn't this very forum have to crowdfund body armour for U.S. troops at one point?

You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah that's a pic of a stream system lol.

Looks like dirty water frozen on the window and fields on the ground.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It's called a lawyer

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Disregard that man, get a GoPro and smash all the batteries

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

it’s spelled ‘carat’ abbreviates ‘ct’ I’ll take my blunt axe to the neck now

You use karat with gold

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

There's a whole bunch of cross walks north and south of there lol it's all pointless.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Platystemon posted:

What’s the point of tungsten?

More exotic than steel or aluminum while not costing as much as the precious metals so they can pass the savings on to you swallow a huge markup?

They shatter rather than rip your finger off when caught on something etc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Lambert posted:

It's also great for tank ammo.

Depleted uranium :getin:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Inceltown posted:

If the OHSA thread has taught me anything it's that wearing rings is for people who want to get degloved.

Tungsten rings shatter instead of injuring you in horrific ways, which is why they're good.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I lived in rural Maine (central technically, north of Bangor though) for most of my life and the only thing there is depressing poverty. There's no jobs, no industry, just drugs, crime, and beautiful country.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

That's the one weird trick to having unlimited, legal, sex on deployment however

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Weren't the original implementation of those cameras basically the opposite? Private company sending bills that looked scary but people had no legal obligation to pay and the company would split the money with the municipality

I guess that's probably a super regional thing though

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

And don't pay taxes in "combat" zones.

There was a poo poo load of grift going on for a long time with government officials going to very safe/quiet areas, of places designated as tax free, for a quick visit of the troops on a weekend. And then not having to pay any taxes on their income that month.

I was just a kid at the time, but it started a realization in me just how shallow and corrupt all of our leadership is.

Senior officers would take a 4 day weekend to a designated combat zone (which included the R&R places like Qatar and the staging bases in Kuwait) on the last two days of one month and the first two days of the following so they got two tax free months for four days of "effort"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Burger Kings burger sandwich selections are so much better than McDonalds. Huge smoke flavored flame broiled patties available on a variety of styles? Yes please.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Makes sense considering all the giant uncontrolled fires all over the loving place

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

Reminder that the white house gift shop has no actual connection to the white house and is just a store named the "white house gift shop"

Is it connected to trump tho? Seems like his kind of grift

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908857&pagenumber=231&perpage=40&userid=0#post509527539

It starts there and just keeps getting better and better

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Massachusetts weed stores require the online order name to match the state issued ID or passport and then the atm card name has to match as well if you pay with card.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

....250 micrograms is like a baby dose

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

pretty sure my dopamine levels spike whenever I see that wonderful yellow

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Hard G gif but soft G doge

Seems wrong (for doge) but everyone I've met says it like this

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Do your research and know what you want before you ever walk in the door? It's the same as buying anything else really.

Not all car salesman work on commission also. I think some brands won't allow it, maybe the korean ones?

I know a boomer that will drop a bunch of cash on the table and say this is what I'm paying for this car on the lot and every time the salesman doesn't give in they take money off the pile. It's the dumbest game and it takes them multiple dealerships and a poo poo ton of time to get what they want.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The Bloop posted:

This is evidence that you don't know what you're talking about.

Every single facet of vehicle buying is a massively obfuscated scam. Not saying you shouldn't do all the preparation you can, but it is in no way like buying anything else normal people will ever buy.

House buying is complicated but even that is more transparent

I have bought a bunch of cars and motorcycles from dealers over the years and every time I went in, I knew exactly what I wanted and the in-person visit was just to test drive and buy it.

There's dumb poo poo involved with the financing, sure, but you don't have to say yes to any of their poo poo. It's their job to sell it and they make it hard to say no but there is nothing forcing buyers to be uninformed about their tens of thousands of dollars purchases in advance.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Yup that truck is "super white".

No but the truck underneath it is

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Oysters Autobio posted:

other guy really explained the profit margins at work, but my post was more about how in fact, buying a car is not the same as anything else really.

Think about every little action that's done to you in order to manipulate you, psychologically stress you to buy from the moment you get in. Yes, any other buying experience has advertising, sales etc. to influence you, but the car buying experience is special because of how the interaction is taken to a psychotic level. The back-and-forth game of "okay let me go to my sales manager" and the constant non-stop gaslighting ("oh no, I couldn't give you that deal, it's just not possible, that's not normal"). The focusing on the bi-weekly price to get you to buy more, all of the pieces of "closing" the deal.

Then once you "close" the deal with the sales rep after endlessly being talked to like you're stupid and that deal isn't possible, and before you've actually signed anything, they give this big psychological reward of "congratulations! you've bought a car! yay!, go ring that sales bell!" even though the actual negotiation isn't over and nothing is signed because you have to go to the F&I desk and again be pushed stupid warranties you don't need ("Listen, this is about SAFETY, don't you LOVE YOUR CHILD? Modern cars have so many gizwidgets and gadgets now with electronics that could break AT ANY TIME, you NEED this extended warranty"). The guy goes on this big spiel about how transparent he is and how he's just here to advise you on your sale, nothing else (either he has to say that because of legislation or because he thinks it makes him sound more trustworthy).

I made a deal on my last purchase with the sales person, it was clear black and white (for example, one item was free winter tires). I go to the back with the F&I guy, sit through a 2 hour warranty discussion even after being asked if I'm interested and me saying no, and finally get the actual purchase agreement to sign. The manipulation was even to the very end, F&I guy says "okay this is how you read this, you need to read this from the BOTTOM-UP, see, here's your bi-weekly price". I then go and read it from the top-down like any sane person would to see how the numbers add up to the total, and I can see that they put in the winter tires as a COSTED ITEM, not as a free item. Then they talk on the stupid $1000 "document" fee.

First when I pointed it out, without missing a beat the F&I guy says "oh no, those are free, the computer puts it on the purchase agreement for tracking" (even though its black and white because you can see the total price go up), then he goes back to the sales rep, sales rep comes back and gaslights me for another 10 minutes and pretends that I'm mistaken and no, that's not what was agreed, and blah blah blah. Finally, the manager comes in, also goes through a big spiel over how he just can't do that deal. I ask about the doc fee and he says he absolutely has to charge it, has no choice, he even says "I couldn't even get this doc fee taken off for my daughter when she came in!", so I just ask for him to take it off the total price then and leave the doc fee in place. He then goes on again with this big spiel about how its just not possible, how his computer won't even let him put in this price. He then goes on this big act, spins his monitor around and is like "Look, watch when I put in the figures that it doesn't work". Everything adds up fine, and then he turns around finally and says "okay for customer service I can give you this deal, because I want to make a good relationship".

The only saving grace for me was that now post-COVID, you can actually practically buy a car online, so you can go through an online calculator and get a fully costed quote (where I'm in, the law states that they have to advertise "all-in pricing", so whatever the total is has to be the total with any dumb fees attached at the end). If I didn't have that to show them that I could just walk away and do this online without the hassle (and for cheaper then their "deal"), I would have been screwed.

This isn't haggling, this isn't negotiation, it's basically the Milgram experiment operationalized into a business. What was funny, once the papers were signed, the whole experience went 180 and was completely pleasant, the F&I guy was nice to chat with once he wasn't on the "sale" anymore. All my interactions after that were fantastic, very straightforward and transparent.

Seriously, watch any interview on YT with a former car sales person, or watch a doc (like that This American Life podcast episode) to see how they actually strategize about this stuff and talk about customers, it sounds like they are con artists planning a scam. In the podcast, they interview this one sales guy who is absolutely psychotic, who talks about Sun Tzu the Art of War, and predators in the wild and all this poo poo to explain what he does.

500excf type r posted:

I have bought a bunch of cars and motorcycles from dealers over the years and every time I went in, I knew exactly what I wanted and the in-person visit was just to test drive and buy it.

There's dumb poo poo involved with the financing, sure, but you don't have to say yes to any of their poo poo. It's their job to sell it and they make it hard to say no but there is nothing forcing buyers to be uninformed about their tens of thousands of dollars purchases in advance.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can't you just buy a car secondhand off some guy , get a better deal and save yourself all that bullshit

Yes but it requires cash. Buying a used car from a normal human being on craigslist is going to be the best way to get a used car. If not then finance through the financial institution (credit union) you already do business with, know exactly what you want before you walk on to the lot, and there is nothing to sell you. It is just buying.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

got it, there is no such thing as unethical business practices. it's 100% your own fault if you get scammed.

Everyone is trying to eat. Profits are trying to be made. It sucks but that's the way it is and if you know and prepare for that, you give yourself less of a chance of becoming a victim to predatory practices.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The Bloop posted:

You're being a complete dipshit if you're going to keep pretending the selling and buying of a TV from Best Buy and a car from a dealership are even remotely the same process

Ya I spend months deciding on what kind of vehicle to purchase vs hours for a tv, I definitely take spending tens of thousands of dollars more seriously than $350

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The Bloop posted:

None of which is what anyone is talking about, dipshit

Weird so what's the problem then? Should consumers not be encouraged to make informed purchases to protect themselves from the inherently predatory practices of capitalism or is being a low information person hip and cool these days

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Most consumers CANNOT make fully informed purchases when it comes to vehicles because the entire process is intentionally obfuscated at every step.
Of course people should do their best but that doesn't make predatory processes okay and it certainly doesn't make the difference between buying a matchbox car and a real one just a matter of cost scale

Everyone shopping for a car at a dealership has access to all the resources they could need to make a fully informed decision without needed financing from or through the dealer.

Being ignorant is not and should not be a badge of pride.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Oh I see now. You haha
You think hahaha

You think YOU had all the information when you bought a car hahahahaha

I've never felt taken advantage of and imo that is about as good as it gets in this hell world

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

What if a person has an IQ of 90? Do you really believe they can make a fully informed decision and not get taken for a ride by a busines specifically set up to prey on them at every step?

I'll help you shop for a car sweetie, just ask

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

gently caress your people are rational actors when making purchasing decisions framework, you disgusting liberal.

I think it is funny that your go to victim is someone with a slightly below normal iq instead of an autist with zero social abilities.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I would think food retailers would have an incentive towards making EBT/SNAP expanded and easier to use, since it's more money for them if people go to their store for these kinds of things. I had noticed 7-11 added food items that could be purchased via EBT and assumed that was the reason they started offering them in the first place.

The stupid claim of welfare recipients using food stamps for lobster never made sense to me because if they blow their budget on a single lobster then they have no money for food the rest of the month, in which case what loving difference does it make if it's spent on lobster or a bunch of other random stuff, the total amount of welfare money is the same. It's not like EBT is letting you get X items regardless of cost here.

Not only that, but from a capitalistic perspective EBT should be a good thing, since it's more money buying products some company is trying to sell. Shaming and legislating people out of food stamps doesn't just hurt them, it also hurts the people trying to sell these products as well. I thought conservatives liked giving government handouts to support small businesses lol.

It is a good thing and food stamps return like $1.50 for every $1 spent back into the economy, maybe more? It has by far the best return on the investment (for everyone) and no real downside other than everyone can't get some food money

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Congress is privy to lots of information and if they were subject to the same laws as normal people then they wouldn't be able to do their job as well as invest in the stock market so instead they have legal immunity from insider trading regulations and on average their portfolios perform like +15% over baseline average

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Mirthless posted:

$12/hr before deductions, definitely not rich even in 1980s dollars

Homer's kinda got a lovely job

500 a week in 1989 is 1100 a week in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

i am harry posted:

homer tries to drive over protestors in a truck in something like the 4th episode.

Season 4 but it was a day dream and president George h w bush called upon him for help