Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Thoguh posted:

Are we still capitalists in the new Dem thread?

we always will be and thats just the way it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

If your office is gonna go this route make sure to let your boss know that your emailing them while taking a dump

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Maybe not the next democrat president, but certainly shortly after we're gonna elect someone running on a platform of "kill whitey" and speaking as a white person we probably deserve it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Finicums Wake posted:

i press play on the video. i hear bernie say "you, the young people of this country, are leading the nation and the congr—" before i start to scream fangirlishly alongside the video

There has never been a democrat in my life that could evoke this kind of excitement except for possibly 2008 Obama.

Better stick with the centrists though, that's how you win elections folks. Sensible policies, realistic expectations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

loving looooooool

look how much weight that Obama endorsement carried

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I like warren for the most part but I don’t see her unseating trump

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

“Rudimentary knowledge of mortars”’is what broke my brain.
Thanks America

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I read this and my first thought was "There's a progressive Democrat caucus?" where the gently caress have they been?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Grondoth posted:

I know it's common in the succ zone to downplay this russia stuff cause it's a good excuse for the dems to do ffffffffuckin' nothing, but there was a russian spy doing poo poo with the NRA and 12 russian agents were indited for election bullshit and Trump straight up said it was a good idea for russia to help with the investigation by having their agents come look at our election infrastructure; this is... kinda a bit of a holy poo poo they're jsut saying it out loud moment?

I think the best thing to do is kinda what Bernie said; tie it into international oligarchs running everything. Cause that's what russia is, it's the end result of rich assholes stealing all the state's resources and becoming SUPER rich assholes who run their country and want more money. I think it's a mistake to wave this away, one because it's kinda bonkers and no one should be meddling in elections, including us and we do it all the time; and two because it makes every republican look really bad and their whole party needs to be destroyed for us to make progress.

If dems are gonna talk about the Russia investigation, it should be pointed out that the pot of gold at the end of the Mueller rainbow isn't going to be some nebulous "collusion" charge (which is true, but who cares? and as said, we've meddled in more countries internal politics then anyone) but the decades of financial crimes that Trump and the GOP have committed, defrauding anyone and everyone they could.

Even when we do catch these rich fuckers red-handed we're lucky to get a slap on the wrist. We don't even have to go far for an example, as the $25 million Trump university settlement, which scammed thousands of American's who thought Trump was a financial genius ended up costing him not even 1% of his net worth.

Jailing these fuckers on the billions of dollars they've laundered, defrauded and stolen from the American people would be a good start to letting the rest of them know they're not above the law. I don't have any faith that's what is actually gonna happen but it sounds nice.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

isn't his production company called higher ground productions or did I hallucinate that

edit: ah Christ https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/22/613246456/obamas-sign-content-deal-with-netlfix-form-higher-ground-productions

I hope Stevie Wonder sues him

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ThndrShk2k posted:

I call into question Hillary being anything remotely close to 'magnetic' on her own.

My take is that at some point in her life Hillary Clinton was an authentic, kind of quirky and sometimes even fun young woman. Sure she'd never be a Bill or Obama but at least she could have been a regular human being that someone might have liked, or at least have been bland or inoffensive like the majority of American politicians. Then she decided she would focus test her persona out to a consultant and did her best to do whatever bullshit notes came back at the time. This woman who was born and raised in Chicago and went to school in the Northeast had a southern accent in the 90s when she needed to win over Arkansas voters, then dumped it for a Yankees cap when she carpetbagged her way into the senate.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I wish Obama would be more like George Bush.
gently caress off to some ranch to paint awful pictures, enjoy your millions of dollars and stay the hell out of politics.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's very simple: Cynthia is going to win because the pundits think that there's no way she will, and the pundits are wrong about everything.

counterpoint: better things aren't possible and AOC was an outlier. Either that or in this hellscape timeline Joe Crowley is gonna win on his 3rd party ballot

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

mastershakeman posted:

I'm extremely mad to find out that 30 rock did the fiscally liberal socially conservative bit years ago

Dennis Duffy was a proto-chud

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Over Easy posted:

I can't wait for the mid terms to be over so we can dive right the gently caress into the 2020 shitstorm. It's going to be so hosed, and in ways we cannot even comprehend atpit. Try to remember the person you were before the 2016 election. That person is dead and the new you is only going to get newer. Not in any kind of good way, mind you.

The essential truth of the Freep thread, that there is always more and it is always worse, has generalized to our entire society.

What will happen? I dunno but it is going to be catastrophic and hilarious.

Or we could get into a situation where 20 democrats are running to be the most deocromous head of the resistance and it's a loving snoozefest right up until they get pummeled in the general. Even Bernie, who is mostly good still has a serious case of decorum brain poisoning.

If that happens, 2024 is gonna be the real shitstorm.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Can I get a succ zone recap:

House GOP set up a vote on a symbolic bill to abolish ICE that every member of congress knew full well would never ever pass.
Democrats, when faced with the option to cast said symbolic vote to eliminate the organization that ripped babies from their mothers and threw them in cages, decided it was not "politically convenient" to do so.
That more or less accurate?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Raskolnikov38 posted:

iirc theres some dumb rule in the house that only lets you reintroduce legislation if you vote against, so you vote no if its not going to pass

Ah yes, because you definitely don't want to waste the chance to reintroduce the bill again in the same GOP controlled congress cause it might pass that time.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
It's funny that house republicans voted like 37 times or some poo poo to repeal Obamacare knowing it wasn't gonna pass but no one said "oh we can't do this cause it's not politically convenient" or "we don't have a plan to replace it!" they just did it so they could their tell frothing base they had some actual convictions.

Meanwhile now dems are in the same position and the GOP teed up for them a chance to be against the baby cagers and they're all like "oooh no we can't vote for this political stunt! what will the moderate suburban republicans think?"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Over Easy posted:

Gotta make sure we focus like a laser beam on this $5,000 sum in the era of 1.5 billion dollar campaigns.

Since he’s a lefti leaning democrat we’re gonna have to throw the book at him.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
hello fellow suck zoners, I think I'm gonna run for office as a democrat, here are my signature platforms

1. tax credits for energy efficient dishwashers
2. ethically sourced quinoa for all goverment buildings
3. a non-binding resolution saying that ICE agents are mean and we'd like them to behave better when caging babies

can someone point me to the nearest $200/hour DNC approved consultant?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Can you imagine the piss-poor slap on the wrist the Russia investigation would have resulted in if Comey hadn't been fired?

At least with Mueller in charge we might see a few of Trump's lackeys thrown in jail in hilarious fashion. A Jared Kushner scalp would be the best we can hope for.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Mueller is a trashman. Don't get your hopes up.

well obviously, but if he locks a few people up for my amusement I'll consider it a net positive.

i.e. Paul Manafort facing like 4 lifetimes worth of prison time

Any serious consequences that come from his team are directly related to Trump making GBS threads on the FBI and Comey.
If Trump had kept nice with Comey we wouldn't even be able to hope for that much.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Leslie Knope was the most liberal lib that ever libbed. She worshipped Abuela, Joe Biden, Madeline Albright, the Obamas, literally every bad dem.

Parks & Rec was still awesome though.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Al! posted:

how come bernie always wears the same blazer

Bernie has told an anecdote about when he was first elected mayor of Burlington he only owned 1 suit that he would have to wear everyday until he could afford another one. Of course now that he's a 1%er with THREE BEACH HOUSES he probably owns all sorts of suits...tailored too!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
nina turner is wasted on cnn

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Fleetwood posted:

Trump has like a 90% approval rating amongst Republicans. Dems, dumb

It should also be noted that most of that 10% come election day will either vote straight R anyway or leave the ballot blank before they vote for a democrat.

But the dems are gonna move just right far enough to swing that impressionable 25% of that 10%

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Ok let's see what we can salvage here

gradenko_2000 posted:

SUCC!!!

1. American Investment Bank

2. Innovation Trust Fund

3. Broadband for All and nationalize the telecoms

4. Boomer Corps

5. Small Business Bill of Rights

6. Reemployment Insurance (sure, why not)

7. College Value Guaranteed at any public university

8. Apprenticeship America

9. Working Wage Break (adjust numbers to reflect new min wage below)

10. Regional minimum wage starting at $15/hour

11. Universal Private retirement better Social Security

12. Paid Parental Flex leave Plan

13. eat the rich

14. medicare for all

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'll give alot of leeway to the succ dem that humiliates Ted Cruz. Beto could be to the right of Joe Manchin and it would be worth it to expel Cruz from public life.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Gio posted:

serious question: why isn’t the workplace democracy act front and center along with medicare for all? the most i ever see is token support for unions, never how we’re going to rebuild unions and expand unionization.

it pisses me off because i think it’s a huge sell, especially in MI.

are you asking why the corporate backed democratic party isn't more pro-union?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Agean90 posted:

dems are gonna lose senate seats this fall lol

https://twitter.com/DKElections/sta...genumber%3D2846

Florida should be a slam dunk but leave it to democrats to find a way to blow it.
They gonna lose the governor race too?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress it really is like the cold war never ended

Reagan didn't win the cold war, we just stopped particpating

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm trying to read through the Dems' summary of their "Aim Higher Act", but even the summary is still sixteen pages long, and constantly refers to obscure programs and metrics that no one has ever loving heard of. i can only imagine how bad the actual bill text must be

though really, I'm used to reading boring legalese. I used to post in d&d, after all. the bigger problem is that I'm loving sick of reading "the GOP bill would cut this program, but not only are we not going to cut this program, we're also going to expand it in some minor way". its repeated over and over again, and I'm pretty sure the only reason half these changes were made was because the Dems also released a whitepaper directly comparing the two bills and wanted to pad it with more stuff

the GOP bill is directly mentioned by bill number no less than 33 times in that 16-page summary

Wait it's actually called the "Aim Higher Act"?

come on guys...are they a subsidiary of Higher Ground Productions too?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ThndrShk2k posted:

*:shrug: Not our fault no one hires fulltime with benefits anymore :shrug:

My favorite are the succ dems who put together a $20 million grant to convince states to figure out SOME POSSIBLE WAY where gig economy workers working 60 hours a week, 3 part time jobs get health insurance and pto.

I guess we'll just never figure out a way to get those people health care, sorry guys.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

to be fair, wtf is Schumer gonna say to red state dems to keep them in line?

Schumer can't even resistance the opposition party, he must be completely worthless within his own.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shear Modulus posted:

he could say "vote for kavanaugh and you can say goodbye to any chance ill do any fundraisers for you"

red state dem to chuck schumer: You mean I can vote the way I want AND I don't have to be seen with you in public??? sign me the gently caress up

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Agean90 posted:

Schumer is a massive joke who's unwillingness to even do the bare minimum his position demands has completly destroyed any authority he has. Any attempt to threaten anyone would be met with riotous and well deserved laughter and if he had any self awareness he would step down as leader after the midterms.

He won't ofc so it will be a massive fight to boot the useless poo poo out. Most jarringly it won't even be due to any particular skill or cunning on his part, it'll just be because the system automatically protects fucks like him.

Schumer is of course garbage, but aside from Bernie (who is not even a democrat!) who would even step forward to want to be minority leader and not be totally loving useless at it?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I'm sure Ben Jealous is decent and Bernie's endorsement carries a lot of weight but Larry Hogan is the most popular governor in the country right now and he's got cancer pity points. If he loses re-election then that means the blue wave is so strong it swept a super majority into the house and senate, and I don't think anyone here thinks that's gonna happen.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I get it guys, you want me to chip in a few bucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Love to be a democrat to the right of Marco loving Rubio on military spending.

edit: Rand Paul didn't vote, Flake wasn't there and McCain's still dying in AZ

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

docbeard posted:

I don't think Obama has endorsed anyone in Minnesota yet. But I'm sure he'll get around to her in his second round hahahahahahahaha lol

Imagine being the bad dem disappointed you didn't make the first round, and then :f5:ing to see if your on the 2nd.