Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

The Oldest Man posted:

Pedestrians have the right of way here, but PNW drivers will by turns apply that as "anyone on a sidewalk anywhere near the corner means i must wait silently at this stop sign and block traffic indefinitely" when they see a person within one cubic lightyear of the intersection they want to drive through and "oh sorry i rammed your dog in a crosswalk with a lit walk sign because i was too loving stupid to look in the direction of travel before accelerating and therefore you did not exist for me in my babybrain"

Uh I wish I had this problem. In Seattle I've been honked/yelled/revved at for crossing streets at unmarked intersections (which legally acts like a crosswalk and gives me the right of way) and almost killed because a fella in a big ol swingin dick F-250 right by Pike Place tried to gun his left turn to beat me through the crosswalk while I was crossing lol. I used to have to regularly cross at one of the crosswalks painted right at the entrance of a 99 onramp (such a sick design) and the only drivers who would reliably stop to let me cross were semi-truckers.

Basically I agree with Thanatosian that it seems like 60-70% of drivers don't really know traffic laws whatsoever here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Is this basically just a hazing to weed out those who arent vampires

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

The Oldest Man posted:

Crypto mining is going to be considered a crime on par with genocide in a few decades

alhamdulillah

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

PokeJoe posted:

how could you leave out this one

Lmao

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

AxGrap posted:

The original Superman in the thirties was incredible. Clark Kent would be writing a story about a prison warden, coal mine boss with poor working conditions, or someone shaking down people for protection, he would change into Superman and run on telephone wires to the target and they would "accidentally" die. At the end he would say something snarky above their corpse about how how they had it coming in one way or another.

We used to be a country. A proper country

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Koishi Komeiji posted:

This is not a photoshop. You can now buy mighty poo flavored gamer fuel :911:

https://gamersupps.gg/products/guacamole-gamer-fart-9000-by-russianbadger Yum yum

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Zamujasa posted:

some of the poo poo that one general practice place did was real funny. the "group appointment" they tried to get everyone into (to free up single patient appointments) basically had you sign away a bunch of privacy, then in the appointment it was you, the doctor, a few assistants to handle check ins/vitals, and uh, 20 other people seated in a big circle, going through everyone one by one

the only "private" moments were when you were behind the corner for your vitals check and to discuss what you were there for and anything the doctor should know

notably not private was the general conversation between you and the doctor, which is how i got to hear the medical problems and ongoing issues of the 11 people in front of me in line

greatest health care in the world

What.... da gently caress

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

BonHair posted:

Irregardless, the words have literally changed their meaning, so now chai and tea mean two different things. Compare French blanc with English black for a fun extreme example.

Superficially this is inaccurate since the cognate of "blanc" in English is "blank", which doesn't contrast in the way you're describing. But comparing the etymologies of "black" and "blank", it seems the situation there is odder than I anticipated:

wiktionary posted:

From Middle French blanc, from Old French blanc, from Late Latin, Vulgar Latin *blancus, a borrowing of Frankish *blank, from Proto-Germanic *blankaz (“bright, shining, blinding, white”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰleyǵ- (“to shine”).

wiktionary posted:

From Middle English blak, black, blake, from Old English blæc (“black, dark", also "ink”), from Proto-West Germanic *blak, from Proto-Germanic *blakaz (“burnt”) (compare Dutch blaken (“to burn”), Low German blak, black (“blackness, black paint, (black) ink”)[1], Old High German blah (“black”)), possibly from Proto-Indo-European *bʰleg- (“to burn, shine”) (compare Latin flagrāre (“to burn”), Ancient Greek φλόξ (phlóx, “flame”), Sanskrit भर्ग (bharga, “radiance”)).
So both "black" as dark and "blank" as light seem to have probably evolved from a root for "burning, shining", which suggests that their contrasting meanings correspond to temporal aspects of the process of burning something. First it's bright and radiant and then it's charred and dark. I wonder if that *blakaz/*blankaz distinction corresponds to any Proto-Germanic grammatical pattern for progression vs. perfection in a verb but I'm too lazy to go to my bookshelf and research right now

I leave it up to you to decide if this still seems similar to the "chai"/"tea" doublet

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Antonymous posted:

it is an all time funny tweet like that kamala one about forgiving student loans if you open a business in a disadvantaged area or some poo poo. very funny

I suppose I will take this opportunity to revisit this hall of famer as well

https://twitter.com/joekennedy/status/1258900004623835136?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

i am harry posted:

my favorite one was a super soaker with paint in it and they sprayed a giant 8===D on the side of some landlords house
Not loving funny.