Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
gonna take a wild guess that the statement ending in !!1! was a sarcastic jest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

On the topic of ADHD thanks to the brilliance of the US medical system my partner wasn't diagnosed until well into adulthood based on the fact they werent previously diagnosed with ADHD. Naturally their first time dropping out of college, bad grades before that or any bad outcomes were things they earned and not the system failing them in ways they're stil paying for.

turns out that a method that requires being diagnosed in childhood doesn't work very well when there's massive political pushback against 'putting too many kids on drugs' for a decade

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

I know like 3 people off the top of my head who def have ADHD but just never got the meds until their mid 20s

One of them got diagnosed even but the parents didn't want to give him meds I guess

the 90s were a wild ride

we're currently in the middle of the same thing, for painkillers. there's a very real opioid epidemic so naturally i go to a clinic that has prominent signs up that they will not prescribe painkillers for anything period (with a largely medicaid population ofc) and tells everyone to take ibuprofen and eat poo poo no matter what

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Do they at least give you a script for the ibuprofen because it's half the price at the pharmacy that way

only for major dental pain

wish i was joking

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Who is the democrat cop who was bragging/laughing about throwing parents in jail if their kids are late for school?

Because this is the kind of thing liberals love.

presidential candidate kamala harris

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, that's her. She'll be a great president I'm sure.

she doesn't openly sexual harass women constantly or loudly support racism so she's way behind biden

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

I will vote for a fascist every time over a fascist pig.

Harris is the pig.

same

i worked for cdcr (not as a co) and saw poo poo, i aint voting for a ca pig

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

It's absolutely hilarious / depressing to me, as a Swede, to see brainwashed Americans talking about unions like they're... i dont know, evil? Communist?? Like how did that even happen? Did rich people just tell the masses that it's in their best interest to let the rich people dictate terms somehow? Where's the logic? I don't get it!

Unions are not scary or evil. They are there as a shield against corporations and managers dictating all the terms so you don't always have to bend over and take it in the rear end constantly

Look at Scandinavia, usually used as examples of very successful countries - they got loving unions. They're not communist hellholes :psyduck:

[€dit] We got over 70% of our working population in unions here. America has like 11%? It's nuts. Like, guys, no wonder your working conditions suck and your bosses get to be dictators? lol

the us federal government dedicated itself to the destruction of unions as a matter of self-preservation (for the capital class) from 1880 through to the 1960s

strikes often were broken by the simple of expedient of sending in the army and killing the strikers until it stopped and the FBI was created specifically to help round up trade unionists

our unions are toothless (can't mandate union membership in a shop, can't lawfully strike except in very specific ways because the most effective strike methods were banned in 1947, and its legal for corporations to just fire everyone and move the business to another shop, or for the government to fire every public employee who dares strike) and their leadership is often beholden to capital because the ones who weren't were murdered for generations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

Pharmaceutical companies are basically rent-seekers. They extract rent from the ill by holding their health and well-being hostage.

literally even poo poo rear end propaganda class macroecon 100 covers elasticity of demand

they don't draw the connection between completely inflexible demand being indistinguishable from extortion but the american people do, which is why m4a is so popular

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

$50! gently caress, I can get Albuterol, Ventolin, and the other one I forget the name of thats good for asthmatics, for 5 euros.
gently caress they sometimes throw in a few for free if they see I was bad.
The mark up on those must be like 95%.

much higher than that, wholesale cost in countries that just ignore pharma patents is $1.12 for a 200 dose inhaler

the actual cost is just, running bioreactors and a handful of chemists

as a chemical the synthesis is quite simple http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/j_hettich/salbutamol/noframes/nfsynthesis.html

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Aug 24, 2019

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the same is true of the vast majority of pharmaceuticals

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

So why isn't there a bootlegger market for cheap medications? Seems like a logical step to do, especially in building non-capitalist production. Is it just the War On Drugs paranoia, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

What do you think Bernie just did, very visibly a little bit ago? The modern equivalent of running moonshine across the border

mycomancy posted:

Running a fermenter or a synthesis lab means making sure the products are sterile, accurately dosed out, and free from contaminants. All of this is STILL hella cheap when reduced to cost per unit, but a biohacker (read: an idiot with a bucket in a basement) wont have this QC and sterility system in place. The result: dead people.

this, it'd be soylent but worse

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

how long we figure before there are no official employees hired anywhere in the us

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Complications posted:

Oh yeah, that's several years in prison and/or a few thousand dollars of fines for just accessing this dude alone and if this guy had any professional credentials WRT tax that's those gone for a while, and the IRS has no sense of humor about this kind of thing. Hopefully whoever got accessed narcs on this guy.

good thing the irs has no budget in the best of times and almost certainly even less given the pandemic

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
if you're a millionaire with a comfortable existence based off your investments hmu so i can pay for facial laser and electrolysis tia

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bike tory posted:

check out this benevolent job creator actually buying employees, you realise that you can just rent them right?

e: if you're in America this might not be the best way to do it actually but in most other countries the government will pay for their upkeep if you do it this way

works fine in america when one breaks you can just get rid of it and rent a new one

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

whaley posted:

how is anyone not a huge alcoholic

even cheap alcohol is loving expensive

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ziv Zulander posted:

A tallboy of steel reserve is like $1.49, but if you want to save up your pennies you can get this stuff

Not in Washington it isn't

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

The Democrats would have the cops call you by your proper pronouns while they book you into the wrong gender holding

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gay_crimes posted:

"im gay" i announce in a soothing baritone as i enter any room with people, i am received with chuckles and raised eyebrows
"obamas an incel" everyone hoots and hollers, whistling and laughing at the irony
"biden is a war criminal and a rapist" crickets, people awkardly look at their phones, throats are clearing and people are nervously eyeing the door behind me
"im gaaaay" i am thrown out of the room

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stevie Lee posted:

the air force propaganda almost got me at 17, with my dad pushing me too. luckily i was too fat to enlist at the time

when my dad threw me out with 1 month's notice when i turned 18 i was real lucky that it was early 2004, so the iraq war made it clear even to my unbelievably stupid teenager brain that homelessness was the better option

if i was even a year older i'da signed up for the death squads lmao

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

boar guy posted:

political affiliation isn't a protected class. you're welcome to fire people based on their political party

as far as federal law is concerned yeah, but plenty of states make it illegal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
why in the actual hell would you leave lego kits assembled

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SchnorkIes posted:

Only desk workers have seen wage gains tho, they won't be left behind by inflation. Also they make more money to do literally nothing all day.

when i did desk work for a decade i topped out at 26k take home and very little is worse than simultaneously having a do nothing job and also being broke as hell, but i was a clerk/receptionist rather than a tech worker

i had benefits tho, and no cold call sales quotas (by a different name, because we were a nonprofit, please) so it was better than call center, but far worse than when i worked as a handyman's assistant for cash under the table (but that's a young man's game and i'm neither anymore lmao)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

I imagine the people who get abused in at tier 1 and the people who run/will run the place are on completely different tracks at these banks.

they are, its failsons of failsons all the way down

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The US is similar, a friend of mine had her appeal rejected by the judge (because afaik literally all disability claims are denied and go to appeal as part of the process) who just threw out everything the government's own psych evaluation had to say, then put in the official judgement that because she had successful gotten on hrt and that is a difficult process she could obviously work

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zil posted:

Just curious if they had a lawyer prepare their case or did she not have representation at the hearing?

No lawyer or representation, too broke

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

im told it’s not just that they’re focused on white women but that they’re all affluent too so the plots are all ennui poo poo like “can’t find a good nanny” etc etc

sounds boring

There's been what, maybe two shows in the entire history of television about people who aren't rich, that's hardly unexpected

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
rather than a libertarian phase I had a phase where I believed in the constitution and the rule of law and the justice system, which was honestly much more shameful

dog eared conlaw textbooks and a copy of the federalist papers festooned with multicolored sticky notes were my equivalent to the fountainhead

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

I dunno, my doctor orders tests and then tells me if the number is high enough that we shold do more tests. Seems polite enough when she does it. :shrug:

these days most places just have non-clinical staff on the HIM side of things call with test results if they red flag, or put a note in the patient portal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

that a huge part of medicine is collaborative working and trusting people/patients

be kinda wild if doctors actually trusted or believed patients who weren't well off white dudes

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Nastier Nate posted:

so im not a fancy big city lawyer but that seems like a crime

nothing's a crime unless a judge says it is

(and the corollary, anything is a crime if a judge says it is)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

word i'm sure that the algorithms won't ever do a racism based on the laws passed by the legislature

or just entirely accidentally for reasons we can't even determine because being racist is just what AI does

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

The fundamental problem with expecting machine learning that predicts any economic outcome or behavior to not be racist-by-default is that unless you put your thumb on the scale affirmative action style, it's just going to print out ream after ream of paper that says "our society is racist and black/brown/indigenous people individually suffer predictably and consistently worse outcomes as a result." You can't ~the data~ your way out of living in a demon cracker nation.

But critically, it's entirely possible to defend yourself legally while you continue to discriminate if you launder it behind math that carefully avoids race but does the exact same poo poo by proxy.

The radiology AI example is phenomenal precisely because it manages to be racist without predicting any economic outcome or behavior. It perfectly manages to align its racism with self assessed ethnicity rather than genetic markers and do so even when provided intentionally junk data from which it should not be able to make any conclusions

AI is absolutely used to launder racism directly over and over again in other cases but even when it isn't or is being deliberately controlled for it ends up being racist anyway

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Advertising for frogmen. :getin:

Honestly with exposed outboards somebody with a .22 and a cooler of beer could keep the water clear

Not exactly hardened equipment

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Nastier Nate posted:

“Labor attorney” is bullshit, I’ve had to deal with them and let me tell you, they aren’t labor attorneys, they’re management attorneys

Lawyers work for money, bosses have the money. Judges work the same way lmao

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you're the actual richest man in the world, why would you build such a boring yacht?

Build something stupid, like this, go all out:

presumably if half a billion dollars gets you his boring yacht then its because something like that thing isn't possible for all the money in the world

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

The SLS is fully stacked and ready to roll out to the pad for a test launch early next year, and as flawed and stupid a program it is I still hope to all gently caress it works so I can have some kind of cool new rocket news to follow that isn't the Elon Musk Epic Le Bacon Pickle Rick Rocket or the Jeff Bezos Felt Emasculated Rocket

china is doing extremely cool poo poo on the moon

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

how do you ply your trade as a professional shoplifter without a fence?

boosters sell poo poo to their neighbors, friends and friends-of-friends

everybody needs clothes, or poo poo from the hardware store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Crazycryodude posted:

It doesn't matter if you have to sell it for 50% of the tag price when every single cent is pure profit for you. That's why people buy from boosters too, it's significantly cheaper. Everyone wins.

yeah, this

also if you're boosting clothes to make a living you're not exactly on the ultraliberal grind trying to make every possible penny, and goodwill can be a lot more valuable for surviving